SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
December 11, 2008

Videogame wrestling is back!

Posted: 06:30 PM ET

You've trained hard for years. Many champions have fallen from your devastating finisher. Now new challengers and obstacles stand in your way.

Kofi Kingston talked to CNN about his role in the new video game, "WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009."

Welcome to "WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009," the newest installment in the pro-wrestling video game series. Released last month, the popular game features more than 60 playable superstars and many new features that have never been offered in a WWE video game.

Players can select between such wrestlers as John Cena, HHH, Chris Jericho, CM Punk and the Undertaker and follow them on a story-driven path to the final showdown at WrestleMania 24. If the roster of 60-plus superstars doesn't satisfy your needs, game developer THQ will make new wrestlers available via download by January 31.

THQ also put a heavy emphasis on tag-team wrestling for this edition of the game. Thanks to several new tag-team moves, you can now make a hot tag to your partner who will come in and clean house.

CNN spoke with wrestler Kofi Kingston, one half of the World Tag Team Champions (with CM Punk), regarding his first-ever character in the game.

“It was one of my career goals to be in a video game,” said Kingston, who is pleased with the amount of detail shown to his character and his mannerisms. “I personally did not do my own motion capture of my moves, but they did do a body and facial scan."

Kingston has long been a fan of wrestling video games, and "WrestleMania 2000" was his favorite. “I would use the Create-a-Wrestler feature to make myself, and fight through career mode with it," he said.

One of Kingston's favorite new modes is the Inferno Match, in which wrestlers can throw your opponent onto a fire. Don’t worry, though - they don’t burn for long. Crews come by with fire extinguishers.

"WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009" also boasts two new customization features. With Highlight Reel, a player can record a match, edit it and then share it online. With Create a Finisher, a player strings several animations and moves together to create the ultimate finisher.

Kingston does have one suggested addition for next year's game: The Championship Scramble match that occurred at this September's 'Unforgiven' pay-per-view event. The Scramble is a 20-minute match involving five superstars; whoever scores the last pinfall or submission at the end of the 20 minutes is the champion.

Kingston says he isn’t the only videogamer in the WWE. “There are a handful of us that are hardcore gamers. We used to bring an X-Box 360 on the road with us. The hotels wouldn’t have the proper connections so we would go and buy a small LCD TV to play on. We would be up playing video games instead of sleeping."

All that practice may come in handy for Kingston as he competes in THQ’s 7th Annual Smackdown vs. Raw WrestleMania Weekend tournament in March. Last year he took second place.

–Christopher Piatt, CNN

Filed under: Uncategorized • video games

Franko   December 11th, 2008 11:57 pm ET

Oldest of sports, don't need soccer ball, javelin, or running shoes
Take a fast computer to the match of your fantasy ?

"Create-a-Wrestler feature to make myself"
Wrestle the Greenspan of the economy ? - doing it in reality.
Avatar wrestle the girl of your dreams, the new Facebook feature ?

Interesting   December 12th, 2008 12:36 am ET

I'm looking forward to seeing some good matches on YouTube.

john betancourt   December 12th, 2008 10:37 am ET

well wrestling isnt my type of game so i think that all these games suck but that my opinion

seanb   December 12th, 2008 12:37 pm ET

Why is this on the Sci-Tech Blog?

AM   December 12th, 2008 12:48 pm ET

Uh-Oh! I see broken controllers in the future with this game. The computer player cheats SO bad that you get so mad, you may break your controller. I have seen this happen!

AcE   December 12th, 2008 1:19 pm ET

It's probably because Miles O'Brien, along with most of the SciTech staff, were FIRED FROM CNN! I couldn't believe it when I read that bit of news the other day. Why would they fire him? Too much money being spent on reporting non-fluff news?

A friend of mine reminded me of the week-long investigations into UFOs and other phenomena, supposedly headed by O'Brien. So, I ask, was his firing due to this?

Please ask more questions, people. I can't imagine a network like CNN telling its staff to "shaddup!"

John From New York   December 12th, 2008 3:45 pm ET

It must be good if it is featured on CNN.com. This isn't the first Smackdown Vs. Raw game, but I guess this one is really different from the other ones.

