SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 8, 2010

iPad ad debuts during Oscars

Posted: 12:21 PM ET

The Oscars made history Sunday night - it was the first time a woman won Best Director, and the first time an ad for Apple’s upcoming iPad aired on TV.

The ad, which aired several times during the awards show, follows the same simple formula as Apple's iPhone commercials by featuring unidentified users navigating the iPad with catchy music - “There Goes My Love” by The Blue Van - in the background.

Among the iPad functions highlighted by Apple in the ad: Displaying newspaper articles and e-books, playing movies, showing maps and pictures and typing on the iPad’s touch-screen keyboard.

After the commercial's debut, the iPad became a trending topic on Twitter and on blogs.

The new ad wasn’t Apple's only presence at the 82nd-annual Academy Awards. Steve Jobs was spotted on the red carpet - in a tux, not his usual black turtleneck. The Apple CEO, who presumably was there supporting Disney/Pixar's “Up,” is a shareholder and member of the Walt Disney Company’s Board of Directors.

The iPad will be available in the United States April 3. Customers can begin pre-ordering the device March 12.

What do you think about the iPad ad?

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Apple • iPad

@jimdibb   March 8th, 2010 12:38 pm ET

Never even saw it or noticed it. Was it only on after 11 EST?

bob   March 8th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

Can't Wait!

Ubik   March 8th, 2010 2:01 pm ET

Do they have a price for the iPad yet? Or will we not know until March 12 when we can pre-order?

carlos   March 8th, 2010 2:11 pm ET

its a big iTouch ....

Westcoast Guy   March 8th, 2010 2:12 pm ET

iPad:
– No multi-tasking = no sale
– No Flash support = no sale
– No external storage port (i.e. SD memory) = no sale
– Using iTunes as the front-end = no sale
– Having 4:3 aspect ratio for video instead of 16:9 = no sale
– No camera, front or back = no sale
– No USB port = no sale
– Having high price (any model) = buy a laptop instead

So, what was the question again?

Chris   March 8th, 2010 2:21 pm ET

The iPad is perfectly poised to be another Apple flop, just like AppleTV.

Dale   March 8th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

Very cool...the 'pad' does it all...the book page turns were very nice and looked like viewing a real book.

John   March 8th, 2010 2:51 pm ET

What an ergonomic nightmare. You'll need to get every single accessory to make this thing usable. A 'pad' without a pen is a paper weight in my opinion. If this thing does not let me write notes wit an stylus in my opinion is useless. I already have a phone and a netbook.

George   March 8th, 2010 2:54 pm ET

who cares the product is not all it's been promoted to be.

Nino   March 8th, 2010 4:15 pm ET

To Westcoast guy, Carlos, Chris, John & Geaorge.
You guys need more sweetness in your lives!!!!
Get a girlfriend!!! or eat an "apple" 🙂

Steven Cravis   March 8th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

As usual it was a great ad from Apple.

Eric   March 8th, 2010 4:27 pm ET

Anything that lets me spend less time on a computer is a good thing.

Rafael   March 8th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Would be awesome except for three things...
1. No multitasking support. Meaning you can't run two programs at the same time (except occasionally music+something else). Not a HUGE deal but really thought it would have it.

2. No web cam. The iPhone has a camera... Why would it be so hard to include a webcam in this much bigger product? Oh yeah, they're saving that for 2.0, so everyone has to buy it all over again. This would have been an awesome Skype device.

3. My biggest pet peeve. You can't load flash multimedia on it! Flash is used by 95% of all video players on the web! Want to watch a video? You're stuck with a video app from Youtube and/or pay content from the iStore. This was something that I was willing to let slide on my iphone but on this type of device you'd have to be smoking crack.

"BEST Web Browsing Experience" HA! what a joke. This could have been an epic device, instead they nerfed it so they can milk their customers. I'll stick to my iPhone until they or someone else comes out with something worthy of purchase.

Jacques   March 8th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Revolutionary, computers are evolving into Star Trek devices

Tyler   March 8th, 2010 5:15 pm ET

has potential, but like "westcoast Guy" stated above, with all the missing components, it's hard to really believe this product can succeed. It's time for Apple to start making full products instead of a half job that needs accessories to go a long with it to make it do various functions that should be in the product in the first place.

davidcisco   March 8th, 2010 5:28 pm ET

what a piece of junk. all the things they could have done and this is what apple gives us? seriously. we should all ban it until they release what we were all hoping they would give us.

