SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
November 10, 2009

'God of War' comes to the PS3

Posted: 01:44 PM ET

When the Sony PlayStation 3 arrived on the scene, many users of the PS and PS2 wanted backward compatibility – the ability to play older games on the new console.

While Sony accommodated these players for a while, newer versions of the PS3 decided to drop backward compatibility. The move forced many users to hang on to their old consoles (and pray they didn’t break) to play the classic games they loved.

Sony has solved this problem with arguably one of the best series to come out for PlayStation: “God of War.” Starting November 17, the “God of War” collection (“God of War” and “God of War II”) will be re-mastered and available on Blu-ray disc for the PS3.

“God of War” features Kratos, a Spartan warrior, as he seeks revenge against the Greek gods who betrayed him. In the first two offerings, Kratos battles Ares, the God of War, and travels through Hades itself in an effort to free himself from the Gods’ reach.

A Sony spokesperson said the critically-acclaimed games will remain the same, but PlayStation Network trophies will be available to give users new goals to aim for during gameplay. Both games will be on one disc, but will play separately.

“God of War III”, a PS3 exclusive, also will make use of the trophy system and is scheduled to be released in March 2010. An “ultimate” version of the game, complete with an assortment of exclusive collectible and digital content encased in a sculpted replica of Pandora’s Box, will be available with pre-orders.

Buyers of "God of War III" also will receive a full-length movie documentary depicting the history of the franchise, game-inspired downloadable music and access to the Combat Arena, which contains an exclusive environment and up to seven unique challenges.

- Larry Frum, for CNN

Filed under: video games

Raptorman   November 11th, 2009 12:51 pm ET

This doesn't solve the problem! So I have to go and buy another copy of God of War in order to play it? Guess what. I already own a copy on ps2 that I paid for. PS3 fail...

Gus. C   November 11th, 2009 2:00 pm ET

They should've mentioned that it's running in 720P, with anti-aliasing at 60 frames per second.

Reybeast   November 11th, 2009 2:32 pm ET

Stop whining, you get both games in a higher frame rate and it will look better! I can't wait!

DJ   November 12th, 2009 12:39 am ET

Sorry, no way in heck I'm paying for the PS3 unless they provide backward compatability. Buy another copy of a game I already own? Whatever. No wonder they are losing the console wars.

Franko   November 12th, 2009 6:38 am ET

Cash for obsolete game consoles

j   November 12th, 2009 11:24 am ET

At least with the ps3 you dont have to worry about about the rrod
and how much do you 360 fans pay a month to get online? I agree with Reybeast quit whining you get a higher framerate blu-ray and 720p whaa whaa whaaa

Jonathan Rowson   November 12th, 2009 3:33 pm ET

I agree, PS3 Fail for those who already own, but I'm not one of the fortunate ones to have played GOW 1 or 2 on the PS2, so I'll be in line for this one! My first introduction to Kratos was on the PSP (and to a lesser extent in Little Big Planet😎

Jack   November 12th, 2009 8:26 pm ET

Glad I have a 60gb backwards compatible PS3. 🙂

tim   November 13th, 2009 1:03 am ET

some of us aren't gaming dorks like you guys, who actually have lives and dont bitch about this. i've beaten god of war but don't own any copies. therefore this is a great move, dorks

C Monkey   November 13th, 2009 8:46 am ET

This is a great game. Xbox people get out of here, because you can't play it anyway and that's why you cry. In the next year the PS3 will separate itself from the xbox with its raw power. It is quite a bit more powerful than an Xbox360 and the Blu-ray holds almost ten times as much storage as an Xbox360 disc.

b`   November 15th, 2009 2:14 pm ET

Just picked up a copy of GOW2 for ps2, I paid a whopping $2.39 for it. Glad i kept the ps2. Thinking about picking up a ps3 soon, but is $7 a month really that much for xbox live? People pay like $15 for WOW, or other online games, I know free would be better, but I like the xbox game selection better, and the online play is better to me.

B   November 15th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

This isn't good enough. The PS 3 costs $100 more than the xbox360 which is backwards compatible and reselling games people already own on the PS2 on a PS3 disc won't make many people happy unless they are buying these games for the first time or have the money to burn on a newer shinier version of the same game. This is a poor strategy and would be unnecessary if they would just offer a backwards compatible PS3 again.

Mikey   November 16th, 2009 10:46 am ET

I have a PS2 and an Xbox 360. If the PS3 was backwards compatible I would never have bought the 360. Having played the PS2 for almost 10 years it's not worth getting a PS3 unless I can play 1 of the 50 games I have for the PS2 system. Come on Playstation.

Justin   November 16th, 2009 11:48 am ET

Ridiculous. I purchased the original God of War for the PS2.

Then, Sony decides to drop support for backwards compatibility on the ps3 (or at least the version of ps3 I have will never support backwards compatibility). But hey, Sony is only interested in maximizing profits. Might as well add some bells and whistles to old games and then charge prices as if they were 'new'.

Now if I want to play the game on my ps3 I get to buy the game again!

What a great deal!

Flames8889   November 16th, 2009 5:46 pm ET

I own both PS3 and 360, and I am a hardcore PS3 fan. While I think it's cool that there will be revamped versions of the first two GOW games for PS3, I don't understand the logic in preventing people from playing their old PS2 games.

The last time I checked, if it wasn't for the popularity of the PS1 and PS2, there would not be a PS3. So why should people be punished for owning PS2 games?

