SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 26, 2010

Geek Out!: New Nintendo handheld goes for bigger, better

Posted: 10:02 AM ET

Editor's note: Geek Out! posts feature the latest and most interesting in nerd-culture news. From scifi and fantasy to gadgets and science, if you can geek out over it you can find it on Geek Out! Look for Geek Out! posts on CNN's Marquee and SciTech blogs

Is bigger better?  Or is it just bigger?  Nintendo is banking that their latest handheld console – the DSi XL – will be both.

The Nintendo DSi XL is similar in many ways to its little brother, the DSi.  The configuration of the buttons and screens are the same as are the camera tools, Internet connections and available software.

What sets the two apart is the size.  The XL version is 93 percent larger than the regular handhelds.  The new screens measure 4.2 inches diagonally and the closed unit grew to 6.3 inches wide by 3.6 inches tall.

Nintendo is counting on the increased size to promote family fun.  With the smaller DSi, gamers hunched over their consoles to focus in on the action on little screens.

With larger screens and an improved wider viewing angle, Nintendo hopes to make it easier for friends and family to watch and join in on the game.

“For some people, good things come in big packages,” Nintendo executive vice president Cammie Dunaway said. “This new portable system really lets players enjoy the fun together.”

The XL comes pre-loaded with three titles: "Brain Age Express: Math," "Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters," and "Photo Clock."  Nintendo is also releasing 2 new titles at the same time, "America’s Test Kitchen: Let’s Get Cooking" and "WarioWare: D.I.Y.," which it hopes will highlight the advantages of the larger screen.

I got my hands on the new XL and it definitely felt better than the smaller version.  It felt solid and didn’t feel like it was going to snap apart in my hands [not that I’m a strong guy, but I am destructive].

There are no new features other than size.  But the size difference makes itself felt when you power up the device and load some software.

The new screens made it easier on the eyes to enjoy my games.  "Flipnote Studio," a program that allows you to draw and animate, became easier to work on finer details in my art.  Gameplay jumps out of the screen and finesse seems more manageable.

Nintendo said the DS handheld (Lite and DSi combined) sold 11.2 million systems in 2009 in the U.S. alone.  It said they sold 30 million DS units in Japan during their last fiscal year, so they have a large market to entice with their latest device.

However, Nintendo just announced that they would be launching a 3-D version of their DS handheld sometime before April 2011.  Will gamers go big or go 3-D?

The Nintendo DSi XL will be available on March 28.

UPDATE (Tuesday): Nintendo announced that games on older handheld consoles cannot transfer over to the new DSi XL. The company said DSiWare games and points would have to be repurchased on the new XL console.

Nintendo of America released this statement: "The games and applications are specific to each system, not each user. We’re looking into that specific topic, but we don’t have anything to announce at this time."

Posted by:
Filed under: Geek Out! • Nintendo • video games

J   March 26th, 2010 11:06 am ET

They aren't selling a whole lot in the US, so why make another gameboy? The DSi XL is going to soon be aval. but they are making another gameboy before April 2011? Then whats the point in buying a gameboy DSi XL now when I can just wait a year and get the newer one...

Shawn   March 26th, 2010 11:48 am ET

I feel with smart phones with apps and now the ipad, that gameboys are soon going to be a thing of the past. Why pay 30 dollars for a game when you can buy 30 apps for the same price that will keep you entertained?

Dave Yaeck   March 26th, 2010 11:49 am ET

I agree, I believe the DSi is a bust anyway since they took away the ability to play the older games they are not as versatile. Plus you can't play any of the Guitar Hero games on the DSi. What we need is a new Wii!!

yoyomah   March 26th, 2010 11:52 am ET

The whole 3D thing is a total fad – it offers little towards actual gameplay enjoyment. Waste of time, by most accounts. Companies should be focusing on nailing down a fun game before worrying about retarded 3D. Nuff said.

Anna   March 26th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Actually I prefer my DS over an iphone/ipod. As for Guitar Hero, it's as overrated as WOW. (I've played both). And I've seen the wii, it's overrated too. Plus I prefer playing the classic games like Tetris, Frogger, and Pokemon. Sure my ipod keeps me entertained at work but at home I'd play my DS. So all in all, the DS is my prefered console (over my ipod, psp, and ps3)

Nope   March 26th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Gameboy really? The Gameboy has nothing to do with the DS, DSi, or DSi XL. They are separate products and the Gameboy brand and the DS brand are separate product lines.

