SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
January 28, 2010

Everything you wanted to know about the iPad

Posted: 12:39 PM ET
testing captions
testing captions

Maybe you missed Steve Jobs' announcement Wednesday about the iPad because you were, well, at your job. Maybe you still have questions about the tablet-size device, like why the name iPad? Maybe you want one place to get all your news about the much-hyped device, because you just can't get enough of it.

Well, here's a roundup of our latest coverage:

Video

Filed under: Apple • computers

BaffaMustapha   January 28th, 2010 12:44 pm ET

Mayb iBig or iPalm ...iLong,from its battery!

Steve Blackburn   January 28th, 2010 6:25 pm ET

Again, Apple introduces another iCantaffordit. $499 for technology thats freely available on an iPhone or an iPod touch... PASS!

Chris Germaine   January 28th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

If you can't afford $499, you shouldn't even try to buy anything from apple.... buy a pc.

Chris Germaine   January 28th, 2010 6:31 pm ET

Leave the iPads to us who can afford the $499

chris   January 29th, 2010 12:17 am ET

you people are dumb...iPad is not a computer.. so don't expect to much about iPad functionality...

Wayne Pruski   January 29th, 2010 1:01 am ET

I like where its headed. I wouldn't buy it just for the reader and web browsing and email. I would buy it if there was a good, full blown RDP client available, where I could remote in to my office PC and do my work remotely. I would also want the ability to connect a external monitor (DVI) and bluetooth keyboard. This would give me the full "remote workstation" ability.

Michael   January 29th, 2010 10:56 am ET

really if you cant afford 499 then dont even think about buying anything else from apple.

also this iPad is just a start just like the iPhone 2G looks where it is now.

Skot   February 2nd, 2010 2:51 am ET

Basically what I am hearing is snobs saying "leave the iPad to those that can afford it" and I wonder why bother buying it at all? So far all i get out of the iPad is this great potential, nothing else. Looks like just another tablet PC but since it's from Mac the fanboys and macsnobs are all drooling and trying to sell their mothers for it. And I'm left wondering why. it's a touch screen... ooo, I'm all a quiver. I'd rather spend my $499 on something proven to be useful and proven to be needed, not some vapor-wear nonsense. Slap an apple logo on a piece of dog dropping and I bet you mac-morons would buy it as long as Steve Jobs says "it's new!". Yeah, hate me but you are all idiots.

Ken Charles   February 3rd, 2010 12:35 pm ET

I like my iPod Touch, but one of the things I don't like about it is that the screen is too small for us older folks who have to whip out our reading glasses. The larger screen will be a great plus. Plus this device would be great for older people who are afraid to touch a PC or a Mac because they are just too darn complicated. They wouldn't have to put up with issues related to OS crashes and the like. I don't think that people will say that this device is hard to use. If you can't figure out how to use this device, then you shouldn't be touching anything. As with other devices, this product will evolve. What it lacks now, it will probably have in the future. The iPad will replace my iPod Touch, but I will probably wait until the second or third generation of the product before I purchase one.

Skiking226   February 4th, 2010 6:41 pm ET

I will buy it and use it for an e-reader, it's color thank goodness, and the Kindle is not.

Nick Minton   February 4th, 2010 8:38 pm ET

Too many features missing. I'm in college and out of the army, and I can tell you that I'd rather have a cheap netbook than the ipad that does nothing I need, whether it is in the classrom or in the war theater.

DJ   February 5th, 2010 3:32 am ET

Why does it matter. When you purchase the Kindle or Nook you get 3G for free, with iPad you need to purchase a monthly contract with ATT to use 3G. I hear d somewhere the data plans start about $30 for a certain amount of MB, with additional packages for larger amounts.

Spend the 499+ 130 for 3G capabilities then at minimum $30 a month. The ATT plan alone will be $360 yearly, before you have even purchased any books, apps, or accessories.

Besides, the "iPad" may only becalled iPad in other countries if Apple loses the trademark case for iPad. Fujitsu has owned the trademark since 2003. Their first wireless computer terminal sold under the name was in 2002.

Just as the STMicroelectronics European company trademarked iPad in 2001 that Apple is also fighting to get access to the trademark.

Just as Apple fought the trademark of iPhone, which belonged to Cisco Systems since 1996! Long before Apple thought of iPhone.

Dale   February 8th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

As for the "I can't afford it!" crowd...come on...how much was your pc? You are paying for the compact and mobile ability, the same reason a laptop is more expensive than a desktop.

It's the perfect size to do palm/handheld organizational jobs with a better view. Great combo of an iPod/Handheld and laptop. Looking forward to Netflix on the go. Smaller than a laptop but better display than a phone.

I am not a Mac fan at all..don't own nor have I ever an iAnything. The iPad is about to change that. It IS a computer by definition chris. My only concer is will I be able to listen to tunes and read an ibook at the same time.

Robby   April 11th, 2011 8:47 pm ET

If you would like to learn more what the iPad can do to help enhance your daily life, visit: http://www.doitwithipad.com/87/ipad-how-to-use/

Leave Your Comment