SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 12, 2010

iPad pre-orders start today

Posted: 07:31 AM ET
Steve Jobs and his new iPad
Steve Jobs and his new iPad

The "magical and revolutionary" moment is finally here. Apple is allowing fans the opportunity to pre-order the new iPad starting today.

In preparation for the onslaught, the Apple Store was down early Friday with a yellow sticky pad saying, "We'll be back soon." The store since has reopened and are now taking pre-orders for Apple's latest creation.

Even though you can order today, the iPad wonโ€™t be in the customer's hands until April 3rd. Our partners at Mashable say "this moment is exciting because from now on, Apple (and, hopefully, the media) will have some idea how well this thing actually sells."

Will you be one of the first to order? Are you going to wait? Or do you even want to get an iPad anyway?

Posted by:
Filed under: iPad

Rob   March 12th, 2010 5:40 pm ET

I preordered one, but for me, my company tracks all my internet use even when I am off our network. It blocks mostly everything, including ESPN and Yahoo, and I travel a ton for my job. So instead of having an e-reader, a netbook, and an MP3 I can do all those things with this, and prevents having to lug around my personal lap top. Plus when I get stuck in airports I can at least play on the internet if I do not feel like working. First Apple product I will own, besides my iPod that got jacked out of my hotel room that worked after 3 years of use.

Astrak   March 12th, 2010 5:45 pm ET

I'll pass and wait for the HP slate running Windows 7(an actual OS)

patrick   March 12th, 2010 5:48 pm ET

I can't wait for the 3rd generation.. Awesome concept..

Ken   March 12th, 2010 5:49 pm ET

it looks so gay!

Ray   March 12th, 2010 5:55 pm ET

Apple rarely makes mistakes and their new products are often revolutionary. This iPad however, is completely pointless and a waste of money.

Andrew   March 12th, 2010 5:56 pm ET

This is Apple's new Lisa

Mike   March 12th, 2010 5:56 pm ET

I see people sitting in Starbucks, using their laptop to cruise the internet, study and watch movies. The people who want a portable device to interface with visual media at a comfortable size are the market for this device. Instead of dragging around a laptop to cruise the internet and view email, a newspaper, your latest beach read, and trying to watch a movie on your smart phone, one may be carrying just an iPad. For voice mail, a low end cell phone with just a voice plan. Include iWorks apps, and you are also productive. Sweet.

Jordan Nass   March 12th, 2010 5:58 pm ET

@Rob:
People know this because the specs for the device are already out.

carbonadam   March 12th, 2010 6:04 pm ET

I am an artist and a writer and my wife is a writer. Anyone with a creative streak who wants it for more than just the basics will be very pleased. Art, writing, and music creating on this device will rock.

box   March 12th, 2010 6:05 pm ET

@OsoMartinez your dumb azz commented about comments...get a life moron

Ratnok   March 12th, 2010 6:06 pm ET

Nope, no iPad for me.

jimmyb   March 12th, 2010 6:06 pm ET

Scroll back up the page.

Can you see than graphic below the 'About this Blog' panel ?

That's because you're NOT using an iPAD.

Sophie   March 12th, 2010 6:09 pm ET

looks sorta suckish.. looks like a bigger ipod touch.......... on thee other hand it might be sorta neat.

Picachone   March 12th, 2010 6:12 pm ET

In 1995 a lot of people said the internet was a useless fad. Today a lot of people are saying the same about the iPad.

Kevin   March 12th, 2010 6:19 pm ET

Very interested in geting 1, but will wait for the $ and for all the bugs to be worked out. I don't want to be the test dummy.

Ryan Keys   March 12th, 2010 6:22 pm ET

I like my mac products-my 13 inch macbook pro, my ipod touch...but this thing is the biggest piece of sh%@!t you could ever waste your money on. I'm sick to death of Apple's "new product" shenanigans.
For example, it doesn't run multiple applications!!! What use is it then?!

You can buy a laptop for the same amount (or less) that would perform twice as well.

$500 for an ipod touch on steroids? Please!
You are going to hate it even more when people buy it blindly, realize it's expensive junk, hate it, and the price comes down $200 or more in a very short period of time-much like the iphone....see a pattern here?
What I really don't get is their liege to AT&T and the joke of a service they provide. Birds of a feather stick together!
The more you guys deliver undeserved hype, the higher the price you will pay for a less-than product. Challenge Apple, BOYCOTT this piee of junk.
Read the reviews all you zombie-eyed-mac-a-farians!

Ryan Keys   March 12th, 2010 6:22 pm ET

For example, it doesn't run multiple applications!!! What use is it then?!

