SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
October 28, 2009

Netflix movies come to your PlayStation

Posted: 11:46 AM ET

Netflix and the PlayStation 3 gaming console have joined forces to allow movies and TV episodes from Netflix to be streamed free of charge through Sony’s entertainment system.

While Netflix movies can also be streamed through the Xbox 360, it requires a gold account with Microsoft at a cost of $49.99 per year. This new deal with the PS3 requires no additional charges and is available to all PS3 users.

“Our goal is to rapidly expand the devices that stream to our members,” Netflix CEO and co-founder Reed Hastings said. Netflix claims it has 11.1 million U.S. subscribers.

Sony says it has sold close to 9 million units of the PS3 system in the United States. A free Blu-ray disc from Netflix is required to download and watch the movies and is expected to be available next month.

“The PlayStation 3 system has always been about more than just gaming,” said Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America. “Whether you want to watch content on Blu-ray disc and DVD, download it from the PlayStation Network’s video delivery service, or stream videos instantly from Netflix, the PS3 system is the only solution that offers it all.”

Last week, a Microsoft spokesperson said the company has no plans to introduce a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360.

- Larry Frum

Filed under: Movies • video games

Adrian   October 28th, 2009 12:14 pm ET

I can't wait!!!!!!

Chris Anderson   October 28th, 2009 1:07 pm ET

C'mon now...nothing in this world is FREE. I would imagine that you still have to be a Netflix subscriber in order to partake in this feature.

Hence the NOT FREE part, paying a monthly fee to Netflix.

Oh well.

John Huynh   October 28th, 2009 1:59 pm ET

http://www.netflix.com/NRDInfo/PS3 – Source

Well Chris, you are thinking wrong.
Its 8.99$ a month for the PS3.
I'm guessing that once you subscribe to this, NetFlix will send you DVD's though the mail Blu-ray of course, to watch your movies, OR you can download it online via PlayStation Online Store I'm guessing. And if you do download it online, I think Sony is saying that it is required that you have to get a disk from NetFlix and it is free so you can watch your Blu-Ray vids.

Luke   October 28th, 2009 2:42 pm ET

Wait, say that again, John. So you will still hve to subscribe to NEtfilx or just by the disc for the console?

And I hear that disc is onlyh necc until early next year when the new PS3's have it built in.

So, pay the monthly fee or no?

Just asking.

PS What is the definition going to be? Cause if it is not 1080p/bluray then why bother?

D   October 28th, 2009 2:43 pm ET

Streaming Netflix on Xbox360 is one of my favorite things ever, but requiring a Gold account to use it is bull (I've since canceled my Gold membership and opted for a Laptop with HDMI)

I don't understand the need for the disc though. If it is just an install disc, why not just push the package directly to the PS3?
Worst case, it is required for each use..it'd be painful swapping a special Netflix disc and games each time. I alternate game playing/Netflix watching quite a bit and that would be a problem.

David   October 28th, 2009 2:46 pm ET

Chris, do you honestly think the Sony and NetFlix would be announcing a way to commit copyright infringement by announcing a free service to pirate movies? Of course it requires a monthly NetFlix service but there is no additional cost over the NetFlix monthly fee. You could aways go XBox and pay their $49.99 fee PLUS the NetFlix monthly fee, somehow I think the inconvenience of inserting a "netflix" disc to play the streaming movies is something I can live with.

Chris   October 28th, 2009 4:03 pm ET

regardless of if you use the xbox or ps3 you have to pay the subscription fee as part of netflix. however if using the xbox you have to pay an additional fee to use the xbox live network which you have to use to view netflix.

access to the ps3 network for online gaming and soon to be netflix is free. so xbox can never beat that.

cant wait for this!

Taco Guy   October 28th, 2009 4:09 pm ET

Its good to see that Netflix isnt taking sides in the war between Sony and Microsoft. The more services we have for our consoles the better.

Medina Mike   October 28th, 2009 4:15 pm ET

I may go out this Christmas and get a unit!!!!!
I belong to NetFlix all ready so why NOT use it to it's MAX!!!

