SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
July 3, 2009

Topher: My phone's back and all's right with the world

Posted: 01:23 PM ET

Well this is it: The last day of this week's Tech Torture with Topher.

I spent a hellish week without my smartphone, but I'm about to get it back in my hands again. Not a moment too soon.

Here's what I've learned this week: I am fully addicted to being connected at all times. I like the fact that between computers and my iPhone I can get online at almost any time of day and get information or have a conversation.

Thanks to everyone who commented and Twittered me about this. Part of the reason I do this monthly video blog series to get feedback and start conversations with you, our audience. But, to answer one disappointed commenter - no, I am not Topher Grace.

I'm looking for ideas for the next Tech Torture with Topher in August, so if you have any suggestions, drop them in the comments or head over to Twitter and message me there.

Thanks again! From me and Darth - see you next time.

Other post in this series:

Tech Torture with Topher: Bye-bye smartphone
Tech Torture with Topher: I want my smartphone back!!
Tech Torture with Topher: I want my Phone Back

Posted by:
Filed under: Tech Torture with Topher

DJ   July 4th, 2009 10:33 am ET

Does anyone at CNN cover the science part of scitech blogs anymore? All I ever see here is tech stuff. Maybe you should rename this area if no one plans on covering any science.

More science please!

Bob Hope   July 4th, 2009 11:13 am ET

What an ass. Can't live without your smartphone, eh? Poor you. Let me tweet ya a song wich I talk about in a video over here, or we can chat on it in IM, or use my facebook app to see it. Oh wait.. that's right.. I'm f'in normal.. I don't need these useless thing.. don't you wish u were?

Clement   July 4th, 2009 4:23 pm ET

Do a torture test on your iPhone!

ubikuberalles   July 4th, 2009 5:59 pm ET

Spend a week without your car. It's not hi-tech like an iPhone or iPod but it's still technology. During that week use the bus, bicycle to work or even bum a ride from your co-workers. The point is you won't be driving a personal gas powered vehicle. This might be easily accomplished in an urban location like Boston or NYC but much more challenging if you lived in a city that depends entirely on cars like Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

Alex   July 5th, 2009 6:14 am ET

I watched your series about being without your blackberry. I have to say i thought it was interesting to see how you (topher) began to actually have emotional withdrawl coupled with the obvious "connectivity" issues. You said "im feeling withdrawl" , the key word being "feeling". You were "feeling" less connected etc. Your sense of self is, as you finally acknowledged in the last video, affected more than you actually realized by the use of this device. Its interesting to see how something you are, in reality, required to use for your JOB, has transcended itself in your life as being an integral part of who you are as a social person. Makes me kind of shiver to think a day is coming when i will meet a young kid and put out my hand for a handshake and he will look at me puzzled as to why im doing that.....

Lance Drake   July 5th, 2009 9:02 pm ET

OK – Let's get the word TORTURE out of the title of this fellows articles.

This is not TORTURE – it's an inappropriate use of a 'hot word' which has huge implications in our culture. You're diminishing the meaning, value, and impact of the word when you attach it to the shennagins of this fellow.

SERIOUSLY!... How about we rip the fingernails off of this guy's left hand and see if he still wants to use the word TORTURE as it would apply to his journalistic efforts.

Joshua   July 6th, 2009 12:56 am ET

How about... spend an entire week of work without using the mouse? Keyboard shortcuts make this possible, but it's surprisingly hard to use them, especially when you're so used to using a mouse.

Geoffrey Bush   July 6th, 2009 3:03 pm ET

Of course, here's a big one you've missed. SeaMonkey. Another browser based on the excellent Mozilla Firefox browser. It allows web developers to have easy, fast access to their editing tools and has built in tools for both email and an IRC client.

John   July 6th, 2009 4:05 pm ET

I have to agree with Lance – this is not torture. This borders on silly.

You sound like my teenage daughter. You've got all this other technology in different form factors the entire week – inconvenience maybe, withdrawal perhaps, torture – puuhhhlease.

Jeff   July 6th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

How about going back to Dial-up connectivity Topher? If you can reduce the speed of your internet connection.

Also a week with one charge of your devices (phone, laptop...etc) See hoe you manage the battery life!

ender   July 7th, 2009 1:02 pm ET

I think John and Lance need to calm down a bit.

It's a play on words nothing more.

As for doing without my BlackBerry? I could if I had to but who ~wants~ to? If you don't use a smart phone (like Bob up above) then you couldn't possibly know how useful they are. If you use one for work, I can deffinitly see why you wouldn't want to be without it.

An interesting experiment Topher.

Ps: I agree with Jeff. Go back to Dial up for a week.

Really?   July 7th, 2009 4:09 pm ET

Oh, Topher. I think perhaps you should have used the word distressed. For example, "I'm DISTRESSED that Bob Hope views himself as normal."

James Retta   July 9th, 2009 12:09 am ET

Its not about what we can do without. Many people in this world live quite simply and live without any electrical appliances for example. That works well for them. For others it is about allowing new technology to make our lives better. Technology is a blessing that should be used to improve this world. People can survive a week without food, so, give me some water, a qwerty keyboard, and a dash of salt, and I'm ready to go!

Ronnie   July 13th, 2009 6:25 pm ET

Dude, your fine, because it's part of your income. Otherwise it (your iPhone) would not be that important, because you really dont appear to be an addict.

Julia Swenson   December 2nd, 2010 4:00 pm ET

Impressive page. When will I get the rest information?

Julia Swenson