SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
March 31, 2010

YouTube down for some users during relaunch

Posted: 08:47 PM ET

Last week, Wikipedia crashed, panicking college students everywhere.

Now, those of us who turn to the Internet for distraction are being dealt a blow: If you tried to visit YouTube Wednesday evening, chances are good you were served with an error page. This comes a week after another widespread YouTube outage, which Google said was due to a technical issue.

No need to panic. A fancy redesigned YouTube is on its way, according to a post on YouTube's official weblog.

YouTube is changing its video pages to introduce a few new features, including a playlist interface and revamped rating system, which favors a "like/dislike" rating system over a star ranking.

It’s a change eight months in the making, according to Shiva Rajaraman, a senior product manager at YouTube. He says the redesigned page is the result of an increasingly cluttered video page. "We launched more features in 2009 than in past years combined, and the page got very crowded," said Rajaraman.

The change is intended to benefit not only video consumers, but also creators. "Uploaders were starting to complain about an experience that wasn't really apt for their content," said Rajaraman. Uploaders will see an improved upload experience with the new rollout.

But change can be scary, and YouTube realizes that making changes to a site that sees over a billion page views every day can be upsetting. Chris Dale, a YouTube spokesman, says it's evolution that keeps the site relevant. "We have to continue to keep the site fresh, and keep people engaged, and I think as we sort of blaze trails in the world of online video we feel pretty strongly that we want to keep to a fresh set of standards, and keep people used to and engaged in new experiences," he said.

In addition to the new features, the post says the overall look and functionality of the video page will be "cleaner, simpler and easier to use." See for yourself here.

So, relax - you'll be back to watching babies dancing to Beyonce in no time.

Posted by:
Filed under: YouTube

Deb   March 31st, 2010 9:03 pm ET

I love the sarcasm of this post!

YouTuber   March 31st, 2010 9:04 pm ET

The new interface is terrible!

James Steal   March 31st, 2010 9:13 pm ET

The new interface is bland.

Bez   March 31st, 2010 9:18 pm ET

You know what would be nice? If the player would start downloading the NEXT video while my current one is playing. Afterall, it knows which one is next in the list.

Fred Krueger   March 31st, 2010 9:18 pm ET

Suckage.

When will people learn to leave things we like alone?

Oh FFS   March 31st, 2010 9:20 pm ET

I fail to see where any improvement is...

krome   March 31st, 2010 9:21 pm ET

I agree.. The new interface is horrible! "Cleaner, simpler and easier to use" my ass! The new page layout looks cluttered and confusing, especially when it comes to the comments section. Its like they're trying to do too much now.

ericka   March 31st, 2010 9:23 pm ET

sub me! iamestrella🙂

smurfs kick ass   March 31st, 2010 9:52 pm ET

You people need to get a life.

Zaba   March 31st, 2010 9:56 pm ET

Terrible is an understatement. I'm disgusted!

ericka   March 31st, 2010 10:23 pm ET

Thank you to those who subbed me!❤ I'll love you forever.

It's not too late to be like teh cool kids... iamestrella

Utoobs   March 31st, 2010 10:30 pm ET

I like the new playlist focused YT. Because YOU are like your content/TV programmer. You can just build playlists and watch them. The only thing is that if you're in full screen the Playlists, at least for me on a Mac/Safari setup, doesnt stay full screen as it advanced to the next vid in your playlist.

I'm diggin' it.

Jackson Pierce   March 31st, 2010 11:00 pm ET

Now it just looks so empty though... at least bring back the grey.

Bobby   March 31st, 2010 11:03 pm ET

New interface is boring and counterintuitive.

Dany win   March 31st, 2010 11:10 pm ET

ByTrade.com collects various updated business information for its members, like trade shows, business news, trading tips, etc.
If you are interested, take action NOW to help yourself!

speedchaser38   April 1st, 2010 12:14 am ET

What new look. Never saw such a mess in my life and this was done professionally? yikes! cant even find my play;ist at all now. The goof that came up with this Idea needs to be shot!!!!
Put it back the way it was until you get a program that is and will work

Zane   April 1st, 2010 12:17 am ET

all I can say is whoopde do lol

All this means to everyday people that you can either say you like a video or you dont, and theres no 3 stars in between about it.

Though they should let you flag videos you deem just to stupid to be on youtube or videos that are just duplicates of other videos, and of course being able to flag people that take are videos, I mean it happens to everyday users like all the time, but it can be sorta hard to prove you made something even if you uploaded it first being a he/she saing, one of the things I sorta hate about uploading videos on youtube.

All the same, little change isnt a bad thing, lot sites, and other stuff out there still look as they did 5 or even 10+ years ago, its 2010 for crying out loud. "wheres my flying car at?" lol

John   April 1st, 2010 12:23 am ET

The new interface is much better than the ugly, inconsistent design that we had to put up with for so long. If only they'd ditch the scheme of the video player itself in favor of something minimalistic that blends with the rest of the site.

