SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
May 31, 2008

Mike Griffin's week on CNN

Posted: 03:04 PM ET

Mike Griffin may have set a record this week for appearances on CNN by the NASA Administrator (or "Code A" as they call him inside the agency). We met on Sunday at the jet Propulsion Lab for the Phoenix landing on Mars. On Tuesday, he appeared on American Morning and he just sat down for an interview with us here at the Cape. But for those of us who keep track of such things, he gets "credit" for six interviews. There werre a ton of people around us as we taped the JPL interview, and they created a visual and aural distraction. We had to abort the interview twice before finally getting it right. Then today, just as he sat down to speak with me, a pair of NASA Huey choppers made an appearance near the Press Site (we call it "the Mound") and started re-enacting scenes from "Apocalypse Now" or something. I didn't hear any Wagner – but then again I couldn't hear myself think. When it became evident they were loitering in the vicinity, I released Code A to do other media calls (little did the chopper pilots know they were messing up the Boss's schedule). Anyway, he came back a short time later and we finally put something on tape. So for those of you keeping score at home, Code A, in a sense, logged six interviews with CNN this week.

Miles O'Brien/Space Correspodent

Filed under: NASA • Space • Uncategorized

Al   May 31st, 2008 5:11 pm ET

Did anyone else see that piece of material fly off the main engine and hit the shuttle just as O'Brien was talking about such damage?

Al   May 31st, 2008 5:11 pm ET

Acutally, I meant that it flew off the external fuel tank.

Mark   May 31st, 2008 5:16 pm ET

You said "January 2002" is when the Columbia's foam piece broke off. It was January 2003. Otherwise good coverage except for that mistake.

George Smythe   May 31st, 2008 5:22 pm ET

Let NASA's Mission Control SPEAK!

There was an excellent, technically correct commentary going on from NASA itself as Miles talked on and on. I don't want to hear a correspondent (however well qualified) water down the technical content in their commentary. Let it run on its own – from two minutes berfore the launch until the orbiter is out of the pic.

In addition, you go on about doing it in high definition, and then you cut off 15% of the (originally properly composed) picture with that election stuff that's been on ALL DAY, and as we went to the long range cams, you plastered a display OVER the pic of the tail and plume. You didn't have to – you just did. Basically, you RUINED the pix of the launch.

If you want to do it right, perhaps a ticker running below (that takes only the lowest 5% of the screen – NO MORE) can call out things being seen in the pic if NASA's commentary doesn't cover it.

GSM 20080531

Aussie Jane   June 1st, 2008 4:05 pm ET

I agree, the political banner did block my view of some of the launch. I don't think it would have been that hard to change the screen resolution of the video footage so that they could show both. Or CNN could have suspended the banner for the 12 minutes of the launch. I saw the foam pieces come off too, so I will have to trust NASA that it is not a big deal, because of how late in the launch they came off.

Mike Smitreski   June 2nd, 2008 7:32 am ET

I am so bored with the 'election news'...I'd vote for Griffin for President before any of those other clowns...

sergio   June 21st, 2008 4:08 pm ET

I think this is great. But why do we spend so much money to find out that there is ice in Mars. It's time that we focus in the problems in our own planet. We know there is ice in Earth and guess what? It's melting. We should do something about it.

Leave Your Comment