SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 30, 2010

Report: New iPhone to be on non-AT&T networks

Posted: 09:40 AM ET

Apple plans to release a new iPhone this year that could operate using Verizon, Sprint and some smaller carriers, according to a Wall Street Journal report Tuesday.

The move, if it happens, would be a big shift from the current iPhone, which only works in the U.S. with AT&T - a sore point for some users.

The paper cited "people briefed by the company." Spokespeople for Apple, Verizon and Vodaphone Group, an international carrier, refused to comment, according to the Journal.

An AT&T spokesman said there has been lots of incorrect speculation about an iPhone that runs CDMA, a wireless network used by Verizon, Sprint and others.

"We haven't seen one yet and only Apple knows when that might occur," the spokesman told the paper.

Apple did not immediately return a message from CNN.com Tuesday seeking comment.

Apple has had an exclusive relationship with AT&T in the United States since 2007.

The unnamed sources also told the Journal what's considered an open secret in tech circles - that Apple will separately release a new version of its current iPhone this summer. The new phone will be thinner and have a faster processor, two souces reportedly told the Journal.

Speculation that Apple would expand the iPhone to other wireless carriers has abounded for months. Many reports, citing Apple sources, have said such a move was coming.

But the Journal report sent Apple stock soaring Tuesday morning. The stock, which already closed at a record $232.39, jumped as much as 6.41 points (2.75 percent) in after-hours trading.

One source said the non-AT&T iPhones will begin production in September, while others said the schedule is still up in the air.

Posted by:
Filed under: iPhone • smartphones

LD   April 1st, 2010 2:44 pm ET

AT&T IS DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drewski   April 1st, 2010 3:34 pm ET

All this talk about IPHONEs hogging data networks is a bit much. I honestly dont think that will happen. APPLE is smart and the Smartest thing to do after the exclusivity agreement with ATT is, create iphones for both GSM, CDMA, wimax, and LTE towers. I can guarantee that any other cellular provider who wishes to include the IPHONE in their lineup will NOT charge 100-130+ for monthly plans on IPHONES. ATT was apples testing B!tcH to see if it became popular, Charge exorbitant prices for plans and data to make a percentage of profit, and see if demand would skyrocket for the IPHONE to be available on other carriers. And it worked for them.

Verizon rejected them in the beginning for multiple reasons. 1 of them, I was told by their top Device tester, was because of Visual Voicemail. The company didnt want to make a dedicated server just for Visual Voicemail. the second im pretty sure was because of the rediculous plans and the profit Apple wanted to make from each phone. Im pretty sure TMO and sprint also rejected. Their price plans were already running as cheaply as they could make it. I think the other three didnt want to rape their customers of cash like that.

If Apple is not stupid, they would drop the whole "get a percentage of profit" game and rely strictly on the sales of IPHONES thru all carriers in the US. They would make boatloads of Money, Let alone if they follow the model of upgrading their IPHONE line yearly. Apple would then multiply their downloads off of Itunes by billions yearly. Apple would not lose if they do this. This is PROFIT GUARANTEED

Now do I really think bottlenecking is gonna be a problem....DONT THINK SO. You would be spreading the use of IPHONES across all carriers. Plus that not every customer, along every carrier, is going to buy an Iphone. You have those who have had their experience with Iphones to give negative word of it to others. Others would simply buy an IPHONE for the carrier that best suits their needs. Their would be so many devices, including 4G devices over the next few years that IPHONE issues will never be a problem

People complain of pricing plans but everyone has to do their research and really reflect on the type of cell habits they have that might run them overages. I dont think the carriers are gonna let APPLE put whatever restrictions and profits they feel like making just to have exclusivity, plans are running at their lowest across all carriers and they cannot afford to destroy their customer base because of APPLE's way of making a profit.

how likely is that APPLE will make an IPHONE for every transmission band? Highly unlikely, but what im saying is a good idea for all cellular customers

Gwenny Poo   April 1st, 2010 3:35 pm ET

What about T-Mobile.....Anyone heard about them being on the list of providers for the I Phone?

Dee   April 1st, 2010 4:16 pm ET

I bought an iphone through AT&T and had to return it the following day. I had no signal where I live in So. AZ. I've been with TMobil for the last 10 years and think their service is good, clarity of calls good, and very few dropped calls. I have a MyTouch and would trade it any day for an iphone. Please, Please Please, have TMobile as one of the companies able to use the new iphoe.

