SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 8, 2009

What iPhone news do you want to hear today?

Posted: 09:41 AM ET

Here we are, mere hours from the 1 p.m. ET keynote address at Apple's World Wide Developers Conference. I can hardly sit still.

What will we see? What new toys will be revealed by the Cult of Steve? Will we be overwhelmingly pleased or will the reality pale next to the hype?

At the very least we should get the long-promised 3.0 update of the iPhone software. If that's not available for download today, expect a lot of grumbling from the peanut gallery. This will bring the iPhone a ton of new features - multimedia messaging, global search, and (the one I'm so ready for) background notifications.

Also expected is the announcement of new hardware - refining the phone with such dreamed-of features as video recording, a better camera and dramatically increased speed and processing power. I don't think this will be available today, but I would give them money to ensure I get my hands on one as soon as they've shipped (all they really have to do to hook me is release a 32GB version).

We should also hear new details on Apple's upcoming operating system, dubbed "Snow Leopard."

What do you hope to see? What's unlikely? Will there be a jaw-dropping "one more thing?"

Posted by:
Filed under: iPhone

Crusader   June 8th, 2009 1:32 pm ET

Flash...

evan brooks   June 8th, 2009 1:33 pm ET

I believe that it could be a possible drop in price for the iphone since the Palm Pre is coming out. But looking at the palm pre its not as flexible as the iphone. I believe the ability for the iphone to teeter via data cord or blue doogle could be feature for the iphone. Alot of business consumers are looking to get the iphone and that is one of its draw backs. I admit with the 3.0 we more then sure will see the video recorder the copy paste style and backgrounds on the back of the page home main screen. I have a funny feeling this will begin very shortly because of the 2010 exp date for AT&T and apple, steve jobs, and the the 40 million folks that currently have the iphone.

Gabe   June 8th, 2009 1:35 pm ET

I would love to see a version of the iPhone for other carriers like Verizon Wireless but do think it's unlikely.

mPE3000   June 8th, 2009 2:22 pm ET

I wish there was a "mark all as read" in the Mail app. Whenever I turn on my mail, it downloads the last 25 messages, which I have already read on my cpu. I have to go through them one by one to mark them as read before the little number on top of the icon goes away.

Fix it!

Robert   June 8th, 2009 3:14 pm ET

I want to see a 64Gb iPhone

SV   June 8th, 2009 3:15 pm ET

Flash?

Frostymon   June 8th, 2009 3:30 pm ET

I want the new software and FLASH!

tbone   June 8th, 2009 3:36 pm ET

A physical qwerty keyboard

Double N   June 8th, 2009 3:44 pm ET

How about an iPhone that isn't slated for planned obsolescence, or perhaps a user-changeable battery? I'd like to see an iPhone that doesn't slow down to a snail's pace after running for a little over a year.

Verizon User   June 8th, 2009 3:47 pm ET

GET ON VERIZON!!!

Brian   June 8th, 2009 3:52 pm ET

Wanted a user replaceable battery. Is that too much to want?

Ben   June 8th, 2009 3:58 pm ET

I wish everyone would stop making a big deal out of the new releases. The G1 was released with those features and it took Apple two years to bring Cut and Paste and a working MMS feature. Damn thats top of the line!

Shirley Ireton   June 8th, 2009 4:02 pm ET

Will buy an IPhone when I can use it on Verizon. Until then I'll stick with my cheap phones and wireless internet service.

The Dude   June 8th, 2009 4:13 pm ET

How about handwriting recognition for notes, email and so on? It is available if you can write in chinese or japanese, why not english ?

Randy   June 8th, 2009 5:49 pm ET

Let's run down all the gripes of people so far:

1. If your mail doesn't show up as read on your 'Phone, the fix is to use IMAP with your mail. I use mac.com, now known as MobileMe, and my desktop, notebook, and iPhone all access mail via IMAP. That makes mail read, sent, deleted, replied to, forwarded, yada yada on one system show up as such on all of 'em. POP and other protocols don't work that way, plain and simple.

2. Flash ain't happening.

3. iPhone uses GSM hardware. Hence the two US carriers to choose from are AT&T and T Mobile. Why would Apple use CDMA hardware when it only exists in the US? GSM hardware works worldwide. The G stands for global after all.

4. As a practical matter, who replaces cell phone batteries? They cost nearly as much as a new phone, at least for other phones. There are companies who offer iPod battery replacement with pro installation in the $50 range, and I'll just bet the same will happen with iPhones when they've been in the field long enough to need it.

5. Who wants a keyboard? Anyone who wants one, along with the brick sized form factor that one requires, should look elsewhere.

My gripe is how OS 3.0 says it supports tethering, but not in the US. AT&T needs to pull its head out and allow tethering and allow Skype and other apps to use the cellular network rather than wireless only.

pajja   June 8th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

CDMA exists in a few other countries, not just the USA, but GSM is pretty much used in the majority of them.

peter   June 8th, 2009 10:26 pm ET

Is Option Wireless NV delivering the wireless technology to enable double the internet speed of the 3GS?

Joy   June 8th, 2009 11:12 pm ET

My gripe is those AT&T customers that already own an iphone...can't upgrade to the new phone. They have to pay the full price as though they were a new customer. You would think they would give those loyal customers a break.

Carlos   June 8th, 2009 11:18 pm ET

Can anyone tell me if this new 3GS will allow me to attached a file(PDF, Excel, etc.) like you can on a computer? That's one thing that I really need it to have. If not, I must jump ship to BB.

Makita   June 9th, 2009 12:00 am ET

I want to see a fix for the problem of syncing with itunes. They are introducing new phones, but wont' help those of us who already have phones correct the problems. I added the new software that is supposed to prepare the phone for the 3.0 software and now I can't sync with itunes. The blogs on this problem go back to 2007, and yet there is no fix.

Thehawkster   June 9th, 2009 10:36 am ET

Lets see now. New Iphone FINLAY has features it should have had 3 years ago.
And that is its upgrade..?
And if your a loyal Iphone user you have to pay twice the price for the new phone because of AT@T pricing.

Palm Pre is $199, and is every bit as nice as the Iphone, and WILL be available on more than one carrier. I know the Pre has no were near the aps yet that the Iphone has, but that will change.

I really think Apple fell down on this one. And I look for the Pre to cut into Apples Smart Phone sales big time.

B.McConk   June 14th, 2009 3:53 am ET

Anyone without an Iphone is jealous of everyone that has one. Even if it is the 2g models. There is not one phone out there that can compare to this phone. Now they make it a little faster which is deffinate not a bad thing. I have the 3g 16g model now im jealous of the people that have the "S" (supercharged) model. I will have to wait two years before i upgrade to the next Iphone. 64 gig?! You must really use a lot of apps or just have a rediculous amount of songs that you like to listen to straight through. I wouldnt put it past apple though. I know they are going to become or are the leaders in the "smart phone market" of cell phones. Now if just ATT would get a little better service around my house.

Maybe in june of next year they will have a little better phone.

Leave Your Comment