SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 7, 2010

iPad destruction videos go viral

Posted: 10:10 AM ET

The Web's latest viral video hit comes from the popular online series called "Will it Blend?"

The premise of the show is simple. A guy in glasses and a lab coat (who just so happens to be the founder of a blender company) puts stuff in a kitchen blender and then declares the objects blendable or not.

Monday's iPad blender test has been watched 2.8 million times on YouTube.

So does the iPad blend? Tom Dickson, the show's host and founder of Blendtec, says yes in the video, as he pours the ashy remains of an iPad onto the counter top.

But with a caveat. Dickson has to bust the iPad into two pieces for the 9.7-inch screen to fit inside the appliance.

A number of other iPad-destruction videos are getting passed around the Web, too. Some guys decided to bust their iPads within moments of purchasing them.

Not everyone is happy about this trend.

On the Apple-fan blog Macgasm, Joshua Schnell seems disturbed:

"Why is it that all these people on the internet want to destroy iPads? It makes me weep," he writes.

Some environmentalists see the stunts as wasteful.

Referring to the young men who smashed iPads right after purchasing them, the green blog Treehugger writes:

"This joker and cohorts need to go tour some of the horrendous precious metal mines, the manufacturing facilities, an e-waste dump and get first hand experience with how much goes into creating and disassembling one of these devices so that they begin to grasp that this is not funny."

What do you think?

Posted by:
Filed under: Apple • iPad

Christian   April 7th, 2010 10:20 am ET

haroun   April 7th, 2010 10:38 am ET

that is awesome but why waist money on it its kinda stupid i guess if i had that kinda money i would do the same thing

a Bizzle   April 7th, 2010 10:46 am ET

how is this wasteful?? they get all this publicity for the cost of a crappy ipad. it's great business

jjh   April 7th, 2010 10:46 am ET

dumb and wasteful

Fatikh khabibullaev   April 7th, 2010 10:47 am ET

I think destroying the ipad right after purchasing is really stupid because people worked really hard in creating ipad. People who destroyed Ipad should be ashamed because some people in the world cannot afford Ipad.What they need to do is that they have to buy Ipads and give it away if they don't need it.

PL   April 7th, 2010 10:53 am ET

Well, in guarenteeing "life, liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness" the Declaration of Independence also guarentees the "pursuit of stupidity". Now, where is my pet rock?

Dave   April 7th, 2010 10:55 am ET

It's BlendTec, they blend everything. iPhones, army men, glass marbles etc etc.

Their blenders rock too! Go get one.

Oh and all the whiners should really obey the words of St. Fu.

Soundq2   April 7th, 2010 10:55 am ET

They did the Iphone the day after it was first released. Its publicity for their blender that will blend anything. It works because we are all here talking about it.

Robin   April 7th, 2010 10:56 am ET

I want an iPad so bad, since they have so much money to just break them up they should not waste them and give one to me!

Kenneth   April 7th, 2010 10:56 am ET

haha..wow..the lack of knowledge by people.

This guy owns a blender company, if you did some research you can find him. He does this with all new electronics to show the strength of his blenders.

as a bizzle said, its great publicity!

JGS   April 7th, 2010 10:57 am ET

People are crazy.... what a waste of money....

Whalom   April 7th, 2010 10:58 am ET

What's an iPad?

mahmoud el-darwish   April 7th, 2010 10:58 am ET

The silly, jealous persons gaining attention from these silly stunts are the same folk that are amused by the killing of Medical professionals in the name of saving lives, the torture of foreign nationals and the debauchery of their own kids in fulfillment of Biblical imperatives. These are Rush Limbaugh's and GWB's people ;)

Hey Hey Hey   April 7th, 2010 10:58 am ET

Why couldn't this guy have just sent the $500 to my school loan office.

lola   April 7th, 2010 11:00 am ET

people need to find better things to do with their time rather than smashing ipads. the world has too many problems to solve and too many great inventions like cure for aids, cancer etc to come up with. if only such people used their energy to put it into something more important

Jesus   April 7th, 2010 11:00 am ET

Robert   April 7th, 2010 11:02 am ET

I think a lot of people are missing the point of the marketing strategy of will it blend. Not only does it bring popularity and name recognition to the blenders, but also shows their superior capabilities of blending. I know now when I am in the market for a high performance blender I will definitely buy a blendtec.

Lisa M   April 7th, 2010 11:05 am ET

In case anyone has not noticed, we now live in a self important world where everyone wants their 15 minutes.

goose   April 7th, 2010 11:05 am ET

Ipad isnt inovative, nor is it usefull. all you can do is surf the internet, play with apps and say you have one. Archos came out with the first fully touch screen computer, and i say computer again because it is a fully functional computer, and second it can run more useful programs than the ipad. Lastly and true computer user has a pc based system not a mac.

dave   April 7th, 2010 11:05 am ET

Have you not realized, that once you buy it, you can do anything you want with it??? It’s their money. PERIOD. I don't think the ecological disaster caused by blending and iPad, iPhone, iTouch will completely dissolve humanity.

I honestly didn't know that when I purchase something that I need to be considerate of the feelings and efforts of the Engineers that designed it.

Get over it.

Adrian Cronauer   April 7th, 2010 11:06 am ET

How dumb are the people that say this is wasteful? It's simply money spent on advertising. It's no more waste than flopping down $500 on props. You Apple lovers are soooo defensive.

Nick   April 7th, 2010 11:06 am ET

I love how CNN fails to mention that this guy has been doing these as marketing gimmicks for that blender for years. Google "does it blend" and you'll see a hundred of them. It's not some new thing. Tech geeks have been getting a kick out of these for a long time.

Mark   April 7th, 2010 11:07 am ET

Wow, you have REALLY neat way of saying things!!!! I'd bet that sharing physical space with you and listening to one of your stories is painful.

"i thank BlendTec for empowering people to self-identify as morons. If someone sends me the link to this video for its comedic value, I know to de-friend them, thus protecting me from the eventual drama and disaster that surely awaits ever actually sharing physical space with them".

Safety   April 7th, 2010 11:11 am ET

Has anyone heard of nano technology? Of course you have...you're nerds. Point is, nano technology poses safety risks. it is absorbed through the skin and inhaled. Apple has said iPhones contain the technology. It is reasonable to assume the iPad does as well.

Not only is it a waste of money to break these toys, but it is a health hazard. Forget mercury....worry about nano particles. Don't believe me? Look it up on http://www.OSHA.gov.

Chris   April 7th, 2010 11:12 am ET

Boo hoo, they destroyed an iPad. It's not your money. They wanted to get a reaction out of you and they succeeded.

Tony   April 7th, 2010 11:12 am ET

@Christian

Your friends can't be of much value if they can be "De-friended" (gotta love Facebook friend collectors) over a blender video. I suppose it says more about your depth than that of the sender.

Linda   April 7th, 2010 11:14 am ET

"About this Blog" is right next to the picture of a blended iPad. It explains why we should read this blog. ; to inform ourselves and keep up with the technology of the tech world.
How does the posting of this stunt inform me about anything useful, CNN?

DawnOC   April 7th, 2010 11:18 am ET

This is a great blender. I just bought three.

TOM13   April 7th, 2010 11:18 am ET

I for one think it rocks, i would like to do that with the one i have, now that i see its just a glorified Iphone with less features. I am selling it on ebay, atleast i will get my money back, i am definantly waiting for the 3rd or 4th generation of the IPAD ofcourse i should have learned from the Iphone which took 3 generations to do what my nokia N95 was doing for years prior, and still now microsd or USB.along with a crippled bluetooth.system.

Duh   April 7th, 2010 11:19 am ET

People in the mines, manufacturing facilities, e-waste dumps, etc all get paid regardless of whether or not someone decides to use the device or smash it imediately as two facts remain: 1) They are created as a result of consumer demand 2) They do not last forever.

Who cares why someone decides to buy a product or how long they use it for, as long as it does not infringe on your human and civil rights.

CMB   April 7th, 2010 11:19 am ET

What a waste.. better yet... why report on it?

Stewart   April 7th, 2010 11:20 am ET

It's amazing how defensive all of these Apple fanbois are. It's almost like a cult. If anyone dares defame The Great Leader Steve Jobs or any of his wondrous inventions then they need to be slain!

I'm really amazed at Apple's marketing strategy though. They have a certain percentage of the population(media included) so suckered that they can put out low quality, poor performing products and charge twice as much as anyone else, and people will spend the night waiting in line to be the first to buy it! Their products may suck, but their marketing is incredible.

charles   April 7th, 2010 11:20 am ET

again, who cares? it's fun! i want you all to notice how the on-screen keyboard was still displaying in a close-up after it had already been bashed a few times. THAT is why you buy apple stuff.

Frank   April 7th, 2010 11:21 am ET

I'd like to put the author of this article in a blender. This is news? BS! Try writing about something that matters rather than wasting the small amount of talent you have writing about pointless drivel.

