SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 29, 2009

Nielsen: "Twitter quitters" could block growth

Posted: 09:35 AM ET

Sorry for the swarm of Twitter news, but I thought even some of you Twitter haters out there (yeah, I see you in the comments ... ) might find a new report from Nielsen interesting.

The main finding: Only 40 percent of people who start using Twitter come back a month later. So while lots of people are trying the site, most of them aren't with the trend for very long.

That 40-percent rate is much lower than MySpace and Facebook, other social media sites, Nielsen says:

... even when Facebook and MySpace were emerging networks like Twitter is now, their retention rates were twice as high. When they went through their explosive growth phases, that retention only went up, and both sit at nearly 70 percent today.

Nielsen has more on what this could mean for Twitter's growth:

To be clear, a high retention rate doesn’t guarantee a massive audience, but it is a prerequisite. There simply aren’t enough new users to make up for defecting ones after a certain point.

On a brighter note, the ratings group also says Twitter's retention rate - those who come back to the site - has increased since Ashton Kutcher started the much-publicized Twitter race with CNN and Oprah jumped  on the micro-blogging bandwagon. And there are plenty of new-media observers who say Twitter is the next big thing for news and conversation online.

It's hard not to argue that the site is already changing the way people communicate.

And it's also hard to avoid being a little amazed at the sheer pace of Twitter's expansion: the site saw more than 1,300 percent growth in roughly the last year.

Posted by:
Filed under: social-networking sites • technology • Twitter

vivian   April 29th, 2009 10:34 am ET

i give Obama an a+ he has work very hard against the ods. there was noone else who wonted to clean up after bush that is why mccain ran because he knew that he was going to lose,

Vince   April 29th, 2009 2:21 pm ET

First of all, this is an article about twitter, not Obama. Second of all, you think he is doing such a great job wait till the debt that is being accumulated has to be paid back. There is no plan for that. Obama has thrown more money away then any other president in history, and guess what, we are only 100 days in. Wait the rest of the 4 years out and we will be so far in debt we will never get out of this. I will agree that he did have a lot to work against but he is only this popular due to race. Think about it. Howard Stern went out and asked people if they though Sarah Palin was going to make a good VP. They agreed. These people are morons for putting someone in to the oval office without knowing what he is about. Now we are just throwing money at everything like that is going to resolve anything. It will not. Please review your posts prior to blowing junk around the net.

justin   April 29th, 2009 5:15 pm ET

I registered with Twitter awhile back. Used it a day, than realized that site is loaded with narcissists. Who cares? You went shopping. Woo hoo.

Stupid Twitter.

aj   April 30th, 2009 1:45 am ET

we are already so far in debt it can never be paid back.

Jeff Cotter   April 30th, 2009 7:52 am ET

Why would you believe anything that the Nielsen company says about new media such as twitter. The company can't measure television and has fallen short of any type of measurement of digital media

Jon   April 30th, 2009 12:06 pm ET

how can you call injecting money into the economy throwing it away? you are probably one of those frugal people that holds onto their money as to "protect" yourself instead of thinking for the greater good. You live in a country where free trade is the fundamental building blocks of the it's own economy and you are exactly the reason why the stock market kept falling. Look at all those small businesses that went bankrupt because people do not spend money there anymore, don't you feel a little bad? So don't judge one president just because the selfish people are the cause of what the situation is today.

Jon   April 30th, 2009 12:14 pm ET

The government is not suppose to be profitable, it's suppose to be the backbone of everything this country stands for. By judging it on the amount of debt it has and appoint a president as the scapegoat, you think that's going to solve the problem? It's like a family, spending money on what it needs to survive, of course some things are going to cost more than others. if you really read Obama's budget plan, he has a reason for allocating money for everything. With the magnitude of the budget, it's a lot easier for you to point and scream what didn't work. So stop complaining and enjoy the freedom you have here and now.

Everyone’s a Twitter @ Marketing & AdBits Blog   April 30th, 2009 12:31 pm ET

[...] research firm Nielsen reported this week that approximately 60% of those who sign up for Twitter, stop using it after a month.  Of course Twitter is all the rage and everyone is signing up just to see what it is all about.  [...]

Nathan Moses   April 30th, 2009 11:44 pm ET

Twitter is a stupid concept. Get your news in essentially the form of headlines and tiny summations. Find out when someone needs to pee, or such stupid crap as people might be doing at any given moment. I've never actually been there. I went to the sign up page and when I saw I had to open yet another account just to see a stupid site full of inane banter I decided I could certainly do without it. Twitter will die.

Vulcan   May 3rd, 2009 11:07 am ET

Does CNN own Twitter? I mean seriously CNN and Time are trying to keep Twitter under spots.

Lance Webster, Los Angeles   May 3rd, 2009 1:50 pm ET

An intelligent friend, whose wisdom I respect and whose tongue can be quite acerbic, said this:

"Twitter is one more way to feed people's delusion that they have something to say. They don't and now they have another tool to prove it."

Francesca   May 3rd, 2009 2:34 pm ET

Twitter is the easiest and quickest way to viral information – most importantly, breaking news. While there are many who use it to update very personal, useless tidbits of information – it is a powerhouse when it comes to quick information exchange. Don't forget – most people's Facebook status updates are far more useless and narcissistic, not to mention, does not really lend itself for instant viral opportunities. If you don't see the potential of Twitter, then you clearly do not understand it.

Philip   June 26th, 2009 8:31 am ET

Seems like CNN would be able to give a much cleaner version of the news everyday if they were not so obsessed with Twitter. I must be an idiot because I registered at Twitter. With Facebook registering is the hard part and making old friends new again and networking come easy. With Twitter registering is the easy the part and the rest is WTF? I watch the news for the news. If I wanted to hear twitter twitter tweet tweet twitter twitter tweet tweet I'd get up at 5am and sit on my front porch.

chinese gender predictor   January 20th, 2011 8:06 pm ET

This makes me sad: Winsted Roofer Sentenced to 1 Year for Cash "Structuring"

Mohammed Greynolds   February 8th, 2011 2:44 pm ET

Do you people have a facebook fan page? I seemed for one on twitter but could not uncover one, I would love to develop into a fan!

best jogging stroller   July 11th, 2011 1:36 pm ET

I wished to thank you for this terrific read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

Valerija   April 1st, 2013 7:56 am ET

It's perfect time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may just I desire to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Valerija http://www.sodinkim.lt/2010/10/rudeninis-sodinimas-staigmena-pavasariui/

Burberry Saat Bu7600   July 7th, 2015 1:47 am ET

After never go to the store, and a good pit, over a period of time will start with the other colors! Last year, I bought at the counter of white, very much. I was ready to buy a double discount, then black, but the mall without my completely different. Although this year has made a similar, but the look is not pleasing to the eye.
Burberry Saat Bu7600 http://www.es.3japon.net/xmlrpc.asp?burberry/Burberry-Saat-Bu7600

Leave Your Comment