SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
December 14, 2009

What's the best video game of 2009 ... and 2010?

Posted: 10:48 AM ET
Uncharted 2 wins 2009 Game of the Year
Uncharted 2 wins 2009 Game of the Year

At the end of the year, we look back on the past 12 months to try to figure out what went right - and what’s coming up on the horizon. The gaming industry is no different, and gamers are trying to determine what games succeeded and which will be the sequels-to-come in 2010.

Spike TV hosted the Video Game Awards 2009 on Saturday and handed out hardware to some of the best games of the year. All the big games were nominated in 28 different categories, from best game based on a TV show or movie, to best fighting game and, finally, game of the year. Each platform also got a "best of" award voted on by fans.

Top honors went to “Uncharted 2: Among Thieves” for game of the year, beating out “Assassin’s Creed 2”, “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2”, “Left 4 Dead 2” and the only non-sequel out of the nominees, “Batman: Arkham Asylum."

“Uncharted 2” also picked up best PS3 game, while “Left 4 Dead 2” got best Xbox 360 game. “New Super Mario Bros. Wii” was chosen best Wii game and “Dragon Age: Origins” was the best PC game.

The night wasn’t all about looking back at 2009. There were enough world-premier and first-look videos to whet the appetite for 2010. “God of War III” won the award for most anticipated game of 2010.

One of the biggest surprises included a look at the debut trailer of “Batman: Arkham Asylum 2,” which features a burning Gotham City and a laughing Joker seen getting a blood transfusion. The Clown Prince of Crime obviously survived the “final” battle with Batman, but is definitely in recovery mode and homicidal as ever.

Another game goes the sequel route in 2010 was “Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II.” The debut trailer features the voices of Yoda and Darth Vader trying to sway the main character from the first game to their side of the force.

But probably the brightest light for 2010 will be shining on the newest incarnation in the Halo franchise. The first ever in-game footage of "Halo: Reach" highlighted the group interactions as players will be taking on the role of Lieutenant with the call sign Noble Six.

Other announcements included the addition of Green Day to the “Rock Band” game, a new “Prince of Persia” game and a “Tron: Evolution” game that will obviously be tied in to the upcoming movie.

If you were hoping to catch your breath after this year’s blockbuster games, time’s up. Make sure your platforms are ready because this is going to be a wild, exciting ride in 2010.

Posted by:
Filed under: Games • Gaming • video games

Jon   December 14th, 2009 1:43 pm ET

In my opinion the best game of the year was...you guessed it COD MW2. It was totally epic. 2010 holds a lot of really great games that SHOULD come out (we will see about some) but by far I believe that Mass Effect 2 (by BioWare) will be, hands down, the best of 2010.

Flyin11   December 14th, 2009 2:15 pm ET

Uncharted 2 was defiantly game of the year. Other titles to look forward to in 2010 are Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy 13. Can't wait for those to come out!! Graphics are going to be top notch on those!

BingBongBros   December 14th, 2009 4:51 pm ET

CODW2 is a great game, I have beat the campaign, played through a number of the special ops missions, and have played over 24 hours online. I do however think they got this right though by giving Uncharted 2 Among Thieves the honor of being Game of the Year 2009. The game is from the 3rd person perspective and the action is as seamless as an 'Indy' movie. The story, voice acting, and graphics are all amazing, while MW2 is also a great game I feel the replay value Uncharted provides from a single player/campaign is much greater with the latter. Oh and the online with Uncharted is great fun as well but I'm basing the award off the campaign alone. If you haven't played it pick up a copy or at least rent it to see for yourself. (I do recommend playing Uncharted: Drakes Fortune first as this is a sequel and you won't fully appreciate the characters without playing the first one, plus that is a great game as well!)

Stephen   December 14th, 2009 5:53 pm ET

Uncharted 2 could be the best game if it was offered for both systems. Atleast MW2 is avaiable for XBOX360 and PS3. I think all XBL gamers would agree that MW2 is the best, I've played Uncharted and if 3rd person shooters is your thing sure, but MW2 is better.