$500 for an ipod touch on steroids? Please!
The more you guys deliver undeserved hype, the higher the price you will pay for a less-than product. Challenge Apple, BOYCOTT this piece of junk.
Read the reviews all you zombie-eyed-mac-a-farians!

Michelle   March 12th, 2010 6:25 pm ET

Got it.

Haha   March 12th, 2010 6:27 pm ET

Its not supposed to take the place of a computer people...Also if your broke don't buy one, save your money for school or a new suit to go get a better paying job!

My_2_cent   March 12th, 2010 6:28 pm ET

Want to get one, BUT I can't find any use for it. I have been using iphone the first day it came out. I have been using a tablet befroe the iphone came out.

If I have to carry a "want to be" tablet (ipad) around, it needs to at least has a stylus and flash.

Jason   March 12th, 2010 6:31 pm ET

My wife's having a heavy flow day so I think I'll buy her three iPads.

veggiedude   March 12th, 2010 6:32 pm ET

51,000 orders in the first two hours! Yes, I ordered one.

Paul   March 12th, 2010 6:35 pm ET

...outdated technology on an extremely overloaded network...
are you kidding Apple ? NO WAY

TexasFrau   March 12th, 2010 6:38 pm ET

Where's the "LIKE" button??๐Ÿ™‚

Jake   March 12th, 2010 6:46 pm ET

I'll get the 2nd gen later this year!!!!

Pooops   March 12th, 2010 6:47 pm ET

Will buy it if it drops down to $250. But otherwise its useless for having no webcam, flash and usb. PC slate would be much better.

kkuda   March 12th, 2010 7:01 pm ET

defenitely not

ukuwa   March 12th, 2010 7:09 pm ET

get the 3g internet with vonage service.. Ummhh.. can't wait...

James   March 12th, 2010 7:53 pm ET

Already ordered. Always wanted a larger iPod Touch, and this is exactly that.

mtnscubagirl   March 12th, 2010 7:57 pm ET

Maybe someday. I agree that it seems like a giant iPhone or Ipod Touch. I just can't wait until Apple makes a deal with Verizon Wireless so I can get an iPhone – Apple needs to make it in 64 GB and that will be all I ever need.

Tim Grady   March 12th, 2010 8:53 pm ET

I didn't even realize that today was the first day that orders were being accepted. I just happened to go to Apple's site, and saw that they were. I ordered one for my daughter's upcoming high school graduation present! I have a feeling she's going to love it.

Jake   March 12th, 2010 9:11 pm ET

Ordered 64 GB wifi iPad earlier today can't wait to have it!

John G   March 12th, 2010 9:51 pm ET

just ordered mine now

Derrick   March 12th, 2010 10:02 pm ET

Don't want or need it.

ralph smith   March 12th, 2010 10:46 pm ET

Ok we have been waiting for the pad!!! It is revolutionary and amazing
we are buying 2 .. it will be great with great speed!!

jb   March 12th, 2010 11:21 pm ET

Going to wait and see

Cindy   March 13th, 2010 12:29 am ET

I want one but told my husband he wasn't to let me buy 1st generation anything again. I have an early EEE PC model that I "had to have" and payed 2x the price for and it is really slow. I'll get one next year.

vic   March 13th, 2010 2:14 am ET

Listen you frustrated and jealous pc users, wake up and come out from floppy generation.
do not compare ipad with those ugly looking plastic bread box you call Laptop or Notebook.....
i was fortunate enough to hold this ipad for minute in Bay Area and it just
blew me away..... and mind you i am hard core computer guy who just look for quality and after using G5 WITH 18GB RAM AND I7 WITH 12 GB RAM, I can still say ipad is magical.
Go on april 3rd to apple store and use it for 5 minute, You will be ashamed about your poor and cheap comment.
I still use window XP pro and never complaint about it becouse it is a very balanced OS Microsoft ever produced,But you have no right to abuse a Hard core R&D who invented this products for us to enjoying browsing and enjoying while sitting on couch watching tv
who needs a USB drive , Come on now we are moving in to next generation when we can sync all out multimedia over the clouds with itune.
I still carry my 6.5 TB itune lib in my iphone wherever I go..
Who wants the battery sucker flesh in ipad
do you know about flash, read here:

We all love YouTube videos. We all love Homestar Runner. But we don't love it when Flash ads or other Flash-related junk forces our processors to run hot and leech our precious battery fluids.
Flash animations and videos are among the top processor hogs on Mac OS X. A single poorly-designed Flash banner – even in an inactive window or tab - can suck up an entire processor core with its shady mortgage offers.
Your 5-hour battery life gets cut in half, your laptop runs hotter, and your legs cook to medium-rare.

