SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 5, 2010

Tiger's Masters return to be in 3-D

Posted: 12:04 PM ET

This week's Masters golf tournament will draw lots of casual golf fans because Tiger Woods is returning after months of news about his tawdry off-the-fairway activities.

But there's one more reason they might tune in - the tourney will be offered in 3-D.

Comcast and the Augusta National Golf Club are joining to show the revered tournament in next-generation 3-D - at least for people who have TVs or computers rigged to see it.

The dedicated channel will show about two hours of live programming a day, according to a Comcast blog post.

"Our engineers in Comcast Labs have been testing transmission of footage from Augusta National over the past few weeks and I can tell you that it's nothing short of spectacular," Derek Harrar, a Comcast vice president, said in the post. Sony and IBM will be working with Comcast to make the broadcast possible.

The broadcast is part of a trend of sporting events embracing the growing 3-D boom.

ESPN has announced that they'll broadcast the 2011 BCS National Champship game, World Cup soccer and other events in 3-D. The network's first 3-D sports event will be the World Cup match between Mexico and South Africa on June 11.

Companies like Sony, Samsung and Panasonic have begun producing 3-D television. While the technology is still emerging, the companies are hoping that programming like the Masters will help drive sales of the TVs.

Posted by:
Filed under: HDTV • pop culture • technology

moe   April 5th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

Wow!!! It still won't make watching golf interesting. Ooh, it looked like Tiger's club was coming right at me.

Sency   April 5th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

i don't think GOLF is a sport that needs to be in 3D http://www.sency.com/3d-golf.htm

JVm Fan   April 5th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Tigers mistress–the p@@@ star–Joselyn James is going to be watching his press conference live according the the CNN HLN Show "Issues." They are going to monitor his words and her reaction. That girl is getting more and more bizarre so it should be interesting. Jane Velez-Mitchell (the host of "Issues") didn't hold back on her last time she was on the show–saying "What do you want? What do you WANT?!"

Jeff Read   April 5th, 2010 3:12 pm ET

FORE!!!!!

JamDwag   April 5th, 2010 3:13 pm ET

I just got hit in the chest with a golf ball yesterday.,,,,,2-D sure didn't help

Cory   April 5th, 2010 6:39 pm ET

This is going to be available on Time Warner Cable too, so us TWC customers with 3D TVs won't miss out. 🙂

greenteagod   April 5th, 2010 10:50 pm ET

Jesus christ. No one cares about 3D. I specifically avoid movies that are in 3D. It works for kitsch like Freddy's Dead and Amityville 3D but trying to watch actual movies with real production value in 3D is just a headache.

Jeff S   April 6th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

greeteagod – unfortunately, you are completely wrong. There are plenty of people who care about 3D. You being one of the few who hate 3D doesn't mean the millions of people who enjoy it don't exist. Narcissism for the loss, in your case!

sanud002   April 6th, 2010 2:21 pm ET

I can't wait to see the Masters in 3-D! I've been playing golf ever since I was young and watching it probably even before I can remember. I think anything that can help bring interest and excitement to the game is a positive. Obviously 3-D is coming to truly be the next great feat in home entertainment technology but my big problem with this is those darn glasses! I really don't want one more thing that I might lose in the couch, along with the remote, that will impede my television watching experience. I recently was turned onto a video that was about some of the amazing technologies that might be able to bypass the 3-D glasses problem. I'll post a link to the video if you want to see more for yourself. It was pretty cool stuff!

Alice Sue   April 6th, 2010 11:25 pm ET

HEY for all you 3D fans....Time Warner Cable will be bringing YOU 3D
very soon too...yeah we are one of the premiere cable providers in the country!!

homes in lompoc   June 28th, 2012 10:35 pm ET

Hi there, I discovered your blog by the use of Google even as searching for a related topic, your website got here up, it appears good. I have bookmarked to favourites|added to bookmarks.

Rozella Flota   May 12th, 2013 12:48 pm ET

Golf tournaments are great competitive events where you can both have fun as well as challenge your golf game along with others. There are hundreds and hundreds of golf tournaments held all over the world both for professionals as well as amateurs. Even local organizations have golf tournaments."'

Check out the latest blog post at our blog page

Leave Your Comment