Hatzel88   April 7th, 2010 11:21 am ET

who cares what people want to do with their things. If they think breaking it will get them attention then who cares.
I love how everyone is so upset. does it really effect your life so drastically?

Chuckle and move onto the next part of this internet nonsense.

Joe   April 7th, 2010 11:24 am ET

Just when you think we've hit rock bottom in terms of stupidity, someone comes along and lowers the bottom another notch.

Amy   April 7th, 2010 11:25 am ET

This is just ridiculous and immature. Another example of how selfish and stupid people can be. I agree, what a waste.

Doc   April 7th, 2010 11:27 am ET

why do people care so much?! as long as someone disposes of the remains properly i cant see a reason for anyone to get all hyped up over people wasting money

alan   April 7th, 2010 11:28 am ET

I for one am glad that BlendTec does this important product testing. I won't buy any product unless I know it can withstand blending. The iPad is clearly substandard in this regard. Excepting strawberries and ice cream, of course.

Ballz   April 7th, 2010 11:31 am ET

Nice!!! the best thing that could happen to the anemic i-device

Matt   April 7th, 2010 11:31 am ET

I dislike Apple and I think the Ipad is just about pointless but still why would you do this? Give the thing back or give it to some kid or a school or something. This is pointless and just shows how low people have started to go just to get attention.

brandon   April 7th, 2010 11:32 am ET

This guy just got your attention, good or bad, by blending an ipad, he wins, even if you didn't like it. He's probably gonna sell a 100 blenders just from this article.

SoulardGuy   April 7th, 2010 11:33 am ET

Funny. Blend away. I love the bleeding hearth iPad loves and environmentalist complaining about the destruction of the iPad. You do realize that all iPads will eventually end up in China being melted down for their metals.

Patty   April 7th, 2010 11:36 am ET

I have 5 $100 bills that I'm now going to put through the shredder! Oh, wow! Money shreds! Neat!

Eric   April 7th, 2010 11:37 am ET

Yeah, this isn't funny...

It's HILARIOUS!!!

eurotrash   April 7th, 2010 11:37 am ET

Wow, You are a moron. If you have "Friends" on FB that you have never even met... that shows what a self obrsorbed MORON you are. Its not a contest buttnut!

cheffy_dave   April 7th, 2010 11:38 am ET

Who cares what they do with them, every purchase helps Apples bottom line.
I bought 1000 share's when Wall Street Tanked, it was then $69.75/share.
Just checked ,today it hit $241.21, a profit of $171.46 a share. That's a $171,000 + profit in a little over a year,in the worst recession since the great depression, smash away children, Steve and I are laughing all the way to the bank!

Sue   April 7th, 2010 11:39 am ET

This is a waste of both material and time to run such an experiment. Blenders are not made to "blend" electronics. I agree with the previous posted. Anyone who sends a video of this out is also self-identifying themself as a moron.

Valeriy   April 7th, 2010 11:40 am ET

The guy spent only $500 to get this much buzz and publicity, which is brilliant! However, people who followed him and simply smashed they new devices – they got nothing out of it. They are just idiots who followed the trend.

Yooh   April 7th, 2010 11:40 am ET

Wow, what a great way to cut down on the amount of garbage that goes to the landfills. Looks like a fabulous blender to me! Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Apple but after using the Ipad I realized it is just an Ipod for poeple with really bad sight. Now if they make their commercials louder they will definitely target the people who truly need this new device.

TheLionSleepsTonight   April 7th, 2010 11:41 am ET

The real problem is that we give these wasteful people attention! The media should be gearing away from this type of garbage news. Ignore them and they will go away :)

Schuman   April 7th, 2010 11:42 am ET

Lame...lame that this video is considered viral. Will it blend has had several high volume videos including will it blend iphone. This is nothing new...this is old news. The fact that they have so many views it not because of its new found popularity, but its previous fan base.

Ian   April 7th, 2010 11:42 am ET

.... because Daniel Tosh did it with a golf club, everyone else jumped on the band wagon to destroy one. Just waiting for someone to puke on one...

ugh   April 7th, 2010 11:44 am ET

Wasteful and juvenile...but I also don't care about ipads or blenders. I do care about the environment though. Do you think ipads are like the first generation of those things they have on Star Trek? Will they have blenders on the first Enterprise? Hmmmm....

jdub   April 7th, 2010 11:46 am ET

who ever did this is STUPID!!! the only way i might do this is if they pay me A LOT OF MONEY, so i can get another, and some for the people who don't have one. he is such a NOOB!!

Nick   April 7th, 2010 11:48 am ET

@Stewart

You don't have a clue what your talking about. Thier devices are twice as fast and work correctly.
People love Apple because the device does what it needs to do and the UI is the best when it comes to interactivity.

You wouldn't understand because you have windows Vista and deal with a crappy system. If you have ever used an Apple
product and had an idea what quality interactivity was defined as, you would understand why people love Apple so much. Not because
it's a cult, but because their devices not only do what is expected, but don't error. Their devices are fast and efficient.
No other OS compares.

But you wouldn't understand that because your not tech savvy. So keep going on with your hate, because we know what you really are.

People love Apple because of the quality. I'm a Windows developer, but I like Apple products because they have high quality interactivity.

Dog   April 7th, 2010 11:48 am ET

@Christian

I doubt you share physical space with anyone judging from your self important comment.

Personally....I don't care what people do with this stuff. It's their money....have at it. I think this is funny myself!

Andre   April 7th, 2010 11:49 am ET

They PAID for those iPads before destroying them. The money that they paid for them helps to pay for the manufacture of the things. It's BUSINESS, the end result of which has to cover the cost of the iPads (indirectly paying the salaries of the miners for the minerals, the manufacturers, distributors, managers, etc.) The Blend guy gets ADVERTISING, and the other guys get ATTENTION. They compared the cost of the iPads to the benefits they could receive from destroying them right away and the benefits outweighed the costs. As long as they are not using them for malicious or illegal purposes its totally fine. The iPads are already very green products and the environment might have suffered more if the iPads were used since they require electricity.

Jillian Perez   April 7th, 2010 11:52 am ET

Haha.. Im a middle school student doing this for a class bellwork.. Lmao.. You guys aren't smart..

Dorkus Maximus   April 7th, 2010 11:56 am ET

Glass shatters; aluminum is soft. So what does this tell us about the quality of the blender? Not a whole lot. Shock value aside, it's kind of like showing off the effectiveness of a paper shredder by shredding a famous oil painting. "Can ShredTec shred the Mona Lisa??!!!" Of course it can; but is that really a testament to the quality of the shredder?

In the case of this blender, if "blending" an iPad doesn't really give us a good sense of how well the blender works on stuff like ice cubes and carrots, is the company really just trying to sell its product by appealing to some perversity in modern society?

Yo Mama   April 7th, 2010 11:58 am ET

This is dumb

DS   April 7th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

The blender guy has been doing this for years to promote his blenders. I have no problem with that.

If you want to spend $500 on an iPad and then destroy it, you can even though it's a waste of money. Filming yourself destroying it to get attention will not impress me however.

Technology nowadays changes so rapidly that we're constantly upgrading our phones and computers. We're already creating waste by the ton. And everyone is saying that Apple will come out with a better iPad in a few months so all the folks that bought the 1st gen will buy the 2nd gen and so on and so forth. The companies themselves encourage this constant buying.

I wonder if this destruction would be happening if we hadn't elevated the iPad to Messiah status?

Mark   April 7th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

And no one gets made at Apple and other electronics makers for making products that can't be disassembled? We live in a throw-away culture. We don't fix things anymore, we throw them away and buy new ones.

n8r   April 7th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

Waste of money? It is a matter of perspective. They are getting TONS of publicity after all. And that is worth much more than the cost of an iPad. I say let the purchaser decide what to do with their new gadget.

Matt   April 7th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

Apple doesnt care. The idiots already paid for it, so they accomplished nothing.

Marcia   April 7th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

People have too much time and money on their hands

Nene   April 7th, 2010 12:05 pm ET

For $400-$1000 that blender better blend anything I put in it!

Frankie   April 7th, 2010 12:05 pm ET

What's next, putting Steve Jobs in a blender?

Cs   April 7th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

Honestly, do you people have nothing better to do than argue with people around the nation about someone blending an ipad? All of you are complaining about them not doing thing useful, but what exactly are you doing? At least they are imaginative enough to come up with a great marketing plan and get up and act upon that idea, rather than sitting down glued to a computer screen complaining about random things that have zero effect on your life. And further more, why is this even news, why report this and not something that actually matters?

jo   April 7th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

I'M BUYING A VITAMIX NOW. NO BLENDTEC FOR ME

Erebus   April 7th, 2010 12:07 pm ET

People are starving in our streets, and these stupid mother [expletives] are wasting money in such an offensive manner. They could have taken the $500 they wasted to blend a [expletive] iPad and donated it to a charity.

bewildered   April 7th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

pathetic. where and why do people come up with these ideas? I worked for an advanced materials company and know about the enviro hazards that come from mashing up electronics and appreciate and am dismayed by the expensive waste that goes with trashing the precious metals in these things. and to immediately trash something that just went to market? I don't get it. perhaps I need a better sense of humor ... so sue me.

