SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
June 29, 2009

Tech Torture with Topher: Bye-bye smartphone

Posted: 02:55 PM ET

Welcome back everyone to a new Tech Torture with Topher.

First off, thanks to everyone who made the last TTWT such a hit. Because of you all, we get to do a new one this week. The torture topic? My smartphone.

Let me explain. Like many of you, I have a company-issued phone through which my bosses and co-workers often contact me. I have it with me all the time and believe I couldn't do my job without it.

But is that really true? We're about to find out. I'm giving up my CNN-issued iPhone for the week and will try to get by instead on an old phone with no Web, e-mail or even texting capability. How will this impact my day? Will I e-mail more or less? Will I spend more time at my desk?

What impact, if any, will it have on Twitter, Facebook and AIM - which I use not just for personal reasons but to keep in contact with other people who work in the same field?

I'm sure some of you will be wondering what the big deal is. You don’t have an iPhone or a BlackBerry and you get along just great in your day-to-day life. But in the past month I've heard from a lot of people who say they couldn't do their job without their smartphones. So it's not just me.

OK, here we go. I'll post daily updates throughout the week. In the meantime, hop over on to Twitter or leave a comment below. And check back in tomorrow to see how I'm doing.

Other post in this series:

Tech Torture with Topher: Bye-bye smartphone
Tech Torture with Topher: I want my smartphone back!!
Tech Torture with Topher: I want my Phone Back
Tech Torture with Topher: My Phone's Back and all's Right With the World

Editor’s note: Topher Kohan is the search engine optimization (SEO) coordinator for CNN.com, a tech dork, a “Star Wars” aficionado and an all-around good guy. (No, really, he is — just ask him.)

Posted by:
Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

Asgod   June 30th, 2009 1:30 pm ET

Good luck! But it's gonna be hard for you to get updated unless you check with your laptop every now and then.

mr.britt   July 6th, 2009 10:56 pm ET

all this is NUTS, i have one of the first digital NOKIA's and could not be happier with it...and it wasnt even 100.00. I just dont see paying that much money JUST to be tied down to a phone... whatever happened to rotary phones and RC cola?

Ralph   August 13th, 2009 1:24 pm ET

But can Topher do without an operating system for his PC???
I'd like to see him try that! If you want my take on the new Microsoft OS release check out "Windows 7: Top Ten Reasons You WANT It at http://ralph-altman.com

chris   August 18th, 2009 10:37 am ET

Battery savings,

How best to set up the Blackberry and Notebook, should you suddenly realise at the airport that you have forgotten your BlackBerry charger and notebook charger at the office.

How many days could you (with interupted turning on and off the notebook and phone) be able to do basic work you want if you concentrated it in short bursts.

Benjamin   September 8th, 2009 9:43 am ET

MS Windows Mobile
So MS is joining the parade and getting out its own phone – complete with Windows Mobile 6.5.
Cool!
But could they not pay the design group NOT to copy the iPhone?
I guess it was too much to ask.
Wake up MS and put on that thinking cap.
– Disappointed Techie

adult oyunlar oyna   July 24th, 2012 2:17 am ET

Woah this weblog is fantastic i really like studying your posts. Stay up the good paintings! You already know, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you can aid them greatly.

document disposal   September 25th, 2012 7:12 pm ET

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info approximately this subject for ages and yours is the best I have came upon till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you certain about the source?|What i don't understood is if truth be told how you're now not actually a lot more well-favored than you might be now. You are very intelligent.

McAuley   October 24th, 2012 11:48 am ET

I think that if you can't do your job without a smartphone, then you're probably not smart enough to do your job. Either that or you're too lazy.

Signed,
A non-smartphone user

Jamel Bozeman   April 25th, 2013 10:49 pm ET

In some countries, especially those with small numbers of animals being milked, as well as harvesting the milk from an animal, the dairy may also process the milk into butter, cheese and yogurt, for example. This is a traditional method of producing specialist milk products, especially in Europe.*^

Au revoir