"It's confusing! I can't find anything! Change it back!"
FFS, take fifteen seconds to relearn where stuff is. It's not that hard.

Wanda   April 1st, 2010 12:29 am ET

Don't care much about the interface, but the slowness is evil.

RIch   April 1st, 2010 12:31 am ET

This really affected my band, The Medium. We launched our debut video right as this happened. We flew into a panic. But, it's all good. It's up now. Here it is..

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4LHWE86WI&w=640&h=390]

TheMediumMusic.Com

Cali MJ Fan   April 1st, 2010 1:15 am ET

Blah Blah. Hard to see the words - there's no interface buttons. Yuck. What happened to the person's information box– now it's just little words above the video. Booo.

Dunoj   April 1st, 2010 1:27 am ET

I've had a YouTube account since June of 2007 and pretty much seen YouTube since it first became popular and I can say without a doubt that I hate the new layouts. If you click on the like button it ends up favoriting the video and not everybody wants to favorite a video that they rate. I also just find it more confusing. The same is true of the channel pages. It used to be easy to use and now it seems like you can't get to where you want quite as easily. The saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". YouTube should follow that moto.

Karl   April 1st, 2010 2:13 am ET

Yes, because "We have to continue to keep the site fresh, and keep people engaged, and I think as we sort of blaze trails in the world of online video we feel pretty strongly that we want to keep to a fresh set of standards, and keep people used to and engaged in new experiences."...Dude, its all about what people upload. Youtube doesn't have to do a thing.

exipecitati   April 1st, 2010 2:18 am ET

_______ I LOVE the new rating system. My friend said that it would be cool if they had ten stars because many 5 star videos would actually be 9 on that system. But I like the new one because they don't show the rating along with the thumbnail so I get the chance to click on a bunch of 2 star videos. My life is pretty bland so the waste of time doesn't bother me much.

Vnonymous   April 1st, 2010 2:49 am ET

Last week, Wikipedia crashed, panicking college students everywhere.

^^GOD THAT'S A SAD STATEMENT.

jumbo bob   April 1st, 2010 3:38 am ET

well, if it isnt done yet, why apply it.?? so far, it makes no sense
and comes with no directions. its a big guessing game. and the
improvements are a major matter of opinion. i have other words
for it, improvement is not among them.

chris   April 1st, 2010 4:26 am ET

Why are people so against change? Everything you're using right now is the result of progress and change. Yes, even the stuff that you enjoy daily (like CNN, facebook, etc).
You can't whine and moan every time something changes because those changes make the sites what they are, including features that weren't available previously.
So give them a chance...user interface is pretty basic stuff and designers DO know what's best.

It really scares me how little Americans embrace change. They hate it when their cable system changes, when they get a new remote control, when the menu board at McDonald's changes.....all the way up to politician changes, etc.

Change is the only constant in life. Where we're at now is the direct result of lots of change and progress over the years. Even the little subtle ones that you don't mind as much. Embrace them, embrace progress and let's move things into tomorrow instead of being dragged kicking and screaming.

Tim   April 1st, 2010 5:36 am ET

Change is fine, unless of course it makes things worse like this redesign. They've misunderstood what the "centerpiece" should be. Just check the comments on their roll-out video; at least if you're able to view them correctly with their horrible new commenting system.

PA-Pilot   April 1st, 2010 7:29 am ET

The new interface is boring

Hanna D.   April 1st, 2010 8:14 am ET

Google is a massive company. How is it possible that they did not have the foresight to actually hire (good) usability testers, that could actually determine who user experience the users actually want?

I have reviewed a lot of the comments on the YT site, and they are overwhlemingly negative. YT stated that they "started on this process 8 months ago"-did you do that in a bubble, with only the users you wanted looking at the beta site.

Well, you'll lose money, and popularity on this venture. If you put too much change out there all at once, adaptability rates go way down.

YouTube=NewCoke!

Chris A   April 1st, 2010 8:33 am ET

What's a YouTube?

John   April 1st, 2010 8:41 am ET

So far the changes have been terrible, and it has made the system very glitchy. Today, every comment on my videos is multiplied a dozen times. What's up with that?

Rob in NY   April 1st, 2010 8:48 am ET

a) Greatest first sentence I've ever read for an article.

b) As others have said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Change for the sake of change is pointless, youtube.

Anonymous   April 1st, 2010 8:54 am ET

They brought down the website to upgrade to a new (and silly) You Tube logo ? They hired a 5 year old to make that logo with crayons. Its hard to tell what else changed; Oh right, thats why they had to tell us in a "new look" intro section on the videos page.