June   April 7th, 2010 12:08 pm ET

This is stupid. Just give a good idea for kids, who have plenty of free time, without parents supervision.

Elle   April 7th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

Happy   April 7th, 2010 12:10 pm ET

I like the video where he blended glow sticks in the dark.

Jeff   April 7th, 2010 12:11 pm ET

Slowly toxify our planet. I implore any of these people who don't see a problem with destruction of materials and inappropriately dispose of these materials to visit a 3rd world country.

I've been to the Philippines, Mexico, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia.

Stupid Americans that is what they are. There is an object floating between Hawaii and California which is the size of Texas. This object consists of plastic waste (not waist you boofoon).

The earth will exist and be healthy 100's of years later as soon as humans destroy themselves.

1789   April 7th, 2010 12:11 pm ET

All the people whining about the "environmental impact" by destroying their iPad...shut up already. What do you think will happen to the iPads that are obsolete in the future? They will be discarded. If anything, Blendtec simply broke the iPad into smaller components.

Another thing, who cares what Blendtec does 'after' they purchase it? What if I want a $400 dollar coaster to set my glass of water on...should I not be allowed to purchase an iPad? No. Grow up; accept that people won't always do things "your way."

Common sense and free will...c'mon people.

notoj   April 7th, 2010 12:12 pm ET

What surprises me is the high emotional attachment folks have for these devices. Once a person buys one, it is up to them what to do with it.

Jeff , Douglass, KS   April 7th, 2010 12:12 pm ET

Oh, the humanity!
I just keep hearing that announcer's cry as the Hindenburg went down in flames.......

Jesse   April 7th, 2010 12:14 pm ET

Who cares, if they paid for this and they destroy it, it does not matter what goes into making it. They have paid for all of this, and for those who think it is wasteful I am sure you have not recycled all of your old electronics so again who cares.

woodekc   April 7th, 2010 12:14 pm ET

They made more than the $500.00 it cost for the iPad, on people going to their website. They are STILL making $$ on hit for people going there (like you).

Jeff , Douglass, KS   April 7th, 2010 12:17 pm ET

Live Simply so that Others May Simply Live.

Jay Englund   April 7th, 2010 12:18 pm ET

iPad in a blender? There's an App for That. This is the most use you can expect out of an Apple product. Over-sized iPhone at best, and just like the 1st gen iPhones, you are not buying it for making actual phone calls.

Dustin Gardner   April 7th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

Speaking of the devil, notice how the majority of responses are " dumb and wasteful"?! Thats exactly what the director of this video is trying to portray about the I-PAD. The I-PAD could pass as an tampon advertisement, LoL. Stop making products that only last a few years, why not make products that last a lifetime and backed up a lifetime, no more of these expensive gimmicks that only last a few years.

Steveo   April 7th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

I think it's brilliant marketing on Blendtec's part. Think about it. He got 2.8 million people to view his company's blender ad for about $500. You ask any marketing agency to get you that kind of exposure and I guarantee you it will cost more than 500 dollars.

mike t   April 7th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

Blending 10 iPads would be quasi-wasteful. Blending one is marketing genius.

And, chances are, most of the people crying "environmental doom" on this website are still utilizing/wasting more resources than the vast majority of the world's population. Hypocricy, like iPads in a blender, defines the sad hilarity that is the anonymous internet.

Sarah Palin   April 7th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

IPad is GOD, destroying iPad is sacrilege. These pagans should be executed and put in the blender. Then they will go and burn in hell forever and ever

Jeff   April 7th, 2010 12:21 pm ET

1789

You said grow up and don't worry about it.

Let me guess you are an authority on the environment.

I have degree in Environmental Science, worked for the EPA as an Air Pollution Control Officer, was hired by the US government to do Environmental work in Armenia, tested soil water radiation industrial air emissions.

But I don't know anything about the impacts of pollution and the effects on the environment and human health.

If you have never been out of the united states then you cannot judge at all. You grow up and see the world. You will be shocked.

bewildered   April 7th, 2010 12:21 pm ET

well ... the more I read, the more I realize I've just been absorbed and at least briefly intrigued by BlendTec's gimmic (did I spell that right?). silly me. I'll try to remember not to click on such silly links in the future.

john foley   April 7th, 2010 12:22 pm ET

It's hardware, not a religious icon. You act like someone defecated on a church altar.

clearly the posters here take themselves (and steve job's with his cult of personality brand) WAY TOO SERIOUSLY! the IPAD is just another piece of electronics, Remember the Apple Newton? No?

it was just another of Steve Job's attempts to re-create star trek (before the electronics and sofware were up to it...) and even his (albeit not as powerfull as these days) cult of personality could not sell that piece of junk.

It's hardware, not a religious icon

Howard   April 7th, 2010 12:23 pm ET

These Apple fanboys and fangirls need to get a life. If someone wants to destroy their recently purchased iPad to make a statement of some kind, that's their privilege. They paid for it.

Someone   April 7th, 2010 12:23 pm ET

But is it edible?...

Sarah Palin   April 7th, 2010 12:25 pm ET

The iPad experience is like communion, so in a sense that makes it edible

bitterberry   April 7th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

It sucks and it's wasteful, but if they paid for it then who gives a crap

Me   April 7th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

Dorkus Maximus....are you trying to tell us that carrots and ice cubes are harder to blend than an IPad? If you are, I would like you to make a video comparing the durabilty of a block of "soft" aluminum and a carrot; first, spike the aluminum off your forhead, chances are you wont be conscious to make the carrot portion or the video.

The blender guy is pretty smart in my opinion. Spend a mere $500 and make back 10 times that? Yup, sounds good to me.

Sarah Palin   April 7th, 2010 12:27 pm ET

And by the way, YES it is a religion called Apple and iPad is its prophete

AE   April 7th, 2010 12:28 pm ET

"So much went into making it" – is that the ONLY reason some folks feel this is wrong?
H-bombs were also built by a lot of intelligent scientists working with rare materials. But we generally agree they are bad things and many are disassembled yearly. So what if some are of the opinion that the I-I-Pad is dumb and then wreck one?
The Blendtec guys (and anyone) worked for the money they spent on it, and gave it to Apple to pay all those laborers and miners etc... who built the I-Pad they wrecked. Once you have bought it, it's yours to do with as YOU please. Individual freedom means the freedom to do dumb things. If what you do is really dumb – you pay for it with the consequences. Freedom.

Jon   April 7th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

How abotu the next person wanting to do this (destroy an iPad) give me the iPad and I will create one from old laptop parts that no one will know isn't an iPad and we'll call it even. You destroy old useless technology and I get an iPad.

werd   April 7th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

I like pie

Matthias   April 7th, 2010 12:36 pm ET

Hmmm, I am thinking that this may be the perfect thing for the new iPad... a blender. Great idea.

Chris   April 7th, 2010 12:38 pm ET

HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THINGS POSSIBLE....I want one of the blenders but $800 NO FREAKIN WAY haha

Brendan   April 7th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

Ipads are the waste of money what a piece of crap, GO BLENDTEC!

Olga   April 7th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

I agree with the environmentalist's statements. Some people just don't realize how many resources went into making the things they take for granted.

Warhammer   April 7th, 2010 12:40 pm ET

People...can't live with them...can't KILL them!!!

Carmon   April 7th, 2010 12:41 pm ET

You know what? I think I need to order one of their blenders just so I can smash it or maybe I could put it in my blender.......Sarcasim! Do you see how dumb that sounds.

Josh   April 7th, 2010 12:42 pm ET

I think people are just flaunting the wastefulness of American culture. We're so spoiled rotten and our dreams come true are so abundant that we smash them for fun.

J Man   April 7th, 2010 12:42 pm ET

Environmentalists are upset? You guys need to chill out, this is just for fun. Last time I checked we still live is free country, so if a guy wants to blend an iPad, it is his business.

Someone   April 7th, 2010 12:43 pm ET

He should sprinkle that dust on himself and think happy thoughts.....

joe   April 7th, 2010 12:44 pm ET

I thought the videos were halarious. Anyone who is troubled by them should worry about their health because stressing over something so small is a sign that they'll probably have heart problems long before most people do.

KimSouthO   April 7th, 2010 12:44 pm ET

Okay, more hype, more crap. Maybe without all of the media, these types of actions wouldn't continue, casue what would be the fun in that ? I just think with a down turned economy, it is a waist of money to put something of this nature in the blender after paying that much for the item.

Penny   April 7th, 2010 12:45 pm ET

Lighten up, everyone. This is FUNNY!

Deorai   April 7th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

I may not like Apples products, but the destruction of them is still wrong. It is a waste fot the resources that went into them. I almost guarantee that the two guys that destroyed them just after buying them didnt know how to despose of them properly, and those iPad remains are most likely sitting in a dump poisening the ground, water, and plants around them, which will be eaten or drunk by animals, which will be eaten by other animals, and then eaten by us. See what repercussions this can cause people? DONT DO IT.