DruPM   March 8th, 2010 6:58 pm ET

Fun ad – sounds like a great idea... but I agree with Westcoast Guy – too many things missing that limit its usefulness. I hope HP is paying attention for their product 'slated' for later this year...

Matt   March 8th, 2010 7:12 pm ET

The iPad is another example of Apple Marketing. Is it going to sell a lot of copies? Absolutely. Is it a revolution in technology? Absolutely not. All the iPad is is a blown up iPhone or iPod Touch. Nothing new about it.

Using a phone OS for what is supposed to be a computer interface? Really?

There will be those who buy it because Apple tells them to buy it, and the rest of us will get something that will actually meet our needs.

Techguy   March 8th, 2010 7:53 pm ET

This product is garbage and im soooooo disapointed but not supprised at apple. It was just a matter of time before their win streak bubble burst. I truely was pulling for them to get out a great touchpad with long battery but this is just sad. Poorly thought out and released to soon. The good news is thought that they took the first step, which historicly is the hardest to take. Now that Apple put out this trash, there will be lots of companys ready to capitalize on their failure.

Yowchen   March 8th, 2010 8:18 pm ET

Sounds like the iFlop
The iPhone is great, but the iPad is just a bad remake of it.

Eastcost Guy   March 8th, 2010 8:54 pm ET

Haters... Like the iPhone, the iPad will redefine the market. Sure version 1 isn't everything it could be, but they had to keep the price down for the early adopters. By the way, there will be a ton of early adopters. Much like the iPhone, word of mouth and general acceptance will create the new niche market product that will then be copied by many companies.

-No multi-tasking – agreed, kinda weak, but expect future versions to change that.
-No Flash Support – good, newer open standards address that issue.
– No external storage port – its not a laptop – no driver issues
– Using iTunes as the front-end = shrugs, millions already use itunes
– Having 4:3 aspect ratio for video instead of 16:9 = not a show stopper
– No camera, front or back = agreed that this needs to be addressed, but the price is lower due to the lack of camera in version 1. The more adopters, the faster the manufacturing costs drop.
– No USB port = its not a laptop, but i do expect a port in the future
– Having high price (any model) = buy a laptop instead – wrong market, wrong person – Apple is defining or redefining the market between netbook and laptop. A multifunctional e-reader if you will.

Brian   March 8th, 2010 9:23 pm ET

All of you are such nay sayers. You probably said the same thing when the iPod, and iPhone came out. Just hate to see that you all are so negative about this new kind of device. Give it a chance for what it's worth. Remember it's not a traditional computer. I'ts a new piece of tech that really doesnt have a category name yet. So for those of you that need a usb port, external storage etc. get a laptop baby. (smile)

Jordan   March 8th, 2010 9:24 pm ET

Just like everything from Apple, over rated, over hyped junk.

George Seybold   March 8th, 2010 11:26 pm ET

The most interesting part of this story is the venomous reaction of those who simply want the product to fail. If you don't want it or like it then don't buy it. It's not like you are buying water here – it's a c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r. Stop thinking of as something more. If your non-tech savvy family member is seeking a digital media consumption appliance then this is for them. If you have other needs, don't buy it for crying out loud.

Me? Yeah, I'll take two .. perfect for my mobile sales needs as I take credit cards and people can sign with their finger.

Sir Laughing Pear   March 8th, 2010 11:38 pm ET

Overgrown iPod touch with mediocre specs. Looks like I will have to wait and see if Microsoft's Courier has anything better to offer.

Bibek   March 9th, 2010 1:17 am ET

I think i would rather have a netbook.. i can do so much more with it. The only thing that ipad has that a net book doesn't is a touchscreen...

nireyaj   March 9th, 2010 1:57 am ET

The first edition is under-powered, under-featured, and over-priced...but I think that will change with the second version. Apple wants to sell a few to die hard "gotta have the latest;it' thing" buyers...to make a few bucks, work out the bugs, and see which other features people demand most. Cell phone addicts aside, most people won't really want a built in camera...though most would like an SD slot to save books, letters, etc , to. Later models will probably have USB, and HDMI, ports....either that,or a much lower price. The first versions of the: Macintosh, MacBook, iPhone, etc, were not all they could be...but they became better...and got big. i expect the same with the iPad. I won't buy this first version, but may get a version 2, or 3, model down the road.

mgm   March 9th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

Westcoast Guy – u had the best comment. I aint gonna buy iPad in a million years...

bill   March 9th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

love my Apple tV used it every night. In the evening and morning I scan the net for news over coffee and watch class material from itunesU on my laptop. The iPad will fit those needs much nicer. Can't wait. I suspect there are large numbers of folks like me.