Every time you drain your battery, you bring it 0.2% closer to death's door.
That's, like, 25 cents per charge at Apple's going rate of $129 for a replacement battery.
Not to mention the toll on your energy bill. And the nuclear coal burned to provide that electricity.
In a world with Flash, you may end up having to replace your Computers battery over its lifetime, since the Flash plug-in is free to suck up your battery's lithiums, ions, and polymers with wanton disregard to your pocketbook ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

when ipod came: pc folk say, It's going to be a flop product, did it happen....NO
apple have sold nearly a billion ipod...
when iphone lunched,PC SR director claimed that iphone will be a flop show ...
end result now everyone wants a iphone
and now ipad you pc user screaming about
it's poor assessment of the product before it's lunched

wait and see

Sherri   March 13th, 2010 9:00 am ET

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Always exciting when a new Apple product hits the market!

Jim   March 13th, 2010 9:14 am ET

Ordered one. I'm replacing a laptop that is over 6 years old and barely holding on. So the timing is good for me. After careful thought on how the laptop has been used over the years, the iPad will fill the niche very nicely. And, yes, it IS an iPhone with more screen realestate and no phone or camera. That's why I like it.

The iPad eliminates all the clunky mechanics of a keyboard and mouse. Once VPN is perfected, it will be the perfect device to RDP into my work PC which has great appeal to me. Aside from this, I have all the other features that I love about the iPhone, which is really much more than a phone.

When the iPhone first came out, I couldn't understand why someone would pay so much money for a portable phone. After doing some research, I was more than impressed with the features the iPhone had to offer. My wife replaced her phone with an iPhone. The interface was so intuitive. After a year, I wanted one. The only thing I use my desktop for is to play my old video games and do my taxes. Everything else is done on my iPhone now; listen to music, watch the weather, email, texting, take pictures, follow stocks, find directions, surf the net, program my satellite receiver, read newspapers, listen to NPR, read books, play games, social networking....the list goes on. The original iPhone is still pretty cool. The only improvement to date is speed, GPS and some camera tweaking.

I predict the iPad will really catch on once the creative juices start flowing from the developers and more meaty applications turn up. Consumers that haven't jumped on the iPhone due to Apple being in bed with AT&T may scope up an iPad. It's hard to tell how the consumer winds will blow.

Mohammed Moshebah   March 13th, 2010 10:25 am ET

I hope that apple release a store for saudi arabian mac users.

Walt   March 13th, 2010 1:36 pm ET

Wow i cant wait for a new ipad....i like to spend a outrageous amount of money just so they can come out with a new one that has features that should of been on the 1st one...thanks Apple

AraiR32   March 13th, 2010 1:54 pm ET

@ Alex:

If consumers spend money, it actually HELPS the economy. If everyone hoards their money, it HURTS the economy.

I'm not an economical genius, and this is merely my opinion.

Now I'm not saying that everyone should blow all their money, and live paycheck to paycheck; however buying stuff outright (without a loan) is fiscally healthy.

MooseBeaver   March 13th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

If you don't like the iPad, that's fine. If it is not something you want/ need, don't buy it, but don't be hating on it, just shut up. The same thing goes for the people who don't want/need or can't afford a Mac and then go and fill up the comments everywhere saying how much they hate Macs.

Marty   March 13th, 2010 4:13 pm ET

I placed my pre-order for the 3G model iPad!

Michael   March 13th, 2010 4:28 pm ET

Wait for the MS Courier!

Joshua   March 13th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

Very proprietary, not surprising for an apple product, as well as pricy, yet again not surprising. My laptop and blackberry do me good enough, but if someone gave one to me I wouldn't complain.

Dennis Vella   March 13th, 2010 4:57 pm ET

I am a diabled veteran, can you send me one for free?

Claire   March 13th, 2010 5:05 pm ET

The ipad rulz! to bad I can not get one! Its like a phone and laptop in one

Josh   March 13th, 2010 5:28 pm ET

Hey Alex – not EVERYONE had all of their money taken from them by Wall Street. Some os us were smart in our investing/cash management. Not every was over their head in a mortgage and car they can't afford. We can still but things dude... Now, if i had no job and lived with my in-laws, probably would buy a suit for interviews over and iPad... Deal with it. It's going to change everything, just like the iPhone changed smart phones and what people used them for.

LL   March 13th, 2010 6:55 pm ET

In all seriousness... here is my question and try to answer it honestly.

Q: Why do you have to have this? What is the actual reason?

or is it just a want/got to have the latest "thing".

