SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 4, 2008

Get Your Game On: PSP gamers find "God"

Posted: 02:41 PM ET

It's a big day for PSP owners as Sony's popular "God of War" franchise makes its debut on the popular hand-held system.

Instead of "porting" a previous incarnation of the series to the hand-held system, "God of War: Chains of Olympus" is an original release created exclusively for the PSP by developer Ready at Dawn.

Having had a several early opportunities to play the game, I can tell you the graphics and game play are on par with what you might expect from a full-size Playstation 2 console, finally making good on what was promised when the PSP was first introduced: a PS2 experience that you can take with you.

Sony is betting that "God of War: Chains of Olympus" will be a "hardware mover," a game so good that non-owners will be inspired to adopt the system just to play it. According to Sony's John Koller, Senior Marketing Manager, "this is the game to bring people over to the PSP."

For hardcore fans of "God of War," it's must-have title. For those who can afford to wait, Sony is planning on releasing a special themed edition of the PSP console later this summer.

Dubbed the "God of War Entertainment pack," Sony is releasing a special red "God of War" edition of the PSP console and bundling it with a copy of the game, the raunch-comedy "Superbad" on UMD and a download link for a digital copy of the upcoming "Syphon Filter Combat Ops."

Though Sony is clearly going after new users with this bundle, the limited edition packaging will undoubtedly appeal to current owners also, with as many as one in three expected to purchase the bundle just to have the console, according to Sony's sales research.

According to the latest market research, Sony's PSP still trails rival Nintendo's hand-held DS system in sales, however that lead has shown signs of shrinking.

- Matt West, CNN Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Games • Gaming

Kratos   March 5th, 2008 6:46 am ET

YeeeaaahhhHH!!!
Finally it's here, I've been waiting so long to play this, I really hope that the PS3 version follows soon!

Gregory Woods Wow   March 5th, 2008 12:24 pm ET

this iz sick

Holden Wagner   March 5th, 2008 1:18 pm ET

This is very dissapointing to those of us who cannot afford the system. I have been a fan of this game ever since it first came out. It's tough when you know "Chains of Olympus" is available but you can't play it right away or even at all. The same goes with the PS3 version. It's depressing.

AreYouKidding?   March 5th, 2008 1:34 pm ET

1 out of 3 PSP owners are suckers.

Bill   March 5th, 2008 2:18 pm ET

God of War is one of the best titles period. On the PS2 or PSP. This is the PSP game to have in 2008, and if you don't own a PSP, it's the reason to get one.

Ryan   March 5th, 2008 2:42 pm ET

This looks like a pretty sweet deal, but just as an FYI "Syphon Filter Combat Ops" is already out and has been for about a month.

Bill   March 5th, 2008 3:15 pm ET

AreYouKidding?
"1 out of 3 PSP owners are suckers."

Suckers? No we are just people with incomes and high standards. Not like 12 year old DS owners who want games to coincide with the lastest crap on cartoon network. (adult swim not implied) I am on my 3rd PSP,.. I sold my Gen 1, and now i own 2 slims. I will also buy the God of War Spec Edition. Not because PSP, but because GOW. Go ask somebody.

Eric   March 5th, 2008 3:59 pm ET

For those that don't have a PSP, don't worry. This game will be available on PS2 eventually or maybe even as download from the PS store.

Think about Liberty City Stories. That made the jump. Count on Kratos coming over too.

Phil Higgins   March 5th, 2008 4:11 pm ET

"According to the latest market research, Sony’s PSP still trails rival Nintendo’s hand-held DS system in sales, however that lead has shown signs of shrinking."

Oh yes, I'm sure Nintendo's worried about that shrinking lead...

DS sales through 12/31/07: ~65 million units worldwide
PSP sales through 12/31/07: ~20 million units worldwide

That being said, I own and love both systems, plenty of great titles to be found on each, they have their own strengths/weaknesses, and I'm definitely looking forward to grabbing God of War this weekend.

Mexican_Amazon   March 5th, 2008 4:34 pm ET

I've already picked the game up for my husband and it will be waiting for him when he gets back from school. He's also receiving a gift card for our anniversary to purchase the special edition 'God of War" PSP bundle when it comes out. The only downfall is I won't be able to watch him play this one since it's on the PSP. I'm not a gamer, but I've enjoyed watching him play the previous games on the PS2.