Rick   March 26th, 2010 12:13 pm ET

The comment that says why buy one now when you can get a newer next year has obviously never bought anything to do with technology there is always a faster computer, better MP3 player, Bigger better TV, Bigger monitors, better video games etc etc.. every year.

It is how technology works. If you wait as year because something better is coming out you will never buy anything.

Gb   March 26th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

Not selling a lot in the US? Did you read the article. 11.2 in 2009 in the US. I think it is THE BEST SELLING system when you put it along side the other consoles.

As far phones taking over. Well maybe some day, but as of now, the gaming on phones is pretty crappy, and I don't know where you are getting all the $1 games.

D   March 26th, 2010 12:24 pm ET

If you have large hands then this is great. Nintendo's obviously got grown-up kids in mind.

John   March 26th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

I think Nintendo is still trying to capture that 6-14yr old market... Most of these kids are too young for an I-phone, so they settle for a DS... Anyone above the age of 18 who has an I-phone is very unlikely to go out and buy a DS, DSXI or whatever! I-phone will remain the dominant hand held toy. Nintendo is very adamant on owning this hand held market (6-14yr). Final Word! I-phone is KING! Nintendo will always remain #2 in terms of a race with the I-Phone.. My prediction is once Smart Phones catch up to the I-Phones technology, app stores will appear everywhere, this is where and when Nintendos DS gadget will be in trouble...

Matt   March 26th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

I see this for what it is: A desperate attempt by Nintendo to try and gain back some of the market from Sony's PSP. I've had a PSP for years, and my step-son swtiched from DS to PSP once he saw the large, backlit screen and better controls.

PSP rules.

ABB123   March 26th, 2010 12:44 pm ET

yeah, what's with all these "gameboy" references- people- gameboy hasn't been around for years-if you're still calling it a gameboy you shouldn't be commenting on this story– the DS/DSi took over a while ago. And as for why people would pay 30 bucks for a game when they can get it free or cheaper on an iphone/ipod touch? Um.... cause maybe people think touch screen games on the iPhone/iPod touch suck? Maybe we have standards for our video games and don't mind coughing up a couple dollars (30 is not a lot). i don't wanna be touching a digital control pad on that tiny screen –i want a real control pad not located on the screen i'm trying to look at. I don't get all the talk about how great iPhone games are... clearly written by people who have never played actual or good video games before.

Brian   March 26th, 2010 12:49 pm ET

I'm over 18, own an iPhone and a PSP and I'm still planning on buying a DS or DSi. I love my old school RPG's (Like Dragon Quest/Warrior) and the DS is a haven for great remakes of those, as well as being the release platform for Dragon Quest IX. If anything, the PSP is more notorious for releasing different versions over a short span of time (and Apple isn't much better, let's face it).

I agree 3D is a fad – I'm not worried about buying a DSi/DS then having to have the 3D.

But saying the iPhone will take out a DS/DSi market share? C'mon – two different machines with two very different purposes.

Anon   March 26th, 2010 12:53 pm ET

Game boy.... lol

PSP Man   March 26th, 2010 12:54 pm ET

I don't mind the DS family but I prefer to be able to do more with my handheld device, which is why I prefer the PSP, over every other handheld. The PSP runs you as low as 130.00 bucks and then you can buy a 32 Gig Mem Stick Duo for about 100.00 Bucks. So total 230.00 and you've got your hands on a powerful little device. Skype, Web Browser, Games, Movies, Pictures, Digital Comics and Music. I've got this setup and currently I have about 900 Songs, 25 Games (Minis, Psp Games, and Ps1 Games), 20 Comics, and I still have 13 Gig left over. I bet I could get more songs on it than an Ipod Nano. Hands down a great combination with a ps3. DS is great fun don't get me wrong but it's the type of player you're looking to be. All games and web or EVERYTHING.

Rob L   March 26th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

I have both a Nintendo DS lite and an iPhone. When I'm at work or somewhere that I need to pass time in a hurry I use my iPhone for some cheap thrills. When I'm somewhere with a little more time I play my DS. There are plenty of people out there with reasons to use both. I was 10 years old when Pokemon hit it big in America (The same age that Ash was in the anime) and my brother and I have purchased each new Pokemon game as they have come out for nostalgic purposes. There will always be a wide market for entertainment. There will never be one pocket sized entertainment device to rule them all.

