SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
November 17, 2009

Status update: Dude, I'm shredding this video game

Posted: 10:57 AM ET

UPDATE 2:13 p.m. ET: Facebook also will be accessible through the PlayStation 3 after the console's next firmware update. According to a posting on the PlayStation blog, PS3 users will have the option of automatically updating Facebook news feeds with trophy and PlayStation store activity. There is no announced date for the firmware release.

In an effort to blur the line between gaming and social networks, owners of Xbox 360s will have the chance to bash zombies and then post Facebook updates about it without leaving their consoles.

Microsoft announced that several social media and audio/video services can be accessed through the Xbox 360, starting today. The new features will be part of an automatic update, so when users turn on their consoles and the update kicks in, all the features will be ready for use. Most of the services are limited to Gold members, but a few are available to Silver members.

Facebook and Twitter have signed up to allow connectivity through Xbox LIVE directly from the console. All current features of the social networks will be available, and gamers will be able to share their favorite gaming moments (in supported games) with their friends.

In addition to watching movies from Netflix, as part of a previous deal, Xbox users also will be able to stream high-definition video through the Zune media player - coincidentally, also made by Microsoft. The Zune Marketplace, which includes the Zune Video player, is available to Silver members.

Also, as of today Last.fm joins with the new Xbox LIVE music channel, allowing for access to streaming music directly from the Xbox 360. The updated music channel lets users listen to personal recommendations from Last.fm’s dedicated menu on the console’s dashboard.

All Xbox users will be able to check out the new features during a “Free Gold Weekend” Friday, November 20 through Monday, November 23. Silver members will be able to try out everything that comes with Gold membership, including Facebook, Twitter and Last.fm.

Posted by:
Filed under: Microsoft Corp. • video games

J Gray   November 17th, 2009 2:23 pm ET

Thats Cool I guess. Only thing i would be see using is Last.Fm

Ryan   November 18th, 2009 6:23 am ET

omg it is so cool!!!!!
if u dont think it is cool u guys are so noob!!

Casmoe   November 18th, 2009 7:02 am ET

Funny how PS3 wants to follow in Xbox360 footsteps. I thought they were suppose to be 5 steps of every console, yet they end up not being! Xbox360 has always had the best interface, flow and dashboard with great features.

Danny   November 18th, 2009 2:06 pm ET

All current features of the social networks ARE NOT available. You cannot see what Facebook friends are online, see any content, delete posts, delete tweets, etc. really all you can do is update your status, read friends posts and look at photos. The update was released 2 weeks ago for testing purposes for selected users to provide feedback. When feedback was provided about these missing features, they replied "By Design" which essentially means they aren't going to take the time to add the features and really don't care about the experience users have.

Kalapathan   November 19th, 2009 8:16 am ET

I think the firmware just came out today November 19, 2009.

Mobius   November 19th, 2009 8:33 am ET

And we wonder why we have medicated, over-stimulated children nowadays.

NP   November 19th, 2009 9:59 am ET

Sweet, I hope I'll be able to sync my last.fm profile with my live account.

specter   November 19th, 2009 12:09 pm ET

Xbox rules long live bill gates

poor man   November 19th, 2009 4:18 pm ET

Whatever Im poor forget about it T^T

Joe Mama   November 19th, 2009 6:51 pm ET

Casmoe,

PS3 is leading the way in innovation. 1st with the Blu-ray! How is that HD DVD thing working out for you? LOL

Free Network play with built in wireless adapter. How much did your adapter cost? LOL

As for following footsteps the 260 is slowly becoming the Wii (Mii Avatar rip offs, and motion detector gameplay?). oh well I guess it makes sense though since only kids play 360. Real gamers play PS3.

Now hurry home you are late for dinner.

paradigmfellow   November 19th, 2009 8:18 pm ET

I might as well get a PS3 since I don't have to pay extra for something that should be FREE!!!

pwnerer   November 21st, 2009 4:17 am ET

I will say, having owned a wii, ps3, and xbox 360 that the ps3 has always won out. I can watch my BluRay movies, stream netflix, play Fallout 3 (ok, so the PC version is way better... blah blah...), use the free wireless network adapter, etc etc etc. Sure, i love the Wii family games i can play with my wife, and the XBox has HALO... and thats about it thats more exciting than PS3.

All the consoles have their strong point, but with PS3 i get BluRay AND a great game console..

sorry guys... i will still admit short of a PC (the superiour gaming device) that the PS3 is tops...

agrownup   November 22nd, 2009 8:58 am ET

Wow, I can't believe this arguement is still going on... Sure, PS3 did lead the way with a blue-ray player... It's just to bad that it was the cheapest freakin one they could put in a unit and it blows worse than your mom... Yeah, Xbox tried the HD DVD, so they backed the wrong horse... No biggie, they're dealing with it...