Big Papa   October 28th, 2009 6:59 pm ET

What's the big deal? There are tons of devices already that stream Netflix besides X-Box. And if you use X-Box Live for online gaming already then it's no big deal. Besides if someone gave me a PS3 I'd probably toss it out the window anyways. Sony hasn't made a quality product in years.

Buck   October 28th, 2009 8:31 pm ET

Well you can already stream Netflix movies to the PC you're reading this on now, and there are also Netflix streaming devices like Roku (under $100) which will stream the Netflix movies.

So, its great if you already have Netflix and already have a PS3 (or were planning on getting one or the other anyway). It would be crazy to buy a PS3 solely for this purpose though.

Also the Netflix streaming quality is dependent on your bandwidth, so if you have standard broadband, the quality is probably not what you're used to from a standard DVD.

Also, the entire Netflix library is not available.. I'd say maybe 20% of the total discs you can rent can be streamed.

That said, Netflix rocks, I've been a member since 2002. I would continue to pay the monthly fee for the DVD rentals alone, so being able to stream them is great for anyone that wants to use their PC or console as an extra movie watching device.

FaustX   October 29th, 2009 3:24 am ET

Ok, so will this be available outside the US...how about Canada?

Matt   October 29th, 2009 12:35 pm ET

Obviously you still need a Netflix subscription to access movies.

GXR2009   October 29th, 2009 1:00 pm ET

There are limitations on what movies can be streamed. You cannot choose just any movie from the Netflix catalog. The selection is limited. Also, few movies are streamed in HD.

Cali Sal   October 29th, 2009 2:20 pm ET

FYI, I already have this for on Xbox 360 and it's not all it's cracked up to be. The movies avaliable to stream are either horrible or old. I don't know if netflix has any intention of posting new releases on the "Watch Now" list but as of now I rarely use this feature. The exception is TV shows, I've watched the first season of Californication and all of Dead Like Me series.

Just to confirm, you DO need a netflix subscription and the you can't get the cheapest plan. Plan cost me $10.99 I think.

RonnieB   October 29th, 2009 8:11 pm ET

Netflix is posting $8.99 per month for this service on their website. The Free Blu-ray disk is probably the software to install the software directly from Nexflix. They would have to send you the software at first because it requires a monthly subscription and therefore would not be available from the PSStore. Although I would expect that after the start of the program, they may develop a web portal specifically for PS3 users so you can download software/updates and additional content.

chris reed   October 30th, 2009 11:52 am ET

dude...u guys should make ps3 have like its own computer n it that talks to you.but heelll yea.netflix movies.haha.lol.nice

Zoran   October 30th, 2009 4:37 pm ET

you need to go to http://www.netflix.com/ps3 to reserve your disc to be sent to you.

neodelrio   October 31st, 2009 11:14 pm ET

Friggin Sweet!!! Of couse you will still need Netflix membership (duh), much better than watching on my little computer screen...

CF   November 1st, 2009 3:11 pm ET

Cool, but I have generally had a better experience with Xbox Live. PSN is not as reliable and has a lot slower download speeds. I'll keep using my 360.

Chris   November 2nd, 2009 11:02 pm ET

Who would actually think that you don't have to pay for Netflix? Netflix working on your PS3 or Xbox is just another method of delivering the service. There's nothing else to say.

Jared   November 3rd, 2009 10:47 pm ET

woohoo.. i can not wait.. the 360 will soon be the next atari!

Mary   November 4th, 2009 12:05 am ET

I have the Roku and stream to my computer as well as receive disks from Netflix. Do any of the other devices offer closed captions? Roku does not, nor does streaming to the computer. Once that problem is solved I would definitely upgrade to a device that streams both video and captions.

jeo   November 5th, 2009 10:45 am ET

@Chris Anderson

They didn't say it was free. They said it's not an ADDITIONAL charge. Of course you have to have a Netflix subscription to use Netflix. But currently, in order to do this on the XBOX, you have to have a Netflix subscription AND a Microsoft Gold Account – which means you're paying for your Netflix PLUS $49.99 per year to Microsoft as a separate charge.

What this is saying is that you don't have to pay anything in addition to your Netflix subscription to be able to watch it on the PS3. It's not "free" and never claimed to be, it's just $50/year cheaper than Microsoft.