AC   December 14th, 2009 6:22 pm ET

I agree. Mass Effect 2 is going to be one of the great games that will come out early on 2010. There's still alot of anticipation with other games such as the much awaited FF13, GoW 3 etc. Hopefully they will not dissapoint🙂

Pablo Escobar   December 14th, 2009 8:44 pm ET

Dante's Inferno is and amazing game coming out in 02/2010! Check out their website. Lots of action and based on a 14th century novel that mapped out hell. Its gonna be sweet.

chris   December 14th, 2009 9:36 pm ET

imo uncharted blows and they missed bioshock 2 and fallout new vegas for the upcomeing in 2010 tho i agreed for the best 360 game and the most anticipated game god of war 3 is makeing me mad tho takeing forever to come out hope its longer then the other 2 and lfd2 was good id say it beat uncharted and assassins creed beat out uncharted on my list

Thomas Partin   December 14th, 2009 11:13 pm ET

im sorry but how did starcraft II not make the list for 2010?

Lemon   December 15th, 2009 3:37 am ET

The Spike TV video game awards is an overated piece of garbage that has no clout or real idea what it is doing when it is rating video games.

Will   December 15th, 2009 7:33 am ET

Multiplayer: MW2
Single Player: Assassin's Creed II or Batman: Arkham Asylum

If SONY is only going to release 1 "hit" a year – 2009 was UNCHARTED 2...then it's only a matter of time that the PlayStation goes the way of the DreamCast, and VirtualBoy.

Angel   December 15th, 2009 10:44 am ET

I'm a bit disappointed that Demon's Souls didn't make the list. Well, I suppose the game wasn't intended for everyone.

Rvlvr_OcelScott   December 15th, 2009 11:18 am ET

@Will:

Sony, 1 hit per year? Are you even trying? Funny how the 3 games you mentioned are availible on both systems, yet the Game of the Year is only on PS3. Sony is nowhere near going the way of the Dreamcast/Virtual Boy. If you said that 2 years ago I'd agree, but please stop being a troll/fanboy. The PS3 has grown to become an excellent system with an excellent selection of titles. I haven't even turned on my 360 since Gears of War 2 and won't be turning it on again until Mass Effect 2.

cris   December 15th, 2009 1:35 pm ET

STARCRAFT 2 people come on, the original game is a freakin' national sport in south korea for crying out loud, how come nobody talks about its sequal next year?

Bob   December 15th, 2009 5:40 pm ET

Don't forget the game that's been years in the making: Final Fantasy XIII.

It's bound to be a beautiful ride.

Also, FFXIV has potential to make Blizzard a little nervous. The world looks to be graphically amazing and there has been a lot of time since FFXI for Square-Enix to work out a successful MMO formula.

In short, I predict these two games will be epic.

Will you are stupid   December 15th, 2009 11:30 pm ET

Sony only releases one hit a year? You obviously don't know anything and are a biased moron. Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, inFamous, God of War collection, and Killzone 2 are all exclusive to the PS3 and were released in 2009. XBox 360 only has Halo Wars and Halo ODST. I think Sony has done very well. I think its only a matter of time before you go the way of the dreamcast. My favorite game of the year is actually Borderlands. I've beat that game 5 times with 4 different friends.

Dal   December 16th, 2009 6:57 am ET

Uncharted 2 uses all 25 gigs of the Blu Ray disc its on and has zero load times in game, utilizing 90% of the Cell Processor's power. That's why it was a PS3 exclusive; because the 360 cannot run it.

Flyin11   December 16th, 2009 9:59 am ET

Yeah...Uncharted 2 was a PS3 exclusive but I don't see why people are complaining and yelling about that. 360 has Forza 3, and the next huge hit for all you Halo fan boys, Halo Reach, next year. So, please stop complaining about Uncharted 2 and it being a PS3 exclusive as the 360 fans have their own exclusive games as well...

Robert   December 16th, 2009 2:32 pm ET

This is just STV's game of the year award...and that is based on what? I still think that by years end COD MW2 will be the best selling game of the year.

casper   December 16th, 2009 2:49 pm ET

i beleive sports game are the best games of the year every year

Rols   December 16th, 2009 2:50 pm ET

Wow! No one mentioned DEAD SPACE 2. I loved the first Dead Space, cinematic and beautiful....and it scared the pants of me (to the delight of my girl who wanted me to stop playing so much XBOX anyway)!!

