SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
February 22, 2010

'Endless Ocean' sequel is like a day at the beach

Posted: 02:32 PM ET
The deep, blue sea
The deep, blue sea

After many hours of killing mutated humans (“BioShock 2”), redeeming souls in Hell (“Dante’s Inferno”), or breaking out my military skills (“Battlefield: Bad Company 2” demo), it is nice to just unwind with a new game that can substitute for a tropical vacation.

“Endless Ocean: Blue World” (Nintendo, ARIKA) is the sequel to a 2007 game that emphasized relaxation and calm. The new version on the Wii, which hits stores today, has its calming moments as well - but there's an added element of adventure to it.

Players can dive into oceans around the world and find all kinds of varied marine wildlife and fauna. The visuals are great and the animals, from the tiny seaweed seahorses to the massive humpback whales, are quite lifelike. And there are opportunities to learn about the animals' habits and behaviors when you discover new species.

It would be very easy to just sit back and watch the fish go by, as in the first version of “Endless Ocean.” But there is a storyline to be followed.

The action involves finding out about the “Song of Dragons,” a mystery that takes players around the globe in search of clues and treasure. You can also heal or calm sick or agitated fish with a device called a Pulsar.

The game is not hardcore by any stretch of the imagination. But it is a nice change of pace or even an educational game for youngsters who want to learn more about marine life. Players can even dive with their friends by using Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection.

Speaking for myself, I'd rather relax with a tropical drink in hand and watch the fish go by than try to follow the game's adventure storyline. I like a little more adrenaline in my gameplay. In other words, those mutated humans aren’t going to kill themselves.

Other games coming out this week: “Heavy Rain” (2/22 for PS3), “Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing” (2/23 for PS3, X360, DS, WII), “Napoleon: Total War” (2/23 for PC) and “Metal Slug XX” (2/23 for PSP).

Posted by:
Filed under: Games • Gaming • Nintendo • video games

gamEr   February 22nd, 2010 3:47 pm ET

ive played many games in the past even games people would'nt pick up or even look at. games i recommend are: star wars battle front I and II, god of war I II III, halo I I II and Heavy Rain. im in the middle of trying to get this one

Avrailer   February 22nd, 2010 4:18 pm ET

Well this seems like a good game even though i did not play the original. but sometimes it's good to just sit back and a "relaxing" game... I don't always have to be killing someone in WoW or DAoC or even CoD:MW2... Thank you Arika!!
If anyone would like someone to talk to i am a 18 yo male looking for someone to chill with... (No Funny Stuff) Below is my address
Jeremy.Duggan@NavarroCollege.edu

DecayG   February 23rd, 2010 1:20 pm ET

The first Endless Ocean is great fun for kids and adults. The graphics are incredible and it's actually quite educational about the fish you find. It's a nice break from the usual violence in video game, which don't get me wrong, I enjoy as well. Just not for my young kid.

Ben   March 3rd, 2010 12:21 am ET

Haven't played this one or the first one, was it any good?

avrailer/ jeremy duggar   April 7th, 2010 5:51 pm ET

please i need help. have had endless ocean blue world game for a month ,i'm not able to figure out riddle to get me into the kings' floodgate/ frogs on each side. any help would be appreciated.

Teychin Tamchai   June 25th, 2010 7:18 am ET

Havent play it yet..but Ive heard its no that good!!

Cheers.

Teychin

Directory Organization   July 9th, 2010 1:41 am ET

5/10
Cheers
Directory Organization

the name's ships   September 24th, 2010 3:53 am ET

“Endless Ocean: Blue World” (Nintendo, ARIKA) is the sequel to a 2007 game that emphasized relaxation and calm. The new version on the Wii, which hits stores today, has its calming moments as well – but there's an added element of adventure to it.

marina's dream   October 4th, 2010 8:34 am ET

Endless Ocean: Blue World” (Nintendo, ARIKA) is the sequel to a 2007

the silk of the hustler   October 6th, 2010 4:18 am ET

the silk of the hustler

free willing individual   October 27th, 2010 1:05 am ET

This seems to be a good game even though I didn't play the game. My friends are giving good feedback about the game.So I think it will be nice if I have that game.

georgesolti.com   November 10th, 2010 10:35 pm ET

peer blogging   November 24th, 2010 11:13 am ET

wow, this is awesome.I cannot believe that I haven't got acquainted to it before this. Being new to this, could anyone give me some more details bout it?

positive radicals   December 22nd, 2010 3:07 am ET

Endless ocean – this title capture my attention in the search list.Before purchasing it i seek comments from my friends,they strongly recommended it.Today i am recommending to all of you, definitely its value for money.

mick stop   January 3rd, 2011 10:31 pm ET

Need of the hour to calm and peace; not yet played; but the idea of relaxing, and laid back game will re-charge the batteries and will give a soothing effect.

pro   January 30th, 2011 1:47 am ET

i will defenetly have a try of it soon...

tungsten dragon ring   June 9th, 2012 10:41 am ET

I do agree with all the ideas you have offered in your post. They're very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too quick for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

Leave Your Comment