SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 16, 2010

Geek Out!: Two CNNers rate 'God of War III'

Posted: 01:40 PM ET
God of War 3
God of War 3

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature on latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From sci-fi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's Marquee and SciTech blogs.

"God of War III" is officially out today, and scores of gamers are no doubt fighting fatigue after waiting in line last night to get their hands on this highly anticipated game. "GOW III" follows a warrior, Kratos, who has a serious beef with the ancient Greek gods. He battles zombie warriors, minotaurs, ogres and other mythological creatures on his way to exact revenge. And when he gets to the gods, "God of War III" gets really good.

Two of CNN.com's resident gamers, Larry Frum and Dereyck Moore, have played the game and are raving about it. *SPOILER ALERT* If you're one of those people who don't want to know about the gory, HD details, look away now. For those of you ready to find out specific details and gameplay, read on!

Larry Frum, one of our bloggers, got his hands on an advanced copy of the game. Here's what he had to say:

“God of War III” is spectacular in all facets of the production. From the graphics to the gameplay to the story itself, the team at Sony Santa Monica really put their all into making this game worth the three-year wait.

Boss battles are with various gods and defeating each has far-reaching consequences. Beating Poseidon, god of the sea, causes the oceans of the world to rise. Killing Apollo, the god of the Sun, darkens the skies and blocks out the light. Breaking the neck of Hera, wife of Zeus, causes all plant life to die. This game is all about making the Kratos series bigger.

There are new weapons to use, new magic to unveil and new combinations to dazzle opponents. Kratos can strike with Hercules’ gauntlets, and then use Army of Sparta magic to fend off opponents, before finishing them off with the Nemesis Whip.

Indeed, the scale of the game is probably the most impressive aspect of “God of War 3”. Battling gods on top of Titans while other Titans are climbing Mount Olympus and watery horses rise up to try to drown Kratos – it can be a bit overwhelming.

It is difficult to stop playing at any given point in the game. Even after boss battles, I find the story pulling me along to the next sequence without feeling rushed. This is a game that I want to play because I will enjoy the challenges, battles and cinematics. But more than anything, I want to know how it ends. And that’s what compels me to go forward.

Dereyck Moore, a member of our Digital Business Integration team, waited in line last night for his own copy of the game, and couldn't wait to start playing. Here are his impressions:

I left the store with my copy in hand at about 12:10 am. By 12:30 am, the PS3 was fired up, and so was I. From the moment the game began, it didn't just feel like watching any old movie, it was a movie of considerable size and scale. It felt "Avatarish."

Scale has always been an integral part of the "God of War" trilogy storytelling, and with the Sony Playstation 3's ability to produce unparalleled graphics and sound, "God of War III" is a complete assault on the senses. Every drop of blood from the hoards of Kratos' victims is visible and distinct, as is the way he can dismember one of them, or one hundred of them. The scenes depicted bring many of the traditional Greek mythological buildings and characters to life in breathtaking detail and artistry.

Did I mention the sound? The game does an outstanding job of accentuating the strength, might and willpower of its central figure to endure all that he sees and experiences. No titan is too large, and no foe is too gigantic to deter the will of Kratos, and it sounds like it. As he fights his way through these unimaginable worlds, the detail of every crunch, every grunt and every blade slicing an enemy can be heard perfectly in stunning quality. At the same time, his footsteps in a darkened corridor or an enormous chamber reflect the depth of the space compared to the action he's facing, and those sounds are equally as impeccable. The game's music soundtrack completes the mood, and it is also outstanding.

Have you gotten your hands on "GOW III" yet? If so, what do you think so far?

Filed under: Geek Out! • video games

Steve J   March 16th, 2010 2:39 pm ET

EA Santa Barbara??? FAIL!!!

James   March 16th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

>EA Santa Barbara

Seriously?!

lfrum   March 16th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

sorry Steve. totally my bad on that one.

at least it wasn't Santa Claus. 🙂 thanks for the call-out.

LMAO   March 16th, 2010 3:06 pm ET

EA ? what world they live in?

JB   March 16th, 2010 3:09 pm ET

It's Sony Santa Monica:/

Double fail

Avrailer   March 16th, 2010 3:16 pm ET

Santa Monica Santa Barbara whats the difference?? they're boht in Cali right? J/K

PiercedPsycho   March 16th, 2010 3:24 pm ET

My husband and I were the first ones in line at our local Gamestop at 10 pm last night to get that game, and we got the first one at EXACTLY 12. It took a grand total of six minutes to drive home and get started. Thanks to a previous deal we had made, I had the great honor of playing it first. I beat the game in one sitting, after 7 1/2 hours of non-stop gaming.