LovePanda   March 26th, 2010 12:56 pm ET

All the references to the DS being a Gameboy just makes me giggle. Just shows you how much people actually pay attention to detail. DS Lite is pretty magnificent. Not gonna touch the DSi. The "improvements" just seem so ridiculous, but hey, it's progress.... right? I agree with the 3D thing being a fad, total waste of money.

And if I want to play a Playstation game, I'm hauling out the PS2.

Realist   March 26th, 2010 12:59 pm ET

The DS line of products has sold over 100 million units world wide....it's miles ahead of anything else in the handheld market.

I've never seen more comments from people who have no clue.

Laura B.   March 26th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

If you think that Gameboys are going away anytime soon then you obviously are not a parent nor around many children. Every child that I know has or wants one of these things! Gameboys are here to stay. Nintendo has always geared their products towards children and families and that trend continues to remain strong.

Gastronomo   March 26th, 2010 1:13 pm ET

I think people just use Gameboy as a catch-all term, much like older people used to use "Nintendo" when describing any game console.

As for the next iteration of the DS, yes it will be coming out within a year. It's not just the 3D that has people excited, as there has been rumors that it will have the equivalent graphical power of a Gamecube. This has my interest piqued more than the 3D.

Personally, I'll be buying a DSi XL now, and the new DS a year or two after it's released.

jm   March 26th, 2010 1:15 pm ET

Nintendo has always been number 1 in handhelds sales wise IN THE WORLD...
over 100 million units.

I love these kids who pull numbers out of their ass.

Bram   March 26th, 2010 1:19 pm ET

I am going big-already preordered. That being said, if the 3D ds has the same sized screen, I may just do both. The smaller screen was a PITA having to hold it at the perfect angle to se the game.

Buzz   March 26th, 2010 1:20 pm ET

Maybe you people should all grow the #%*& up and move out of your parents' house. Then you wouldn't have so much free time to worry about your stupid Nintendo/Sony toys.

Bram   March 26th, 2010 1:30 pm ET

ROFL Buzz (is that lightyear?) .I am a 46 yr old person who owns my own homes as well as all DS handheld, PS3, Wii,XBoxes.... lol I guess I can afford em!

Sean   March 26th, 2010 1:50 pm ET

Its funny people say their sales are bad and only for kids, haha! I don't own one buuut 11 mill is the same number of ps3 sold TOTAL since launch in US. xbox360 sold 17m, so its pretty close on their heels too. and this is just a hand held console. I got these numbers from another article on ccn.money.

Their doing a great job. Plus $30 games are great. ps3 games start at $60 and same fun value (I know not the same quality but I mean in terms of the fun you have with them). I've played my friends DS and some of the games are amazing.

Also people comparing it to an Iphone is stupid. They are completely different devises for different purposes.

LovePanda   March 26th, 2010 2:05 pm ET

I also do not live with my parents. My house has all the classic consoles and current gen, respectable lives to go with them. We don't have a lot of time to play, but we can still care about video games as much as a teenager. Everyone has their own escape and games are great for that. I hope I am still playing Atari2600 when I'm 70!

NC   March 26th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

Thanks Bram...I too have my own place; have since I can remember and I am a 37 year old WOMAN! I own XBOX, PS2/3, Nintendo DS a gaming PC, a netbook and a laptop I like to game on and yet I still find the time to have an enjoyable life outside of all that! It seems BUZZ (must be lightyear), you need to learn to have some fun and balance in your own life before telling others to grow up. And yes, I might get the new DSi!

p jane   March 26th, 2010 2:48 pm ET

RE: DS vs iPhone–Not everyone over the age of 18 WANTS an iPhone. The coverage in my region is very poor so it would be near worthless as a phone. Several fed-contracted employers in this area do not allow photo-capable devices on premises, again knocking out the iPhone. Just because it IS cheaper to download app than purchase games doesn't mean it's the practical solution for everyone.

Dork   March 26th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

All nerds post here!

Buzz   March 26th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

Grown adults playing with children's toys. Very sad.

