SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 2, 2009

Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2 : Part 2

Posted: 03:27 PM ET

Hey all,

The first 24 hours:

So far, so good. I have little to no problem doing everything I need to do online. I know I am lucky that the company uses Web-based Outlook, so this is all easer for me.

The biggest problem I have had is Twitter. It is all but useless to me with out a desktop app. I did not realize how much I relied on the features of the desktop Twitter clients I used. I follow about 400 people and have about 550 following me, so not a lot. Even with that amount, I am sure I am missing things that I would love to have seen as they pass in the timeline.

The next thing I have seen is that online storage can be expensive. For me, using DropBox’s free version is just great, but I do not put a lot of documents out there. If you are someone who uses video or audio and images, the speed and size of storing it all online is out of this world.

The biggest feedback I have gotten is about the angle of the videos. Well, I think we have that fixed in this one.

Thanks for reading, and keep up the feedback.

Other post in this series:

Welcome to Tech Torture with Topher
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2 : Part 2
Tech Torture with Topher: Why?
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 3
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 4
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 5

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

Mita Beach   June 2nd, 2009 3:59 pm ET

I think you do tend to Ramble but not bad.

I really like this experiment. But my question is do you consider finder utilities like spotlight, and dictionary as off limit desktop apps?

Kat   June 2nd, 2009 4:02 pm ET

For online storage you might try (I've never used but looks decent) : http://www.zshare.net/ or http://www.livedrive.com

tophercnn   June 2nd, 2009 4:07 pm ET

Mita: I do find things like Dictionary and Spotlight off limits for this test.

Rana Pankaj   June 2nd, 2009 4:18 pm ET

There is a new product called Engage coming from Glide OS in a couple of weeks that sounds like it will really improve on Twitter. Here is an article at InformationWeek about Engage.

Alex Davis   June 3rd, 2009 12:12 am ET

Liked your blog. Check you out on twitter if I can download DropBox. Looking good on the camera, wish I could look so good on mine.

Good Day, Luka, skywalker, Ha. Alexis.

Mark Williams   June 3rd, 2009 4:49 am ET

Just caught your experiment and it looks interesting. There is one cautionary note I would make to those considering this type of jump. Free services are great as long as you have no particular issues or problems. However speaking from experience if you lose access to say a free email account or use document storage that gets phased out, like Yahoo's Briefcase, it can be very difficult if not impossible to recover files or mail from these free systems. Customer service response can be very long or non-existant. So just like all things dealing with computers you may want to discuss what disaster recovery / fault tolerance services are available for people living in the cloud.

Pam O'Neal   June 3rd, 2009 10:11 am ET

Topher – Just put up a blog post about your project at http://www.breakingpointsystems.com/community/blog/test-the-cloud-before-you-live-in-it . Your cloud journey inspired me to think about they types of tech torture you might experience in the cloud. Would love to get your thoughts.

Pam O'Neal

Carla Shaw   June 3rd, 2009 10:51 am ET

Your experiment is interesting, and I'll be curious to see what kind of conclusions you draw from it.

For storage, you mentioned DropBox –there's a service called Box.net that might also be helpful.

Are you doing much Web conferencing? There's a Web conferening tool called Netspoke, based in Atlanta; of course Web-based, and could be helpful as another way to communicate, share documents, work, etc. http://www.premiereglobal.com/conferencing/web-conferencing/netspoke/how-it-works.asp. We could set you up with a free version.

Leave Your Comment