SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
August 11, 2008

All over but the napping

Posted: 12:55 PM ET

Well... here we are. We made it back to Atlanta in (mostly) one piece after a two-week journey I'll never forget. This morning my colleague Brian Hardy and I did a little recap video interview with CNN.com Live which you can see here.  We also have an iPhone review (it never left my side) that we'll put up a little later.

cody.atlanta

I have a lot of cables to untangle.

Four-thousand miles later - and many gallons of bio and regular diesel - I  would call this road trip a success.  It wasn't perfect - but we talked to a lot of people, saw a lot of things and learned a good deal about biodiesel fuel and long-distance travel.

Now I have about two tons of gear to sort through and put back in its rightful place (versus the various bags, bins and cubbies I stuffed it into).

Oh yeah - and the sleeping - there will be lots of sleeping.

Thanks for followin' us...

– Cody McCloy, signing off

Posted by:
Filed under: environment • Road trip

Franko   August 11th, 2008 1:03 pm ET

You two made a lot of US feel very smart.
But we did not have the deadlines, and other alligators. distracting.

iphonevortex   August 11th, 2008 3:12 pm ET

I followed the whole thing. Take some rest. Sadly to say I know just of one station to serve Bio Diesel in the Vancouver Area. Anyway, good to see you guys made it.

iPhones at http://www.iphonevortex.com

leezechka   August 11th, 2008 7:53 pm ET

welcome home cody!

TroyMcClure   August 11th, 2008 10:36 pm ET

I would like to see Anderson Cooper try to biodiesel across the country. CNN should give you a show for this! For your first show you could tape your misadventures on a long float trip with nothing but lots of beer a half a dozen Muellers and some Rice. Go Mizzou !!!!!!

Franko   August 12th, 2008 2:09 am ET

Jump up from a bio-fuel hunger driven nightmare.
Nowhere to obtain ? Have a tool for the job, a garlic juice press.
Not enough garlic, pick out the grape seeds, squeeze the avocadoes
Oil, oil everywhere, just need mass production expertise.

Obvious case of on the job mental stress, causing sleepwalking to the refrigerator.
CNN Boss can deprogram you two in Hawaii, squeezing Macademia nuts ?

Jason Burroughs   August 12th, 2008 11:30 am ET

great job, but one thing that is very important you stated incorrectly: the use of greater than 5% biodiesel does NOT void any warranty.

The type of fuel is only a RECOMMENDATION from the manufacturer, and is not warranted in any way in any case. Warranties only cover material and workmanship, not fuel.

Please seehttp://www.nwbiofuels.org/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=22764

Matthew Seckora   August 12th, 2008 11:52 am ET

I traveled from Oregon to Wisconsin July 3-5th and it was hard to find bio diesel for my truck and if i found bio diesel it was the same cost as normal diesel.

What should one do to get it less then the current diesel price (yesterday 4.24 per gallon) in Bloomer, WI.

Chet   August 12th, 2008 2:00 pm ET

I have had 2 VW trucks and a rabbit plus a VW Quantium all diesel, all super great GERMAN made cars. The trouble is NO US car company makes them for the US market, you can get the in Europe and South America, it seems either the OIL companies don't want HIGH milage cars or the Dopes in Ford, GM, and Chrysler are to to dumb to make and sell in the US, or could it be the corrupt government stooges in congress. I have an idea for getting biofuel but cant get it off the ground because of stonewalling government officials.

Ray   August 13th, 2008 9:48 am ET

Hey when will you do your next one?

I noticed that you liked those Scamp trailers that you passed on the road. Why don't you get with the company and get a demo loaner and try a trip with one?

Franko   August 13th, 2008 10:40 am ET

No way Chet will succeed, untill he becomes one with the Force.
Cloaked behind Laws of the Land, standards, regulations, ATF, NSA, IRS
Not just simple large scale Organized Crime. Google; Catherine Austin Fitts
You have to make the right friends, to guard your back, or Willie Nelson are you.

Omniscienty, all powerful parasite, starves the world, through inefficiency.

dieselscout   August 13th, 2008 10:58 am ET

Glad to see you made it to Georgia (the peaceful one) safely.

Take Care.

Mike

Realist   August 13th, 2008 6:28 pm ET

Every form of biofuel currently being used can not "scale up" enough to power more than about 10% of our current fuel needs. The only promising exception is from green algae (pond scum) that is projected to produce about 10,000 times more biofuel per acre of land.

The whole "we must do everything" approach to the energy crisis is one of the main problems. By "doing everything" we effectively eliminate the possibilitiy of "doing the right things". Those "right things" are very well known, but resisted because it will make consumers independent of large corporations.

I drive an electric vehicle, and charge it using solar electricity. It is economical, environmental, and allows me to be independent of the oil industry disaster (until recently when our oil addiction has started actually crushing our economy, so prices are affected, and jobs, and loans, and...).

Modern Lithium batteries are completely 100% safe (can't catch on fire no matter what), have amazing charge performance (can be charged in ~5 minutes) as well as energy density.

The solution to our problems are simple:
1. Solar on every building. Notice when people criticize solar they bring up land use issues, but it can be placed on current buildings, unlike biofuel farms. It would cost us about $2.5 Trillion to cover all the houses with enough solar panels to power our electricity needs. I calculated this value long before Gore came out with his $3 Trillion estimate. Our national debt has grown by about $5 trillion under the current administration, so it CAN be done, despite the claims of "it's impossible". Had we done this, our energy prices would be fixed, stabilized, and overall much lower than they are now.