casper   December 16th, 2009 2:51 pm ET

for example Fifa 2010 or pro soccer evolution 2010
madden 2010 and nhl 2010 cant never beat that

sup com fan   December 16th, 2009 2:57 pm ET

Forget about RTS games? Sup com 2 comes out March...
Gonna be awesome

Donny   December 16th, 2009 2:59 pm ET

I find it funny that they can have an awards show for video games for the year 2009, when the whole month of December of 2009 hasn't enede yet. Why not wait til next month? What about games just coming out for the holliday? Left for dead 2 just came out...how do they know its good or not when people probably haven't had enough time to play it...games and movies are differnt; you are done with a moive in like 2-3 hours tops–but, video games can take anywhere from 4 hours to 100 hours to beat...and that is not including online segments of those games! Also i truly believe Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the best game of 2009; it certainly was the most anticipated...it sold like 4.8 million copies the first couple days of release. Also it topped xbox live's charts for online play in the month of November by a landslide. I, like many other am truly addicted to the online multiplayer environment that the game presents...so much so, that i havent beaten the single player portion of the game yet. Hopefully all of you old people who have no idea about video games or multiplayer gaming can try this at the loca gamestop and see how innovative and addictive it is!

Tylermuir's Blog   December 16th, 2009 3:08 pm ET

[...] – Go to the following website: http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/14/whats-the-best-video-game-of-2009-and-2010/  What are the best video games of [...]

MikeObi   December 16th, 2009 3:20 pm ET

In order of Awesome-Sauce:
1. Bioshock 2
2. Starcraft 2
3. Halo: Reach

Alot of good games with alot of good potential. I'm going to have to divorce my wife just because of Starcraft 2, let alone any of the others.

Big D   December 16th, 2009 3:47 pm ET

In my opinion the game of the year was COD MW2 HANDS DOWN.

Josh   December 16th, 2009 3:51 pm ET

For all of you complaining that the Spike Video Game Awards have no meaning and its just Spike's opinion, you should do some research. These awards are based upon the opinion of hundreds of game journalists. The same people that run sites like gametrailers and kotaku are the ones who got to vote for most of the spike awards. I guess you could say that you don't care what any games journalist thinks, but then I'd call you an uninformed gamer.

TJ   December 16th, 2009 4:19 pm ET

Uncharted 2 is a brilliant game. Anyone crying that it wasn't released on 360 should be happy that they weren't willing to release a crap version of the game on a system too weak to handle it.

MW2 is a great game, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is the best multi-player game on the market, presently. As far as all-around delivery goes, however, I think Uncharted 2 deserves its place at the top.

Stephen smitley   December 16th, 2009 4:19 pm ET

COD Hands down for 2009

Next year Starcraft 2 is going to be a big hit i gurantee blizzard will have its hands tied with WoW and Starcraft 2. its going to be a busy 2010.! better play all the games before 2012 gets here! lol end of the world baby!

moraldeficit   December 16th, 2009 4:26 pm ET

Video games are for children.

Joche   December 16th, 2009 4:37 pm ET

umm yeah what about the real games that pretty much revolutionized multiplayer greatness? not any of the Noobsauce console games.
WOW
SC2
RA3
CS
D2
DF

Jack   December 16th, 2009 4:38 pm ET

Fallout is the only series worth gold in my opinion ... but despite all the modern tools available to programmers, no one has reproduced the multi-scaled map/location concept in the original "Wasteland" (1984) that allowed your party split up and explore different locations.

Joche   December 16th, 2009 4:39 pm ET

RA 1-3*
all of SC*

Zach   December 16th, 2009 4:48 pm ET

Am I the only one excited for Dust 514?

David   December 16th, 2009 4:50 pm ET

@Thomas Partin

Cause it's gonna blow

wowfan   December 16th, 2009 5:01 pm ET

WORLD OF WARCRAFT!!!

Kevin   December 16th, 2009 5:06 pm ET

all i gotta say is Diablo lll

Chris J   December 16th, 2009 5:37 pm ET

Ever since it came out, all I play is Rock Band2, so for me, that is still game of the year.

MikeW   December 16th, 2009 5:47 pm ET

No one talks about Starcraft 2 in 2010 because let's face it, Blizzard ain't gonna release that sucker until it's damn near perfect. And that might not happen until 2011. My personal bet is that it misses the current Q2 release estimate and either comes out in Q4 for the holidays or hits Q1 2011.

Anticipated in 2010, yes. Likely to be released in 2010, hard to say.

lamar   December 16th, 2009 6:08 pm ET

i'm sorry, but beyonce had the greatest video of all time.