EJ   March 26th, 2010 4:00 pm ET

Wow are some of these comments serious? No one over 10 owns a DS and iphones are king of gaming? PSP is number one in market shares in handhelds?

Have anyone even look at the numbers and own all three of these and know what they are talking about before commenting?

I have a DS and well over 10 and have a iphone as well and still prefer my DS to my iphone in the gaming catergory.

The PSP have some good games but it still can't take number one because the DS lite is still backward compatible with the old gameboy games so that still way more games then the psp offers.

I don't agree with nintendo coming out with something new within a year after the XL is release and think its a bad move but they are marketing to owners of the DSi in my opinion.

But seems ppl who comment here don't really know much what they are talking about well most of them and while others just like to flame bait others.

Maggie   March 26th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

I am going to the launch event at the Nintendo World Store Rockefellar Center in NYC tomorrow. Should be great to see new DSI XL. Also heard Alison and Gary from "Nintendo Week" will be there.

Grown Man   March 26th, 2010 4:13 pm ET

"Grown adults playing with children's toys. Very sad."

Too true. These people need to get a clue and realize that life is supposed to be miserable! For example, I whittle when I'm not at work. I don't whittle to make things, I whittle because it makes my hands bleed, which makes me mad. That way I'm properly angry when it's time to scream at things, like when I'm driving, or the pharmacy's taking too long to give me my blood pressure pills.

Get with the program, losers!

Coleman Research Group’s Technology, Media & Telecom department highlights New Nintendo handheld goes for bigger, better and Polaroid instant film is back | Coleman Research Group   March 26th, 2010 4:23 pm ET

[...] Geek Out!: New Nintendo handheld goes for bigger, better [...]

jahlonni   March 26th, 2010 6:14 pm ET

current event for sciene

LovePanda   March 26th, 2010 6:16 pm ET

Some of the best selling video games really aren't for children, so obviously there are enough adults out there who enjoy gaming to warrant so many mature options.

Krehator   March 26th, 2010 11:53 pm ET

The DS sucks not because of its size, but because the game quality is 15 years old! The new one will just be the same crappy 2D graphics on a bigger screen. Additionally the controls are horrible. Anyone at Nintendo ever heard of ergonomics???

This is more likely an attempt to counter piracy again. WHICH WILL FAIL.

Liz   March 27th, 2010 8:51 am ET

A game is game...from sports to board games to electronic games. Why is playing Solitaire any different than playing a video game? Kids to grandparents are playing farm town, among others, on Facebook. Who says there is an age limit on playing and enjoying them? Anyway, I love all the Nintendo products, and I'm really looking forward to the new DS for my family and me. Just a side note, let me tell you how awesome Nintendo is...my daughter's friend dropped her DS and cracked her screen and they sent it to Nintendo and because it was less than a year old, they fixed it quickly, for FREE and shipped it back to her with no shipping costs.

clv100   March 27th, 2010 9:10 am ET

As soon as I heard the DSi XL was coming out, I brought my DS LIte to Gamestop and traded it in! Hopefully I will pick it up tomorrow. The larger screen makes a BIG difference to me. I have an iPhone and a PSP (I love them all) too and a pretty big investment in games for all devices. I have read the DSi XL reviews and for me, this is what I wanted. The big screen sells me.

John   March 27th, 2010 10:30 am ET

Gameboy? LOL. Just stop it, people. As far as the DS, meh.

BigPig   March 27th, 2010 12:34 pm ET

@Matt – "I see this for what it is: A desperate attempt by Nintendo to try and gain back some of the market from Sony's PSP."

Where are you pulling your market share numbers from? Your PSP? Last time I checked Nintendo had substantial market share in hand-held consoles. I don't think this is a "desperate" attempt by Nintendo.

"I've had a PSP for years, and my step-son swtiched from DS to PSP once he saw the large, backlit screen and better controls."

He made the switch because of this? Not because of the games? Did he make a decision just based on fancy buttons and a bright screen?

"Sorry Nintendo, but your DS line is for ages 10 and under. Anyone older than that is playing PSP."

Really? Again, where are you getting your market data from? Or are you just making up this ludicrous fact? Have you even talked to anyone older than 10?

"PSP rules."

Alright. Now I don't know if you are really older than 15 at the most.

