SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
February 4, 2008

Welcome....

Posted: 08:29 AM ET

....to the roll-out of the SciTechBlog. The CNN Sci-Tech team hopes to make this a regular stop for you to find news and insight on breaking stories on Science, Technology, gadgets, the environment, space, and more.

Think of us as Geeks Bearing Gifts.

It's my privilege to work with some very smart and talented producers, as well as our Tech and Environment Correspondent, Miles O'Brien. You'll see input, perspective, and behind-the-scenes entries from all of us. And Miles will weigh in regularly with special features under the banner "Miles from Earth."

In addition to what's in the headlines, we hope to un-cover some of the stories that aren't being covered. Keep an eye on this spot, and thanks for stopping by.

Peter Dykstra, Executive Producer, CNN Sci-Tech

Filed under: Uncategorized

Mark Love   February 4th, 2008 12:12 pm ET

I hope you guys spend a fair amount of time addressing the issue of scientific illiteracy. There is far too much coverage in the popular press of "pseudo-science" and just plain bunk. There is no dearth of subjects to address – astrology, UFOs, alien abductions, telekinesis, crystal power and especially "intelligent design".

How about a voice for scientific literacy?

Dale Cruse   February 4th, 2008 1:15 pm ET

Bank in 1999 when I was the lead editor of the SciTech portion of the CBSNews.com website, this is the sort of thing I would have killed for. Congratulations! http://www.drinksareonme.net

Rashiid Amul   February 4th, 2008 2:15 pm ET

I will be here often. Thank you for providing such a site from a well respected company.

stevo   February 4th, 2008 2:33 pm ET

Suckers. It's free if you have digital broadcast in your area.

Daniel M.   February 4th, 2008 2:39 pm ET

I am pleased that you are doing a new sci-tech blog...I can never get enough information about the latest science and tech developments...so this will be a regular stop for me at cnn.com.

Ruth G. Harmon   February 4th, 2008 2:53 pm ET

The first and continuing subject is Global Warming. Mark Love's list is a waste of time as he well knows. I hope this will develop into a worthwhile visit. We will wait and see. Good luck.

Jeff   February 4th, 2008 3:25 pm ET

Why wait for a fancy converter box? I bought a $50 indoor antenna at Radio Shack, hooked it up to my 50-inch plasma HDTV, and I watched the Super Bowl in HD and didn't give the cable company an extra nickel. I'm 28 miles from the HD antennas the local tv companies broadcast from and it comes in great! I'm tired of the cable company nickel and dimeing me to death, and I've found a way to beat them!

Josh W.   February 4th, 2008 6:42 pm ET

If CNN and its readers are truly interested in "saving" the environment, the first topic of discussion should be global population control. If the world can first get to zero pop growth, we will be able to witness whether innovation can actually improve environmental conditions. Until then, we'll continue to have increased pollution, usage of landfill space, and drastic climate changes. Not to mention increases in crime, prison population, and poverty with decreases in attention to education.

First step: let's stop encouraging folks to have more than 2 children by giving tax deductions on a per child basis. Maybe allow for some deduction for the first two but then a half on the third, and then none on the fourth and thereafter.

Alex   February 5th, 2008 6:50 am ET

Great to see some focus on this type of subject(s)! I look forward to seeing how this develops and matures. Thanks, CNN.com – yet another reason to firmly remain as my 'home-page'...

ewsp87   February 5th, 2008 10:02 am ET

First, this is a great idea for a blog.

Second, why are people posting comments for other articles here. This is the welcome to the blog article not the HDTV one.

Third, Josh W. I would like to decrease the "Surplus population" also. Why don't we start with idgets like you🙂

Disha   February 5th, 2008 10:12 am ET

Miles Great start. Wish you all the best.

It will be good to discover technologies which has social impact . There are tons of technology review sites but very few which cuts across society,space,cyberspace.