GOW III was the sole reason my husband and I bought a PS3 last year, in anticipation for this game, and we were not disappointed. This was truly one of the best games I've ever played, if not THE best.

BigGamer   March 16th, 2010 3:30 pm ET

7.5 hours? Thats it? thats all the game-play? For a highly anticipated PS3 game that's really weak...I mean even if you try your hardest and beat a game like Fall-Out 3 without doing any side quests it at least nets you at 10...and that is if you know where you are going. Blah...if this is all PS3 owners have to look forward too i'm sorry...

Andrew   March 16th, 2010 3:46 pm ET

I agree, 7.5 hours is something I'm not wasting my money on. Maybe when it's in the $19.99 I will. The game seems like just a more eye-candied rehash of the previous two, but I can't really throw stones because I'm looking forward to StarCraft 2 with the same vigor people have been anticipating GOW3. In any case it's so sad that PC gaming is back-burner. I can only imagine how awesome this game would look on a prime system rocking a serious GPU...

MAXIMUS   March 16th, 2010 3:56 pm ET

You guys are so silly. First of all, for the folks finishing the game in 7.5 hours....did you played in EASY mode, or the difficult mode. Because on the difficult mode the waterhorse killed me like....100 times!! Anyway, it's not about the 7.5 hours.....its about the quality of those 7.5 hours!!!! I also got the game at midnight and could only play for a couple of hours since I had an early meeting.....the 2 hours that I played are recorded in mind in every detail. For those two hours my jaw was almost on the floor....this is an amazing game. This is the main reason why I got the PS3...and I'm very happy about it.

Gobbles   March 16th, 2010 4:55 pm ET

Not one review I have read complained about a 7.5 hour game....and I guarantee you that would have been the A#1 thing in the review if all it took was 7.5 hours to beat it. They have been a little over twice that in the past. I can see that happening on easy mode, but not even on normal mode, especially if you were trying to find and unlock everything. All GoW games will ask you if you want easy mode if you die too many times in a row...gotta be careful not to select yes because you can't go back.

Joe   March 16th, 2010 5:22 pm ET

How about a review from someone that didn't "buy the PS3 just for this game". No offence but those kind of statements make me think you have a stake in thinking the game is "amazing". Psychology 101, if a person has an emotional or physically stake in something there views will be dramatically skewed.

Papasmurf   March 16th, 2010 5:32 pm ET

Spoiler

Also, the way you kill Poseidan early on is one of the most creative things I've seen in a long time.

Jon   March 16th, 2010 5:44 pm ET

I beat the game on difficult in 3.75 hours....and unlocked everything the game has to offer. Total waste.

Papasmurf   March 16th, 2010 5:45 pm ET

BS, sorry

Jason   March 16th, 2010 5:46 pm ET

I haven't been waiting just for this game, but it is a amazing game, it sucks you in from the start, you are in the action as soon as you say new game. If you like a lot of action, blood and violence this game is for you, Kratos is on a straight line to the top of Olympus and he is killing everything on his way up. This is a non-stop game full of action. The game is great at tying up loose ends and finishing up the trilogy.

Jon   March 16th, 2010 5:47 pm ET

Ummmmmmm...not BS...sorry

the Horse Spawn   March 16th, 2010 6:05 pm ET

worst game of the year. Dont belive the hype. play left 4 dead 2 its way better

Jason   March 16th, 2010 6:14 pm ET

Wow the hype? I find it funny how people are trying to talk smack about this game, like all the magazines and websites are wrong about the review of this game, the reviews are in and they are all good. This game isn't over hyped, if you own a PS3 and want a good game you should pick this up.

mr bueno   March 16th, 2010 6:25 pm ET

god of war rock its awsome i just got my copy ps3 rules

ya right   March 16th, 2010 6:41 pm ET

All of the Xbox fanboys talking smack over the best game of the year....lol.....4 disc FFXIII vs 1 BR Disc on PS3. GOW III alone makes the PS3 worth every penny. I am sorry that you want to trade your junkbox 360 for a real gaming system (PS3) now that the developers are understanding the true power of the PS3 and how to program for it. Flame all you want but I would rather wait for real games then have a company pump out horrible junk one after the other just to keep my customers happy. I forsee Xbox on the floor with Sega in a few years, forgoten and not missed! Thank You Sony!

Im calling you out   March 16th, 2010 6:57 pm ET

I beat the game in 4 minutes!

Hexx   March 16th, 2010 6:59 pm ET

Man, this page reeks of fanboyism. To each their own, quit nitpicking about each system. If I recall, Bayonetta played like crap on the PS3, but was awesome on the 360. I own BOTH systems and enjoy playing BOTH. Go buy the game, have fun, and shut up, seriously.

