SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 14, 2009

Tuesday in Technology

Posted: 12:04 PM ET

Here are some tech stories CNN.com is watching today:

1. Twitter has been in the news mostly because of its breakneck growth and celebrity groupies, but the storyline of the micro-blogging site took an interesting turn today as USC researchers said Twitter may be too fast for the brain. A constant stream of facts won't let the brain's "moral compass" evaluate situations, leading some to worry about the development of the Twitter generation.

2. Also in the Twitter news thread, a flap between gay and lesbian writers and Amazon.com has some resolution, although it's still getting buzz today online. As CNN reports, several prominent authors complained their gay-themed works were dropped from Amazon's online search because they were unfairly labeled as "adult" content. Amazon told the New York Times the search problem was the result of “an embarrassing and ham-fisted cataloging error.”

3. Ars Technica, a technology news site, reports a conflict is developing as states try to take health records out of manila file folders and store them electronically. Some worry privacy - which is strictly regulated - could be compromised.

4. I thought some of you might have fun with 12seconds, a site where users post video clips that must be shorter than - you guessed it - 12 seconds. It's kind of like Twitter for video, but the site has a much more zen feel, at least so far. I'm glad my morning drive didn't look like this.

5. Speaking of work, watch out to make sure your boss isn't wearing a necktie with a built-in video camera. According to Engadget, Thanko has created a necktie with a camera that can record 4 hours of low-resolution video and has an on-off remote.

6. Lastly, Google continues its expansion of Google Earth mapping with a new feature that allows users to swim down into the Great Lakes, TechCrunch reports. For those who don't want to swim alone (and - safety first! - that should be all of you), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration teamed up with Google to create a guided tour of the lakes, which, for point of trivia, hold about 20 percent of the world's freshwater.

Check back tomorrow for more on the latest tech buzz.

Posted by:
Filed under: technology • Twitter

Ben   April 14th, 2009 1:35 pm ET

I would just like to point out that there is no "twitter generation". Unlike Facebook and MySpace, twitter was never extremely popular with teenagers and most of twitter's traffic doesn't come from them.

Freddy   April 14th, 2009 3:36 pm ET

Is there anything more useless than Twitter? Aside from Liberals, that is.

william fitzwater   April 14th, 2009 8:36 pm ET

I sure could have used the neck tie in my last employment. I often had to do adult day care and as a flunky who had to do jobs it would often be grin & bear it experence . While a few people give me a hard time . So all I would need to have is a shirt that is written says on it "Please note this workman uses electronic survelience because you refuse to treat him as a human being ; please keep any teasing to a minium as your actions are being taped". In some ways this is a joke but it is a sad commentary on the ways things are today.
I felt like that in my last employment until I couldn't take it any longer and told one of them off and got the sack.

Thea   April 15th, 2009 1:04 am ET

As fr as Twitter being bad for our moral compass......

To do a responsible and thorough study it would take years. What kind of controls did they use? How old were the subjects? What were their psychological states when they did the "study" and after the "study"? What were their religious backgrounds? what are their social backgrounds? what are their economic backgrounds? How many people were used from each category of people? Do we see what's really needed to do a responsible study? All of us who do any thinking for ourselves realize this study is a joke.

Ben's Ignorant side   April 15th, 2009 11:42 am ET

Of course, i have no real clue about what evolution means. there's no way that twitter will grow to be more than it already is. it'll remain the same and no get popular.

uhhh... derrr...

Jessicadct   August 10th, 2011 7:54 am ET

Hello I'm Jess. I thought to start this thread here to introduce myself to everybody

I am a long time lurker of scitech.blogs.cnn.com and decided it was time to register and say hello! I look forward to becoming an active person on here!
~Bye Jessica