SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 5, 2009

Tech Torture with Topher, Day 5

Posted: 02:02 PM ET

The final day is done.

This was great week, and I loved all of the feedback I got from you all.

So the big question is, was this Tech Torture with Topher a success? Could I work 100 percent in the clouds?

I had two files that couldn’t be opened in an online application, so I had to use a desktop app.

Like I said in the video, if you have a job that needs no special software, and all you need to to do is work in a word processor and a spreadsheet with e-mail (like me), then yeah, with some planning and work, you can do this really well (with some bumps).

If you need to do some editing of video, audio or images, then no, this is not possible for you to do at this time. In the future, maybe, but not right now.

Thanks for everything this week, and keep the comments and tweets going. And send me ideas for the next Tech Torture with Topher.

Thanks, all.

Other post in this series:

Welcome to Tech Torture with Topher
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 2 : Part 2
Tech Torture with Topher: Why?
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 3
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 4
Tech Torture with Topher, Day 5

Posted by:
Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

Miss_B   June 5th, 2009 6:57 pm ET

I hope you will do another one. You'll get smoother and more comfortable with the process as you do it more often. You already have a sign-off, so you're well on your way! I watched the interview too and you did just fine. Someone else suggested looking at "living in the sticks" and I love that idea too. I have Tech Torture bookmarked, so I'll see you next time!

Evan Stewart   June 6th, 2009 5:22 am ET

Was "Tech Torture with Topher a success" No is the answer. Please stop wasting the real gurus of technology world with your nabby panby, cupcake advice. For people out there who can afford 2- 3 dollars a month or 40 bucks for the whole year, use Mozy.com, or Sugarsync.com and some of them work with the iPhone and can visualize everything. And if you need to open the documents, use Openoffice.org (hello, free). You can work 100 % off the clouds, if you're smart and a 30+ year nerd veteran. Don't waste your time with Topher.

Evan Stewart   June 6th, 2009 5:29 am ET

Also I use Google Docs on my iPhone and Palm Pre for total control of all documents (be it calendar, contacts, word documents, spreadsheets and powerpoints, including video editing with Palm Pre and the new iPhone 4G- coming out in late July 2009) in view and edit modes.

J. Claude Chauveau   June 8th, 2009 4:17 pm ET

Hi Topher,

Have you taken a look at http://www.glidemobile.com/browser_index.aspx?

Cheers
J.Claude

S/360 VET   June 9th, 2009 4:06 pm ET

Dear Moderator and/or Blog Police:
Yet again, CNN has deleted a blog post of mine. It seems like some sort of vendetta based on my e-mail identity or something, because I DO comply with the CNN Comment Policy - more so than many of the posts that you let slide on by.
Did you even read the post [June 6th, 2009 5:22 am ET] to which I took exception? Not only was that post technically incorrect and grammatically challenged, the tone was blatantly disrespectful of the blog's author. Please, enlighten me: what made that entry acceptable, but not mine?
As I indicated, this is not the first time this has happened to me on CNN, although the majority of my comments are relevant, on-topic and otherwise compliant with Policy. It's almost enough to make a person paranoid, and to wonder what it is that you're trying to suppress. On the other hand, it may be more arbitrary than that, and you're just in a bad mood. A lot.
Take a look at http://www.communityspark.com/the-real-purpose-of-forum-moderators-revealed/ - you might learn something.

without   June 29th, 2009 4:50 pm ET

I like online backups, and web apps ("cloud" computing has been around for a decade– it used to be webmail in the 1990s, terminal mainframe apps 40+ years ago, now it's glamourized with a new "cloud computing" name.)

I like web apps, such as word processing and e-mail. But, I see no need to use them regularly. I rarely am at a computer that doesn't have them. I generally am at my work or home PC. Offline apps are much, much quicker than web (ugh, "cloud") apps. Why waste my time signing into some web app when I can do the same thing faster offline? I also am reluctant to hand over private or confidential documents to web apps.

It's nice to be able to access my files from another PC or smartphone. But, it's not always efficient to edit docs or photos on some web/mobile app. If I can access the file, chances are, I can send it to myself and find a nearby PC.

Leave Your Comment