GOW3 looks sweet, been waiting for this game ever since I beat the first two. have fun folks!

Jon   March 16th, 2010 7:01 pm ET

Played the demo...it was "meh". Nothing to "ZOMG" about.

Hunt   March 16th, 2010 7:42 pm ET

Do you keep all your weapons after you beat the game? If the answer is yes, what did I do wrong?

Michael Francis   March 16th, 2010 8:10 pm ET

you guys are dumb, video games are for the weak.

Jessica*   March 17th, 2010 1:03 am ET

I love God Of War – I'm not really good at video games but my boyfriend plays and he is always trying to get me to play too. I just played God of War 1 & 2 and beat them probably a month ago. I'm only just now playing San Andreas (Yeah I know...REALLY OLD lol). I don't keep up much with video games but I'm stoked for GOW III and will probably go pick it up tomorrow!! Yay I'm excited!

JACKO   March 17th, 2010 2:09 am ET

God of war 3 seems really cool, but I have to beat FF XIII first. 30 hours in, chapter 10

Joe Mama   March 17th, 2010 6:18 am ET

What's GOW 111?

Joe Mama   March 17th, 2010 6:20 am ET

I beat God of War 3 before I even left the store. BEAT THAT!

Joe Mama   March 17th, 2010 6:21 am ET

Did I mention I work @ GameStop and my mom was late picking me up?

Alex   March 17th, 2010 6:23 am ET

@Jessica: Marry me.

BG   March 17th, 2010 6:55 am ET

I love the God of War series and wish I could play this game. I only have a 360 but I'm not sure the need to play one game is enough to shell out $300 bucks for a brand new system. Guess I'll have to just be patient until things become a bit more affordable.

Lou   March 17th, 2010 8:31 am ET

Until they bring this out on the PC......I'll stick to my World Of Warcraft!!!

bob   March 17th, 2010 9:35 am ET

pretty bad article. i could of written it myself and im a complete amateur. also, calling stuff "nerdy" is kind of a bad position to put yourself in. your basically calling the people who are interested in your little essay a bunch of loosers. the video game industry has grown well beyond the stereotypical little geek cliche it was several decades ago, but i wouldnt really expect CNN to realize that.

alex   March 17th, 2010 9:49 am ET

wow its so surprising to find out that so many people are hating on somthing that most likely is a great game

chulonyc   March 17th, 2010 10:32 am ET

Seriously all fanboyism aside this game is truly great and the beginning of the game is more epic then whole games put together frm start to end. The graphics are some of the best and i am a proud owner of UC2 and Killzone 2and Heavy Rain so i can compare. I got the game yesterday and As soon as i started i was hooked and didnt want to let go of the joystick the only reason i did was bcus it was 2 in the morning and had to go to work. I stopped playing for a few to play MW2 of course lol and my girlfreind begged me to put it back on to see what would happen next. All she kept saying was "this game is awesome" (she said the same bout Heavy Rain). Honestly games like these make you appreciate your console and dont make you think twice about the 500 (i got ps3 at launch) you spent bcus in the end it was well worth it. If you havent played this game seriously its one of the best.

Brent   March 17th, 2010 10:48 am ET

I am playin tennis on my atari...it never ends...

sparesoul   March 17th, 2010 11:25 am ET

Here's the trick to getting the most out of God of War 3... Play past the first hour or so, then save your game. Go and talk to your friends about what you enjoyed about it. Go outside and get some sunlight and maybe some fresh air. Stretch for a few minutes and, I don't know, maybe take a walk. Eat an apple and drink water ( not mountain dew ). Then... if you're really that hard up for adventure, go back and play for another hour or two. If you aren't getting enough gameplay out of it, go ahead and up the difficulty. SPOILER ALERT: easy is called easy for a reason.

DARK   March 17th, 2010 11:32 am ET

The game is 10 to 12 hours long; I beat the game in 11 hours in normal mode

dkeat   March 17th, 2010 12:05 pm ET

I am playing on Hard and dying lots. At this rate, I will most likely have to start over on Normal in order to return it on time to Blockbuster on Sunday. Some of these boss battles feel like they never end... especially when you're holding on with barely any health and no magic.

tom   March 17th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

God of War III for Game of the Year.
This game is awesome. You know a game is good when you buy a console solely to play it.
Also when reviewers have to nitpick just to lower the overall score, yet it still a universally acclaimed game.
10/10 in my book.