Tony   November 5th, 2009 12:25 pm ET

I have the Roku player, too, and it is awesome. I'll definitely check out the PS3 functionality for Netflix streaming as it may be good not to have to switch inputs.

Sony made a risky move releasing the PS3 a few years ago that was so much more expensive than the competition, but I think it will pay off now that they have a competitive price point and a clearly more powerful gaming platform.

I don't understand the guy that said Sony hasn't released a quality product in years and that he would throw a PS3 out the window if someone gave him one. The 360 has a failure rate several times higher the PS3 and all the tech specs are lower on a 360. That's like saying you'd trash a free Mercedes to hang on to your Ford Focus. Why not keep them both and keep the 360 for the exclusive titles? The new PS3 titles are already starting to surpass the 360's now because of the extra power headroom that is only now beginning to be used in the PS3.

Matt   November 5th, 2009 5:35 pm ET

360 is just getting facebook (meh), Twitter (meh) and Last.FM (awesome!). So as far as I'm concerned PS3 is still behind on their game... And yeah, Netflix on demand has a fairly crappy selection, but if you're already a member its cool.

Congrats PS3 fanboys, welcome to the club...

Ravel Anderson   November 5th, 2009 6:35 pm ET

Hello, I am Ravel Anderson, and I'm from Fortaleza – Ceará – Brazil.
I found this great idea. Too bad the service does not come to Brazil

Ken   November 5th, 2009 6:52 pm ET

When this begins, why would anyone pay for premium cable? In fact, I might just dump my cable all together.

Dwayne Moore   November 5th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

I like Netflix on the Xbox 360. I do agree, nothing in this world is for free. Remember, it was the 360 that Netflix partnered with first. I watch movies on the 360 all the time, and Netflix it great. Haven't rented a movie from Blockbuster since 2004. Of course, when streaming the movies, you need an internet connection, and a fast one at that. The PS3 might be the console that has it all, but it was the 360, when it came to Netflix, that started it all.

RB   November 6th, 2009 1:21 am ET

Getting my disc tomorrow! I'm already a Netflix subscriber, so although not "free" it is still at no additional charge. I'll have to see what the quality is like, but I'm assuming the same as a PC.

Spankbank   November 6th, 2009 10:43 am ET

ummmmmm genius, of course it's going to require a Netflix account. Exactly how cheap are you?

DJ   November 7th, 2009 7:16 pm ET

I tried this out and it ROCKS!! It took all of 1 minute to put the disc in the PS3, activate it on my Netflix page and then BADABOOM all my View Instantly queue was right there on the PS3.

The video quality is AWESOME (compared to CRAP on the PC) and many of the titles are in HD.

Unlike certain ON Demand CRAP, the movies are UNCENSORED and do NOT HAVE COMMERCIALS.

As well, there are way more movies than cable, and they are not all 1 star movies like you get on demand.

gamEr   February 5th, 2010 5:45 pm ET

well this is a shock to me i just got done watching a movie on the ps2. and then i got a call from my bro. and said that the movie i just watched is on Blu-ray and i told him that i just finished. what a waste of those hours of watching on my ps2

Payton Butler   May 5th, 2010 7:28 am ET

Playstation is the best gaming console that i have owned. Me and my brother are addicted in playing games on Playstation..~*

find escorts   August 31st, 2010 9:30 pm ET

Rather nice site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Bella Benedict

Nachrichten im netz   September 26th, 2011 8:55 am ET

Extra top Deutsche geschichten im netz.

krone   June 29th, 2012 1:20 am ET

Very cool blog post – thank you!

Keith Demeritte   April 15th, 2013 9:49 pm ET

The days of hopping into the car and driving to the video store to pick out a DVD to watch seem to be coming to a close for many people. Just as with many other aspects of life, watching movies has moved into the online world and lots of online movie watchers wouldn't have it any other way. There is certainly a sense of nostalgia in going the video store route for many people, but the reasons to watch movies online just seem to keep piling up..

Our online site

Matthew   May 2nd, 2015 3:46 pm ET

I've been streaming Netflix for years through a PS3 without needing a disc. Is this just for DVD only rentals?

Leave Your Comment