SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 18, 2010

Google entering the 'smart TV' market, reports say

Posted: 03:09 PM ET

The Web search giant, along with Intel and Sony, would integrate applications like Twitter and the Picasa photo site onto TV screens, according to the New York Times and Wall Street Journal.

Both reports attributed news of the project, said to be in its early stages, to unnamed sources. Google did not return a message from CNN seeking comment.

Google would open its Android smartphone operating system to developers to use for the television project, according to the reports.

Projects based on the software could begin popping up as early as this summer, the Times reported.

The move would follow several established companies and some startups working to more fluidly combine Web content and television viewing.

Earlier this month, TiVo announced that subscribers will be able to pull Internet content, music and movies onto their televisions more easily with a new Premiere service.

The "Boxee Box," which won the title of "Last Gadget Standing" at January's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, lets users search and store Web content and either play it on television or share it on social-networking sites.

California-based company Roku has also rolled out a digital video player that integrates television, Web content and a video library.

What do you think? Would you welcome Google's entry into the TV business?

Posted by:
Filed under: consumer tech • Google • television

Vincent in Charlotte   March 18th, 2010 6:21 pm ET

AM   March 18th, 2010 7:14 pm ET

What ISN'T google doing?

They are getting in the phone business, high speed internet, now TV, and i'm sure other things too.

What's left on the to-do list? Take over the world?

qud   March 18th, 2010 7:29 pm ET

all I know about google is now we will de

Tedster   March 18th, 2010 7:50 pm ET

Yes, of course. Google does so many things right. Cabel companies rule the world and pricing is exhorbitant. Besides, who doesnt want to see Google Earth with 3-D Glasses.

Char   March 18th, 2010 8:01 pm ET

It would be nice if one could monetize content that is being consumed somehow so folks who have lots of videos they'd like to share can earn a little money from it. And if viewers could tag content they like and share it with their friends that would help increase the revenue stream.

Rick   March 18th, 2010 8:09 pm ET

Apple already has all that and more. Infact it joins all your media together seamlessly.

bill gates   March 18th, 2010 10:03 pm ET

twitter on tv? dumb

Kyle   March 18th, 2010 11:11 pm ET

FLOP....you hear that? That's Google's idea in 3 years.

Yourstruly1980   March 18th, 2010 11:31 pm ET

Apple has commented on the status of haiti relief. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive. not all comments will be posted. Opinions work with us tools and widgets blogs radio site maps forecasting future thoughts submission will help more bloggers and stop iReports or Ireporting. not all comments will be posted. policy on procedures mainstream media. deemed necessary for

michelle D   March 19th, 2010 12:04 am ET

hmmm i beg differ with some of these comments here..we all know someone that has a "complete" entertainment system in their home ie hsi connected to their TV.this just kicks it up a few notches lol

Ralf The Dog   March 19th, 2010 1:39 am ET

"Gotta say, I love the Roku player. A set-top box that streams content from a huge library (Netflix) seems to be the way to go over blue-ray players and dealing with hard-copied media.

The only exception would be if you really liked the content and wanted to own it...but really, how many movies do we need to *own*?"

Downloadable content is acceptable for some things. I download TV shows from iTunes in HD, then watch them on my Apple TV.

When you are watching movies, you want much better quality with higher bit depths and uncompressed audio. Unfortunately, downloaded media can't match this quality. People don't have the bandwidth. No one wants to spend three days downloading a movie.

Downloads are great for the episode of Lost you missed. They don't make the grade when you invite all your friends over for movies.

Sunder   March 19th, 2010 1:55 am ET

give me content exactly what I want and charge me for what I see... will be great if google can do that.

Rick Tuinenburg   March 19th, 2010 2:50 am ET

I am liking the new Tivo Premier, its got the best of all worlds....

– HD
– Big Hard Drive
– Shares with all Tivo units
– Remote Programming
– Export to other devices (ie: iphone, computer, etc)
– Netflix streaming
– Amazon streaming VOD
– DVR Live TV
– CableCard so you can access Paychannels on Cable Service
– Can intergrate the web

Only downfall only records 2 channels at the same time, but if you get another tivo unit for another tv set then you would have 4.

dhenayu   March 19th, 2010 2:57 am ET

what google do next? video call on tv?

marie   March 19th, 2010 3:13 am ET

yes 1oo % i flag google to enter TVcoz i work in saudi arabia to see our family on tv will help us .my old parents & kids ha GODhelp google

Sandugash Zilgadeshgova   March 19th, 2010 3:47 am ET

Google is my fave.The coolest search engine.The word google itself demostrates awesomeness!!!!

John Conner   March 19th, 2010 4:01 am ET

Google = SkyNet

kurt becker   March 19th, 2010 4:16 am ET

Just another bunch of couch potatoes getting larger by the day. Let's all ogle at google.

Tek.PeanutButterNews.com » Google entering the ’smart TV’ market, reports say   March 19th, 2010 5:17 am ET

[...] Full Story at SciTechBlog.CNN.com Google and its partners are looking to become the latest players to beam Web content onto your television, according to media reports. [...]

Kevin Cassidy   March 19th, 2010 5:17 am ET

fine

Pete   March 19th, 2010 6:44 am ET

You can "own" content via the roku box if you buy it digitally through AMAZON.

gabylato   March 19th, 2010 7:39 am ET

Loving it!