mike 2727   March 18th, 2010 11:30 am ET

I own a Ps3 and a xbox360 im a BIG fan of the 360 destroying everything from both mass effect (and waiting for the third) and playing the crap out of modern warfare both1 and 2 all on the 360 so to all the haters out there i love the 360 BUT and a big one it is god of war 3 prabably one of the best games Ive ever played in my life that takes the cake and if you tell me you beat that game in 7.5 hours on any mode other than easy my freand i hav to call you a LIER once again a big one and if you did beat it on easy please know i consider you a BIG SISSY

JoJo211   March 18th, 2010 8:39 pm ET

Jon the demo was out like 6 months before the game thats why it sucked it was incomplete the demo play isnt even close to the game play you would know that if you just stoped runnin your mouth and went out and bought it.God Of War 3 best game for the ps3 so far other than madden 10 and Haze.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:01 pm ET

For all you people crying about how quick people beat the game I think you can agree on that this god of war had less play time then the first two and that is because they put so much into the look of the game and the graphics. Even tho its on blueray thats what takes up all the room on the disc other examples are metal gear solid 4,and grand theft auto IV there predecessors on ps2 took way longer to beat then on the ps3.Im a huge god of war fan and i think this was the best game so far and looked the best but there was way less game to play thats the only down fall.And for all you cry babies i playd it on Titan(Hard),then Chaos (Very Hard) and it only took about 10hrs the first time and 12hrs the second.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:06 pm ET

wow just wrote a page long comment and cnn didnt post it why even comment then.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:07 pm ET

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:07 pm ET

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:08 pm ET

nope couldnt even put it in in two parts forget it

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:10 pm ET

wont go in even in two parts forget it then

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 9:14 pm ET

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 11:05 pm ET

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 11:08 pm ET

Im a huge god of war fan and I think this was the best game so far and looked the best but there was way less game to play thats the only down fall.And for all you cry babies i playd it on Titan(Hard),then Chaos (Very Hard) and it only took about 10hrs the first time and 12hrs the second time.

Jeffrey Part2   March 18th, 2010 11:15 pm ET

Im a huge God Of War fan and I think this was the best game so far. Also looked the best out of the three but there was way less game to play thats the only down fall.And for all you cry babies I playd it on Titan(Hard),then Chaos (Very Hard) and it only took about 10hrs the first time and 12hrs the second.

Jeffrey   March 18th, 2010 11:21 pm ET

I never knew it was this hard to post online it puts half of what I wanted to say or none of what I wanted to say I hope they delete my other posts and just put this one up because this is what I was trying to say in the first place.If not ignore my other posts thank you Jeffrey.

Joe   March 19th, 2010 1:12 am ET

Its pretty good. Well polished. A bit linear and scripted. Which is great only the first time you sit through said script

steve   March 20th, 2010 4:41 pm ET

I can not believe they do not let you keep all your weapons and magic on the second play through. This is what made god of war 1&2 so awsome. That on the second playthrough you could really play the game as if you were a god and crush everybody. Not taking anything away from the game and the first playthrough wich is by far the best god of war. What a disappointmen, the whole time I was playing i was thinking about the second plathrough with all your god powers. I'll never play thhe game all the way through again.

God of War   March 22nd, 2010 7:31 pm ET

Jon, no you didnt beat the game in less than 4 hours, it would take 2 hours just to find the unlockables... and i know that you didnt beat the game in 1 1/2 ok, and this is not a place to disgrace on the game and say it was a "total waste"...keep those horrid and ignorant comments to yourself. Knowbody wants to hear your lies because you died 347 times facing a minotaur .

Tony   March 25th, 2010 3:25 pm ET

I think iam the first guy in Africa to hv it, anywho after Gow3 i think my ps3 wil just be a BD prayer. Gow3+hd+me=to the best thing ever made to be seen!!

Tony   March 25th, 2010 3:26 pm ET

I think iam the first guy in Nairobi to hv it, anywho after Gow3 i think my ps3 wil just be a BD prayer. Gow3+hd+me=to the best thing ever made to be seen!!

Michael   June 20th, 2010 1:33 am ET

Just came upon your review and noticed that Larry mentioned defeating Apollo. You didn't fight Apollo in GOW 3. You may have been thinking about Peirithous. You gain the Bow of Apollo from Peirithous but you don't actually fight Apollo.

“God of War: Ghost of Sparta” adds to epic story | Gamers Notes   November 2nd, 2010 8:02 am ET

[...] Read CNN.com staffers' take on "God of War III." [...]

Matt   January 14th, 2011 12:21 pm ET

Dude i just beat God of War 3, the graphics, the fighting, weapons are all Awesome

Leave Your Comment