SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 18, 2009

Some report problems in downloading new iPhone OS

Posted: 11:36 AM ET

According to Web reports, some iPhone owners have had trouble updating their devices with the phone's new 3.0 operating system, which Apple made available for download Wednesday.

Complaints flooded Twitter and other social-networking sites Wednesday from people who said they received an iTunes error message stating the “iPhone activation server is unavailable.”

CNET reporter Stephen Shankland finally succeeded in upgrading his iPhone Wednesday afternoon after some 30 tries, according to a report by his CNET colleague Erica Ogg, who had this take on the issue:

This, of course, is a repeat of what happened last year, when Apple's iTunes servers couldn't withstand the barrage of traffic when customers tried to update to iPhone 2.0 software at the same time new iPhone 3G buyers were attempting to activate their phones.

The problem appeared to have eased by Thursday morning, judging by reports on Twitter.

Did you have issues downloading your new iPhone software? And if you succeeded, how do you like your upgraded phone?

Posted by:
Filed under: iPhone

dycusburg   June 18th, 2009 11:43 am ET

Zero problems. I like the fact that I can finally forward texts. So annoying. I'm hoping picture messaging is added soon.

SEAN   June 18th, 2009 11:53 am ET

Not much of an upgrade!!! pretty much a big disappointment.....

Todd   June 18th, 2009 12:32 pm ET

Great upgrade from the lanscape keyboard for texting to the cut, copy and paste in any text entering app. Voice recorder pretty cool too.

Mark   June 18th, 2009 12:44 pm ET

I tried for over an hour before I was finally successful. The download and installation went perfectly after I was finally able to log in. However, to my dismay, the MMS feature still doesn't work because AT&T won't open this feature until the end of summer. How RETARDED is that. AT&T is the exclusive carrier of the iPhone and they didn't work in conjunction with Apple to get this ready for use when the new OS came out?!! Come on guys, get your act together!

Michael   June 18th, 2009 1:04 pm ET

I had a little trouble... But what do you expect? I was on the phone with Apple (On another issue) and was told that I may see and error and just to keep my phone connected and retry it again. I did that 3 to 5 times and was right in and downloaded the software!

I think we have grown to think that everything in life has to be "RIGHT NOW!!!". I blame polaroid!! (LOL) If you really think about it, I just changed over all the software on a little portable hand held computer that let's me make calls, text, tweet, take pictures, surf the net, play games, and a whole lot more.... I think I can wait 15 or 20 mins to do all that!!

Amy Koziura   June 18th, 2009 1:13 pm ET

I had zero problems on Wednesday, updated on 1st download. A few of my friends also stated they had zero problems.

Jen   June 18th, 2009 1:27 pm ET

I got the update for the iPod touch — the download was fine, install was fine...everything went well! I did hear of a few people having their iPods lock up after the install, but overall the update was great.

climberccm   June 18th, 2009 1:27 pm ET

Download went fine. Got the error message that “iPhone activation server is unavailable.” But phone operates without incidence.

Michael   June 18th, 2009 1:49 pm ET

Hey... Not much of an upgrade??? I can come up with 40 kool new things without much thought.

And hey it's an Apple product there has always been a work around for sending pictures from your phone. To send a picture message just add this to your contact list 10digit#@mms.att.net will email a picture to an AT&T phone and you can do this for every carrier!

Conservative Independent   June 18th, 2009 2:26 pm ET

Very easy download. Took 30 minutes for the whole process to work and that was on the first try. I like the new features, but most of them could have been added a long time ago. What I'm really waiting for is my new 3Gs to be delivered. Crossing my fingers that it will actually be tomorrow....

Scott   June 18th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

Had to upgrade iTunes first – then upgraded the iphone OS.

Now iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone – even though it saw it during the upgrade and subsequent sync. After I disconnected the phone it no longer can tell it;s my phone no matter what I try.

VERY DISAPPOINTED and not sure where to go for help.

Beverly   June 18th, 2009 3:08 pm ET

I finally got mine to work by using a totally different computer now I have to HOPE that my contacts and apps will be restored when I sync with my original computer

Ann   June 18th, 2009 3:52 pm ET

PROBLEMS!!! The download seemed to go seamlessly, but 75% of my applications won't download onto my iphone! Argh!

Bubba   June 18th, 2009 4:04 pm ET

I tried for 4 hours before it would download the sw.