TripleThreat   December 16th, 2009 6:41 pm ET

I realize the economy is bad, but who actually only has access to one or the other system nowdays? Huge numbers of us own both the PS3 and the Xbox or all 3 systems. Exclusivity isn't a big issue. I prefer to buy dual releases on the PS3, but I know people who buy the Xbox versions. The my system is better than yours because of exclusive titles was done in 2007.

jamesd   December 16th, 2009 6:46 pm ET

COD MW2 is the best game this year i have played them all , uncharted was returned to store after 2 levels because it was boring great grafics but boring, Bat man was beatable in one day , asassins creed two was a good game but finished all missions in like 3 days and no online how is it even on the list , you want to test a game to see if its a winner , look how many people are playing at the same time online , cod mw 2 how about 500,000 at 2am thats half a million people playing at the same time at 2am !!!!!!! nuff said

Khuong   December 16th, 2009 6:54 pm ET

Bravo for Uncharted 2. First of all I ended up getting both title for the PS3 and I tell you that some of these people saying that COD should have won GOTY should play both games because they don't know anything. People need to realize that hype or sells does not make give a game GOTY award. It's the quality and campaign that does. Everyone who rates a game base on the fact that they think it's good because alot of people buy it is wrong.

my favorite game of 09 is   December 16th, 2009 7:34 pm ET

A little dungeon crawler RPG game called Torchlight on the PC its like Diablo and for good reason some of the guys who made Diablo worked on Torchlight.

If you like dungeon crawler games give this game a try. Download the demo at http://www.torchlightgame.com the full game is only $20

It isnt a memory hog either. It takes up only about 700 mb of hard drive space, and only needs an 800 mhz processor and 512 MB of RAM to run.

Despite the low system requirements the game looks great and is fun to play.

Tonethetiger   December 16th, 2009 8:59 pm ET

Uncharted 2 was simply epic; exactly how a good game needs to be made...seamless storyline and action, challenging gameplay and the feel of a film. Graphics that can't be beat, excellent lighting and shading, grandiose scenery and exotic locations; lovable and flawed and maniacal characters.

I remember the days of Halo on Xbox and the "headset" and oh how cool Xbox was. And for the first year of my PS3 I felt like I was scrambling for an epic game. But in the past 2 months: Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Modern Warfare 2...I can safely say that the Blu-Ray Playing monolith of a game system with free online multiplayer and the ability to run linux...ROCKS.

andy   December 16th, 2009 9:02 pm ET

Uncharted 2 deserved game of the year. MW2 was fun but the campaign is lacking. Uncharted 2 has the best single player experience I've played all year. Next year I'll be excited for God of War 3 and Splinter Cell Conviction.

rothana   December 16th, 2009 9:48 pm ET

I want to play game. It is the best game for me. I never seen it before

bilbo baggins   December 16th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

MW2 is a rulerz. have been playing so much i havent even touched uncharted. fallout 3 was so epic last year it should be the game of the year again this yr.

also read dead redemption FTW 2010

Alan   December 16th, 2009 10:04 pm ET

The game awards show on Spike is nothing more than a game publishers marketing orgy for the mainstream. I wonder how much money gets exchanged with posturing from Spike over who gets nods and who doesn't. People who consider themselves "gamers" know all this. None of what they said matters to the gamer community. WE know what's good and what's not, we don't need an awards show to tell us that.

Diablo   December 16th, 2009 11:20 pm ET

And they forget about Blizzard. Diablo III and Starcraft II are both coming out in 2010...

Toby   December 18th, 2009 12:24 pm ET

What's the best game that DOESN'T have a gun in it?

sup com fan   December 18th, 2009 1:37 pm ET

Toby, that's solitaire, man.

Formal Kids and Bridal   December 20th, 2009 3:30 am ET

Been following this blog for a while, keep it going

dma   December 22nd, 2009 5:08 pm ET

@ Khuong

isn't safe to assume that a game everyone is buying is because it is good?