Geek Out!: New Nintendo handheld goes for bigger, better - Techistan Publication   March 27th, 2010 1:55 pm ET

[...] http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/26/geek-out-new-nintendo-handheld-goes-for-bigger-better/ Tags: 3-D version, Brain Age Express, Cammie Dunawa, console, D.I.Y, DS handheld, DSi XL, game, [...]

Krehator   March 27th, 2010 2:46 pm ET

Look at gaming trends. It is a constant progression towards more realistic graphics and game immersion. The push towards controller free games is an attempt to satisfy the desires of gamers to be part of the game and within the game, not just a viewer.

Understanding the above, you can clearly see how the DS does not offer anything for the future. Sure, it is a solid gaming platform, with plenty of games. Yes, it has good sales. However, it is a mobile gaming platform, akin to a cell phone.

Could I be wrong? Sure. But I've been gaming for decades and have *little* experience. I'm pretty sure the DS will fade away as full size consoles start offering new groundbreaking features that simply cannot be packed into a hand held.

The PSP is in trouble as well. While it offers way better graphics, its missing second analog stick is the biggest barrier to its success. That has been its main drawback FOR YEARS....... Sony just doesn't understand that playing FPS games sucks without another analog. Every port, such as Army of Two has been a disappointment because of it. FPS games sell, and always have.

The PSP is being limited ONLY BY THE LIMITED VISION OF ITS ENGINEERS. Additionally, the PSP had the potential to include many features which would have turned it into a monster of universal handheld device, but Sony just doesn't get it. That is evident by the 3000 and the PSPGo. The PSP could, if its engineers could ever wake up, pose a significant threat to the iPhone or Android.

The PSP is capable of doing things, and filling so many more purposes, not just gaming, but Sony is stuck in a narrow vision.

AnimeFreak   March 27th, 2010 8:06 pm ET

@ J:

Remember that even though a new one may come out, major game retailers like EB Games/GameStop/etc will all have promotional deals to get discounts for turning in your old unit.

I've done my switch each time a new one has come out. Sure your still paying for something, but atleast, in a Nerdly-Confident manner... "I have all the latest features"😀

Just Me_a_taxpayer   March 27th, 2010 10:49 pm ET

Buzz, you are very lost.

I am over 50 and have been playing games for about 27 years. My game playing was the lead in to a IT career. I still play games when I have the time. I played them with my kids and now my grandkids. The gaming world also created many many jobs. Games also pull in more money then most of Hollywood movies.
I guess Buzz has never got past pacman.
I also own my house, my truck and three motorcycles.

what about you Buzz? you still renting or living with your mommy?

Patrick   March 28th, 2010 1:23 am ET

Whatever,still doesn't even come close to the Sony PSP in every way.

T'   March 28th, 2010 1:24 am ET

These will b a godsend for the little people who love this game, it promotes better health benefits, it will allow less stress on the eyes, better posture and viewing assistance for their friends and family.I believe this will be a plus for all of those 4 year olds who are absolutely addicted to this game and their parents who love them.

Jake   March 28th, 2010 3:52 pm ET

I'm 23 years old, and I hate iPhones. I prefer phones that make phonecalls, send texts, and don't impact my wallet too negatively. The apps that I've seen on iPhones are pretty cool, but they are nowhere near some of the games that are offered on the DS. It's just no contest, DS wins as a handheld gaming console vs. some expensive phone.

Me Hu   March 28th, 2010 6:20 pm ET

"Plus I prefer playing the classic games like Tetris, Frogger, and POKEMON" ... haha, great line. Asteroids? No. Pac Man? No, Catterpillar? No. Pokemon? CLASSIC!!!

Tek.PeanutButterNews.com » Geek Out!: New Nintendo handheld goes for biggger, better   March 29th, 2010 5:09 am ET

[...] Full Story atscitech.blogs.CNN.com Is bigger better? Or is it just bigger? Nintendo is banking that their latest handheld console – the DSi XL – will be both. [...]

Informed   March 29th, 2010 7:42 am ET

Nintendo's newest 3D handheld due to make an appearance at E3 this year in June is the successor to the DS, currently running under the nickname '3DS'. This will be changed to it's real marketing name in June at public introduction. The new system uses a much more powerful processor than the current ARM setup in the DS line, Nvidia's Tegra 2 processor, a 'system on a chip' capable of Nvidia 9 series quality graphics at the handheld level, in 3D, without glasses.

