SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 17, 2009

Download Internet Explorer 8 and feed the poor

Posted: 09:56 AM ET

As a longtime Firefox supporter and a web designer who is often frustrated by Internet Explorer's lax adherence to web standards, I was not particularly excited when Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) was released earlier this year. However, Microsoft's new IE8 marketing campaign has managed to grab my attention.

According to a Microsoft press release:

For every completed download of Internet Explorer 8, Microsoft’s Browser for the Better campaign will donate the financial equivalent of eight meals to Feeding America’s network of 206 local food banks, which supplies food to more than 25 million Americans each year.

In order to participate, users need to download a complete copy of IE8 from the Browser for the Better website by August 8, 2009.

Given that most web surfers (approximately 66 percent of the browser market) already use some version of Internet Explorer, this seems like the perfect opportunity for many people to upgrade. And those of you married to Firefox, Safari or Chrome can still participate.  I'm confident your favorite browser will forgive your brief infidelity if IE8 doesn't satisfy. After all, it was for charity.

Posted by:
Filed under: computers • Google Chrome • Internet • online news

C Ward   June 17th, 2009 10:19 am ET

IE8 is actually a pretty good browser, esp from a web developer's perspective. Microsoft made a move to begin following significantly more web standards in IE8. They also built in helpful developer tools.
Interestingly, Microsoft made such drastic moves to adhere to web standards that some sites designed for IE 6 or 7, may actually look terrible in IE8, but Microsoft provided an easy fix for that by simply adding one line of code to your site, or the users can click a button that basically tells IE8 to run like the old non-standards following IE7.

ED   June 17th, 2009 11:18 am ET

Wow....Talk about trying to "guilt trip" you into using their product. Is there nothing sacred to microsoft save their bottom line? Firefox for me, I can not in good conscience support a company like this...They lost me with vista and the withholding of DX10, this just reinforces that feeling...

Manwe   June 17th, 2009 11:43 am ET

ED, I understand your feeling. I do not have pretty high opinion about Microsoft either. But if by downloading this piece of compiled software, some KID is going to get food, hell, yes, I'll do it... for that hungry kid...

amyolson   June 17th, 2009 1:04 pm ET

Thats pretty impressive. Sometimes I feel that in peoples dislike of some of Microsofts practices they forget about all the good they do as well.

Also I feel IE 8 is pretty good. It is a definate improvement over previous versions and is closing the gap between the browsers.

Gandalf   June 17th, 2009 5:51 pm ET

I'm willing to spend a few minutes downloading it (for a good cause), but I'll eat my keyboard letter by letter before I install it.

John   June 17th, 2009 6:26 pm ET

I downloaded it for the sake of the kids, tried to see if I could install it through wine out of curiosity (install failed), and then deleted the installer.

I have briefly tried it on a windows machine however, and must say it's not complete garbage like its predecessors. I attribute most of this newfound approval to the improvement in web standards compatibility, good job team Trident.

Josh   June 17th, 2009 7:06 pm ET

while I've had my issues with Microsoft over the years I am more than happy to download their browser for a great cause.

I'm actually impressed with IE8, it is the best version of IE ever. MS is following web standards more than in the past. As designers and developers we need to stay focused in the "now" and develop for what we have, and stop looking back to what MS has done in the past.

Oh and Ed, I don't believe its a "guilt trip" do you really think it is? I see it for what it is, marketing, and in the process some deserving people receive meals.

Considering we have to test our web sites in the top browsers anyway, I think downloading the browser for a good cause is cool, and I'm all for it. I don't think MS is in a board room with the lights turned down yelling about "your meddling with primal forces..." like the movie "Network" acting supreme, and evil. Greedy, yes, but not evil. All corporations care about is their bottom line, and if some charity is helped lets focus on that positive.

GizaDog   June 17th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

He says the "Marketing campaign" stole his heart. I just shed a tear.

Marcus Vinicius Pinto Schtruk   June 18th, 2009 8:32 am ET

It´s probably one of the most impressive marketing campaigns I've ever heard of. One has to think twice before choosing between IE 8 and Firefox.

lostmouse   June 18th, 2009 3:07 pm ET

i will not download it – even for the cause. If they had any honor, MS would just outright donate the money without counting the downloads. They do this just to say "we have more browser users than..." Don't add to the count! Donate your own money to a local, real, deserving charity or if you don't have the money, donate your time. So now you know, then MS says they have the most users, you can subtract all these people who say they downloaded, but didn't install...

Kaiti   June 18th, 2009 4:04 pm ET

I tried IE8 and it was DRAGGING on my XP Pro machine. Everything took forever, so I switched back to IE7 and I'm not inclined to try it again. But they only say you have to *download* IE8. Does the fine print say anything about actually installing or using it?🙂

xwindowsjunkie   June 19th, 2009 12:43 am ET

If it will suck more cash out of Microsoft's pocket, why not?

Maybe there should be some "robots" programmed to continually download the IE8 install file to run-up the tally and make the charity bill bigger.

Feran   June 19th, 2009 7:45 pm ET

Hi, this is Feran with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team. Just to clarify for anyone who want to download to donate it does need to be downloaded as well as installed from the Browser for the Better site.

Thanks,
Feran

Charles Fator   August 6th, 2009 2:24 pm ET

As a web developer of 15 years I can definitively state that IE8 is no where near as good a browser as Firefox, Chrome or Safari. Its actually quite bad (IE6 and 7 are horrible so comparing to those means nothing). When technological innovation doesn't get the job done pull out the wallet.

Darlene lawson   October 24th, 2009 9:58 am ET

I also downloaded IE8. Do not really like it. Can I safely delete it without losing any of my other programs and go back to IE7. Is it an easy switch?

Reuben Powell   April 28th, 2010 2:43 pm ET

Internet Explorer 8 is very good because it is as stable as Opera. I hate the previous versions of IE like IE6 because it hangs frequently. ~

Breakfast Nook    October 19th, 2010 10:37 am ET

the best thing about IE8 is that it is quite stable than previous releases of Internet Explorer:.`

Alleen Johansson   May 19th, 2013 1:51 pm ET

Internet Explorer 8 is the last version of Internet Explorer to be supported on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003; the next version, Internet Explorer 9, is supported only on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows 7 operating systems.'*..:

http://www.healthmedicinebook.comNewly released piece of writing from our web-site

Leave Your Comment