SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 9, 2010

Twitter rolls out official BlackBerry app

Posted: 04:35 PM ET

Twitter rolled out its official app for the BlackBerry on Friday, adding a specialized version of the micro-blogging site to the most popular smartphone platform.

According to Twitter's official blog and the BlackBerry Web site, the Twitter app features include:

_ Real-time "push" notifications for direct messages on Twitter
_ Camera and photo integration
_ Notifications when you're Twitter user name is mentioned
_ Integration that links to Twitter when you get a text message or e-mail that includes someone's user name

"Working closely with [BlackBerry maker] RIM to deliver the official Twitter app has been a great experience and we are looking forward to bringing more and more Twitter innovation to BlackBerry," Twitter's blog post said.

The free Twitter app was made available Friday on BlackBerry's Web site.

Apple's iPhone and Google's Android phones seem to get all the buzz, but BlackBerry is still hands down the leader in the smartphone field. But do people think of them more as work tools than social-networking devices?

Will you be tweeting on your BlackBerry?

Posted by:
Filed under: smartphones • Twitter

Sency   April 9th, 2010 9:57 pm ET

it seems Twitter develpers aren't happy about some of this stuff

Kunka9   April 9th, 2010 11:10 pm ET

We dont now how to us twitter please help us

John Lucas   April 10th, 2010 3:03 am ET

Smooth and no problem so far. Official Twitter app for Blackberry is better than other apps developed to access Twitter. Good job!

Ben   April 10th, 2010 4:08 am ET

Yes I will be tweeting from my phone with the new app. As far as iPhones and Android's they're for kids. They're constantly changing and bragging about apps they're just toys for the me too crowd. Blackberry's are for those of us who do REAL work.

Ronelle   April 10th, 2010 4:44 am ET

I love the twitter app for BB, smooth interface, aesthetically pleasing and user-friendly. Will most definitely be tweeting from my BB now.

James   April 10th, 2010 7:59 am ET

It better be great to compete UberTwitter, which already integrates with BB photos, video, and GPS.

Eric   April 10th, 2010 9:34 am ET

I feel silly now... I thought Twitterberry was the offical Blackberry App?

Twitter rolls out official BlackBerry app | Tech Jives Network   April 10th, 2010 10:31 am ET

[...] the full blog at CNN's Scitech blog Posted in Business, Gadgets, TJ News • • Top Of [...]

jacksays   April 10th, 2010 10:42 am ET

I gave up my BB when I got a good look at the Android-based phones. RIM needs to update and get aggressive again. Right now the only thing they do like no other is email... and I have apps on my Android that make up for that.

Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE BB fan... but much like the iPhone (of which I wasn't a fan) the novelty is wearing thin, getting dated, and needs a refresh.

Blackberry Releases Official Twitter App | Jennifer Barbee, Inc. Blog - DotCom Confessions   April 10th, 2010 11:51 am ET

[...] Official Twitter App All you Blackberry users out there – good news in the Twittersphere! Blackberry released its official Twitter app yesterday, making a whole lot of users mighty happy. According to the Twitter blog, the app includes the [...]

CCIE   April 10th, 2010 2:06 pm ET

We will not intergrate Blitter with our BlackBerry Server! its not work related.

danmartin26   April 10th, 2010 7:12 pm ET

"Notifications when you're Twitter user name is mentioned"

TWITTER RELEASES OFFICIAL BLACKBERRY APP, FINALLY! BUT IS IT BETTER THAN UBER?   April 10th, 2010 9:28 pm ET

[...] Source CNN displayedGalleries += '|240'; [...]

steve   April 10th, 2010 9:45 pm ET

Notifications when "you're" Twitter user name is mentioned.

Good one, cnn.

Truth   April 10th, 2010 10:53 pm ET

To Ben: why dod you find it necessary to denigrate the choice of others? You like your BB and other like their iPhone and 'Droid. What's the problem? It sounds like you just need a reason to re-assure yourself that your choice is right.

Are you that insecure?

Jim McNees   April 11th, 2010 1:51 am ET

bb has a leg up on data security too

Weapondrift   April 11th, 2010 6:30 am ET

@ Truth @ Ben

Hes probably just a fanboy. Last I checked I could do everything on my WM phone for work AND play. When was the last yime YOU played Ben?

Tom   April 11th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

I didn't buy the blackberry for work and don't need it.I bought it just for the Social Networking and Love it.