John Sonpull   March 19th, 2010 8:14 am ET

anything is better than Time Warner Cable...

go for it Google/Apple/whoever....just fix the model and charge me for what i watch and you'll destroy the cable companies.

AP   March 19th, 2010 8:26 am ET

Google is Skynet

Matt   March 19th, 2010 8:41 am ET

Just another avenue for them to datamine even more your personal habits.

Payo   March 19th, 2010 8:54 am ET

I'm in love with my AppleTV. So far, Google has not been able to beat Apple at inovation but I do welcome the idea. For all of those who have not seen an AppleTV, I really suggest getting one. Its one of those things that once you have one, you can't live without it.

Mary   March 19th, 2010 9:10 am ET

Three years ago when my husband's job "went south" (to Mexico) we had to streamline our finances. The first thing to go was our satellite TV. Being a houseful of techie-sorts, we studied how to hook a TV up to a computer, took a system we already had and hooked it to the livingroom TV and instantly fell in love with on-demand television. Though it was harder back then because there were fewer sites offering our favorite shows, we quickly learned how to find them. When finances got a little better I invested in Netflix which provides instant watch.

We never looked back. Recently we took a vote. Even now that we can afford it, none of us want to return to satellite.

WAYNE KEDGE   March 19th, 2010 9:12 am ET

YEPPER !!!
LET IT ALL COME B4 I LEAVE THIS GREAT EARTH AFTER 74 YEARS NOW! WANT TO KNOW AND DO MORE FROM MY HOME;;;THANKX WAYNE

Tk   March 19th, 2010 9:46 am ET

Google will run for president one day and win..

Friday’s Conversation Topics | aLoveLinksPlus Blog   March 19th, 2010 9:55 am ET

[...] Unnamed sources say that Google, along with Sony and the processor manufacturer Intel will be working together to bring parts of [...]

ROI   March 19th, 2010 10:55 am ET

I have a gigabit network (wired) throughout my home. I did the install myself. I have a patch panel, clients and a slow server which I would gladly upgrade to facilitate the broadcasting. Google is great. Get rid of my cable bill (and eliminate my T.V.s all together. Computer monitors would work) and I would be forever loyal, and your biggest fan. Make Milwaukee a test ground for a gigabit infrastructure and well,........what can I say? Oh yes,.....Google is great.

annoying   March 19th, 2010 11:19 am ET

i think its time to move on and use internet, traditional communication is too old and complicated to use

Google y la TV inteligente   March 19th, 2010 11:42 am ET

[...] scitech.blogs.cnn.com Comparte con quien tu [...]

ertybird   March 19th, 2010 12:27 pm ET

Of course the Apple-bots have to pipe in. How many people do you know that have Apple TV. Let me think....none that I know of.

CSM   March 19th, 2010 1:20 pm ET

I'm not interested in what Google is doing however I am interested in a more robust experience and functionality in Apple TV.

TxM2xTx   March 19th, 2010 3:56 pm ET

Sure I would welcome it. There's hardly anything else on tv. I can use some apps during annoying commercials ;-))

Brian   March 19th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

Google does everything better than Apple. If apple TV is the bar, an ant could vault it.

Milan in Verona, ON, Canada   March 19th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

Google TV sounds great, but it will have to wait a few dozen years for the intenet speeds to catch up. Ever try watching You-tube video on a dial-up line??? We are slowly getting up to speed with wi-max systems, but that is borderline broadband. Fiber will never reach us in my lifetime!

Edea   March 22nd, 2010 3:04 am ET

Google is the best; they share technology when others just look for profit. I bet the operating system they are developing will be have the price of Windows & twice the power! All they need now is a shoe; like the LeBron James AirMax 7...lol

Anonymously   April 2nd, 2010 3:55 pm ET

Here is how Google TV works;

The Logitech part of the effort is a wireless display containing Google chrome browser, you click TV objects and have the related web page display on the wireless display. The wireless display also contains the EPG. The system provides a new advertising model that takes advantage of the environment that provides both the 2 foot and the 10 foot experience. It’s smart and resolves convergence once and for all. This is the mainstream PC/STB of the future and enables Google to control most TV advertising of the future as well as the platform.

pubspears   April 19th, 2010 11:51 am ET

[...] By cwspears http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/18/google-entering-the-smart-tv-market-reports-say/ [...]

mac dvd creator   July 7th, 2010 5:37 pm ET

Excuse, I can help nothing. But it is assured, that you will find the correct decision. Do not despair.

Faith Simmons   July 12th, 2010 12:33 pm ET

so what would be the hottest consumer elecdtronic items for the year 2010?.-~

Kyle Griffin   October 6th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

the best video player that i use is none other than VLC Player, it is free and i think it is open source too-;~

Molly Moore   October 10th, 2010 3:52 pm ET

consumer electronics like camera phones are getting more and more popular these days-,:

Welder work    October 20th, 2010 7:04 pm ET

there are so many hardware and software video players on the market these days, sometimes it is hard to select;-;

Skin detox :   October 22nd, 2010 9:13 pm ET

i like new consumber electronic products specially the ones featured on CES events`.-

http://howtolosefatandburnfat.com   September 20th, 2011 11:51 am ET

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks!

Gardinen online   October 6th, 2011 2:39 am ET

Gardinen online shop !!!

Best Testosterone Booster   January 24th, 2014 6:22 am ET

I love what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the good works guys I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

Micheline Trafton   February 16th, 2016 7:03 am ET

I love the dolphin saving you one.

Leave Your Comment