Andrew   December 12th, 2008 7:04 pm ET

Yes indeed, why is this posted in the Sci-Tech Blog? Yes, I suppose you can claim a technology bent but then any video game fits that.

Franko   December 12th, 2008 8:43 pm ET

seanb
"Why is this on the Sci-Tech Blog?"

Stargate, telepresence, virtual reality, StarTrek teleporter
Extend skills by extreme science reality training
Do not want to become a surgeon by TeleRobot ?
Then, Pile drive your opponent, without breaking his neck

Wade   December 12th, 2008 9:45 pm ET

They could make a afterlife wrestling game. Many stars are gone. You could have eddie guerrero,Owen Hart,Owen Hart and others

Tor   December 13th, 2008 12:56 am ET

This is just shameless advertising...

Dickie Hateface   December 13th, 2008 2:23 am ET

I'm a huge wrestling fan.

I'm a huge video game fan.

This is not news. This is at best a press release, and at worst an advertisement.

I expect more from you, CNN.

Jose   December 13th, 2008 12:26 pm ET

WWE games aren't as fun as the old Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy games for the Nintendo 64. Those had the simple but effective grapple system. However, the WWE games are addictive to anyone who has ever wanted to create a hero or villain.

confused   December 13th, 2008 3:28 pm ET

Indeed why *is* this on SciTechBlog? I browsed here from "Science." As far as I can tell from my relatively short (6 mon) experience with CNN, their science reporting is sparse and lowbrow. And as for their technology reporting? More of a rolling gadget and game marketing effort than a news service.

SamH   December 13th, 2008 6:53 pm ET

seanb
“Why is this on the Sci-Tech Blog?”

agreed. There are better games, better sports, and better sports games out there. I am confused as well.

and furthermore, this isn't really a sport. Wresting is a sport. Professional wrestling is more like bad theater.

Tony   December 14th, 2008 11:39 am ET

With the all advances in solar power, biotechnology and quantum computing it is nice to see CNN has the ability to sort through the most important news stories and find the most relevant scientific story to share with humanity

Doug   December 15th, 2008 4:46 am ET

TNA! TNA!...cross the line to better wrestling & video games

David   December 15th, 2008 10:22 am ET

So does CNN think this is science?

Sean   December 15th, 2008 10:56 am ET

Nothing beats Pro Wrestling on the original Nintendo.

Larian LeQuella   December 15th, 2008 3:06 pm ET

I see you guys are still listing Miles O'Brien as being part of your team? Considering the DISMAL turn you all have taken in regards to Science and Technology reporting, this sort of trash doesn't surprise me.

Wonder what poor Franko will do once this section is eliminated?

King Awesome   December 16th, 2008 8:51 am ET

Tecmo World Wrestling is the greatest wrestling game ever!!!

No one can beat El Tigre!

danny   December 19th, 2008 12:15 pm ET

i dont now about you guys but i have every wwe game ever made and i still think the newer ones are better because they have more features

SD   December 20th, 2008 12:34 am ET

I always thought Fire Pro Wrestling Returns was a great wrestling game, myself!

Mark   December 20th, 2008 6:17 am ET

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009″ also boasts two new customization features. With Highlight Reel, a player can record a match, edit it and then share it online. With Create a Finisher, a player strings several animations and moves together to create the ultimate finisher.

Katelyn Henderson   August 3rd, 2010 12:28 pm ET

i like to watch wrestling on TV and i have always been a fan of WWE,"-

Ben Griffiths   September 30th, 2010 4:10 am ET

real wrestling only exists on the olympics, the wrestling on WWE is quite scripted,,"

Chair Pads    October 14th, 2010 9:09 am ET

wrestling is the best sport on earth. i love also UFC~""

physics experiments   April 9th, 2012 12:09 pm ET

Thank you, I have just been looking for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the supply?|What i don't realize is in fact how you are not actually much more neatly-preferred than you might be right now. You are very intelligent.

Carl Exum   April 16th, 2013 10:32 pm ET

There are several ways that wrestling fans can gain access to all the information they need about World Wrestling Entertainment action. So many avenues of entertainment are offered because the WWE is one of the largest wrestling organizations in the world. The wrestling action that fans are privy to is top notch and guaranteed to bring them hours of thrilling entertainment throughout the week.*

My web portal