Ben   April 11th, 2010 2:15 pm ET

@Truth – iPhone and Droid or Android phones are toys because all you ever hear talked about is the apps. No one seems to care if they're really good phones. iPhone users complain about there data connections and blame AT&T service, I suspect some of the problems is that the iPhone is a lousy PHONE but a pretty good computer. As for the Android why would you buy something that Google and the carriers can't make up their minds on which operating system version to use 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1 pick one the apps for one version may not work with the other.

@Weapondrift – I had a HTC Touch Pro, the Blackberry beats it hands down.

Spelling Police   April 11th, 2010 4:45 pm ET

"Notifications when you're Twitter user name is mentioned"

Really? HINT: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/it-strategy/2006/06/06/10-flagrant-grammar-mistakes-that-make-you-look-stupid-39273376/ (see #6)

NateArt   April 11th, 2010 10:55 pm ET

Yes, I look forward to a better Twitter app designed to intergrate with BB...

-Nate

Sency   April 12th, 2010 3:13 am ET

it seems there is mixed reviews of the Twitter Blackberry app

jess   April 12th, 2010 9:48 am ET

QUICK survey on the iPad for my research class:

Thanks!

Russ   April 12th, 2010 9:59 am ET

Just downloaded and it seems to work well; I never liked UberTwitter on BB anyway. I just wish that TweetDeck would do a BB app. This is my fav on PC/Mac and it works very well on iPhone.

Ms Foster   April 12th, 2010 10:11 am ET

I tried the new app over the weekend and quickly re-installed the UT app for BB.

The Twitter app for BB is gravely lacking items such as Twittlonger, "Friend Finder", etc.. The interface is cool but there were too many "crashes" .. I am hoping they incorporate these items soon; until then, UT it is..

Dee   April 12th, 2010 10:18 am ET

I completely agree that Blackberry is primarily a work tool and secondarily a social networking device. I had a Blackberry for several years and recently moved over to the iPhone. The BB made me more productive but the iPhone has increased my social networking activities dramatically. My husband is using the Twitter for Blackberry app and he loves it. It's a huge improvement over previous apps for BB such as UberTwitter and Twitterberry.

Robert   April 12th, 2010 10:57 am ET

Best app for Twitter thus far, and it is free. Thanks RIM & Twitter for bring this to us, just wish it would have been sooner!

DJ   April 12th, 2010 12:29 pm ET

While I loved the smooth interface it lacks in features compared to UberTwitter. I ended up deleting it and switching back to UberTwitter. The RIM app made no use of GPS capabilities. I also like the way UberTwitter incorporates features such as TwittLonger, which allows you to Tweet more than 140 characters.

Oliver   April 12th, 2010 2:28 pm ET

a really good app, especially as it's just beta. some features are still missing, like tweeting videos directly, but it looks promising and could soon replace UberTwitter...

Oliver   April 12th, 2010 2:31 pm ET

BlackBerry is a great tool for tweeting, thanks to the keypad. personally I think that BB and Twitter are made for each other😉

ps: the notification of mentions is top!

KPMCO   April 12th, 2010 2:34 pm ET

Replying to Ben: Your comment seems to contradict itself. You claim that specific smartphones are toys, and people don't talk about how good the phone is. While you give a statement to this effect about the iPhone, you said nothing about the quality of an Android based phone like the Droid. You mearely criticized the OS. The phone system for the Droid on Verizon is the best cell phone I've ever used, and the Verizon network is the reason I went with that phone in the first place. Now will it be usuable in Europe? No it won't. So I won't carry it for the 1 week a year that I'm there vacationing. I'd rather use a temp phone for my vacation time than sacrifice use the other 51 weeks a year for something that doesn't really suit my needs. If travelling abroad is a concern, then I'd say a Blackberry is a best choice. But if I'm positioned in the US/canada almost the entire year, I'd rather go with a phone that meets my needs here. Just my own 2 cents.

Ric   April 12th, 2010 3:43 pm ET

I've been using TwitterBerry by Orangatame for as long as I can remember. I'm not sure who is behind the times, Twitter for not launching this till now or BB for not pushing for its development.

Neece   April 12th, 2010 5:19 pm ET

I downloaded the new twitter app as soon as it was launched. I love UberTwitter, but this is by far a better improvement. The only two things I miss from UberTwitter is the old RT feature and how a username pops up once you enter "@". Overall great app, but still a few things that could use tweaking.