I love you Sony, but you screwed up on this one. Games aren't cheap. We should have the ability to play our older games on the PS3.

Matt   November 16th, 2009 6:14 pm ET

I understand grumbling from current owners of systems that don't have backwards compatibility, but to be honest, my PS3 is capable and yet I haven't played a PS2 game in years. There are just too many fun titles on the PS3 for me to really want to go back and play anything on the PS2. Now, the new God of War pack is priced at $40, which isn't bad for two amazing games that have been remastered and have added trophies. I think Sony did the right thing by removing the hardware for BC and were thus able to cut the cost of the system for consumers. For anyone who doesn't want to buy a PS3 that isn't BC, really ask yourself that once you have access to...Uncharted, LBP, Resistance, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, FF, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, COD, Assassins Creed, Dead Space, Heavenly Sword, and so on...are you really going to want to go back and play all those PS2 titles you've probably already beaten a few times...doubtful. Trust me, this system is head and shoulders above the fragile, aging Xbox 360.

Bob   November 16th, 2009 6:44 pm ET

If you already have it on PS2, then just play it on PS2. Some people just have to whine about something.

Tim   November 16th, 2009 11:58 pm ET

I'm a loyal 360 owner who loved playing GOW 1&2 on my roommate's PS2. This repackaging actually may entice me to buy a PS3 of my own to play the new versions along with GOW 3. That being said, I realize I represent a very small niche of gamers who can totally benefit from this strategy, but hey, at least there's SOMEBODY.

Taco Guy   November 17th, 2009 11:30 am ET

All of you whining about backwards compatibility: Is it really that hard to take out your PS2 every now and then?

Though there are rumors that Sony is working on a complete PS2 emulator so we may be seeing BC in a future PS3 model...hopefully.

Michael S.   November 17th, 2009 12:39 pm ET

I wouldn't buy these games again untill the PS2 both breaks and a replacement unit became too pricy. Now, Sony and Square Enix colaborating to revamp the entire Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series, then its on, I would love to have them remarketed.

jack   November 17th, 2009 5:17 pm ET

Give it a rest about not being backwards compatible ps2 games suck anyway who plays that crap unless ur poor. If I want to play ps2 games then ill buy a brand new 1 for 60 whole dollars

elizabether   November 17th, 2009 11:47 pm ET

Glad I have a 500Gb backwards compatible PS3.🙂

Greg   November 18th, 2009 9:42 pm ET

Oh be quiet – you're all gaming dorks just by virtue of the fact that you read the article and posted here. Oh wait, that includes me too now...

Andre 3000   November 19th, 2009 12:56 am ET

If your so unhappy that your ps3 isn't backwards compatible you should have bought the one that was. They are not loosing the console war due to the fact that blu-ray buried hd-dvds., hence that Microsoft is loosing the war. Graphics are better, the Playstation Network is free, and blu-ray will soon make dvds obsolete just like dvds erased VHS. Not to mention that Sony didn't have to recall hundreds of thousands of their consoles due to hardware failure. Besides why would you want to play the original in 480p when you can play it in 720p.

mike   November 19th, 2009 2:53 pm ET

Blu ray is a dying technology, still to this date no enoght people have/care about it to win.

Who cares about 25+GB disks when tje movie is only no more than 7GB?

And the PS3 does not have supperior graphics, both are HD which is the same as blu-ray; blu ray just being a big disk.

Judas, Olympia, WA   November 19th, 2009 6:05 pm ET

What? Nobody bought an old favorite they owned on vhs for the dvd format?

Good for sony. GOW is a great franchise. I applaud the re-release on Blue ray.

For those that don't like it. its pretty clear.....Don't buy it and STFU.

Chris   November 20th, 2009 2:11 pm ET

Glad i have my 60 gb ps3 which has the reverse compatible engine in it

Jim Herndon   November 22nd, 2009 4:06 pm ET

I agree that backwards compatibility is a PS3 fail. Sony built the expectation of backwards compatibility with the PS2 supporting PS1 games. It was one of the reasons for the PS2's enormous success.

Now they have the most expensive console they've ever released (PS3), and most of the consoles don't have backwards compatibility. The problem is exacerbated by the expense – when someone pays $300-$600 for a console, they don't want to have to pay another $50-$70 for a game they already have (like God of War). With Sony having supported backwards compatibility before – they expect BC now when they're shelling out more money than ever before.

It's like Sony is trying to make it tough to love the PS3. They're eroding their loyalty base.

Adam (From Chicago)   November 27th, 2009 3:23 pm ET

Wow...tense bunch of peeps. I am a ps3 slim owner now after owning the 360 for two years and having it die twice. End of story...no flaming...just the facts.

I NEVER played GoW 1 or 2. Saw the trailer for GoW 3 and was FLOORED at how incredible the concept was. Then like a month later I see that they are re-releasing GoW 1 and 2 with updated graphics and framerate...for about $40.

This duo-game was made for me. I could not possibly be happier and ordered it for $37 through Amazon today.

As to backwards capability? I never owned a ps2. When I had a 360 I played exactly ONE regular Xbox game on it because a bud gave it to me for free. If it wasn't free...I'd never play a reg. Xbox title on the 360.

Feel the same way about ps2 games. If I wanted one...I had ten years to buy one...and I did not.

gamEr   February 5th, 2010 5:40 pm ET

well i finally got word of the new god of war really i got the demo and it roxs i mean its the same as the others. game 1 2 3 chain of olmpics. only problem is i died just a few minutes in the game

Leave Your Comment