SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
July 16, 2008

First impressions of E3

Posted: 12:58 PM ET
When I arrived in Los Angeles to cover the E3 Media and Business Summit - the year's biggest trade show for the video-game industry - I didn't quite know what to expect.

Walking into the L.A. Convention Center, the first visions that struck my senses were the rhythmic motions of wannabe musicians. Whether players were strumming away on 'Rock Band' or waving wands to the beat on a Wii, music games jumped to the forefront of the E3 Expo.

This year's scaled-down event leaves behind the memories of booth babes and ever-expanding displays of gaming might, yet still holds visual surprises with all the vendors displaying their latest releases on mounted TVs at once. EA's 'Mirror's Edge' caught my eye right away with its solid graphics and focus on first-person running instead of shooting.

- Dan Wright, Senior Producer, CNN.com Live

Filed under: Gaming

Larian LeQuella   July 16th, 2008 1:13 pm ET

I am so bummed they have really cut back on who gets to go to E3. I had such a great time there back in the day of Booth Babes and the all out competition for your attention. Those were the days of ENTERTAINMENT in E3. 😉

Thanks for the report. Any word on Warhammer Online?

Amanda Morgan   July 16th, 2008 2:01 pm ET

I'm a moderate to hardcore gamer. The toning down of E3 was disappointing, but even more so this year is the content of the show. There's only a few big games coming out, but most of the info the gaming community already knew. What's more is that while I can appreciate games being made to the casual player to get them involved, especially true with Nintendo, that game developers and companies seem to be focusing on them more than their traditional player base. I know I for one feel let down over Nintendo ignoring their more hardcore, longtime supporters.

Kevin   July 16th, 2008 2:32 pm ET

Wow, thank god E3 cut back on the type of people who can go to their show. How else would we get in depth and unbiased coverage of what occured their like "still holds visual surprises with all the vendors displaying their latest releases on mounted TVs at once" Brilliant!! Its almost like I was there and had some sort of notion about video games.

Perhaps if CNN in the future feels the need to go to E3 they could send someone who has more interest in the topic, or could at least elaborate more than 3 paragraphs which have no real content.

Quincyjones   July 16th, 2008 2:36 pm ET

That's it? You call that a report? I could have written that from halfway across the world... could you be more vague?

Gawd!

Eric   July 16th, 2008 3:24 pm ET

Any word on Diablo?

brightshadow   July 16th, 2008 3:35 pm ET

Also, this year, E3 is being held in a convention center, and there are booths, which have things in them, and sometimes people.

Here is a picture of the 9 people attending E3.

Join us next year for another gripping commentary including sneak peeks at .. that one game that I thought looked pretty as I looked for a hot dog and the bathrooms.

s callahan   July 16th, 2008 3:42 pm ET

lol How 'bout little info on the recent dig for the phionex mars lander?

Daniel Roberts   July 17th, 2008 3:50 am ET

At first, I was upset over this report when I realized the guy who wrote it isn't a reporter, but a Senior Producer. I can understand this to a degree.

I've been gaming on computers since I got a brand new Tandy 1000EX and played Bard's Tale with two 5.25 inch floppy disks. I love to write about this stuff myself. If you would have sent me, I would have written a 'minimum' of 10K words, including quotes from most of the booth represenatives along with my take on their best stuff. I would have been writing on the laptop during lunch even, while chewing down some num nums at the same time. The article would have been done by the time the E3 day would have concluded and I would have transmitted for publication before leaving the building.

Dan Wright, I'm an advid gamer across many platforms clean to the PC and I can write articles that sparkle. You got my email here, it's required to post. Send me to do things like this, I need a good job and I love writing as much as I love gaming. Come on, guy, why not? Your readers would really appreciate it down the road, I'm sure!

Be the first to Hire off the comment board and make history! Win – win situation. From one Dan to the another, I promise you won't regret it.

Larian LeQuella   July 17th, 2008 10:51 am ET

I'm with you Mr Roberts. I too have been gaming for years, written a few Prima Guides even, and am about to retire from the military. With the job market like it is, I could use a good job too!

Amanda Morgan   July 17th, 2008 1:30 pm ET

A little bit of more in depth coverage would be a wonderful thing. A small article clip isn't what I was expecting. E3 is, or was, the biggest show for gaming this side of the planet, it's an industry that rivals profits of the movie industry. Give it a little more attention.

Jeff   July 18th, 2008 3:02 pm ET

I'm happy they scaled down E3, these companies would put more resources in preparing their E3 booths instead of developing a good quality game. I'm quite sure by doing that our games were rushed out to meet a deadline. Its just as informative now and a lot more efficient.

Haizea   April 4th, 2013 2:03 am ET

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website? Haizea http://www.zavtra.com.ua/news/health/270429/

Leave Your Comment