Prepare to be impressed.

just another gamer   March 29th, 2010 7:53 am ET

Wow...
I am still laughing at Buzz and some other PPL. lol
Gameboy... lol
Brings back alot of memories.. ah

Nintendo fan   March 29th, 2010 8:12 am ET

it goes gameboy, virtualboy(fail), gameboy color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, then a whole new ball park Nintendo DS (DS means double screen), DS lite , DSI, and now DSIXL, and a 3-d coming out later it is all fun stuff stop ridicualing nintendo games are the finer things in life and i will enjoy my new DSIXL

Mason   March 29th, 2010 8:14 am ET

@Shawn.

I disagree, I think that while smartphones offer a variety of games, the content is shallow and a much less fulfilling experience. In the same way that laptops still haven't replaced console games, I don't think the gameboy will be obsolete.

Also, think about young kids, they're unlikely to use smartphones, and its unlikely to find a group of kids where at least one of them doesn't have a gameboy... with them... being played.

Robert   March 29th, 2010 9:24 am ET

@ Nintendo fan: You forgot the GB Pocket, GBA(BS), and GBA Micro:-)

Robert   March 29th, 2010 9:26 am ET

I meant GBA SP(BS).

jayleno   March 29th, 2010 9:35 am ET

insted of making new sistems they should make upgrades

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 10:22 am ET

Video games are a money pit for those people too lazy to get a real hobby or play sports.

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 10:32 am ET

Oooh look at me, I got the latest adult toy. It will be out of date in six months and then I can spend $2000 on a whole new console and games and controllers.

Jason   March 29th, 2010 10:51 am ET

Aww look, Buzz is b'awwwwing.

Someone call whine-one-one.

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 11:12 am ET

Jason I suggest you call whine one one since you are a growth stunted adult who loves childrens toys.

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 11:20 am ET

Actually I will be getting the new Nintendo toy. For $5.00 at a yard sale next year since it will be an antique by then. I can throw it in the closet with my Genesis, N64, Game Cube, Super NES, Playstation 2, and the other unused toys from my childhood.

Jason   March 29th, 2010 11:22 am ET

Too bad I'm not the one whining.

Videogames are for everyone. Your idea of "childrens toys" is subjective. Not everyone thinks like you, thank goodness. If you don't like videogames, don't play them. Simple as that.

Makaveli   March 29th, 2010 12:28 pm ET

BUZZ! Shut up dude. You make fun of all the adults that play children games. Maybe it hasn't occurred to you, but these children games bring back memories. GOOD ONES. It's adults having fun. They may look freakin' dumb doing it, but they're having fun. Maybe you should try sometime.

BTW: I'm a 17 year old guy and any adult that knows how to have a great time playing kid games...I have RESPECT for 'em.

PEACE.

Melme   March 29th, 2010 12:42 pm ET

I already got an XL to replace the DS Lite that broke a hinge a few months ago. I'm not sure how I feel about it so far, but I'm kind of a luddite when it comes to new gadgets. It'll take getting used to the size of it. I can't hold it the way that I used to hold my old DS. My husband is holding out for the 3D model.🙂

29 March, 2010 11:46 « Simply Melme   March 29th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

[...] 29 March, 2010 11:46 by Melme on March 29, 2010 http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/26/geek-out-new-nintendo-handheld-goes-for-bigger-better/#comme... [...]

Jeff HB   March 29th, 2010 1:39 pm ET

Please try to debate someone's points, not make fun of their name. It's ridiculous and belongs in junior high school. You can do better than that.

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 1:46 pm ET

Whatever floats your boat there Jason. I do think everyone should try a real hobby that does not involve sitting in front of the TV stuffing your face with Cheetos.

Buzz   March 29th, 2010 1:52 pm ET

It's amazing how sensitive people are. Perhaps some folks are too emotionally attached to video games.

Al   March 29th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Brain Age? Photo Clock? What the heck? What happened to GAMES? You know, those things that tested your skills and reflexes against computer-controlled opponents with an actual plot? Get rid of this shovelware crap and maybe I'd consider one.