Chris   March 9th, 2010 2:03 pm ET

I love by iPhone but would never consider an iPad. It's basically a bigger iPhone. I can buy a laptop for $400 that will do everything an iPhone won't so why would I buy an iPad that can't? I guess it's a great portable book reader and movie player, but I prefer real books in any case.

Shelby   March 9th, 2010 2:36 pm ET

The commercial is very APPLE, which is far and above anything from the PC makers. Like Dell with the "Lollypop Lollypop" singing ad – pathetic. Like most people before I judge the iPad I will wait to see how it feels and performs at the Apple Store then weight in.

Jeramy   March 9th, 2010 2:52 pm ET

Three words...remember the newton?

mctc   March 9th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

Looks like a big clumsy cell phone with a thyroid disorder. Reminds me of the credit report dot com guys phone. LOL "hello. hello. hello. can anybody hear me??" I'd get a netbook.

Ken   March 9th, 2010 3:01 pm ET

I'll wait for version 3.0 just like I did for the iPhone.

MrJimbo   March 9th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Just wait for the Microsoft Courier to come out later in the year.

Matt   March 9th, 2010 3:07 pm ET

I think the iPad will sell quite well on the coolness factor. people who use the iPod Touch or iPhone (myself included) like the fact that the internet can be delivered on demand anywhere. the problem is that it gets to be a bit cramped to jam a website on phone or music player. This device will fit the niche product category and with the high profit margin apple has on this thing, even if it does not do gangbusters after its inital release, they will keep it around for those interseted (see Apple TV). People need to realize that if it did everything the nay sayers want, it would canibalize apples laptop market. Why buy a macbook if a cheaper device can do everything. The iPad is EXACTLY what apple intended to be. A better computer than a smart phone but less feature rich than a laptop. It was meant to fill a void and to to replace any product apple sells.

Jim Bob   March 9th, 2010 3:23 pm ET

I need to get this. This i probably the greatest invention since the microwave. The government should spend stimilus money in buying an IPAD for all government officials.

gmcruiser   March 9th, 2010 3:25 pm ET

The ad was so fast paced, as soon I saw it (perhaps the first airing–oddly, just before Up got its Oscar) I "rewound" the DVR and played the ad in slow motion. Frankly, the ad is much better in slo-mo to get a better look at some of the features and just what was on that iPad. If you have DVR, consider a slo-mo replay for that or future ads that move too fast.

nireyaj   March 9th, 2010 3:37 pm ET

I'm not a tech-addict. I don't have to have the latest fad gadgets, or the entire plethora of gizmos/features. If I buy an e-reader device, I will use it to store books/magazine articles, and to read them. Being able to carry one book sized item which contains dozens, or hundreds, of books would be handy...especially on long trips, with long tarmac waits, flight delays, etc. Those 18 hour flights to Australia would go better with something more to read without taking up more space in my carry-on. I do not need: video games, picture taking, web surfing, e-mail reading/sending, etc, capabilities as I get those on my computer. I do not need cell phone capability, as I already have that on my cell phone. As such, I do not need most of the features that most people are squawking about, and I will not pay extra for them, or choose a reader based upon which does. or doesn't, have such features. What I would want would be: lots of books/magazines, from many sources, in many formats, at a low price. So far, both the iPad,and Kindle, fall down in these regards. The Kindle wants to force me to buy from Ebay, and the iPad wants to chain me to the iTunes store. If I bought today, I would buy a Sony which allows more formats, and sources, and even lets me use it with my public library as a source. I may wait a bit to see if Apple, or others, wake up and correct their current shortcomings. I am currently window shopping various sources for the books I will be purchasing later. A reader is on my list of 'to get soon' items, and I am comparing makes/models. I am, however, looking for a reader...not another computer, or phone, or hand held game machine, or camera. For people who want an all in one item- because they don't yet have the other items (cell phone, camera, etc) yet...or they just have too much money and need to blow some of it now and then to lighten their wallets-the ongoing Pad-Wars have meaning. For me, it's all smoke & mirrors...a tempest in a teapot...much ado about nothing. Currently, I am leaning towards a red Sony 'Touch Edition', as it offers the widest choice of formats & sources, and I like the 6 inch size., and the price. Beyond that, everything else is irrelevant. I can go a few minutes-or even hours-between my home, and work, or home, and hotel, or such. without having to be online, or taking grainy photos, or talking on the phone. When I am at home, or work, or a hotel, I can use my computer rather than my ereader to get online, play games, send mail, etc.

