SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
November 11, 2009

Wi-Fi scale tweets your weight loss (or gain)

Posted: 12:29 PM ET

A new WiFi-enabled scale from Withings encourages users to lose weight by sharing their body weight, lean & fat mass, and calculated body mass index (BMI) on Twitter.

WiFi scale shares results with Twitter.
WiFi scale shares results with Twitter.

Personal metrics have been shown to help people reach their fitness goals. And Wired.com recognizes new devices like the Nike+ can get people moving.

Noone is now running four times a week and just did her first 10-mile race ... And she attributes much of her newfound fitness to the power of data. "I can log in to Nike+ and see what I've done over the past year," she says. "That's really powerful for me."

But will sharing embarrassing weight-fluctuation info help dieters in the same way fitness data has encouraged runners?

A press release from Withings confirms that the scale will not share your information without your consent. "By default, the Twitter feature will not be activated when you purchase your scale ... Only the users that enable this feature will benefit from the online peer motivation."

Engadget is not impressed with the scale's social abilities:

Not only does this bad boy register your weight, body fat, and BMI, but you can now configure it to send your stats to "the Twitter" either daily, weekly, monthly, or each and every time you weigh - and your followers will start dropping faster than even you could imagine.

What do you think? Would you be willing to share your weight-loss struggle with the Twitterverse if it could inspire you to become the next Biggest Loser? Or is this one Fail Whale you would prefer to keep private?

Posted by:
Filed under: consumer tech • Internet • iPhone • social-networking sites • Twitter

Justin   November 11th, 2009 3:20 pm ET

How stupid. Instead of having it go to some personal health record for individuals to track their own progress, it goes to a social media utility? Talk about doing things just for the sake of doing things.

Smarter than the average Bear   November 11th, 2009 7:10 pm ET

Is this a piece of technology aimed by marketers to people who are to lazy to key in the information themselves?

Franko   November 12th, 2009 6:34 am ET

Not going to get the next Nobel Peace Prize
Cannot measure your Carbon Footprint and advise Carbon tax agencies

Full disclosure... I own this scale!   November 12th, 2009 10:27 am ET

I saw this article and I just had to comment. Justin, the scale does post to your own private site. I check my progress weekly and have 1 months worth of charts to prove it. :) It's a great tool for me since I'm trying to loose 100 lbs... (50 down, 50 more to go!). Don't think I'll be enabling the Twitter thing though... that's def not for me.

Loraine Antrim   November 12th, 2009 7:19 pm ET

The message here is that only the numbers matter. FIrst, it's was how many are following you on Twitter (how can we possibly compete with Ashton!?). Now, your pounds coming on or off are public commodities to be traded in 140 characters.

So the ultimate question is: will we be restricted to only 140 lbs???

Scott   November 15th, 2009 2:56 pm ET

Considerate gift Fail.

Meena   November 19th, 2009 12:49 pm ET

This is not for lazy people or those wanting to drop followers, but is for people who care about their health and love stats. I like this technology. Who cares about the Twitter function it comes with, the rest of it .... is sweet.

Pat   December 1st, 2009 2:32 pm ET

Will it tweet your weight to your Healthcare Provider so he can DROP YOU? Listen most people don't need a scale to know they are overweight. Another dumb Technology Product.

Sara Foster   April 30th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Exercise and strict dieting can do magic if you are trying to lose weight. I did a lot of cardio just to lose weight.'`*

Jason Smith of Obesity Terminator   June 9th, 2010 12:09 am ET

Great site!

Ever wonder why you start panting after climbing even only 10 steps of the stairs? Tired of looking for the right size of clothing to fit your body? Or worse, do you always get people to notice you, yet at the same time discriminate you?

Terrible as they may seem, but these are just some of the countless bad effects of obesity.

It's true…

Take it from me because I have been there. And it wasn't fun – even just bringing it back to mind can be so frustrating.

But I didn't lose hope. I made an extra effort to study what causes obesity and how it can be treated. Thus, I alloted enough time to perform what I have learned.

And now, I have achieved the perfect body weight and figure I have always wanted.

Like me, I'm sure you can do it.

Emma Johnson   August 21st, 2010 2:45 pm ET

weight loss is easy to achieve if you just do some heavy workouts and a strict diet`*~

Chair Pads    October 14th, 2010 4:23 am ET

weight loss may not be easy for those people with very slow metabolism,,:

Maurkice Pouncey Jersey   August 8th, 2011 5:57 pm ET

Reebok Pittsburgh Steelers #34 Rashard Mendenhall Realtree Collection Camouflage Super Bowl XLV Replica Jersey

http://howtolosefatandburnfat.com   September 20th, 2011 11:51 am ET

Great blog you have here but I was curious if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Many thanks!

nike mercurial vapor iii   September 22nd, 2011 2:55 am ET

I believe you have mentioned some very interesting details , regards for the post.

Matthew Stafford Jersey   October 17th, 2011 5:13 am ET

Thanks for sharing. A real lot of useful info here!

Dicky   September 9th, 2012 12:59 am ET

I know the extended verosin isn't coming out until December. Kind of a long time to wait, no? Maybe they'll have some sort of boxed set for all the movies.

final phase fat loss   July 3rd, 2013 5:39 pm ET

Always remember that delay in starting your Final Phase Fat Loss regime.
Moreover, 79% of women, and some say that it is a good idea to use fasting as a method of final phase fat loss for women.
Whole-grain crackers, dried fruit and crisp baby carrots are perfect foods for a healthy final
phase fat loss and weight gain. The qualifications of Indian obesity surgeons include a Master of
Surgery degree in General Surgery, active participation in International Fellowship
and Global Training Programs, MCH in Obesity Surgery coupled with wide