2. Wind everywhere it is economical (many states) and at least in the "wind corridor". It has been shown that only the farm/ranch lands in 3 states can provide all the electricity we currently use.

3. Ocean swell (NOT wave, swell). The ocean off california itself has more than enough energy to power the US.

4. Electric vehicles. Initially it will need to be plug-in hybrids that get at least 40 miles on electricity only, and hybridized preferably with natural gas and/or propane. (I plan to hybridize my EV to run off Natural Gas, Propane, OR gasoline). Later, we can install "class 3" chargers and eliminate the need for the fossil fuel "range extenders".

The problem is that our government will never support any technology that does not preserve the "cherished dependent consumer" model. There must be a company with a facility that everyone depends on and pumps money into.

If you look at it from a security point of view, distributed power is infinitely more safe than centralized models.

Franko   August 16th, 2008 12:31 pm ET

Brian and Cody, just take a step back, to see the Grand Prerspective.
In Pre-Bible days, what was the Bio-Power, the Bio-Fuel ?

The answer is blowing in the SasQuatch smell. So elusive but highly effective.
CNN to deploy Brian and Cody, experienced conniseurs, in smell tracking.

michael bender   August 19th, 2008 1:33 am ET

I am glad you decided to make this trip to raise at least SOME awareness to alternate fuels. Please take note of one other commenter suggestion to use alga as biofuel.

Valcent industries and MIT have built hanging garden-like systems that grow alga in clear plastic "curtains". These curtains hang inside a greenhouse building. I see numerous references to jatropha, palm oil, soybean oil, etc. on the net but almost nowhere do I see anyone praising the one thing that can really produce a large amount of fuel on a small segment of land. According to Glenn Kertz, CEO of Valcent, just 10% of the non arable land in New Mexico would be enough for their system to produce ALL of the liquid fuels this country needs. WHY IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT EVERYTHING BUT THIS ALGA SYSTEM? FLAGRANT DISREGARD? SHORT-SIGHTED? CONSPIRACY TO KEEP US SLAVES TO FOREIGN OIL?
I cannot believe people are ignoring this at a time when our economy is bleeding. Makes me wonder if certain unseen people are exerting undue influence on our elected representatives.

This stuff can be produced on land not suitable for growing food so it won't conflict with the growing of food.
It doesn't use any food stocks so it won't contribute to the higher price of food.
It burns cleaner than any fossil fuel and doesn't release "new" CO2 into the atmosphere.
The CO2 released came from the atmosphere not from under the ground.
If 10% of New Mexico could fulfill all the needs of the USA, setting up this system on more than that amount of land would mean the company could begin exporting fuel to other countries.
Wouldn't that be a change??

You can find videos at Youtube that show the whole setup and hear the VEO explain why it works better than anything else presently available.

michael bender   August 19th, 2008 1:42 am ET

P.S. If you should decide to try a trip like this again, look for an older Mercedes or a Peugeot with diesel. They can be found with air conditioning and you wouldn't have to bake on the way to wherever you are going.

What the heck, rent a new Mercedes diesel and ride in comfort.

Rent couldn't cost much more than buying and repairing an older vehicle.

Franko   August 19th, 2008 8:30 pm ET

michael bender has a good suggestion. Not just a bow, Please do an Encore.
Travelling BioCarnival. Cody and Brian, front of the parade.
EcoRafters, Mermaids, SassyChikkies. Gaia fortune telling.

Rob S.   August 21st, 2008 10:16 pm ET

Great .. glad you had fun .. what was the point.

I could not see that you proved anything. Get me a sponsor and I'll paste their adds on a vehicle and do it too. Blog all the way .. I'll even use an electric car. Take the wife and our dog. How about it, San Antonio to San Francisco to Denver to St Louis to Chicago to Wash DC and even end in Atlanta at CNN.

Franko   August 23rd, 2008 11:49 pm ET

Either use gas or have trouble ? Secret Soudy agent sold problem Scout to CNN. Oil agents, more slippery than terrorists, unnoticed, everywhere.

Could have been worse, but limping camel dealers, not yet licensed.

RS   August 30th, 2008 11:28 am ET

OK Cody .. it's over .. your 15 minutes of fame have ended .. time to remove this blog .. CNN has better things to do, well maybe not ..

RS   August 30th, 2008 11:29 am ET

Agfr   August 30th, 2008 6:50 pm ET

He had plenty of money. I just completed a little 4700 plus mile drive through about 15 states in my truck with $3.50 (and no credit cards) in my pocket. And that's what I returned with......$3.50. For fuel I just stopped at oil wells. As I say "Real diesels go straight to the well. Only pussies pull up to the pump."

For a look at the truck kindly visit:

I'm off again to the Permian Basin in about three weeks. Anybody want to tag along?

HW

Guy Mason   October 10th, 2008 5:03 pm ET

Hi Cody,

Looks like you had a great trip. I just came across this today while surfing around CNN, and I'm like, I know that guy. Interesting take on the biofuel trip. I converted my car to ethanol personally. It would be interesting to see you guys do it with a vegetable oil vehicle, for which I believe there is a race coming up.

Have fun!