AT&T network continues to be slower than ever and AT&T thinks this new 3gS will be faster than ever, heck they can't ever handle the capacity today with all the data going on.

Seems like AT&T talks a lot but dont show any actions to speak about their great speeds.

SHOW ME AT&T – DON'T TELL THE PUBLIC YOUR SPEEDS ARE FASTER THAN THE COMPETITION!!!!

lostsamurai   June 18th, 2009 4:24 pm ET

I updated my iPhone last night and didn't have any problems. All I did was update iTunes, then downloaded the update only and installed it seperately. I didn't get any error messages at all.

At first I was excited about the update but once you use the landscape feature several times, it wasn't that big of a deal. There really wasn't much of a change although Safari now works a little faster. But again by not much. I think I'll wait until they release a 4G iPhone to upgrade.

Scott   June 18th, 2009 4:56 pm ET

No major problems upgrading. The biggest complaint I had was that it rearranged some of my apps, but that was a quick fix. I made sure that I sync'd the phone first, then downloaded and installed the upgrade.

I'm very happy with the landscape keyboard. Voice notes should be handy to use.

Will be picking up the 3GS tomorrow, to upgrade from my 1st Gen 8 gig. Looking forward to the GPS, compass, and other new features!

fantosmita   June 18th, 2009 6:43 pm ET

I am in Spain and I have downloaded the update without any problem. One try only. Though I like the new software so far, I still need to ask when apple will let to run java in their phones.... It will be so nice to have that feature.

dman   June 18th, 2009 7:46 pm ET

No issues here on either of my Iphones. It took 10 minutes, but the upgrade was Smooth! I updated my phones on Wednesday night, but had issues Thursday with the 3g network in the Tampa area being unavaiable. There was an apparent outage for an hour, but service came back up and I have not had any issues

Mike   June 18th, 2009 10:06 pm ET

Trying, and Trying, and trying....so annoying

Pete C   June 19th, 2009 12:59 am ET

I had no problem updating. The features are as promised, a little disappointed in the release. I never understood why copy and paste was so important to so many commentors.

I haven't gotten "find my iphone to work" I was looking forward to testing it. Set the phone to allow it, logged into me.com, everything appeared ok, but the service says it can't locate the phone, and the option to send a message to the phone says it's sent, but I never receive it. Hopefully this is just because too many people are using it.

Bill Adams   June 19th, 2009 3:58 am ET

I downloaded 3.0 Wednesday night on two phones with no problems. I am still exploring it. The Find My Phone feature is great idea, but needs to be more accurate. The circle target included five neighbors' houses as well as mine. With GPS it should be 5 meters or so.

Jon Bountalas   June 19th, 2009 7:42 am ET

I heard that the upgrade would be available at 1 PM Eastern, and when I clicked 'Check for Updates' in iTunes at 1:30, it announced the update was available and started to download.
The D\L took 6 minutes, then another 3 or 4 minutes to install and reboot the phone.
Too bad they didn't allow video in the upgrade, but the search abilities and copy and paste are great, and the tethering is really dead simple to set up, and just works.

As far as upgrading to a new one, I can't fill up the 16 GB on this one, and the new model would have to be signifigantly faster, so I may skip this iteration and wait for the next one which will probably come out this time next year.

LJ   June 19th, 2009 10:25 am ET

Had activation probs on Wed and had to wait till Thurs to get the upgrade. You would expect Apple to be ready for the flood of requests. I think the 3.0 upgrade is overrated....include video in it and I would be impressed.

spyke16   June 19th, 2009 12:03 pm ET

I downloaded the software Wednesday, had no problems. I dont really see the big hype, although I am very glad to be able to text in landscape, and the voice recorder is amazing!. AT&T has actually been very slow for me lately. Sunday evening, in the St. louis area, there was a tower down for 9 hours, very upset about that, and keep experiencing dead zones....come on AT&T, "worlds fast 3G network" with "the MOST bars"-what a flop!!!. I honestly have been thinking about switching phone companies.