RunsWithScissors   March 9th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

I was at the Dr's yesterday and he had to leave the exam room to look at an MRI that he called up on his boat anchor desktop via the web. I'm thinking this is a potential iPAD market that could be huge!

Neville   March 9th, 2010 3:58 pm ET

Yeah yeah yeah, I don't care what you guys say I'm still buying one.

nika Williams   March 9th, 2010 4:15 pm ET

my children, mother, and grandparents will find this to be a perfect introduction to computing. i love it for that reason.

shockley;   March 9th, 2010 4:26 pm ET

toooo big. i've already got an itouch; i dont need a bigger one.

3G_Cydia   March 9th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Im sick of the criticism

– No multi-tasking = no sale

They were going to do this for netbooks using windows 7, so apparently PC was thinking to do same thing. didn't happen, but not ridiculous.

– No Flash support = no sale

what is this obession with Flash? Do you love ads? then flash is perfect. Im sure you can go to plenty of video on youtube(which will be on the iPad).

– No external storage port (i.e. SD memory) = no sale
How much space do you need? I think people think this is supposed to be a replacement for a laptop, which it isn't.

– Using iTunes as the front-end = no sale
Yea Windows doesn't load up MSN.com by default at all! They didn't embed Media Player (the worst program EVER) into Windows...oh wait they did. I though businesses were supposed to make money...

– Having 4:3 aspect ratio for video instead of 16:9 = no sale
This is a non-issue. Seriously, you NEED 16:9 on all your screens?
Its starting to sound like Westcoast guy is a gamer who wants to play Crysis on the iPad

– No camera, front or back = no sale
....how often are you taking picture with your laptop camera. I'm sure it must be a snap walking down a busy street taking pictures with your webcam.

– No USB port = no sale
This is probably one I will actually agree with. Im sure it can do bluetooth, but it should have at least 2 usb ports

– Having high price (any model) = buy a laptop instead
Nobody is stopping you or anybody from buying a laptop. this is designed for a different user, or as a supplementary laptop. Obviously youre not going to get an iPad if youre on a budget. I often wonder why, if people hate Apple so much, that they read all their stories and updates, and then whine and complain; or gloat about how much better Windows is. I would feel foolish if I went to a microsoft forum and said" hey, i don't get any viruses! Your OS sucks!" I understand that each product has a place, and may not be for everyone. Some people apparently did not get the memo.

Dave   March 9th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Can you say "Segway"? Remember that invention that was supposed to transform human transportation.

Hawkeye   March 9th, 2010 4:41 pm ET

Don't worry, Westcoast Guy, you'll be able to read all about iPad's record launch day sales on your Acer Aspire.

apw   March 9th, 2010 4:44 pm ET

I think what people are failing to realize about the iPad is that it is not meant to be, nor will it ever be, a personal computer. The iPad is a graduated version of the iPhone (I should know, i have one) but its target market is not the tech savvy; that's why it's simple. Think Amazon's Kindle. it's a uni-tasker at best but, it works great!

Plus, the iPad is not a tablet pc. That product has been introduced and failed way too many times. So we need to stop making comparisons. Pardon the pun but it's comparing Apple's to oranges.

Personally I think WE are hyping up the iPad because we got caught up in the success of the iPhone. We're placing unrealistic expectations on Apple when we should just accept that some will use it, some will not.

The world will go on.

midwest   March 12th, 2010 7:43 pm ET

People panned the ipod at first also. I bought a first generation iPod, loved it! I still have it (it still works) and a few others, including a new 64gb ipod touch. This iPad is too cool. I pre-ordered one today. I can't wait to use it at work, home, etc.

Once the doubters see me with mine, they will want to "see it". My response will be, "get your own".

CORBY   March 14th, 2010 2:04 am ET

I want one. But, I plan to wait for next generation that has a camera. Hurry up, Steve!!!

>iPad ad debuts during Oscars | nihili's journal   April 4th, 2011 11:49 am ET

[...] iPad ad debuts during Oscars(08/03) 82회 오스카 시상식에 공중파 tv를 타고 ipad 신제품 출시에 대한 광고가 성공적 데뷔였다고 cnn 발 blog 기사. 이날 일요일 저녁 미국 블러그와 트위터에 급 상승 토픽 거리가 되어서 성공적 데뷔였다, 그리고 애플 ceo가 월트 디즈니사 이사회에 멤버이자 주주라고 하네요. >>> 바로 12/03 예약 주문 시작>> 스토어 서버 다운( 주문 폭주로 일시 중단) March 12, 2010 [...]

Leave Your Comment