Regards.

moonman   March 13th, 2010 8:35 pm ET

there sure are some very angry geeks out there!! how much you wanna bet the sales are thru the roof and possible gets the print news a books into peoples hands again. chill out people! it will eventually have a cam, probably 2, and the iphone and ipod touch seem to do ok without flash so...

JJayzX   March 14th, 2010 12:13 am ET

Get a Notion Ink Adam, its a tablet thats way better than ipad hands down. http://gizmodo.com/5471559/notion-ink-adam-tablet-caught-on-video-specs-finalized shows comparison

Kyle Noyer   March 14th, 2010 1:44 am ET

Do not want. Sounds cool and all, but typing on that thing would be absolutely horrid.

dan   March 14th, 2010 1:50 am ET

Yeah lets all jump on the ipad band wagon cuz its just so useful. I can think of over 3 uses for the ipad, and for around 500 what a great price.

Bob   March 14th, 2010 3:07 am ET

Looks like they sold about $20 million worth in just the first few hours after they started taking orders, according to one resport. That's quite a start. Prediction: several hundred million dollars by the end of the year. This IS a hit folks. The naysayers will be surrounded by Ipad users galore in no time. Kind of like people using the abacus while all their friends leave them behind with calculators. You'll be unique, alright.

S   March 14th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

"Maybe they should pre-order a new, less material life! We had a serious recession that almost sent us into financial oblivion you know. Oh wait, that was waaaay back in 2008, sorry, I forgot."

Oh I'm sorry that the US has been billions of dollars in debt for a long time... before telling individuals what to do with their money, perhaps the government should be taught how to budget it themselves...

Don't go telling people what to do with their own money, and if I'm not mistaken people usually want you to spend money in the market to help the economy...but that's just been going on much longer than 2008.

As to the iPad itself... I would like one but I'd like to see and hear more of what it does and try one out... as someone else said, let's not bash it until you try it out...

Ganhar Dinheiro   March 14th, 2010 3:58 pm ET

I am looking forward to for this kind of technology, Apple really can combine functionality and visual in a single device.

Kerry   March 14th, 2010 9:33 pm ET

Have to have it. The iPad gets us closer to reducing the baggage of laptops and desktops towards internet computing in the cloud

Niburnarasis   March 15th, 2010 2:47 am ET

I think it's garbage but will concede that, since app developers are a quick and savvy bunch, I imagine a hack to add flash might not be far off.

Tony   March 15th, 2010 9:39 am ET

My oh my – I can certainly understand if someone doesn't want to buy this, and I can also understand why it might be just right for someone else...

The most disturbing thing about these comments is how absolutely rude people are.

To those of you who are doing nothing more than name calling:

Can't we agree that it's not right for everyone? Why all the name calling – is it simply some sad attempt to be superior? What people choose to spend their money on is up to them – some people love cars, some love televisions, some like computers, some like sculpture, some like ALL of that. Some want a new little touch-pad device, some want a bigger laptop.

Live and let live, folks! Consider how you would like YOUR CHILDREN to talk to others, and then look at how you're doing it.

Iphone3gsuser   March 15th, 2010 10:04 am ET

I'm interested in it, but I want to try it out before i decide to purchase it. Will it be a lot more useful then my iphone? Is it too big to carry around without a man-purse? Will they make a belt-clip holder or a holster for it? LOL.

Tomg   March 18th, 2010 1:06 am ET

The world is divided among many lines including apple haters and apple lovers. World can accommodate both.

avi converter   June 16th, 2010 7:21 am ET

This solved my big problem

mac dvd to apple tv converter   July 7th, 2010 2:00 pm ET

It is remarkable, the helpful information

Mackenzie Ward   September 29th, 2010 2:33 pm ET

Wimax is so great, lots of bandwidth and new services too'*'

Caitlin Baker   October 5th, 2010 5:36 pm ET

satellite receivers that are made in china are sometimes does not follow frequency standards.*.

Depression Treatment    October 14th, 2010 7:33 am ET

Wimax will actually provide more bandwidth and service on the congested cellular frequencies""

RFID Reader :   October 25th, 2010 1:09 pm ET

wimax is a great addition to the cellular phone industry, it could enably higher bandwidth and data transfer~-;

colby1980   March 2nd, 2012 6:09 am ET

Gerard, proper francefollowing my drink's level, who feels a granduncle 150, a 2008 t-max sits inwardly the site. http://erokiev.com

vintage kleding   July 31st, 2012 4:58 am ET

Excellent web site. A lot of helpful info here. I'm sending it to some pals ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks to your effort!

best mileage credit card with no annual fee   October 29th, 2012 10:45 pm ET

I have read some just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you set to make such a excellent informative website.

Leave Your Comment