TonyKMN   April 7th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

I guess allowing people to do whatever they want with their own possessions that they purchased with their own money is a foreign concept to most of the people responding...

JF   April 7th, 2010 12:47 pm ET

"Twice as fast?" Comparing a mass-produced Apple product for consumers to the "Mona Lisa?" Give me a break. At least admit that buying Apple is a fashion and ego boost instead of a tech choice any more responsible than another.

Someone   April 7th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Fred Evil   April 7th, 2010 12:56 pm ET

LOL! These blenders are awesome. At least someone found a good USE for the iPad, aside from separating stupid people from their money.

Pat   April 7th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

What ever happend to letting people do what they want to do? If I want to drive an Astro Van that gets 13 MPG, that is my choice. (And my wallet being effected) So get back in your runway Toyota and let me live my life without having to hear that I am single-handedly ruining the Earth.

Patrick   April 7th, 2010 1:00 pm ET

The “Will it Blend” guys are doing NOTHING wrong. In fact, they are genius. Look at all us idiots that read this article and then took the time to post about it. This kind of publicity AND a link directly on the front of CNN’s website for only a few hundred dollars and the time expended to operate a camera? As a guy with a marketing degree, I strongly envy this advertising approach and wish I was responsible for it: The “Will it Blend” took up about a half hour discussion in one of my classes and is a front runner for one of the best viral ads ever created!

As for the guys that buy an iPad and smash it at the check out counter . . . I’d much rather someone else buy one and smash it over their head. Then continue the cycle until they’re all running to the store with migraines. What point are you trying to prove? That you spent hours of your time waiting in line to prove a point that I still don’t get? You have money? You have free time? Good for you . . . self centered piece POS. Go be resourceful.

Al   April 7th, 2010 1:00 pm ET

Spend $500 and millions have watched the "blender ads", cheap and effective marketing campaign actually... =)

Jay   April 7th, 2010 1:03 pm ET

If you look hard at the iPad in the video, the guy removed the aluminum cover on the back right before breaking it. So, for the first time ever on "Will It Blend?", the answer is no. Shame on the old blender man for lying about it.

Brit   April 7th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

wow u guys are idots for destroying ipads if you guys got that kind of money why don't you put it to use like charity or maybe HATTI there are thousands of people who need help everyday help them or HELP ANIMALS who are abused and starving to death everyday why don't you put your money to use jackn a***** and in about 5 to 10 years you had better not be one of those peolple who go bank rubt.

Amy   April 7th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

It doesn't matter if he is blending an iPad or a rubber hose for all I care. The point is that it is a waste to the environment, and not just because HE is blending it, but that in general this in another example of how the greed for the dollar is teaching us and especially kids that waste is okay. Sure, this is one example, but how many others can you think of out there? How many times a day does someone throw away something that could be recycled or reused? Granted there is the thought that this one little thing doesn't really matter. But, if you have millions of people saying this one little thing doesn't really matter, how much bigger does the problem become? I agree that this is not "real" news, but let's face it, there is not much of that out there anymore because "real" news doesn't pay.

Mike   April 7th, 2010 1:08 pm ET

Okay, let me see. The iPAD has an LCD screen, right. Do a little research LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. The Liquid Crystal substance is known and powerful carcinogen! These people definately have an ID 10 T error floating around.

Ivan   April 7th, 2010 1:14 pm ET

What can you expect? It doesn't run Flash.

Get Smart   April 7th, 2010 1:15 pm ET

My only comments are regarding the average IQ of those (most of) posting comments for this story.

1) What part of 'marketing' do you people not understand??? "Will it Blend" is genius .. It cost this guy $500 to reap the benefit of the equivelant of millions of advertising dollars.

2) For those of you who are blasting Apple and their products... its the most innovative company on the planet. If you disagree, you are uninformed so please educate yourself and stop being a hater.

3) Why do you care that people want to break their posessions? Do you think that it is possible that they would have rather used that money to give back to society?? If these people dont have a reasonable explanation (like BlendTec guy), then they are idiots. You can find comfort that their stupidity will catch up with them sooner or later and cost them way more than the cost of an iPad.

ts amazing that you can get up in the morning and tie youor own shoes.

Trends   April 7th, 2010 1:25 pm ET

An ok story, but does anyone see CNN's trend to have comments on EVERY story as a bad thing? The internet is not a forum of intelligent debate, or opinions...

(yes i see the irony in my opinion on this matter)

LOUCIFER   April 7th, 2010 1:25 pm ET

I'm not a fan of Apple. I had an iPod. Was never interested in an iPhone. The iPad intrigues me though. How can a company put out a product so lack-luster and basicly promote it as the greatest thing since Leap-The-Dips. I agree that Archos was way ahead of Apple years ago and although they dont have the promotional advantage Apple has, the product is superior. The iPad has no camera, no WiFi, no Flash Media, etc....
Wait until version 4 or 5 comes out before you waste your money, or better yet ... DON'T!

Just My Opinion

Anonemoose   April 7th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

The man blended a golf club once. Everyone who's complaining can stop paying attention and QQ elsewhere. He is promoting a product that is far more incredible that the iPad will ever be. Go buy a tablet notebook and be amazed at how much more it can do for the same price...

Mark   April 7th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

Chuck Norris told him to do it.

Person   April 7th, 2010 1:36 pm ET

Whether or not it blends, it sure shreds the average person's bank account balance.

MW   April 7th, 2010 1:38 pm ET

Who cares?! Is iPad destruction CNN newsworthy? If that's the case, we're in real trouble! There are more important issues to worry about!

plc5_250   April 7th, 2010 1:50 pm ET

I for one do truly appreciate the BlendTec videos. And I think it is great that BlendTek has finally found a good use for the iPad.

Personally, I am waiting for someone to test the flammability rating of the iPad – with Thermite or some equal substance!

Kane   April 7th, 2010 1:52 pm ET

It is amazing that anyone is calling this "a waste"! Blendtec (a real company) has gotten 3,000,000 viewers to watch their product demo on YouTube alone for $600. These people are geniuses! If you did not manage to piece that together for yourself, then perhaps the "moron" is....

Chavez   April 7th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

@Christian

Your username proves the extend of your intelligence as well.

CNN is broad on it's news, it's not like everyone wants to be exposed to media aimed towards sensation such as the recent shooting of a journalist or some other death toll that's dominating all other news sources anyways. For the people that are not interested in such mainstream media -> Go CNN. For those that are -> Go Fox News.

Eric   April 7th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

I think it's pretty stupid myself and a real waste of money. But, hey, if they want to spend their money that way, that's up to them.

Mss   April 7th, 2010 2:02 pm ET

It's really very wasteful in terms of resources, and also wasteful because uh...hey...i'll take the ipad they're throwing in the blender if they don't want it...

however stories like this just give them what they want....why would they blend an ipad for their own sake...they want the attention.

Kane   April 7th, 2010 2:07 pm ET

MSS – One must also consider the "resources" that would be required to get 3,000,000 people to view a product demo without this incredibly efficient publicity stunt. They may have to create an expensive slick television commercial, or even worse, publish ads in magazine's that print hundreds of thousands of issues worth of paper. The more I think about it, the greener this product demo looks.

joe   April 7th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

Fatikh khabibullaev – what are you 12? haha that sounded like a middle school essay.

they want to destroy stuff they bought with thier own money. so be it, quit complaining about it.

Norm   April 7th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

I didnt read all the comments, so if I am repeating, sorry... BUT...

It might seem wasteful, unless you consider this company has had 3 million people plus watch their "commercial" for the cost of one iPad and production costs. Probably a lot cheaper than buying time on a network show that will be tivo/taped/dvr-ed and sped through.

Of course, I'm not quite sure I can remember the company's name right now...

Cyber   April 7th, 2010 2:18 pm ET

Everyone repeat after me: "Marketing Stunt" Billions of $$$ are spent on marketing each year, most of which is a complete waste since it fails to reach the intended audience. Se la vie.

Kels   April 7th, 2010 2:22 pm ET

I think it's damn funny. Who cared what the Treehugger thinks.

Tony   April 7th, 2010 2:24 pm ET

Who cares?

Mark   April 7th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

@christian

Steve   April 7th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

Is Treehugger an insult? What does it mean, someone who cares about the environment that they live in? You probably care about your house, right? Does that make you a kitchen hugger?

So to be clear; treehuggers are people who actually have the ability to care about their living space outside the walls of their home. Sound right?

Eric J   April 7th, 2010 2:34 pm ET

What in the world are people thinking. The cost of an iPad could feed many people. Not to mention this is just totaly idiotic.

Carl   April 7th, 2010 2:34 pm ET

the iPad sucks...

Yerma   April 7th, 2010 2:36 pm ET

Ok fanboys, I realize that most of you liken the destruction of any Apple product to the crucifiction, but that's simply because you're so caught up in the propaganda that reality has given up on you completely. For example:

Fanboy says: "We are so cynical and self absorbed that we can make a joke by destroying an item that would absolutely TRANSFORM the lives of so many poorer villages. To all those e-comedians; think about sharing your overflowing wealth with someone who Needs it. Dammit."

