SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
December 4, 2008

YouTube symphony orchestra: A chance at Carnegie Hall

Posted: 07:04 PM ET

There's amateurs who post videos of their cats playing piano on YouTube, and then there's the London Symphony Orchestra. At first glance, the two have nothing in common.

Do you have what it takes to play in a real orchestra? Photo: Sydney Symphony Orchestra.

But now, the popular video site and the renowned orchestra are teaming up to search for musical talent through the YouTube Symphony Orchestra. The grand prize: performing in a live orchestra concert at Carnegie Hall in April 2009.

YouTube says anyone can audition for the project, which the site touts as the "first-ever collaborative online orchestra." In fact, Academy Award-winning composer Tan Dun, who wrote music for the film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," has written a new piece specifically for you to play. Just submit a video of yourself playing his new song, and another video of yourself performing one of several public domain pieces that the site suggests.

The site will even help you learn the music. Simply select your instrument from a drop-down menu - violin, marimba, and vibraphone are among the many options - and play the sheet music provided while watching a video of a conductor.

YouTube says it's partnering with orchestras, music schools and organizations around the world for the initiative. Partners will do demonstrations and given classes, as well as provide recording spaces for the videos.

The chosen musicians will be determined by a combination of professionals and public voting. A judging panel will look for "interpretation of the music, musicianship, vitality of
performance, originality of performance and evaluation of the performance as
a whole," according to the official rules. The panel will choose the finalists by February 14, and then YouTube users can vote for the ones they like best. If you're a lucky winner, you will get a message through your YouTube account by February 24.

So, dust off that violin bow and set yourself up on youtube.com/symphony. Deadline for video submissions is January 28.

–Elizabeth Landau, Writer/Producer, CNN.com Health

Posted by:
Filed under: Internet

Franko   December 5th, 2008 3:58 am ET

Fascinating idea, but the YouTube video violins pain my ears
Perhaps, do a more pleasant combination of instruments version
Alpenhorn, Gong, Train Whiltle, Foghorn, Harp, Bongo Drums
But no telephone ringers or police sirens

bassoonista   December 5th, 2008 10:30 am ET

Thank you for posting this, what a fascinating opportunity!

S Callahan   December 5th, 2008 5:44 pm ET

Come on you guys..dust off the old musical instruments and get in on it...this was done before and it was beautiful! This is awesome!

What instrument do you play Franko?

Turtleum   December 5th, 2008 7:51 pm ET

I think this is great. I think I'll do it although I know I'm not the best out there. -tuba

April Rain Thompson   December 6th, 2008 11:55 am ET

We're borrowing from China for war & will either have to borrow a lot more for bailouts or get the printers working triple time, resulting in double digit inflation. I don't see how this will get us well. What would help us get well would be to scrap the space program & turn NASA into a solar or wind energy plant. How many people could be kept warm, not to mention fed, clothed & kept well w/all those millions being wasted in futile space exploration. I guarantee that ANYONE out there is far, far superior to us. I can hear them saying, "Don't call us; we'll call you."

Franko   December 6th, 2008 10:32 pm ET

Franko did take peano lessons, practiced too hard, amazing lack of coordination between the cords, foot pedals, and the sheet music.

In the science theme of this worldwide cyber orchestra
Do real science experiments
Newer before heard voices, and instruments

Two extremes
Room filled with Helium – Oxygen, skin diver mixture
And a room filled with Sulfur Hexafluoride – Oxygen

Different singers ? Opera, Brittney, Country, Beyonce ?
Canary, but can a hummingbird fly in a skin diver Heliun mixcture
Extremes, Exploring where no orchestra has gone before

Franko   December 6th, 2008 10:37 pm ET

In the science theme of this worldwide cyber orchestra
Do real science experiments
Newer before heard voices, and instruments

Two extremes
Room filled with Helium – Oxygen, skin diver mixture
And a room filled with Sulfur Hexafluoride – Oxygen

Different singers ? Opera, Brittney, Country, Beyonce ?
Canary, but can a hummingbird fly in a skin diver Heliun mixcture
Extremes, Exploring where no orchestra has gone before

S Callahan   December 7th, 2008 4:02 pm ET

Awww piano..I play too..and clarinet (A and B)...
that would be interesting to use nature for sounds of music..I like that idea though I"d use Enya...:-)
in the meantime..thought you'd appreciate this: check it out
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM&w=640&h=390]

jayh   December 8th, 2008 3:47 pm ET

I'm totally going to do this – I play the bass trombone, and used to play professionally...

Franko   December 10th, 2008 8:23 am ET

S Callahan
Song Around the World "Stand By Me" - is thematic
Interrelated, interdependent, fighting for life and individuality are we

john l brown   December 11th, 2008 6:58 pm ET

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdti-qpCFrs&w=640&h=390]

woman escort   August 31st, 2010 7:55 pm ET

Pretty nice blog you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Bella Smith

Food Scales    October 14th, 2010 5:19 am ET

youtube is very addicting, i spend 5 hours a day just watching videos on youtube""`

Beverage Dispenser    October 21st, 2010 12:41 am ET

everyone is addicted to youtube, and everyonle like to upload videos on youtube:-,

Joan Kuree   December 2nd, 2010 6:46 pm ET

Nice page. When will I get the rest information?

Joan Kuree
escort warsaw

http://howtolosefatandburnfat.com   September 20th, 2011 11:52 am ET

Awesome blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Thank you

Leinenstoffe   October 6th, 2011 2:39 am ET

Gardinen online shop !!!

Used auto dealership   January 13th, 2012 2:08 pm ET

I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the excellent works guys I've incorporated you guys to our blogroll.used auto dealership

Tequila Barrer   June 23rd, 2012 6:37 am ET

I want to show my appreciation for your kind-heartedness giving support to men who require assistance with your area of interest. Your real commitment to passing the message throughout has been particularly useful and have frequently made associates like me to get to their aims. This useful facts implies a great deal to me and especially to my fellow workers. Warm regards; from each one of us.

Rose Cornett   April 21st, 2013 1:02 pm ET

The term "soft drink" specifies the absence of alcohol in contrast to "hard drink" and "drink". The term "drink" is neutral but often denotes alcoholic content. Beverages such as soda pop, sparkling water, iced tea, lemonade, root beer, and fruit punch are the most common soft drinks. Milk, hot chocolate, tea, coffee, milkshakes, and tap water are not considered to be soft drinks.*

Newly released write-up from our own internet site

Leave Your Comment