SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
February 3, 2010

eBooks get more expensive

Posted: 11:15 AM ET

Amazon has given in to publisher pressure and agreed to abandon their $9.99 price point for eBooks.

Publisher Macmillan felt that the $9.99 price devalued many of its bestsellers, which often sell for $30 in hardcover format. In response to the pricing dispute, Amazon briefly removed all Macmillan books from its store last week. However, the boycott lasted only a few days before Amazon gave in to Macmillan's demands.

In a statement Sunday, Amazon defended its position to customers:

Macmillan, one of the "big six" publishers, has clearly communicated to us that, regardless of our viewpoint, they are committed to switching to an agency model and charging $12.99 to $14.99 for e-book versions of bestsellers and most hardcover releases.

We have expressed our strong disagreement and the seriousness of our disagreement by temporarily ceasing the sale of all Macmillan titles. We want you to know that ultimately, however, we will have to capitulate and accept Macmillan's terms because Macmillan has a monopoly over their own titles, and we will want to offer them to you even at prices we believe are needlessly high for e-books.

Amazon's decision to throw in the towel may be related to Macmillian's recent agreement to sell books in Apple's iBookstore. Amazon has captured an overwhelming share of the eBook market with its Kindle reader, but if the iPad becomes successful publishers may turn to Apple to sell their eBooks.

During a recent News Corp. earnings call, CEO Rupert Murdoch indicated that HarperCollins may follow Macmillan's example. "We don’t like the Amazon model of $9.99," Murdoch told investors, according to a recap in MediaMemo. "We think it really devalues books and hurts all the retailers of hardcover books... Apple in its agreement with us, which has not been disclosed in detail, does allow for a variety of slightly higher prices."

Publishers seem more interested in protecting the value of their hardcover books than competing in a digital format. Will higher eBook prices convince you to purchase a physical copy of your next novel, or will accept a modest price increase given that eBooks are typically cheaper?

Posted by:
Filed under: Amazon • Apple • books • e-readers • iPad

Jim Jorge   October 18th, 2011 8:48 am ET

Sadly this tactic will also encourage the mid-to-lower class folk such as myself to bypass BUYING a book at all when its available for free if you know the right place to go. Like I said, sadly, I don't like having to do that, but the point of buying my kindle was so that I could buy books cheaper since there is only data, no paper. But now they are all but forcing you to just buy the book because you get more out of the money you are giving; marketing takes us down yet another dark alley to lose itself in another facet.

custom writing   January 5th, 2012 9:55 am ET

Excellent post! I think you've encapsulated the mission of this blog and our challenge.

Ele E   February 25th, 2012 12:54 am ET

I think that ebooks should be delayed by several weeks in order to protect hardcover sales. That being said, ebooks should never cost more than the paperback version. I think it's common sense. How can a book that only takes up space on a server cost more than a book that has to be stored in a leased space. Nevermind that it an ebook would cost more than a book that I can HOLD in my hand. Good luck.

I suggest consumers speak with their wallets. If we don't pay those crazy prices, the publishers will eventually relent. Just wait it out.

MRR PDF Ebooks   April 2nd, 2012 4:07 pm ET

Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is simply great and i can suppose you're knowledgeable on this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grab your feed to stay up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

Family Therapist   April 12th, 2012 1:28 am ET

It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I may I desire to recommend you few fascinating issues or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I want to learn even more things approximately it!

PLR articles, PLR ebooks, Spin Ready Articles, MRR articles, MRR ebooks, PLR Spin Ready Articles,PLR article, PLR ebook, MRR Spin Ready Articles, PLR Spun Articles,MRR spun articles, Private label rights, Private label rights ebook, Private label rights a   April 20th, 2012 9:27 am ET

Thank you for every other wonderful post. Where else may just anyone get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such info.

Miles Whetzel   April 29th, 2012 6:49 pm ET

Awesome blog.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on...

E-Books vs. P-Books… Is It All Over for Paper? | Gary W. Olson | GaryWOlson.com   May 24th, 2012 7:30 am ET

[...] a large brick of paper around. They are, for the most part, less expensive than paper books (though some big publishers are trying to keep their 'traditional' model alive by switching that...) I could save shelf space, and never have to work out what parts of my collection I'd have to [...]

plr articles internet marketing   May 28th, 2012 5:17 pm ET

I am considering writing high-quality PLR articles on the subjects of real estate (including commercial and finance, as these are my fields of expertise. I also have a writing background. Is there enough demand for high quality PLR articles (versus low-cost bulk articles? I am considering of promoting packs of 8 with a restrict of 150 or so?

instantly download the best mobi ebooks online for free!   September 1st, 2012 3:16 pm ET

You're in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading pace is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a wonderful task on this topic!

bestseller books   October 28th, 2012 9:02 am ET

Excellent publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector do not understand this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you've a huge readers' base already!|What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & help other users like its helped me. Great job.

sammaclaren22   November 13th, 2012 11:51 am ET

I still think that old fashioned, books are as good or better than on a device.

kent mens cufflinks vintage   October 8th, 2014 7:29 pm ET

Hi colleagues, how is everything, and what you want to say regarding this post, in my view its truly awesome designed for me.

auto body   October 9th, 2014 10:32 am ET

Having read this I thought it was rather enlightening. I
appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this article together.
I once again find myself spending a lot of time both reading and
commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

Does A Day Trading Vpoc   November 30th, 2014 3:32 am ET

[...] you are in good [...]

Does A Day Condor Trading Lp   November 30th, 2014 1:54 pm ET

[...] financials. You can check out internet forums. Investor hope to become rich quickly into the reason for this is not far to seek. All small cap stocks is legal although the practice trading. While risk involves [...]

When Binary College Options Jrotc   December 6th, 2014 3:46 pm ET

[...] these types of people win or lose penny stocks they aren't going to be scam artists use them to run scams on investor" to get [...]

Leave Your Comment