As a proponent of reality, I reply:
One of the largest complaints about the iPad so far is the poorly implemented wireless. If you can't get a signal at Starbucks, it's not going to work in some unnamed village in the middle of a third-world country. An iPad won't change their lives. Odds are they'll just use it as a Frisbee and it will end up getting broken anyway.
And to counter the fanboy "it just works": So does Linux. Linux will run on PC hardware, which costs much less than a Mac, and there are many Linux distributions which are available for exactly $0.

Mike   April 7th, 2010 2:44 pm ET

"Remember the Apple Newton? No?

Actually when the apple message pad (aka newton) came out, jobs was not involved with apple. He came back to apple when they bought Next computing from him.

lIllI   April 7th, 2010 2:46 pm ET

They spent their own money, not yours, on the iPad to be able to do with it as they please. I am happy they were generous enough to share their footage with the rest fo the world just to get all the Apple fanboyz all riled up.

My only complaint is that they didn't do it in front of the masses trying to get into the stores to see their reaction. It would have been priceless!

Robert   April 7th, 2010 2:47 pm ET

Why is it that everyone needs to bash the iPad?
First thing first, disclaimer: I'm not a fanboy. I am all for PC and microsoft, not even linux or ubuntu or anything else. I do have an iPhone, because the company swapped the Black Berries for iPhones. I'm happy with it. It doesn't handle email and calendar like the BB, but it's good all around. Yes other phones out there are touch screens and handle multimedia and all that, but iPhones are just too slick.

That said, I repeat: Why is it that many people need to bash the iPad?
What some people don't understand is that everything has an audience. And no audience is better than any other just because they prefer one product over another.
Again, I have an iPhone and neither the fact that it doesn't have flash nor the fact that it can't run 2 apps at the same time have hindered my enjoying the other qualities of the phone. The next guy maybe NEEDS flash on his phone to handle some flash enabled life support system we may not know of. And he NEEDS it to work in the background while he performs other tasks. If that's the case, then there are hundreds of phones out there he can buy. No need to bash.

Apple has created a business model where they tightly control development on their platform in order to control the quality. That's just the way they roll. And they've made a lot of money out of it, all while keeping their customers happy. That's what every business strives for. What's to bash? One can argue their customers are naive and gullible- but who's problem is that? They are happy with their purchase, whether it is justified in your eyes or not.

Again, there are so many options out in the world that there is no reason to even pay attention to Apple and it's iPhones or iMacs or iPads if their feature set is of no interest to you.

lIllI   April 7th, 2010 2:51 pm ET

Robert: " Why is it that many people need to bash the iPad?"

Simple: its so easy to get the Apple fanboys all worked up and into a tizzy. Its too easy that it should be a crime! Kind of like taking candy from a baby. Dangle a shiny object with an Apple logo on it in front of them and they will arrive in groves, frothing at the mouth.

razorlala   April 7th, 2010 2:52 pm ET

oh come on, whats with the ppl saying its wasteful and lots of resources and time is made into creating the ipad? ipad is like.... an oversized iphone. year 2008 iphone is launched. in year 2010 an oversized iphone, the ipad is launched. whats in 2012? an oversized ipad, the iboard? wad about in year 2014? an oversized iboard, the imat?

lIllI   April 7th, 2010 2:54 pm ET

Razor, you're thinking too logical even for Apple. Next up the iCalc. A simple calculator which is unable to compute simple math. Press any key and it will simple display an "Apple" followed by a few "$" signs on the LCD.

OB   April 7th, 2010 2:54 pm ET

I dont care what you do with your money or your things. if you want to purchas a new I-Pad and then destroy it be my quest. My only question is why would someone care to write an article about it and furthermore why did I waste my time reading and then posting my opinion...... O ya cause I'm getting paid to!!!

Megan   April 7th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

I see SO many people whining about the stupid IPad. Lame. BlendTec is GREAT! This guy is a genius. He blends things like this that no one would ever think to blend, so that he can show off how much his blenders rock! That is marketing genius if you ask me! So he is buying things with his own money.. And destroying them. So what? They'll be garbage in the end anyways... but at least this time, they won't sit in a landfill wasting space and never doing anything but rusting and or possibly putting chemicals in the ground.. :) So people, get off your high horse and give it a rest.. He isn't going to stop doing it just because a few people think its dumb and wasteful.

Ed   April 7th, 2010 2:56 pm ET

What Apple needs to do is make something that cant be blended...of course it may be impossible but if they did people would stop complaining that way everyone can get on with their lives.

lIllI   April 7th, 2010 2:56 pm ET

We would see more Apple users commenting on this article except they are all having problems trying to connect via WiFi on their iPads at the moment!
:P

OB   April 7th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

Hey RAZORLALA. If the people at apple read your post they may offer you a job!

Steverino12   April 7th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY HILARIOUS! I LOVED IT!

oldsnakemgs4   April 7th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

I am so sick and tired of these idiots and our idiotic obsession with youtube. Oh well, its a direct reflection of our society and the morons that spew forth from it. One day America will wake up and decide that we need to return to a more conservative and moralistically humble way of life, but I'm afraid it will be to late. One day in the not to distant future, our politicians will be great speakers without any action, our children will consume loads of filth from TV and other forms of media, and people will worship Hollywood and all of its "reality" trash...oh wait, we're already there.

Terry   April 7th, 2010 3:01 pm ET

Love it! Been a huge fan of the "Will it blend" series for a long time. And for all you folks whining about it - get a sense of humor!

Frog   April 7th, 2010 3:01 pm ET

What they fail to see is that the very production of the iPad was a waste of resources, not its own destruction.

Jeff   April 7th, 2010 3:06 pm ET

To oldsnakemgs4,

I completely agree with you.

fred   April 7th, 2010 3:06 pm ET

The only thing dumber than blending an iPad is the ipad itself.

You   April 7th, 2010 3:08 pm ET

And how many of the people complaining that this is a waste actually donate money to some charity? It's called advertising, now go buy something.

nofarm   April 7th, 2010 3:10 pm ET

Many follow apple blindly without question. If the apple users actually read about the ipad they will see that it was not the best product released. There are very many issues and defects with the ipad. So before raging about when you see these kind of things, just leave it. do not reply or write a flame about it. Just let it go.

ThisJUSTIN   April 7th, 2010 3:13 pm ET

This blog is ridiculous!!

WHO CARES!!

David   April 7th, 2010 3:16 pm ET

A complete waste of a perfectly good iPad. As usual, the majority of the people bashing it either don't own one, have never put their hands on one, or are just general Apple haters.

BTW... No wi-fi problems here.

But hey, as long as it wasn't my iPad in the blender knock yourself out. Pity.

k   April 7th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

Oh please. The iPad is not sacred. Let it blend!

fred   April 7th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

youtube is a great invention. i've learned a lot of fullfilling information from watching videos. As an American that has been a rock & roll drummer his entire life, my life was changed when I read Mickey Hart's book Drumming to the Edge of Magic. After reading that book, I sold my drumkit and starting acquiring hand drums from across the world. Youtube is a constant source of information and training from the masters that play these instruments, something i never would have gotten 20 years ago. I apologize if you're "old, conservative, and moralisticly humble," but get out of my way, I'm trying to progress.

Tom   April 7th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

I think "Treehugger" needs to get a life. Yes, these guys trashed their iPads. They trashed THEIR property. Frankly, Treehugger doesn't know what they're going to do with what's left. Perhaps they are going to recycle the electronics, and know that they'll have to do it eventually anyways.

Either way though, people need to get over being worked up because of what someone does with property they legally purchased so long as it's not hurting anyone else. But that's not likely to happen since the national pasttime isn't baseball, it's nosiness.

AcE   April 7th, 2010 3:30 pm ET

All you apple fanboys got trolled and the people destroying their Ipads are doing for the lulz and LOLing at you. Good job morons.

Ray Ray   April 7th, 2010 3:47 pm ET

Don't the rest of you have anything better to do than worry about what someone else is doing. Mind your business and get back to work before I tell your boss that you are wasting his/her money when you should be doing what he/she hired you for. OH yeah 90% of you should brush up on your spelling.

Justin M   April 7th, 2010 3:48 pm ET

The impact on the environment from destroying those ipads are a fraction of the impact on the environment made by creating them.

Ever throw away an old telephone, tv, computer, printer, stereo, walkman, or any other electronic device? What exactly do you do with your old electronic devices? The majority of these devices cannot be dismantled and disposed of properly, even by the companies that are commissions to do so. It's much more common to melt the electronic device down, extract the precious metals from it, and sell that part for money, and dispose of the rest the good ol' fashioned land-fill way. The rest goes up in good ol' black smoke. Though filtered before released into the air.

