SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 2, 2009

Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2

Posted: 11:56 AM ET

Hello all,

Thanks for all the great comments on the blog so far. Please keep them coming. I believe the best way to make this a great week is with all of the good feedback I am getting (and will get, I hope) from you.

One of the questions I got the most was what Web apps I am using to "live only in the cloud" this week. So here's a short list that I talked about in the video.

For IM, I am using Meebo. I have multiple IM accounts, and this looked like a good one to try for that.

For an Office set of apps, I am trying out Google Docs.

For Twitter, I am using the Web-based version.

For e-mail, we have a Web-based version of Outlook for e-mail and calendar, so I am using that. But if I wasn't not, I'd be using Gmail or Google Calendar for this.

On the storage side of it all, I am using the free version of DropBox.

I also heard you all loud and clear, and I think I have fixed the glare issues in the way I shot the video.

One more thing: Some people have asked for my Twitter account so they can follow me. Here it is: http://twitter.com/topheratl. No promises I will follow back, but I will be on there talking about this.

OK. Stay tuned later today for a report on how Day One of all of this went. Thanks for reading, and keep the comments going!

Other post in this series:

Welcome to Tech Torture with Topher
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2 : Part 2
Tech Torture with Topher: Why?
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 3
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 4
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 5

Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

JimK   June 2nd, 2009 12:09 pm ET

Did almost 4 hours of writing this morning at a local coffee/pastry shop... carried my netbook in (without a bag or power cord) and logged on to Gmail. Updated my calendar with a few upcoming events, backed up my work before leaving to Moxy, and wrote a new book proposal using Google Docs.

Working this way isn't for everyone – but I'm definitely seeing more individuals giving it a try (especially freelancers I know). I know yesterday a lot of people talked about security and the risk of losing your work if these cloud sites go down... I'm at risk every time I turn on my PC at home with viruses, hard drive crashes, and lightning strikes... I guess what I'm saying is that my 'living in the cloud' makes my work life better, not more of a hassle, so I'm willing to take a few risks... (but is Google Mail and Calendar and Docs really going to go away? I doubt it.)

LouiseR   June 2nd, 2009 12:36 pm ET

Hey Topher. For storage you can also check out Microsoft Office Live Workspace – it gives you 5GB of free space and allows you to store, access and share documents created with Microsoft Office, as well as other programs and file types. Great for working in the cloud but also very nice for those who use desktop software in combination with cloud-based services.

DrewG   June 2nd, 2009 2:22 pm ET

Topher,

I assume you are like most professionals and you are highly mobile. You should try SugarSync for storage, synchronization of files, and mobile access. SugarSync has native apps for BlackBerry, iPhone, and WinMo devices.

I personally rely heavily on the mobile access to my cloud-based documents from my iPhone as I run in and out of meetings. The iPhone app also lets me stream my music from the cloud to my phone. The new BlackBerry app lets users edit documents in the cloud directly from their phone.

I'm using an Eee PC as my Netbook and it's great with SugarSync – I always have access to my cloud-based data. In addition to remote access of my data, I can sync some data locally if I'll need files while I'm offline (e.g., on a plane).

BTW – SugarSync just launched Free 2GB plans, so it's easy to kick the tires. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

David Schindler   June 2nd, 2009 2:31 pm ET

Topher, Check out Glide OS but make sure you turn off your pop up blocker.

Here is a link with some information:

I practically live in it. These guys are way out front in delivering the advantages of cloud computing (file sync w/version control that works across platforms and between users to sync group projects, rights based file sharing, automatic file compatibility for virtually all devices and platforms, and 10GBs of free storage). The file tracking tool that notifies you who is viewing your Glide email/attachments is indispensable.

Russell   June 9th, 2009 3:08 am ET

Its all good till your ISP goes down or even just slows down.

Loren Pritt   May 12th, 2013 12:47 pm ET

Google Docs is a data storage online-based service that is offered by Google for free. It allows you to collaborate with your colleagues while storing and editing data in real time. It has a word processing application that will let you share memos, articles or any documents with your team. It includes a spreadsheet application that enables you to share relevant data such as company reports, budget proposals and financial statements with your associates. Sharing files is made easier because these documents can be accessed by different people simultaneously. .:

Bye for now