RG   April 1st, 2010 4:30 pm ET

I being a Sprint Customer would love an Iphone for Sprint but a reliable source stated that Sprint will not bow to Apples demands to use their phones so as of now Sprint is out but Verizon uses the same technology as Sprint so who knows what the possibilities will be???

DANTHEMAAN   April 1st, 2010 5:55 pm ET

This will put RIMM over the edge. They will have to come up with a better product or get out of the way.

FINALLY! A IPHONE FOR THE REST OF US!   April 1st, 2010 10:21 pm ET

[...] Source CNN displayedGalleries += '|197'; [...]

Bobby   April 2nd, 2010 6:10 am ET

Well, AT&T will still rule the Iphone. This a video from a band that is going to be in the new APPLE commercial. Hasn't even been released yet. Awesome video and band and Iphone users I hear!!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4LHWE86WI&w=640&h=390]

don   April 2nd, 2010 6:54 am ET

Look like AT&T will be going belly up..again! I-Phone was the only thing to save it, now the golden calf of AT&T is making a break for it! I wonder who the next carrier(s) will be under the thumb of SJ next? I-Phone is pretty but a locked OS and lack or a hardware keyboard is the dealbreaker for me. I am on Craigslist way too much to not have one.

Jazzi B   April 2nd, 2010 10:12 am ET

I sure hope this is true... I hope the iPhone comes to Sprint... I will definitely buy at least 2!!!

Eric S   April 2nd, 2010 11:37 am ET

JUST JAILBREAK AND UNLOCK YOUR PHONE IN LESS THAN 3MIN AND YOU CAN USE ANY CARRIES, SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS NEWS?

Sylvia   April 2nd, 2010 11:57 am ET

I think this is great news..hopefuly they will come to T-mobile...Yes we all know how to unlock however i wont have to pay an arm and a leg for my new phone if i can get it through my own company ya know

AJ   April 2nd, 2010 2:51 pm ET

I have decent credit, I've had Verizon for years without any late payments whatsoever... AT&T must be smoking some serious crack when they said they wanted $800.00 deposit recently just to get a 2-year contract...

THANK GOD iPhones will now be available on CDMA networks.

AJ

Crispin   April 3rd, 2010 7:41 pm ET

Does anybody know about a new device that enables iphone to use multiple carriers and to bypass AT&T minutes requirements? It was recently reported on Yahoo news.

Roberts-Lieb.Com » Sol’s Twitter Weekly Updates for 2010-04-04   April 4th, 2010 7:26 am ET

[...] on other carriers this summer. WHOOT. http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/30/report-new-iphone-to-be-on-non-att-networks/ [...]

Derek   April 13th, 2010 2:25 pm ET

OMG I CAN'T WAIT TILL VERIZON COME OUT WITH APPLE IPHONE!!!!

Spencer Shein   April 24th, 2010 12:31 am ET

finally:)
Spencer Shein

J Hicks   June 2nd, 2010 3:47 pm ET

The Iphone may be the coolest phone out but Sprint has the best cell phone plans out of all the cell phone companies that exist. So if the Iphone was intorduced to sprint that would be a plus, but if not, the Iphone is certainly not worth leaving one of the greatest cell phone plans that exist today.

theresa eckert   October 11th, 2010 10:04 pm ET

this is badass!!! At&T sux....finally i get a stab at the iphone

сочи-2014   December 3rd, 2010 12:16 am ET

Всем привет, Охотно принимаю. На мой взгляд, это интересный вопрос, буду принимать участие в обсуждении. Вместе мы сможем прийти к правильному ответу.

tryecrot   August 28th, 2011 8:20 am ET

Report: New iPhone to be on non-AT&T networks | Foxy 107.1-104.3   May 20th, 2012 4:13 am ET

[...] VIA: CNN.COM [...]

icon-design   September 13th, 2012 10:21 am ET

I apologise, I can help nothing, but it is assured, that to you will help to find the correct decision. Do not despair.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

Debloquer Blackberry Bold   November 4th, 2012 11:38 am ET

Hey there! I've been following your blog for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from
Cannes France! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great job!

Leave Your Comment