Polaris431   April 1st, 2010 9:34 am ET

During elections...Oh YES WE CAN....OH YES WE CAN.....
During Youtube new layout...OH NO WE CAN'T...OH NO WE CAN'T

Polaris431   April 1st, 2010 9:37 am ET

Hey, I just discovered something. The new Youtube logo is an April Fool's Day joke. No really. If you save the image to disk as a file, the filename of the image from Youtube's server is "logo_april_fools-vfl157034.png". Check it out yourself if you don't believe me. Maybe the whole site is a joke then.

bill lindel   April 1st, 2010 9:41 am ET

No control over the new change,that wrong!

conibear45   April 1st, 2010 9:41 am ET

YouTube is the one constant enjoyment in my life and its continuing "evolution" is more than a mere annoyance. If this is the final product, i am really upset. What happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Oftentimes, change is NOT a good thing. If you feel an overwhelming need to change it, why not poll us Youtubers on your intentions? Feedback is a big part of what YouTube is. Thank you.

?   April 1st, 2010 9:43 am ET

what happened to the logo. I hope this is just a temporary place holder. It looks like it's been done in the first version of photoshop in the early 90's. are you calling this 'staying fresh". someone else said, people make youtube. that's true. youtube is beautiful as a platform for creative expression and now they are overriding all this creative expression with more and more control, and selling out to the evil mainstream commercial companies. what a shame...the true spirit of the internet is really dying.

Polaris431   April 1st, 2010 10:09 am ET

Embedded in the Youtube webpages (HTML) is the following text:

"By using text-only mode, you are saving YouTube $1 a second in bandwidth costs. Click here to go back to regular YouTube and happy April Fools Day!"

The real new layout will appear tomorrow. The ugly one today is meant as a joke.

Polaris431   April 1st, 2010 10:10 am ET

The new logo is an April Fool's Day joke. Save the image to file and you will see that it gets the name a "april fool".

Polaris431   April 1st, 2010 10:12 am ET

People. You've been fooled. Period. The "new layout" is Youtube's joke on you and you all swallowed it hook, line and sinker!

Bob   April 1st, 2010 1:26 pm ET

I LOVE THE NEW YOU TUBE LAYOUT!!!

x360aadict   April 1st, 2010 1:36 pm ET

i hat the new youtube!!!!!!

RaymondC   April 1st, 2010 2:48 pm ET

Only one problem with the redesigned YouTube: I can't read the text due to its shockingly small font size. Google needs to fix this promptly because a lot of use require perscription glasses and squinting my eyes to read the smaller text isn't such a good idea.

opAZ   April 1st, 2010 3:24 pm ET

is this an April joke?

this new youtube layout is just that.

threephasewolf   April 1st, 2010 3:56 pm ET

the new youtube layout sucks!!!

Rosie   April 1st, 2010 5:56 pm ET

I personally dislike the new layout. I would have liked a more gradual change, for one thing. That, and the idea of 'liking' and 'disliking' a video does not agree with me. We rate movies with stars, not thumbs. When I first saw the change, I was hoping that it was all a joke. And, for some reason, I want to keep thinking that.

Norman Bates   April 1st, 2010 6:51 pm ET

Mother would turn over in her root cellar if she ever cought me watching Youtube

Jan   April 1st, 2010 8:16 pm ET

New interface is bleak!

Bobby   April 2nd, 2010 6:06 am ET

I like the new interface and what some bands are putting up quality wise. This video is one of the most amazing videos I have seen quality wise on Youtube. Popped up once the crash was over. check it!!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4LHWE86WI&w=640&h=390]

Blessed Geek   April 2nd, 2010 7:06 am ET

Last week, Wikipedia crashed, panicking college students everywhere.

That is not at all a sad situation.

Wikipedia sections on Mathematics and Physics are extremely well written and I depend on it rather than flip an old text book. It's not just college students but professionals too. When looking for a statistical methodology or refreshing on an obscure mathematical terminology, it's faster to use wikipedia than finding the book that describes it. Of course, we also have wolfram website to use too.

zoyclem   April 2nd, 2010 8:57 am ET

Youtube did something they are good at-refusing to leave well enough alone. The new interface is awful, and much of the previous functionality is gone. This is the third time in a year they've made stupid changes to their product. It is getting old and they are going to start losing traffic if they persist in making changes without customer feedback.

jay   April 2nd, 2010 11:02 am ET

this is not news. If FaceBook is used by as many claimed then half the world already knows this info. Lets do some real reporting CNN

ToxicKandyKid   April 5th, 2010 3:25 am ET

How boring... They need to think of something better quick. lol

Eugensdiet   April 6th, 2010 11:14 am ET

What is the point of having a rating system if you can't see it until you yourself vote?

taco   April 13th, 2010 10:36 am ET

i personally hate the new youtube. why cant google just leave it alone? i miss the old rating system and everything else that used to be on there.

Kelvin   April 14th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

Hate the new youtube. Is it down again? Not working for me here in Puerto Rico.

poopsicle   April 15th, 2010 11:40 am ET

i was panicing.....i was crying...i was pooping...oh god help us

James   July 11th, 2010 12:36 pm ET

I thought my refurbished Macbook was to blame. Thanks for clarifying what happened, now I should call Apple and apologize for blaming them🙂

Leave Your Comment