SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
January 5, 2009

A letter from Steve Jobs

Posted: 09:57 AM ET

Apple CEO Steve Jobs released this letter about his weight loss to the "Apple Community" as the Macworld conference for Apple developers was getting underway in San Francisco, California:

Steve Jobs

"Dear Apple Community,

For the first time in a decade, I'm getting to spend the holiday season with my family, rather than intensely preparing for a Macworld keynote. Unfortunately, my decision to have Phil deliver the Macworld keynote set off another flurry of rumors about my health, with some even publishing stories of me on my deathbed.

I've decided to share something very personal with the Apple community so that we can all relax and enjoy the show tomorrow. As many of you know, I have been losing weight throughout 2008. The reason has been a mystery to me and my doctors. A few weeks ago, I decided that getting to the root cause of this and reversing it needed to become my #1 priority.

Fortunately, after further testing, my doctors think they have found the cause - a hormone imbalance that has been "robbing" me of the proteins my body needs to be healthy. Sophisticated blood tests have confirmed this diagnosis.

The remedy for this nutritional problem is relatively simple and straightforward, and I've already begun treatment. But, just like I didn't lose this much weight and body mass in a week or a month, my doctors expect it will take me until late this Spring to regain it. I will continue as Apple's CEO during my recovery.

I have given more than my all to Apple for the past 11 years now. I will be the first one to step up and tell our Board of Directors if I can no longer continue to fulfill my duties as Apple's CEO. I hope the Apple community will support me in my recovery and know that I will always put what is best for Apple first.

So now I've said more than I wanted to say, and all that I am going to say, about this.

Steve"

Read CNNMoney's story on Jobs' letter here.

Filed under: Apple • computers

S Callahan   January 5th, 2009 11:45 am ET

Steve, I am happy for you that a diagnosis was made and will pray for your renewal in health. Frankly, it's really nobody's buisness, but God's and your family, what is going on in your personal life but it's appreciated that you shared this to shut the naysayers up.
God's speed to you.

Rafael Quinones   January 5th, 2009 2:01 pm ET

...wheeewwww!!! I was a bit worried for a little while.

allen j zigman   January 5th, 2009 2:06 pm ET

eat fish-lots of it!!-good news!!

joe delrosario   January 5th, 2009 2:54 pm ET

For several decades you has been the technology revolution CEO
You are the inspiration to many millions, like me, in our planet

Christopher Pollock   January 5th, 2009 3:23 pm ET

Steve, you are God. Your life story has been one of my greatest inspirations. On top of the fact that you have persevered through the greatest of hardships, you managed to rise up and create one of the greatest companies of our time. Be well and live long.

Captain Obvious   January 5th, 2009 5:36 pm ET

I agree – non of our biz. But, since you brought it up, I ask: What is causing this hormonal imbalanc?. Could this be a symptom of a more serious malady? I hope not.

gianni   January 5th, 2009 6:04 pm ET

I LOVE YOU

E.Winters   January 5th, 2009 6:13 pm ET

Best of luck and all good wishes for a healthy and speedy recovery!

Bruno Beaupre   January 5th, 2009 8:05 pm ET

Dear M. Job,

I'm glad that your doctor finally found what was wrong with your health, I wish you all the best and a prompt recovery.

Thank you for all you have done for the Mac community, but as you said, now is your time.

Take care of yourself, we only have one life!

Cheers.

Mike Polcho   January 6th, 2009 12:09 am ET

Steve I pray God gives you health , and wisdom I was also sick and God
gave me a new perspective of life and of my dear Savior . Get Well Steve.!

Vladimir Repin   January 6th, 2009 3:16 am ET

Dear Steve,
I've been Mac user for last 12 years. Started from Newton 2000 :)
The most impressive in Apple products – they are "from the future".
I'm afraid a lot that as soon as you leave Apple's CEO this "from the future" thing will disappear and Apple's products became same as others. Hope not.

Steve, I wish you soonest recovery. Let the God give you health and strength.
Sincerely,
VR

Tim   January 6th, 2009 7:57 am ET

Best of luck to you Steve, and get well soon. You're an icon to a generation, and we look forward to more surprises from you in the future.

John Woodall   January 6th, 2009 9:40 am ET

Steve, I have been using Apple Computers and Apple products since 1982. No Apple product has ever let me down. It is not possible to imagine Apple without Jobs at the helm. I am sure you will recover and be in charge for another 20 years!!!! Best wishes!!!!!

norman   January 6th, 2009 11:15 am ET

Weight loss is caused by global warming. In fact, all illness is caused by global warming. Its not just about polar bears anymore.

