SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
August 26, 2009

Twitter parody site requires 1,400 characters

Posted: 10:10 AM ET

Do you need more than 140 characters to express yourself? Are tweets too short to describe that delicious Qdoba burrito you had for lunch? Did the wrap-it-up music cut you off while you were accepting your Oscar?

You may want to consider Woofer. This macro-blogging site offers a Twitter-like interface without any pesky character limits. In fact, your Woof must have at least 1,400 characters before it can be posted.

If you think the 1,400-character minimum is a bit excessive, you are probably right. Woofer admits it is a parody site and not a Twitter competitor:

This is a website for parody purposes only. Twitter neither endorses nor is affiliated with this website or company in any way.

We are huge fans of Twitter, and think it's an amazing concept.

Woofer pulls information from Twitter but does not require a password, so most posts, so far, are celebrity impersonations. Other users are posting copied text to reach the 1,400 mark.

Woofer may not serve any purpose at the moment, but I probably would have felt the same way about Twitter back in 2006. Does this anti-Twitter have a future? Or will this parody be gone tomorrow?

Posted by:
Filed under: Internet • Twitter

leyla   August 26th, 2009 1:10 pm ET

this is great! And perfect for a big mouth like me!

Ed Otto   August 26th, 2009 1:53 pm ET

Wow! And here I thought that Twitter was the dumbest concept that I had ever heard of!

Yet they claim it's NOT a parody site, eh? Could have fooled me...

Eli   August 26th, 2009 6:28 pm ET

Ed, it admits it is a parody site. Apparently, it did fool you.

Cuzzel   August 26th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Ed Otto you didn't read it correctly......They clearly state it is a parody and that they Love twitter

Phil   August 27th, 2009 7:47 am ET

No they claimed it is a parody site.

David   August 27th, 2009 4:19 pm ET

I agree, at least someone is poking fun at Twitter other than the hackers who have been taking that stupid site down. Twitter is a waste of time and this new site shows just how pointless tweeting is.

David   August 27th, 2009 6:55 pm ET

Is this discussion like the Bill Clinton had about the definition of the word "is"?

Ken   August 28th, 2009 7:32 pm ET

I did not have Twits with that woman. I did woof at her though.

SubWoofer   August 29th, 2009 6:15 pm ET

People sending messages about folding laundry or reading TV Guide.
Come on, get real.
Twitter is CLEARLY a parody site.

Shanks   September 4th, 2009 2:21 am ET

Ed, for the last time, it is a parody of twitter.

Squeezebox   September 4th, 2009 1:59 pm ET

WOOF!

Kimberly   September 4th, 2009 10:59 pm ET

Is there another site that allows you to write more - with the same follower framework?

Aaron   September 6th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I always thought that twitter itself was a parody site.

cistopterido   September 9th, 2009 9:07 am ET

Can we use Twitter for educational activities?

Philip   September 9th, 2009 7:23 pm ET

OMG, another site, for real? To the making of web pages there is no end. Next thing you know somebody will make a parody of CNN and call it FOX.

Jason   September 9th, 2009 8:37 pm ET

I'm sorry, you're article is only 196 words. You'll need 1204 more words to qualify for woofer status.

Chris   September 11th, 2009 12:34 pm ET

Jason it's 1400 characters not words. But either way they are still short; only 1134 characters.

Tim Dobson   February 5th, 2010 11:26 am ET

In other news, are you aware of Pokebook? Pokebook.co.uk

It's a facebook parody...🙂

ibrahim   February 2nd, 2011 4:17 pm ET

THE EGYPTIAN SITUATION IN DEPTH VIA EYES OF YOUNG EGYPTIAN MAN
I wanna declare my opinion about the current situation in my country "Egypt" in depth, from different angles.

WHY?I consider this crisis as the asteroid of the last two cabinet economic reforms "Atef Ebeed then Ahmed Nazeef" ,both of them adopted non proper economic reforms which basically is "specialization".
as egyptian young-man,and as my likes,we have a belief that after we finish our education,we join public sector firms and facilities that would hire us,however "specialized" firms and facilities caused TWO BIG PROBLEMS:
1-the new landowners fired the already work force because this workforce arn't qualified that's why the cabinet sold it cause they are overload on the national economy "cause lose"
2-we -young men and fresh graduates- can not find our place in work market we our ed-
ucation didn't prepare us very well to find job in such work market,that's because the public sector was accepting us after graduation with our low skills which we acquired of poor education,and now the private sector has no mercy,I mean I have to re-educate my self with some crash courses "spend more money,that doesn't exist in advance"
Add the two groups above ,1 and 2,you'll be presented by the new graduates and the original force work that didn't reach the 60 years retirement age,I mean approximately the whole workfo-
rce,of cource they adopted the situation but with non reliable solutions,who you find now with their families in Tahreer square,

HOW? "Tahreer square",the people in there are isolated of what is going behind the scene,the majority of them are driven via some nasty power works in the shade to destroy the whole country.most of those demonestrators don't even know .......
let me tell u something just ask anyone of those who holds non-arabic banners to turn it back and rewrite what on it? u'll be surprised, the majority of them will not be able to do so.
an other thing ask any of those protestants :how much is the egyptian national gross? and how much is the suize canal annual revenue? ;do they know ?the majority don't,
in fact some nasty power/s is/are manipulating those people,their dreams using their ignorance,illiteracy and their longing for better life via fake numbers and fake facts,for example they claim that if the egyptian wealth shared fairly amongst egyptians then anyone's share would be 3000 dollars a month.moreover some of them are rentals !,no surprise
,the muslim brotherhood members in my village are no longer here the went to Tahreer square to join the demonstrations on 29th of last January,news flew from there that everyone gets 200 egy pounds per day....

THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD has deep disagrement with Mubarak since he refused their demand to address islamic party which would drive cop- tics to declare their own party and believe me this would lead to blood path.
with the current regime:the muslim brotherhood is banned,however ,if they reached to the leadership and regardless their ideas,what will be the characteristics and ideas of any banned group that time? simply a pure terroristic brotherhood .

FACT,Egypt is a poor country,the main bet I mean trick is on money, and how egypt is very rich country,Egypt is the biggest wheat importer across the world "bigger than the whole euro union",our National Gross compromises 69% as loan.
egypt depends a lot on outer help and aids,and none of those who manipulate them for the sake of their own ambitions will add much more.

FACT,Mubarak declared frankly 4 years ago in some conference -I can't remember it- that "Gamal -his son- will not be the next president of Egypt"

I believe that if any other leader jumped to the chair,no real reforms would happen at all,and these demonstrations will not occur even in long term,it will suppressed horribly,I believe non of the opposition has the ability,skill or experience to lead such axial and problematic country,even my respect to Mohammed Al Baradie has vanished since he shown suddenly
trying to jump on others shoulders.

I was anti-Mubarak till his word on the first of february ,just give the guy the 9 month,I do really
see near constitutional reforms with only Mubarak ,moreover first and foremost he is the hero of war and peace, and doesn't deserve this.

VEGetariANOS   August 3rd, 2011 11:56 pm ET

The idea is very usefull. when I have something big to share in Tweeter I do it before in Woofer and after I send a link to Twitter. The idea is to keep the link to share it on the web.
Congratulations.

Halit   March 31st, 2012 10:26 pm ET

on مهر ۱۷, ۱۳۹۰ Can see why ben Davies stuck out at notts county. Any other team he would be in the rzziees every week but to them he was like Lionel messi

Leave Your Comment