The free network play and built in wireless, ok you got me there... But of course, any nutjob with some simple tech skills doesn't have to pay to hook up wireless to their 360, so that didn't cost me anything... I don't mind paying for the network play...

As for the 360 following the Wii, that is wrong... Sure they did the avatar thing, but isn't PS3 doing that as well? They each have their own specifics to their avatars, so everyone is ripping off from everyone else in this category...

As for you being a real gamer, just cuz you spent your entire hard earned paycheck on a PS3 instead, doesn't make you a real gamer and doesn't make you a grown up...

Modest Philanthropist   November 23rd, 2009 11:12 am ET

1. I have both a 360 and a PS3
2. The interface on the 360 is better
3. The online gaming community on 360 is better
4. The versatility of the 360 exceeds that of the PS3, integrating my PC media with my 360 as a "hub" for all my entertainment
5. The controller for the 360 won't freeze up on you at a critical moment...

Sam   November 26th, 2009 11:46 am ET

I have to agree with Modest Philanthropist, i also have both the 360 and the PS3. The network you may have to pay for, but the community is by far better and its easier to access your friends and messages.

360 = win

BIG BOSS   November 28th, 2009 6:13 am ET

I have had both systems the 360 & PS3 they each
have their strong points, however my PS3 didn't die 6 months after purchasing it... The fact I didn't have to pay for online gaming was a big bonus and I also can surf the web at any time, with the 360 it doesn't have web capabilities, and I also had to pay $50 bucks for a year to listen to a bunch of whinners saying "that doesn't count! " does not appeal to me. Granted the 360 had the movie downloads first , but once again I had to pay $50 just to get online and pay more just to download the movies- "boo" I say ! I also have the orignal 60gb PS3 where I can install Yellow Dog Linux if I so choose to."So there!"
In closing my opinon is that the PS3 is the superiour gaming device , the superiour entertaiment device, the superiour does everything device

mrselfdestruct   November 28th, 2009 2:17 pm ET

I to have bothe PS3(mrselfdestruct31) and 360(suicideking43) as well, however PS3 is a much better option when it comes to down to features over xbox3sissy.
1. Wi-Fi built in
2. Free online gaming
3. Built in web browser
4. Wireless controllers
5. Quieter system
6. No rrod
7. Blu-Ray
8. Built in HDMI
9. Cheap memory upgrade (my 350 gb ps3 slim says hello)
10. Full PS3 and PSP game downloads
7. Much better exclusive line up. LittleBig Planet, GOW3, Heavy Rain, White Knight Chronicles, FFXIV, GT5, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, The Last Guardian, and the list just goes on and on. If you love games you simply gotta love PS3.

Haru   November 30th, 2009 3:15 pm ET

To be honest I think its just not worth it. I will be to focused on the game to realy care what people will have to think about it.

Johann Tetreault   December 5th, 2009 8:20 am ET

No offense but really?
Its a work in progress.
Rome was not built in a day but in hundreds, and now thousands of years, and Rome still sucks.
If you were to imagine Playstation 3 as a version of Rome. it would be as its legend a cave, and just starting, while The Xbox360 as a version of Rome would be Now, big, modern, with a terrible infastructure, but better than any other version of Rome (modern toilets). The WII is not in this figure at all as the WII is not a video game machine, but a paper weight.

Chuck   December 11th, 2009 1:16 pm ET

Enough console wars you console players... this is CNN, go duke this out on youtube. I honeltly love looking at the false fact and unsupported arguments console players pull out of there A__ to justify there system. The PS3 and the 360 are VERY close when it comes to system specs. PS3: Fanboy's – the cell isn't an 8 core processor, it's a single core with 7 SLE's, quite slow actually, the system also only has 550 Mb of RAM and a 550 Mhz graphics processor. sad. Xbox Fanboy's: The Xbox has 2 3.2 Ghz processors, 520 Mb of RAM, and a 500 Mhz graphics processor. This whole console flame war is one of the many reasons I am a PC gamer. Guys, again, it's CNN, keep this out of here.

Ryan Martinez   June 22nd, 2010 11:59 pm ET

any other free sites where i can download psp games ?'-`

Abbie Hunt   July 27th, 2010 9:46 pm ET

PSP game downloads can be downloaded on Emule but be prepared to leave your PC on for several days.":`

Sara Foster   September 14th, 2010 8:32 am ET

direct psp game download sites are hard to find so i always resort to torrent links~;*

Electric Blankets   December 21st, 2010 1:05 pm ET

when i am downloading stuffs over the internet, psp game downloads are always my priority "-"

sex shop tanio   September 14th, 2011 8:26 am ET

I’m convinced you don’t realize how good this blog is.

Burt Toalson   June 22nd, 2012 7:09 pm ET

Hi, Neat post. There's an issue with your web site in internet explorer, might check this¡K IE still is the marketplace leader and a good portion of other folks will leave out your great writing due to this problem.

Leave Your Comment