Cree   April 12th, 2010 5:27 pm ET

Love my BB. I've been tweeting all along on it. The new app sounds kind of cool, just more updated.

J   April 12th, 2010 6:04 pm ET

"Notifications when you're Twitter user name is mentioned" ?
Come on CNN, let's get some proper grammar on here.

Kruffy   April 12th, 2010 6:48 pm ET

yes yes congrats to RIM and Twitter great move with this app for Blackberry...Love my my Blackberry even more now...

Grammar Police   April 12th, 2010 6:49 pm ET

"Notifications when you're Twitter user name is mentioned"
woops

the heat   April 12th, 2010 8:54 pm ET

BB tour is the best phone i've ever owned. now with the new OS update and the Twitter app – I'm more in love with it than I was before. i agree with other posters, iphone is all about games/apps – used for entertainment, and BB is great for work as the primary function and social networking as secondary. i don't need 1,000 apps on my BB, i'm already on it enough with FB, BBM, gchat, AIM, pandora, emails, txts, and now twitter.

Laurent Decosse   April 12th, 2010 10:37 pm ET

I really like the new Twitter interface and how it replicates the web twitter!
Twitter has never been that seamless!

Proud owner of a Blackberry Curve 8900.

JRG   April 12th, 2010 11:45 pm ET

I downloaded it yesterday on my blackberry and my wifes! I've posted 3 times already from my blackberry. I love it.

Joitou2   April 13th, 2010 7:17 am ET

I love using the new Blackberry application. It is so much easier than going to the regular twitter on Blackberry. Thanks to whoever created this application. God bless!

Captain Spaulding   April 13th, 2010 10:08 am ET

This is so long overdue. The other Twitter apps for BB, of which UberTwitter and Twitterberry were the best, were far lacking in simulating all the things you could do on the main Twitter site. That is what makes the BB Facebook app so immersive, and its high time that RIM made Twiiter for BB as user friendly. I think it will greatly increase the number of BB users who move to Twitter as they get sick of all the fluff that Facebook drowns you with now. Since I have a great Twitter app, I would have no qualms deactivating my Facebook account. Twitter expands on what was so awesome about Facebook in the first place....the status updates with you, your family, and friends and sharing photos and networking with them. Twitter has all of that, without you getting constant updates that 'so and so became a fan of not being a fan of other people being fans of something a celebrity is a fan of' or that 'so and so scored 17,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 points on Bejeweled.'

Abimbola   April 13th, 2010 10:28 am ET

I used Twitter for blackberry Friday through Saturday but felt uncomfortable with it enough for me to reinstall UT alongside it. I like the fliud interface and the mentions... the droop is the twitlonger ... a minus for me. I do hope this is fixed in a next build or something.

Now on the iPhone-vs-BB spats, i dont know why people even bother to compare the two devices. One is so obviously for kids (oops!... entertainment, sorry) and the other is purely business-oriented... the BB's social networking integration, i see as a plus. Can you imagine board execs of a major corporation, say, Shell for example file into a meeting and everyone is plopping an iPhone on the table???... yes, i know what precisely is wrong with that image, the phones should have been Blackberry phones... Go figure!

pepperpk   May 5th, 2010 8:47 am ET

There is nothing like bb and i love its app called berry snooper http://www.pepper.pk/berrysnooper used to save bb from being lost stolen or theft using gps sms or email check this great app

Lakhan   June 28th, 2012 7:27 pm ET

Hey, thanks for the ietsrnet. I'm pretty excited by the idea of rappers using B-Rhymes. I did a little dance when I saw MC Frontalot had tweeted me.The first version of the mobile app is going to rely on this webserver to get data for each and every query, to the dismay of people sans data plans. The problem is, this thing involves a lot of data. Way more data than a normal dictionary. The database backing it is like 160MB, which I don't think is insurmountable, but it'll take some work to get it down to something reasonable. That is more work than a first version.As for Android, I guess I missed it above. It's defintely in the plan.

In home Personal training Long Island   December 5th, 2013 2:42 pm ET

I don't understand blackberry. I don't understand why people use those phones. I myself i'm also not a big Twitter person. So i
really i'm not to excited about this article. However i love commenting on CNN's posts. This is an old post, boy have times changed.

Leave Your Comment