John Tirrell   June 19th, 2009 12:53 pm ET

Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between AT&T and ITunes/Apple…ITunes no longer accepts activation of Prepaid – Pay as you go service. Of course they didn’t tell me this until AT&T charged my card $59 first month pay as you go service. When I tried to activate my IPhone through ITunes I was told as of last week, they no longer provide prepaid service. AT&T won’t refund my money…just a heads up in case you had prepaid Iphone services. Now I have a dead $300 Iphone permanently locked and no cellphone. Thanks Mr. Jobs

edward   June 19th, 2009 1:14 pm ET

MMS does not work

Mike Rulle   June 20th, 2009 9:33 am ET

I keep getting a "cannot back-up your iphone " message about 70% into the download process-have tried 5 times-then it times out. I have 8.2 itunes.

linda   June 21st, 2009 4:25 am ET

My iPhone locked up the next day after the download. I cannot delete open applications on safari, and I cannot open some apps.

Dave Nyemaster   June 21st, 2009 10:14 pm ET

I still miss the fact that I cannot move regular computer files to and from my iPhone, and that I can't do anything with mail that has multimedia content. My old ATT 8525 was light years ahead in that department. Oh well, guess we have to wait for the hacks to become available. Why is it that Apple wants to keep everybody restricted is beyond me. Bucause of this. the iPhone is ALMOST a perfect product.

joe   June 22nd, 2009 3:34 pm ET

I had no trouble downloading and installling OS 3.0 on my 1st gen iPhone. But after installation the phone would not go beyond the apple logo. I've tried all the standard tips such as restoring and holding down the power on and main buttons at the same time. This does force a reboot but only to the logo again. In short my phone is bricked. Went to genius bar on Saturday and could not get in the building! I would advise anyone with older generation phone not to attempt to install Ver 3.0 for awhile.

Christine   June 24th, 2009 2:22 pm ET

Still having problems getting the upgrade.

disgruntled   June 24th, 2009 4:11 pm ET

If I could just get and maintain signal strength, I would be happy. How about being an expert at the basics like making and receiving call. Screw the download even though I didn't have problems.

Sherry   June 25th, 2009 2:43 pm ET

Since downloading the new OS my iphone has shut down on its own several times...while playing music and doing nothing else. All of a sudden the music is gone and I look at the screen and there is the white apple logo. I shut it off and back on and still the logo. After doing this a couple of times it finally comes back on. I guess if it happens again I should go to the genius bar and see what they say.

Richard   June 26th, 2009 9:07 pm ET

Did find that the upload time listed in iTunes on my first try said it would take over 3 hours, so I dropped the download, reconnected the iPhone and it then took no time at all on the second try. The new OS, even for my ancient non 3G model is great...I detest mms messages anyway...rather get my pics sent via a twitter link...things seem to move faster and the keyboard seems more responsive!!

Betty   June 27th, 2009 5:06 pm ET

=) can always try resetting the Network settings on the device after updating the iPhone Softawre if you can no connect.

jjb   June 28th, 2009 2:07 pm ET

My kids got me the iphone for mother's day and nothing but problems. The download and install worked fine, but now about 10 of my apps are gone. There in itunes but won't sinc to my iphone. I hate this thing.

adam   July 9th, 2009 6:31 am ET

No problem downloading, but my phone keeps shutting down.....

Mike   July 29th, 2009 2:37 pm ET

Major problems downloading the update over fifty attempts and still trying, wasted so much time just to download the software but always the same error message – I was impressed with my Ipod Touch but after all this I wish I had never bought the thing

Ele Villegas   June 27th, 2010 8:19 pm ET

It dosnt even download it? It says something like can't contact server?

Lulu   March 4th, 2012 1:01 am ET

1. The phone works fine 3G is new, so there might be some glitches now and then ..only 2% of the users are ianhvg issues .or so they say compared to what? What phone doesn't drop calls? .only my LAND LINE.2. Having that much technology in your pocket is worth it. Internet, Photos, Stocks, Mapping, e-mail, SMS oh yeah..plus video iPod it is great for all those things .and it will spoil you very quickly as it sets a new standard for all the OTHER Cell Phone Mfrs ..want to look at an attachment from your Crackberry? just forward it to your iPhone you'll see it as if it were on a PC (smaller, but you can expand sections) I hope someday that they make a 10 x 12 version maybe they can called iTablet?3. Battery Life .just charge it every night on your night stand, and don't forget to set it's alarm .it works great as an alarm clock also.4. It's part of who you are APPLE like Lexus, means best in class .nothing wrong in working hard and getting the finer things in life you deserve it!5. iGet the iPhone

Lhommedieu   April 4th, 2013 2:25 am ET

You actually make it appear so easy with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually one thing that I feel I would by no means understand. Lhommedieu http://alsedov.ru/ikea/

Leave Your Comment