So, this dude pays $550 and got 2,800,000 views on YouTube to advertise his blender? That's possibly one of the best returns on investment ever. Also with very LITTLE impact to the environment compared to the impact of actually producing a television commercial.

If you would rather he gave the money to you, the actual ipad to you, or used it to pay your school tuition, not a problem. You just pay him the amount of profit-money he will be recieving from the views and advertising for his product. As that would be the monetary 'value' of that particular ipad. I suspect you'd be much better off just buying one from the store yourself.

I'm going to buy one of those blenders... would do a much better job making iced drinks and smoothies. Done, and done.

jyoti   April 7th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

When I came to the USA, almost 7.5 years ago, the first thing that struck me was the many inane and silly things that get to the first page of new sites and papers. And I see that the tradition is still going strong!

wendell   April 7th, 2010 4:00 pm ET

Why waste money to do some dumb videoflick. Eventhough ipad has many defects, still destroying ipad is such a absurd move. Might as well give the ipads to people who really needs it or give it to the poor.

Robert   April 7th, 2010 4:01 pm ET

It's called advertising people. No they won't send you an ipad , or $500, just like Coca-Cola won't send you $$ from their advertising budget. What's the difference between spending $500 to blend an ipad or spending $500 to put an ad in a newspaper. Wow the Internets is making people dumber than ever. Or maybe it's just giving a voice to all the dumb people that were already there.

Nathan Sokalski   April 7th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

I do have to admit that I'd rather stick an iPad in a blender and eat it than use it, it's probably (excuse me, I mean definitely) got more nutritional value than it does computing power anyway. Even though I'm a generous enough guy that I'd probably give it to a friend or something if I won one in some contest (although the chances of me choosing the iPad as a prize would mean very few prize choices), I would also get a lot of satisfaction out of smashing it against a table or hitting it with a sledgehammer instead!

Ross   April 7th, 2010 4:05 pm ET

I wonder if this dorks hand would fit in the blender? Hey, why don't you try it!!

Jonah   April 7th, 2010 4:14 pm ET

Ray Ray's comment was hillarious!

Chris   April 7th, 2010 4:17 pm ET

I honestly dont care if the break it. it is just a piece junk

Vince   April 7th, 2010 4:17 pm ET

You guys cry too much. It's a publicity stunt. For $600 they got 2.8 million people to view their videos.

I'd like to see you do better.

sara   April 7th, 2010 4:19 pm ET

ipads are about $500 right? As long as they paid for them ... WHO CARES what they do with them? Sure it might take a lot to make an ipad, but as long as the company got their money for it why does it matter to them what the customer does with it? If I paid all that money then I'm going to do whatever the hell I want with it!

Bill   April 7th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

People, people, people..., PLEASE get over yourselves, this is just brilliant "out of the box thinking" marketing!

James   April 7th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

Well considering the iPads numerous short-comings, whose to say that "viral blender ad" isn't the best use for it? I mean it's not going to have any other actual use for a buisness...

Fred Dickey   April 7th, 2010 5:03 pm ET

The iPad doesn't have Flash Player 10 on it because Apple is stupid and doesn't realize that a lot of websites currently use Flash 10, making the iPad's web browser as broken as the iPhone's browser.

Stupid Apple...the iPad deserves to be ground up into dust.

Get a Google Nexus.

jack merridew   April 7th, 2010 5:17 pm ET

"i thank BlendTec for empowering people to self-identify as morons. If someone sends me the link to this video for its comedic value, I know to de-friend them, thus protecting me from the eventual drama and disaster that surely awaits ever actually sharing physical space with them."

your so fail and you dont even know it

Naved Haqqi   April 7th, 2010 5:22 pm ET

Ingenious!! I would've paid $5000 or blended 10 ipads to get 3.2 million hits on my company website. I'd do that In a heart beat!!!

merey   April 7th, 2010 5:59 pm ET

i think it is a perfect way to show the only viable use for an apple product. among stealing proprietary ideas from others they make some of the worst products every year, and it is only the blind followers that by these stolen and poorly designed pieces of technology.

Justin   April 7th, 2010 6:00 pm ET

There's a big difference between destroying something for the sake of creating video of it being destroyed, and just buying one and smashing it on the sidewalk.

For instance, virtually every movie ever created has consumed a vast amount of resources, which a single iPad cannot compare to, but most of us don't consider it any more wasteful than any other industry. Blending an iPad for something that has been viewed 2.8 million times is actually extremely efficient by these standards.

On the other hand, buying one just to smash it serves no purpose whatsoever... If you have some gripe with the iPad, the best way to show it is to NOT buy one.

AppleBites   April 7th, 2010 6:15 pm ET

I wonder if he can do this with my Apple AirMac. Due to poor design, the sound stopped working and Apple wants another $300 (just to fix the sound card). Apple can have all of their Iproducts and I will just wait to buy the next non-Apple Slate.

FishBlenders   April 7th, 2010 6:23 pm ET

I personally would still prefer to see Dan Akroyd blending up helpless fish in the Bass-O-Matic 500. http://www.hulu.com/watch/19046/saturday-night-live-bassomatic

Dustin   April 7th, 2010 6:46 pm ET

Will it blend has been a popular series on youtube for years now. This isnt anything new....so just calm down....its all in good fun....once you buy something you can do with it what you want

john   April 7th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

Look, anyone (who's half tech savy) know has ingrained in their memory what the most awesome blender is should they ever need to buy one.

Did the blender company spend millions of dollars on advertising? No.

They spent $300 and posted a video on youtube for free.

And why does CNN have a part in "creating" hype around apple things? Less people bought an iPad than a hybrid car, and I know which one of these two consumer items makes a real difference.

Why keep going on and on about a limited functionality gadget that simply is sleek and little else?

I don't understand why CNN is blowing this Apple thing out of proportion unless Time Warner has been bought off massively by Apple Inc.

It's just a girly toy people, get over it (or refuse to be sucked into it by CNN /Time Warner).

NightHawk   April 7th, 2010 7:34 pm ET

Are you guys kidding me? You go on and on about how its wasteful and people spent lots of time making it and such. Well let me pose you this question. Do you really think that the Blendtec guy bought the Ipad? Do you think that the guys who smashed the Ipad within minutes actually bought it and received nothing from it? No, the Blendtec guy either received the Ipad from apple themselves, or his company bought it for this PR stunt. The other guys pose a different scenario, in which they may have purchased it, but due to the views and hits they will receive on the internet, they will easily make over 2x the money back. Hell, I remember seeing a video of a guy who was first in line to buy the ps3 when it just came out, only to smash it as soon as he got outside. Yes, it might be considered wasteful by some, but in the end all parties benefit.
Oh and if you are worried about the metal mines and such, here's a thought, don't buy the Ipad.

Josh   April 7th, 2010 7:37 pm ET

Okay to start things off.

Video is a very smart way to advertise. The whole video/show is to advertise the product in a very fun and entertaining way... They don't need to spend millions of dollars on advertising it on TV, Radio, Newspaper.. etc...

To those who think it is a great waste... Yeah sure it is a great waste of $500 or so dollars... However, what gives you the right to question their actions? Is wasting $500 harming you? Americans waste so much money with fancy cars, big houses, fast food, and so much more...

Those who got morally outraged about wasting the money on this and not using it towards charity, cancer foundations and so forth... Who cares? Why do we all need to all focus on everything like that? Do we live in a communistic country?

We live in America.... Place of freedom and the right to do anything we please as long as it does not infringe upon another person's right and does not harm others...

So get over it...

Furthermore, if you feel so outraged stop being so naive... Please... In America how do we get products cheap? Cheap labor.... Where does cheap labor come from? 3rd World countries... Its the reality of life... Yeah its not fair and yes it does suck... Too bad... That is life...

Learn to live with it...

NightHawk   April 7th, 2010 7:44 pm ET

As I scrolled down the comments I finally started to see people who know what they are talking about. All in all, the Ipad is a glorified paperweight that costs probably 4x what it cost to make (as is the trend with all apple products). The only people genuinly buying these things are those that follow "The Apple" as their exalted savior, those that like shiny things, those that have a lot of money and need something to spend it on, and those that aren't overly tech savy.

Oh, and its not a waste. You buy the Ipad or any non-essential object in this world with the hopes that it will serve you well, giving you more time to do what you please, or in turn to directly make you happier. As a result, if smashing the Ipad makes the guy happy then so be it.

danster   April 7th, 2010 8:48 pm ET

Must be nice to be able to throw away money like that. Their daddies must work for Goldman Sachs. At least they aren't out destroying mailboxes and shooting up roadsigns.

Ken   April 7th, 2010 9:00 pm ET

lol @ danster. It is basically an advert for a blender company. That is what this guy does to advertise how tough and great his blenders are.

Ross   April 7th, 2010 10:08 pm ET

I'll bet my desktop would fare much better against the blender. It would certainly out perform the iPad, and I paid less, a year ago, than the cost of an iPad. About the only thing that won't out perform the iPad is a peice of paper.

