SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
August 8, 2008

'Soul-wrenching weeks' about to end

Posted: 01:51 PM ET

After two long, soul-wrenching weeks we're finally about to head home. This trip has been amazing.

scout.oxford

Our Scout sits Friday in front of The Lyceum at Ole Miss in Oxford, Mississippi.

I've met people I hope to become long-term friends with. I also reconnected with some old friends, including Jenna from the National Biodiesel Board, who used to be my producer back in my KOMU-TV days at the University of Missouri.

All in all I would mark the trip a success. What do you think?

Now we're arranging to get five gallons of bio before making the trip back to Atlanta. There, I plan to take a two-day nap after we wrap it all up during a CNN.com Live broadcast on Monday. We'll take a look at what lessons we learned from our trip and some of the lighthearted moments.
– Cody

Posted by:
Filed under: environment • Road trip

Nic "Scoutman" Hawker   August 8th, 2008 2:50 pm ET

I learned that we are still quite-a-ways from getting high concentrations of bio-fuel at every station in the U.S., but we are off to a good start.
It was also good to know that there are still a few reporters and producers out there that are not scared to break away from the norm every once in a while and do a story differently than every one else.
Thanks for doing the trip, Cody and Brian, it was enlightening.

S Callahan   August 8th, 2008 4:05 pm ET

I think Nic said it for all of us. Thanks.

HAM   August 8th, 2008 4:14 pm ET

What are you going to do with the truck?

Franko   August 9th, 2008 12:38 am ET

Nothing like Scouting it out. Others will not ride into bio-fuel Hell.
But will miss the thrill of actually being stranded in unexpected places.

Someone make a computer bio-fuel game ? Logistics and cost efficiencies.
Interesting themes, to further social development, and conversation skills.

Do a series of internet interviews with experts and experimenters of each option.
Catching my interest scientifically, and financially.

col reb   August 9th, 2008 7:37 am ET

Nice shot of the Lyceum...I hope you made it to Taylor Grocery and tried the Catfish.

Franko   August 10th, 2008 1:39 am ET

How Fuel-Fooled are US ?
The answer, and your dollars, are blowing out the tailpipe.

Now that Cody and Brian have on the field experience,
Another power for comparison. Set up a CNN poll, what power to try next ?

Local businesses, on route, could be highlighted.
Chambers of Commerce might even pay for an occasional meal ?

Jim   August 11th, 2008 8:04 am ET

Ok you got 23 mpg but at what speed were you trying to do?? 55? 65?
I guess the world may never know>

S Callahan   August 11th, 2008 9:49 am ET

Good story out today , Monday, from Cody and Brian!
In addition, I really loved the pics particulary the sunset (notice the four crosses) :-) Also enjoyed the pics of the rainbow, the rock formation, and Hoover Dam. Stunning pics.

You guys did a great job! now "Take it Easy". :-)

txkboy   August 11th, 2008 10:17 am ET

About the article "Scientists unveil invisibility cloak", looks like all that hard work of the Philadelphia experiment has came full circle.

mark stevens   August 11th, 2008 12:37 pm ET

Good for you guys!!! Very very interesting piece of journalism – I would have followed you from the start had I known about your project.... I believe the lessons learned to be very valuable.

Knowing what you know now... do you believe bio-diesel to be a valid, sensible and cost effective alternative fuel? What vehicle do you wish you had used? What modifications do you wish you had made to the International? What Vehicles would you recommend using biofuels with?

Scott   August 13th, 2008 1:56 am ET

Thanks for the laugh guys, LOL, are you for real ? You guys give biodiesel a BAD name, you make it seem like it's this big adventure like a Harrison Ford movie ...... ie... raiders of the lost ark... but then again maybe that's all you were interested in.... the entertainment value of it, rather than showing the viability of it huh?

Lots of people use it everyday without the "drama" frankly i prefer the more environmentally friendly option of my hydrogen powered 4×4 ford F250 turbo diesel truck that get's 30 miles to the gallon, but then where's the " fun" in that ..... just an environmentally friendly way of going green and saving a LOT of $$$$ on gas ;)

my toy   August 14th, 2008 10:00 pm ET

Hey Cody, Well, seems your trip using biodiesel was a success. Congradulations. However, I can't believe that while you were in New Orleans, on your way to Oxford, MS you past one of the largest biodiesel plants in the nation. This plant exist in Natchez, MS. They have been in operation for approximately 1 1/2 yrs. and supply much of the biodiesel in Europe. If you decide to further your knowledge of biofuels, maybe you will visit some of the refineries, just to see how biofuels are produced. I am certain you will find this very interesting. Again, congrads on a sucessful trip.

Ravza   April 4th, 2013 2:12 am ET

It is tremendous blog, I need to be like you Ravza http://www.infoshos.ru/ru/?idn=8432

Leave Your Comment