Bob Ledsome   January 6th, 2009 11:24 am ET

Steve,I believe I have something that will help you and correct the problems you are experiencing.I have developed a total nutrient drink that will provide every nutrient your body needs.If you don't have the correct nutrients your body can not produce the emzynes,that produce the hormones you need.Bob

Tell   January 6th, 2009 2:37 pm ET

It's nice to hear that you are taking rest Steve which you needed. We can see the amount of effort you have put in to give us the best. God bless and have a speedy recovery. We always knew an Apple a day keeps the doctor away ;)

Carol Furnee   January 6th, 2009 2:44 pm ET

Such "imbalances" frequently are the result of eliminating animal protein from the diet, ie: going vegetarian. It is difficult to impossible for humans to get the required essential amino acids from a vegetarian-only diet.
Recovery, for those who lose too much weight and develop such imbalances, includes the resumption of including animal proteins in the diet.

stacy   January 6th, 2009 2:59 pm ET

Mr. Jobs, I must admit it wasnt until recently when I experienced issues with my ipod and I wrote to you that I knew who you were. Your influence was pivotal in getting my ipod replaced at now expense to me and I walked away thinking what a great company and even greater management for caring about the little person. That care breeds reciprocity I wish I had the influence to affect medical change to replace whats broken the same way you replaced my defective ipod but I can and do wish you a healthy recovery so you will have many more years at the helm of Apple.

Franko   January 6th, 2009 3:06 pm ET

You have to attribute the sickness to his name "Jobs"
If one job can make you one sick - plural is sickness.

“hormone imbalance … nutritional problem“
Doing the worrying for the shareholders
Improper diet, and no exercise ?

Cure is in the manly things
Eat raw meat, nor sugar laced Christmass cakes
Build a log cabin, live undeveloped country style
Take up TaiChi in the park

But most important; Eat only Apples with live worms
To prove lack of pesticides

seobro   January 6th, 2009 3:58 pm ET

I tried a vegetarian diet {bean & rice} for a few months and lost a lot of weight down to 135 from 165 (normal). Not only that felt tired and cold all the time. I added fish back to my diet and quickly climbed back to 150. Feel a lot better now!

David   January 6th, 2009 6:09 pm ET

Best of luck Steve- Get well !

Joshua   January 6th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

Get well soon Steve! You are the BEST!!

Ray, Miami, Florida   January 7th, 2009 6:06 pm ET

What the country needs is you to take over the top spots at Ford, GM or Chrysler or all three at the same time. With your perchant for vision, you could save the US auto industry.

Get well. America needs you!!!

Franko   January 7th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Share the secret of loosing weight
Eating the worm, not the Apple offered by Eve ?

Steve J   January 7th, 2009 11:32 pm ET

Cripes! Can't some of you just wish the guy well without acting like a self-righteous expert who knows exactly what he needs or turning your response into a pathetic opportunity to try selling something?

Best to you, (fellow) Steve, and hope all the rumormongers will lose their ability to type (for a little while)!

Franko   January 8th, 2009 4:09 pm ET

Secret Diet of Green Apples; Makes a monotimic cookbook ?
Intellectual property heavily guarded ?
Lost weight, hopefully, not ate the Worm of Humour

Suzie B   January 12th, 2009 4:53 pm ET

Thanks for sharing your personal story, but I felt it was not needed; just take care of yourself and return to the company that you love so much. We will wait for you to get better and so happy that your doctors found the problem and now they can hep you improve to getting better. You are such an icon in this business and we need for you to only think of getter well and your health.

Again thanks for sharing your personal story and know that we love you.

Franko   January 12th, 2009 11:41 pm ET

I got it figured - not only once in a Blue Moon - but reliably;
The Apple Blue logo is the key to weight loss

This needs to be a top BioTeck research goal of Emperor ObeWan
An Apple, that glows blue, in the dark of power outages

Jason   January 29th, 2009 6:09 am ET

I have no idea who steve jobs is but apple sucks

Franko   January 29th, 2009 11:50 pm ET

"Jobs Kept Mum About Non-Traditional Cancer Treatment"
"Doctors fear return of Steve Jobs's pancreatic cancer"
"Stevegate?: SEC Examining Apple on Steve Jobs' Health Disclosures"

Before he dies, the SEC wants to make an example ?

Sherell Wilbanks   July 8th, 2013 11:25 pm ET

A vegetarian diet focuses on plants for food. These include fruits, vegetables, dried beans and peas, grains, seeds and nuts. There is no single type of vegetarian diet. `,:'

Most up-to-date post provided by our blog <http://www.picturesofherpes.co

Leave Your Comment