Zach   April 7th, 2010 10:14 pm ET

I agree this is retarded you should give it to someone who needs it instead of wasting it people worked hard 2 make that thing!!!i think people will get mad from this kinda stuff.

gkh   April 7th, 2010 10:57 pm ET

What if you put the iPad in a blender?

It will be a blunder !!!!!

gkh   April 7th, 2010 10:58 pm ET

What if you put the iPad in a blender?

It will be a blunder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gvii   April 7th, 2010 11:19 pm ET

Hey Zach, no NEEDS an iPad. And I'm pretty sure they spent their own money on it, so they can do to it as they please. And considering all the advertising it's obviously scored them, I'd say it was a pretty good deal.

johngregory   April 7th, 2010 11:22 pm ET

You get Apple sauce.. Can't find anything better for it !!!

1337h4x0rz   April 7th, 2010 11:28 pm ET

hell yeahh!!! blend that overhyped pos good!!! BLEND IT GOOD!!!

Eman   April 7th, 2010 11:30 pm ET

Apple products are very ... useless. That money was wasted when they bought the thing, not when they destroyed it. The resources and effort were wasted when they manufactured the thing, not when they destroyed it. Most Apple lovers I know are superficial, useless and ineffective. I don't really care, but I think Steve Jobs is a thief.

Ro-Ro   April 7th, 2010 11:37 pm ET

Can the blender multi-task? Well, it has gone through too much; YES IT CAN!

Next thing I want to see is a blender blending another blender.

Pat   April 7th, 2010 11:40 pm ET

OMG the movie Idiocracy is comming true !
"The iPad smoothie, it has the electrolytes that idiots crave"

SHS   April 8th, 2010 12:20 am ET

Even though the purpose of this video is to advertise a product, it is not desirable to use iPad to explain how robust it is. iPad is also a product of APPLE and it is valuable for APPLE as the blender is valuable for its company. Moreover, I think this way is also not effective because this advertisement makes us shocked but doesn't

Mark   April 8th, 2010 2:10 am ET

The brainless just get dumber and dumber.

SHS   April 8th, 2010 2:19 am ET

Even though the purpose of this video is to advertise a product, it is not desirable to use iPad to explain how robust it is. iPad is also a product of APPLE and it is valuable for APPLE as the blender is valuable for its company. Moreover, I think this way is also not effective because this advertisement makes us just shocked but doesn't make us believe in the product. Advertisement needs to be creative but this is not creative, just shocking and interesting-(negative meaning).

James   April 8th, 2010 3:17 am ET

If you buy it, it is yours to do with what you wish.

Looks like a big iPhone anyway.

Khan   April 8th, 2010 3:47 am ET

I actually went to check out the blender, cause I hate crappy blenders. That $400 price tag is too high for me though. I don't use a blender that often.

annonymous   April 8th, 2010 7:49 am ET

This does seem somewhat wasteful but as mentioned before everyone is paying/getting paid. You still have to spend the obscene amount to posses the iPad first and you can do whatever you want with it, throw it away, treasure it, or blend it just to see what will happen.

Manny   April 8th, 2010 8:00 am ET

I kind of like the "will it blend" series, you get to so some pretty cool stuff getting blended, lol, watch the "flick a bic" video, it hilarious:-)

Dalton   April 8th, 2010 8:22 am ET

This is dumb.

Kyle   April 8th, 2010 8:25 am ET

You people honestly are sitting, glued to your computers, arguing around with this non-sense idea of blending an iPad?? This has absolutly ZERO effect on your lives. Why arent you reading up on the troops or something far more intelligent??? GET A JOB!

iPad Is a Major Success … Being Destroyed On YouTube | Disinformation   April 8th, 2010 8:45 am ET

[...] CNN's SciTech Blog points out, the iPad is a big hit in a blender: The Web's latest viral video hit comes from [...]

rkm   April 8th, 2010 9:18 am ET

Whats the difference? They end up there anyway, dont blame the people. If they were not made to begin with it would not be a problem.

Windows2000bug   April 8th, 2010 9:37 am ET

That has to void the warranty.

mike   April 8th, 2010 10:37 am ET

its an iSmoothie!

Charles   April 8th, 2010 11:32 am ET

Its their iPad, why not let them do whatever they want.

Get over yourselves   April 8th, 2010 11:45 am ET

Nobody needs an iPad. It's a giant iPod Touch.

You have to have a stick lodged firmly in your rectum to take this seriously.

I would sooner just not buy an iPad than buy one to destroy it, but I respect these guys for doing it, IF they are doing it to send a message (and not because they're idiots). Apple is churning out one stupid derivative product after another and capitalizing on sheep. I guess that's fine, but I will blow $500 on food and booze instead of on yet another completely unnecessary and non-innovative Apple product.

McGyver   April 8th, 2010 12:02 pm ET

Really,who(aside from the blender maker) buys an iPad just to destroy it? Police department should look into those videos to see if any of these idiots match the descriptions of people who have stolen iPads.

Jman   April 8th, 2010 12:06 pm ET

You either have a use for it or you don't. Period. If you as a consumer find the iPad useful and it makes your life more productive then buy one. If it doesn't you probably 1) Can't afford one. 2) Have no use for it, and thats fine.

JMeyer   April 8th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

Hope their parents dont fork over money to help them buy a new car. Would hate to see what they would do with that for a Hyuck,

ryan   April 8th, 2010 2:22 pm ET

what does this kid care about wasting money, mommy and daddy obviously give him all the money he wants!

TT   April 8th, 2010 2:25 pm ET

I think he should go to prison.

keen   April 8th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

If you buy it, it's yours to do whatever with. No matter how idiotic the whatever is.

Kathy   April 8th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

Hey everyone, I just wasted $500 of my mom's hard earned money so I could become a "YouTube Sensation." Next time send the $500 to Haiti, and I'll be impressed.

argofeast   April 8th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

guys guys guys! its their f**king money, once the buy it its theirs, if the soul perpose for buying that ipad in the first place was to destroy it, then they have achieved that goal, if it's their's – then the can do whatever the f**k they want to it. and it might be wasteful to you but its not to them so just shut up about it

jenjen2010   April 8th, 2010 2:51 pm ET

I get the blender guy using this as advertisement for his business...."we can blend anything." I get that.....but the kids buying them and then instantly destroying them I don't get. Why? What was the point? Just shows we have many people that are totally out of touch with how little some people have. They should have donated their $ to a worthy cause instead of basically lighting a match to it. Spoiled Brats!!!

dwl   April 8th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

To the parents of the young man who smashed the newly purchased ipad with the baseball bat. What kind of person are you raising. Take $500 and flush it down the toilet while people in this world are starving. If that is the kind of moral values your son has, I hate to see what your moral values are like. Way to much money in the hands of self centered, self serving morons.

Tom   April 8th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

When I think that people in this country and others are starving, when I think that my students go with out food and shelter, I can only think that these people are abusive of the gifts they had... I Middle School we would say that their "Frontal Lobe hasn't yet developed." I can only hope that their excess money be taken away from them and given to the hungry and homeless, now that might not be funny, but it would be ironic.

creep   April 8th, 2010 3:37 pm ET

I think the point here isn't necessarily what product they are destroying, but more importantly the fact that it's so pointless. And the kids posting videos destroying the ipads? These are the morons that will hope to run our country one day. It's a shame to see that the current economic environment has done nothing to teach them the value of saving money vs. being so openly wasteful.

Ballz   April 8th, 2010 3:42 pm ET

make room in that blender for all these politicians

IG   April 8th, 2010 3:46 pm ET

everyone here seems to focus on one of several points and disregards everything else.

a) yes, blendtec is doing this for publicity, and it works. good for them.

b) the rest of the idiots destoying brand new electronics (doesn't matter if it's an ipad or not) are stupid, and wasteful. it's akin to smashing someone's mailbox for your own personal amusement. enjoy being sociopaths.

c) yes, the ipad is not a full-blown computer as we are used to them. if you're a power user, go get a real computer. for the vast majority of people that just need to surf the web and check their email, it's probably a good appliance. no need to insult the choices of others based on your personal (and limited) opinion.

d) just because you played with an ipod 5 years ago and didn't like it, doesnt mean apple and it's products are 'crappy'. if their sales and stock price have anything to say, they are clearly doing something right. those techno-junkies that seem to know it all thing that the company is trying to cater to them. they are catering to the masses and it works.

sterilizenow   April 8th, 2010 4:27 pm ET

" Jesus April 7th, 2010 11:00 am ET

That was cool. I wonder when people will get tired of apple and their icrap. Oh and icrap nano.."

You can always tell the people who cannot get their own iPad or iPhone...clearly Jesus here is one of those jealous folks. Grow up. Have you ever tried an Apple product you moron? There simply is no better user interface.

JD   April 8th, 2010 4:29 pm ET

Sure, it's unfortunate that the kids in the video chose to purchase something and then immediately destroy it. I would say this regardless if it is an expensive computer or the leftover food on their dinner plate that they chose to throw away... It is wasteful, but why are people so completely consumed with anger over that??? The kids paid for it with their money; therefore they have the right to do with it what they please. Once a purchase is made, consumers have no responsibility to the creators and/or manufacturers of that product to use it, enjoy it, or destroy it. What someone does with their property doesn't affect you, so go worry yourself to death over something else!

