SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 3, 2009

Tech Torture with Topher: Why?

Posted: 11:09 AM ET

Hey everyone,

I have gotten some great feedback on Twitter, and one of the questions I got a lot was, why am I doing this?

Good question. The video above explains it really well, but the short version of it is that myself and the editorial staff liked the idea of me taking on a task like the living in the cloud for a week and doing a video blog about it.

So we hope this is not the last one of these. Not sure how often they will happen, but with your help, we will have a second one soon.

What I would love from you all who have been reading and following is three things.

What did you like?
What did you not like?
What is a great, fun, crazy idea for the next Tech Torture with Topher?

I will try almost anything as long as I can still do my job as the SEO coordinator here at CNN.com.

So don't be shy. Put your thoughts in the comments.

Also, look for the update on the second 24 hours later today and see how living in the clouds has been working out for me.

Thanks

Other post in this series:

Welcome to Tech Torture with Topher
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2 : Part 2
Tech Torture with Topher: Why?
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 3
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 4
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 5

Posted by:
Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

Nora   June 3rd, 2009 12:25 pm ET

Love the idea of living in the clouds! Hopefully it won't be too painful not being connected to one single computer (it sure is addicting when you're used to having everything in one system!)

Hope to hear more about your progress!

Chris   June 3rd, 2009 1:09 pm ET

Enjoying the Tech Torture...pretty much anytime that Topher can be tortured is a fun day for me. Would like to hear more about the obstacles that you're overcoming. So far – it's been too easy! There have to be some documents that you need on your desktop computer that you can't get to and the frustration of that...right? I think you need to troll out to the public library and see if you can accomplish some of your daily tasks dealing with their heavy filters and real-life access speeds. How to torture you next? I'll be thinking....

Miss_B   June 3rd, 2009 4:17 pm ET

I don't think it's stupid or dorky at all. I think this is a neat experiment. Perhaps some people have been doing this for a long time but not everyone has! I am really interested in learning more about this subject and am enjoying this blog!

What do you use as a desktop app for Twitter? I've only used the twitter.com page, and I only follow about seven or eight people because otherwise I just can't keep track of it.

I giggled at your glare/camera issues in the first two videos. I kept thinking, "But he works at CNN! Surely there is someone at a desk nearby who can advise him on this!" LOL!

Are you trying to live in the cloud for non-work computing this week as well? One of the things I wondered about was dealing with my iTunes library without a desktop app.

I am also curious to know more about the types of tasks you do on a daily basis. That might give us a better idea of what sorts of apps you need to use to stay in the cloud.

To test this concept, I'd like to see you do a blog video from a remote location like a coffee shop, inside your car or at the airport.

Keep up the good work!

Danny   June 3rd, 2009 4:56 pm ET

I think what this series fails to take into account is that it's not either desktop or cloud, but effective use of both. I might create word documents, then upload them to Google Docs or email them.

Taylor Atkins   June 4th, 2009 2:02 am ET

I have that same pen! I got it from Lego Land like 5 years ago. I think I have the R2D2 pen also.

TCarr   June 4th, 2009 7:17 pm ET

What I'm interested in is what are you doing to ensure that the documents you are storing are secure?

Danny pointed out here another thing: What are you using to actually construct your documents? Are those applications actually online?

If you need to make a graphic for something or an icon, how are you doing that online? (Aviary.com is a good idea, actually, but more open so you can't really copyright or reserve rights).

I like the idea of cloud computing and I'm very much interested in this. But I also would like to see your take on security issues in cloud computing as well.

Leave Your Comment