I am a school teacher by profession. Its amusing that so many web 2.0 communities are pulling students away from their studies . Will they ever find time to do their projects. I found this blog by a school teacher who is trying to put web 2.0 for a good use. Read this http://paulhami.edublogs.org/2008/01/29/postalz-online-resource/ . Here is pushing students to use http://www.postalz.com because “….This is the sort of application that engages me. It may just engage some of your students who are otherwise less engaged than you’d like….” . Incidentally found another School teacher seems to share his interest about postalz (its an online postcard exchange web service ) http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2008/01/28/postalz/ .

Hope to find something interesting on your blog which I will share with my students.

janisyed   February 5th, 2008 11:45 am ET

great to see that all nerdy's will have a blog to comment on.

Jani Syed

maninmoon   February 5th, 2008 2:57 pm ET

is anyone tracking the spy satalite that is falling to earth the size of a bus were is it going to land and what kind of chemicals are on it i heard may land near missouri near fault line

Richard   February 5th, 2008 5:28 pm ET

This blog's looking good already. I'm sure I'll be coming back loads.

BioArt   February 5th, 2008 6:49 pm ET

gee.... this sounds a lot like http://scitechguy.com

Melissa Siracusa   February 6th, 2008 2:04 am ET

Just F.Y.I. for all your readers who bought a X-Box 360 this year. I bought a new X-Box from Walmart as a Christmas present for my son. When it arrived via Federal Express, It was not working properly. So I read the return instructions that stated, Please do not return to retailer for repair or exchange, instead, please call 18004myxbox for repair instructions. So I called, and they sent a pre paid box to my house so that I could return the X-Box to Microsoft to repair. Well, about 3 weeks went by and finally I recieved my X-Box back from Microsoft. To my dissapointment the power cord would not plug in to the back power supply. I did some research, and found out they sent me last years model, a old X-Box!! The older model that there were so many problems with. They Swapped my brand new X-Box with a old Re-Rurbished one and knew that my power supply would not work with the old model. I called back and have yet to reach a resolution. Do you think that this is Un Ethical business practice? I really would have rather returned my X-Box to Walmart for a new one and not gone through this hassle. I just wanted to inform your Tech readers to this problem and tell them to take their X-Box back to the retailer rather that sending it back to the repair center, Because you never know what you will wind up with.

Allen N Wollscheidt   February 6th, 2008 8:32 am ET

You have omitted one of the most important topics -

The outlook for revolutionary changes in personal and goods transportation as the century progresses.

Other omitted topics include -

Comprehensice and far reaching changes in residential and commercial building construction techniques;

The precipitous decline of open-field commodity agriculture in favor of industrialized production without traditional living plants;

Sustainable energy production situated on 10-mile-scale artificial islands on the high seas;

and more.

Richard   February 6th, 2008 4:03 pm ET

@Disha: " Its amusing that so many web 2.0 communities are pulling students away from their studies . Will they ever find time to do their projects."

I'm as bad as anyone else. But hey, at least by blogging yo'u're learning at the same time.

Keep up the good work CNN!

Richard

Ginny Baumann   February 6th, 2008 6:17 pm ET

Hi Folks,

We saw two stories on the morning news with Kyran, one about the older man who figured out a way to make water into a fuel for his cutting torch, and then he adapted his car with the technology so that it runs on water. The other was more recent about the little boy in the Portland Oregon area who made his own snow. These two should be brought together and introduced to Warren Buffet, whose "encouragement" of these two brains might well result in -- Who even knows? I'd love to see the older gentleman's technology applied to converter kits for ALL vehicle types in America, retro-fitting kits that might be had for a decent cost, say $500. Anyone with a car could come up with that much money in order to be able to use water rather than petroleum. And this should stimulate the desalinization plant and water reclamation industries – if we all use water for our cars, we need to find or create it. The possibilities are endless and very exciting. I hope the oil companies haven't gotten to him and bought up his patent, only to sequester it with all the rest of the resource-saving patents they have managed to purchase. Please do a follow-up on these stories.

Rick   February 7th, 2008 1:44 pm ET

Miles O'Brian???

Isn't that a character from Star Trek?

Leave Your Comment