As for everyone's opinions of the blender, the iPad and other Apple devices, have you ever heard the phrase "Opinions are like a–holes, everyone has them and they all stink...?" I am personally a huge fan of all the Apple products, and guess what?? I don't care what you think about the products, and I don’t care what the reasons were that people choose to destroy them (Publicity stunt? Political statement? Boredom?)… I will continue to use and enjoy them at will, and you are more than welcome to use something else. Isn’t it nice to have choices???

sterilizenow   April 8th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

I guess an Arby's salary is not going to buy you anything from the Apple store is it Elle. Quit being a whiny b1tch who has no clue what a quality product should perform like. Go back to your Windows turds...

Elle said" Elle April 7th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

all of you iPeople need to get off your high horses, I know you had to work many a night at starbucks and urban outfitters to afford your iProducts, but it's a free country and if people want to waste their money on materialistic crap too, even if the intent is to destroy, then they can. now go tweet your outrage, while the rest of the world continues to not care..."

weather girl   April 8th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Why do you all care so much? Get a hobby.

T   April 8th, 2010 4:34 pm ET

publicity to sell a blender is one thing and I can almost understand, but how stupid teenagers are these days, shouldnt suprise anyone.

steven   April 8th, 2010 4:41 pm ET

i sell blend tec blenders for resrtaurant and food service establishment s. I know blend tec is a great machine but yes its a waste to do that to an ipad . I guess they are bored or have enough sales they can throw money away like that instead of giving us sales materials and blendrs for demo purposes..

If you want that belnder lions restaurant equipment and supplies can get it for you but its as much as an ipad.. go figure

Kirk Lazarus   April 8th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

Blending and destroying the iPad is the same thing as someone going out and buying $500 worth of fireworks and watching it explode.

Both groups of people are amused at the outcome.

Both items were created and assembled by people ...

Liz in Seattle   April 8th, 2010 4:48 pm ET

I have to say that I have a Blendtec blender and it is awesome. It can puree anything. I don't know that I will be making many iPad smoothies, but it's nice to know I could if I wanted to.

Jacques-J. Thibault   April 8th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

Realy retarded and stupid. Poor little boy even in is brain.

Ed   April 8th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

Yeah, Like I like Macs, I got like an Iphone and an Ipod and like...uhh..

DancingPotato   April 8th, 2010 5:22 pm ET

Great !!!! Bravo !!!!!! I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Super camp marketing !!!!!!!!!!!

ccz   April 8th, 2010 5:27 pm ET

"Christian April 7th, 2010 10:20 am ET

Congratulations Christian – you also have managed to "self-indentify" as a moron. Clearly spending all of your time locked away in your ivory tower of self-importance has prevented you from hearing about "Will it Blend?" before now. "Will it Blend?" is in fact a form of very inexpensive – and obviously effective judging by the number of hits their videos receive – viral advertising for a company that sells blenders. Try to follow me on this one – they blend a lot of crazy crap to show how strong and durable their blenders are. Spending $400-500 on an iPad to get your message to that many people seems like a good buy to me. As for people who send you a link to the video, they have obviously mistaken you for someone who is not a holier-than-thou d-bag and thought you might like to see something that you don't see everyday. Had they known of your obvious superiority, they clearly wouldn't have dared to waste your time with the mere implication that they may want to irreparably damage your life by sharing physical space with you. Thank you for enlightening us all...

Wizard   April 8th, 2010 6:10 pm ET

People, please, for the love of God, if you are going to post a comment that you want taken seriously, use proper spelling and grammar. Christ.

Bill   April 9th, 2010 2:18 pm ET

I think destroying anything from Apple corp. is good. Keep it up men!

mitch   April 9th, 2010 2:37 pm ET

Someone who goes out and spends 500 dollars on the first version of any apple product is basically doing the same thing as throwing the money away. I think the blending is only speeding up the process of apple product being "obsolete". How many original iPhones are still out there?
Plus its easier to recycle at that point, already broken down.

Sency   April 9th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

this was a funny video. And the reviews so far with the IPAD have been mixed – a lot of good ones – and then some bad ones

machater   April 9th, 2010 6:00 pm ET

This was awesome. Total Ipad pwnage

steven3325   April 10th, 2010 7:18 am ET

I see many people repeating this stunt. LOL. Maybe its what iPad was made for...who knows. People and their toys.

Seems like they do crush well. Hey iPad does do something well. Who knew!!!!!

steven3325   April 10th, 2010 7:26 am ET

not an iPad fan, but the kid is still an idiot.

ron   April 11th, 2010 12:30 pm ET

people should grow up and stop this nonsense. please.

trmpgeek   April 12th, 2010 8:09 am ET

common sense isn't common. great for publicity, bad for the environment.

jess   April 12th, 2010 9:47 am ET

QUICK survey on the iPad for my research class:

Thanks!

LinuxGuy   April 12th, 2010 10:59 am ET

Yawn....

Franko   April 12th, 2010 12:47 pm ET

To protect our freedom to destroy, Soldiers are dying.
Use this freedom and demonstrate the superiority of the American Way !

Frustrated, cheated - don't kick the dog.
Hammer on, not touch type, an iDog application !

Bert   May 2nd, 2010 2:34 pm ET

electronics contain various hazardous materials including heavy metals like lead, cadmium, mercury, etc., as well as components using nanotechnology that can pose health risks to humans. if electronics are not disposed of properly these materials leak into the environment and contaminate drinking water, ecosystems, and agriculture. this is a very serious problem. if you have the money to destroy an ipad, more power to you. but what happens to the ipads after they are destroyed is whats important from an environmental perspective. personally i think destroying electronics is retarded. if the blendtech guy wants publicity he can put a cinder block in his blender. i weep for humanity

Carlos   May 6th, 2010 7:15 pm ET

have you seen this? Way cooler:

Skating the iPad!!!

London spanish escorts   October 20th, 2010 11:46 am ET

I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon. BTW, pretty good design this site has, but don’t you think it should be changed every few months?

Anxiety Depression :   October 28th, 2010 9:23 pm ET

i like comedy that is why i always look for funny videos on metacafe and youtube,.`

jessedziedzic   October 20th, 2011 2:56 pm ET

You couldnt be more on the level!

NEX-5N   November 17th, 2011 2:05 pm ET

Én vagyok nyűgözve! Igazán tanulságos blogbejegyzést itt a barátom. Csak azt akartam mondani, Megjegyzés és lépést tartani a minőségi munkát.

cigarette pas chere   November 21st, 2011 2:34 pm ET

Incredibly well executed read..

Sonographer   November 25th, 2011 2:21 am ET

Thats some intriguing piece!

cigarette pas chere   November 30th, 2011 1:17 pm ET

Thank goodness some bloggers can write. Thanks for this read...

winstrol   December 1st, 2011 10:14 pm ET

Matchless topic, it is very interesting to me )))) tHANKS scitech.blogs.cnn.com tEAM

Imran Khan   December 5th, 2011 9:13 am ET

This surely makes perfect sense to anyone..

création de sites internet   December 12th, 2011 6:28 am ET

This might be this blogs greatest piece online..

get an ipad free   March 30th, 2012 12:43 pm ET

This is really attention-grabbing, You're an excessively professional blogger. I've joined your rss feed and sit up for in quest of extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

Slamet   May 19th, 2012 5:53 am ET

BLog FD cc3b3 the1bb83 hc6b0e1bb9bng de1baabn cho mc3acnh ve1bb81 phe1baa7n coemmnt Disqus ce1bba7a blog mc3acnh c491e1bb83 tre1bb9f le1baa1i thc3a0nh phe1baa7n coemmnt nhc6b0 blog ce1bba7a be1baa1n khc3b4ng, mc3acnh khc3b4ng bik che1bb89nh se1bbada e1bb9f phe1baa7n nc3a0y. Phe1baa7n coemmnt ce1bba7a mc3acnh ko phe1baa3i lc3a0 1 Widget ne1bbafa cho nc3aan chc6b0a bik se1bbada che1bbafa the1babf nc3a0o, be1baa1n vui lc3b2ng gic3bap mc3acnh nha!

Shotgun Internet Markeing   July 22nd, 2012 9:32 am ET

I'll right away snatch your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you've any? Kindly allow me know so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

best smoothie blender   September 12th, 2012 8:33 pm ET

Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth was a entertainment account it. Look complicated to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how can we be in contact?

icons for you   September 13th, 2012 5:24 pm ET

It seems to me, what is it it was already discussed.

By the way, what do you think about this icons site?

icon design   September 14th, 2012 7:17 am ET

You are right.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

Ravza   April 4th, 2013 2:00 am ET

You simply copied an individual else's story Ravza http://infoshos.ru/ru/?idn=10484

Leave Your Comment