Arzach   March 5th, 2008 4:35 pm ET

PSP may have "high standards" graphically, but DS beats it hollow in terms of gameplay and value. Case in point: Advance War series on the DS- Beat them in 30 days but tremendous replayability. Played each release right up to the release of the next in the series. PSP Field Commander- beat it in a month and sold it. no replay value. difficult interface. The touch-screen on the DS is superb for games like this. I will no doubt acquire God of War but I'd buy lots more PSP games if they were consistently as playable as the DS games.

John   March 5th, 2008 5:42 pm ET

Sorry Bill. I'm a PSP owner, but your comment just validated AreYouKidding?'s "statistic."

Average Joe   March 5th, 2008 8:10 pm ET

The PSP looks good in red, maybe I'll get it if I can get someone to buy my Gen1. Oh, and God of War rocks!.

BinaryQuasar   March 5th, 2008 10:47 pm ET

Just another great reason to own a DS instead of a PSP. Don't waste your money on this one.

bill   March 6th, 2008 12:12 am ET

I can't wait to get the red PSP!!! I'm getting 2!
Arzach, i am sorry that you are not enjoying your PSP for RPG games. The DS is definately your boy.
If you are turn based game player (aka RPG), I totally respect that, but to flame the PSP's "game play" for an RPG like Field Commander, while neglecting REAL TIME action power houses like GOW or GTA, or Tekken, or Man Hunt, or Ace Combat, Wipe Out, Burn Out, EA sports anything,. etc..etc.. it is a poor judgment of the system as a whole. And THAT was my point between the DS and the PSP. One is a portable computer entertainment console,. one is a Gameboy with a touch screen. Value? ,.. what do you do with your PSP besides play RPGs? (not that there is anything wrong with that) Buying a PSP to play RPGs is like buying a 8800gt video card to play yahoo poker. Have you watched a wide screen UMD movie hooked up your your HD TV yet? It's native 16:9 progressive aspect and beautiful mpeg4 AVC quality RIVALS DVDs.

dvlordofthesith   March 6th, 2008 11:33 am ET

I own both a PSP and DS. The PSP's problem is that it has very few good games. GOW will finally add some power to the lineup. others I love siphon filter dark mirror, MG portable ops, dracula chronicles and number of good ps1 role playing ports. also FF VII crisis core tells me the PSP is getting better. The DS still has the upper hand. more fun games and the controls with the stylus are unique and fun. phatom hourglass is a blast!!!! so it just depends on what games you like playing more. IF the PSP would add a second joystick so that it played more like current controlers I think then the PSP would give the DS a run for its money. I guess we will see.

quiddd   March 6th, 2008 12:00 pm ET

why's that areyoukidding? (not that im going to get a response)

Bill   March 6th, 2008 4:53 pm ET

Yeah,... no good games.... No-name titles,. by fly-by-night game makers.

IT DOES NEED A 2ND ANALOG STICK THOUGH!!!

free   June 25th, 2008 3:00 am ET

good job man, thank you.

123psp   July 28th, 2008 4:58 pm ET

Very informative article. I just created a private blog where you can download PSP games, videos, music and themes. Email me and I will send you the URL and invitation code. http://123psp.blogspot.com/

didi puaka   November 16th, 2008 6:00 am ET

man,i love god of war!!

Luis Howard   May 12th, 2010 9:05 am ET

I easily get addicted to PSP games and i am always updated with the newest PSP games in town.-":

Car Equalizers   August 18th, 2010 3:10 pm ET

we are addicted to playing PSP Games at home, we play at least 5 games a day:-;

Logan Baker   October 5th, 2010 4:51 pm ET

PSP games are time consuming but very entertaining*~-

Shower Pump    October 20th, 2010 8:13 am ET

i got lots of PSP Game collections on my PC, i love to play them all night long~.~

Trike Motorcycles ·   November 9th, 2010 9:33 pm ET

PSP games have very very good graphics and the gameplay is always great :

internationale transporte   October 7th, 2011 2:48 am ET

Internationale transporte firma

Gaylene   April 4th, 2013 1:56 am ET

A person necessarily help to make severely articles I might state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? Gaylene http://infoshos.ru/ru/?idn=10424

Leave Your Comment