Dr. Mario   March 29th, 2010 4:26 pm ET

Buzz is obviously an internet troll. He probably owns every system from an Intellivision to a PS3, but he finds satisfaction in getting everyone worked up. He will probably post some snarky comment to this post (to which I will not reply). Get out of your mom's basement Buzz and find something better to do with your time than post to a news story to which you have no interest.

I'm 32, married, a tenure-track professor, with a mortgage and a Master's degree, and I play video games all the time. I owned a DS for a while, but recently traded it in towards a PS3. Never really enjoyed playing the DS. Having to use the stylus annoys me. Love Nintendo though. You can't argue their market share stats. Looking forward to HD PS3 graphics and Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. Nintendo needs to get on the HD train and beef up their next system or they will go the way of the Dreamcast.

guest   March 29th, 2010 9:15 pm ET

i luh da gameboy

zuul   March 30th, 2010 1:17 am ET

i'm 31 and i have no shortage of game systems in my home. not having read *all* the comments but it looks like most people don't have a clue as to what a dsi really is or does. dsi is awesome. my kid and i can share games, play TOGETHER in games with our separate dsi, surf the web, and download small light weight games on the cheap. it can play music as well. i will not be buying the XL dsi tho. i LIKE the small version. it fits in your back pocket or i can toss it in my purse incase i get stuck somewhere waiting. reeeaallly bored? stuck in the airport? download a game while you wait. the games are more educational than other systems. can a psp help you learn to paint? i think not. i'm just bummed that not ALL ds games work with the dsi. my copy of "100 classic books" only works on my lite.

Ls Zis   March 30th, 2010 8:36 am ET

Wha tha hell does someone get of sayin' games are for a certain age group and not for another...some scientific journals (am a MSc by the way) have shown that gaming improves memory loss in some aged groups and ABOVE ALL my Virtua Fighter, FEAR and Half-Life games give me one hell of a better time than whining about this or the other...PEACE TO ALL AGED GAMERS OUT THERE!!!🙂

Buzz   March 30th, 2010 9:09 am ET

Based on people's reactions, it is clear they have misplaced anger.

Buzz   March 30th, 2010 9:48 am ET

Dr. Mario...you don't have to post your resume on here, nobody cares.

Melissa   March 30th, 2010 10:55 am ET

I bought a Dsi xl for my daughters Birthday. She's been wanting one since all her friends got one at Christmas. Seems the kids don't like to share and when the bigger screen came out I thought it would be easier for here to see and play. I'm not ready to give her a phone yet, so having a handheld game was really the way to go for us.

Avrailer(Jeremii)   March 30th, 2010 2:48 pm ET

buzz for someone who seems against video games you posted quite alot...

Bill   March 30th, 2010 8:57 pm ET

This is just some "in" product that every kid thinks they should have but really it's just another way of making money by making more want it and more want a better DSI. really it's not needed and is your choice to buy but personally i think its a waste of money they'll have something new next year.

MarknDC   March 31st, 2010 7:42 am ET

Seriously? You can't use your existing games on the XL? That cancels any passing interest I have in it (my ITouch has replaced my DS use.) Sorry Nintendo... you are dead to me.

piroemogoth   May 19th, 2010 9:19 am ET

okay,,,,let me just say that i agree with "psp man"but...the psp is dying out. i mean really the only reason sony created the "psp go" was so that they could keep up with nitendo's touch screen and stuff. again i'm sorry to say this but i've had ALL the ds's and a psp and i can truley say that the DS family is taking control and entually people are going to think that any if not all psp's are as old as an atari. the psp family is dying out. so to any gamer who still has a psp,even a psp go,i suggest that if you want to "stay with it" you go get a dsi or dsi XL.

!PeG! out

piroemogoth   May 19th, 2010 9:31 am ET

okay....pardon my french, but people who are comparing ANY ds to an iphone.....SHUT THE !@#$ UP!!!,yes i know i'm 13 but come on....my mothers almost 40 years old and even SHE know that ANY ds are completely different things so like i said before....PEOPLE WHO COMPARE ANY DS TO AN IPHONE....SUHT THE !@#$ UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!PeG! out

laptops   January 17th, 2014 2:57 am ET

Don't pass this one by just because you don't recognize the name. 8 inches, wide enough to traverse the display without any problems.
laptops http://gamerslaptops.net