I like both Uncharted and MW2, the only one that I've put more time into after beating it is MW2, so if you rate a game on replayability and entertainment value I can't see how MW2 doesn't win hands down, from a campaign to campaign and technical standpoint then I'd give uncharted the edge. Both games are great though and since I'm not winning any awards it really doesn't take anything away from either, both are going to have yet another sequel and hopefully they pump out some new maps for MP in MW2

kdizzy   December 22nd, 2009 6:02 pm ET

Triple Threat

I agree to a certain extent concerning users having access to multiple gaming platforms.. I as well used to be in that category until my xbox fried out and red ring of deathed me. I cant condone purchasing another xbox when the failure rate off the line is still so abysmall. Im a sony man now simply because of its dependability. Oh and also Uncharted 2 very much deserves game of the year. Im not a gamer geek like some of the people on here, but I know quality when i see it.

RIckey   December 23rd, 2009 12:43 pm ET

Wait what?

No mention of Bioshock 2? Mass Effect 2?

Come on.

Coolio   December 23rd, 2009 12:45 pm ET

Go MLB09THESHOW! Why don't they even have one sports game on the list? Why are there all just gun games?

George   December 23rd, 2009 4:54 pm ET

UNCHARTED 2, hands down game of the year. For those that have played it, it's really a no-brainer.

Princeton   December 24th, 2009 10:55 am ET

@lamar that was an Awesome comment

jahman   December 24th, 2009 8:49 pm ET

Gee, for 2010 it seems to *me* the big game is going to be Final Fantasy XIII, the first cross-platform (and first full HD) offering for the franchise...

Dragunov   January 8th, 2010 6:45 pm ET

UnCharted 2 is a phenominal game, MW2 up'd the ante from the first MW. But i think God of War 3, and FFXIII, will decimate the competiton, will the graphics the way they are going...no contest

Damien   January 9th, 2010 5:55 pm ET

FFXIII, Easily best game of 2010

Avrailer   February 3rd, 2010 12:24 pm ET

i honestly think that FF XII is the best game to come out but then again you got to look at EVERYTHING about a game not just the graphics (although that is a +).From what i read inGI the storyline seems to be the best of the "ENTIRE" series.. I myself like FF VII's story line. but you alkso have CoD MW2 to think about. really its up to the gamer

gamEr   February 4th, 2010 3:47 pm ET

so we meet again Avrailer you say FF XII i thought you were for the FF XIII but yes i also read about that weird. i think that batman game would be cool mostly because you can play as the "joker" i never liked playing ad batman anyways. but you are intitled to haveing your own opinion i cant disagree with your thoughts oh by the way hve you played FFX, if you hve did you get past the part when you fight semore the 3rd time? how do you defeat him??? anybody know how????

blog 76 « Kylernyhagen's Blog   January 21st, 2011 11:07 am ET

Blog #76 « Drakecornell's Blog   January 21st, 2011 11:09 am ET

[...] January 21, 2011 by drakecornell in Uncategorized 0 Blog #76 – Go to the following website: http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/14/whats-the-best-video-game-of-2009-and-2010/  What are the best video games of [...]

71 72 73 74 75 76 77 « Tanner's Blog   January 21st, 2011 11:15 am ET

luxury florida villas   February 4th, 2011 11:29 am ET

Great site here. Some like yours cover subjects that cant be found in print. I dont know how we got on Many years ago with just magazines and newspapers.

scitech.blogs.cnn.com   April 18th, 2011 12:10 am ET

Whats the best video game of 2009 and 2010.. Nice🙂

Agence de traduction   June 3rd, 2011 12:38 pm ET

Thanks, I've been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

keezmovie   April 8th, 2012 4:09 am ET

I will right away snatch your rss as I can't to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

try these guys out   July 12th, 2014 3:58 am ET

hermes constance wallet replica What's the best video game of 2009 . and 2010? – SciTechBlog – CNN.com Blogs
try these guys out http://zamarolled.it/hermes-outlet/hermes-wallets-hermes-wholesale-bags-outlet-positive-fee.asp

World Of Warcraft Guide Rogue From X-Men | The World of Warcraft   December 4th, 2015 12:13 am ET

[...] doing this will likely be expensive, since at selected skill amounts there is too much information to possibly refer to in this way you would like a BM may totally reset everything, and [...]

World Of Warcraft Gold Making Tips Untuk | The World of Warcraft   December 22nd, 2015 12:14 am ET

[...] found in a progressing guides around out there, many are alright, nevertheless , this appropriate for each other and also with your figure. However , as with an 8 second recover over time. They simply linked [...]

Leave Your Comment