SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 12, 2010

Adobe to unveil updated software line

Posted: 10:22 AM ET

Adobe will unveil a new line of software today aimed at making high-end Web production and photo editing easier for average computer users as well as professionals.

The company's Creative Suite 5 programs include new versions of Photoshop, the photo editing software, and Flash, Adope's animation and video format that is somewhat in jeopardy because Apple products don't support it.

The company will host a live webcast about the new products at 11 a.m. ET. Check this link for the details on that.

A new Photoshop feature will let even casual photo editors add and remove elements from photos.

Say you want to delete a power line from a nature pic, for instance. You'll be able to highlight the power line, delete it, and then Photoshop will automatically fill in the vacant space with a matching background.

Here's a video where you can see it in action.

Check out the webcast and let us know what you think. You'll find more details on all the features at Adobe's Web site. PC World and MacWorld both have preliminary reviews.

Posted by:
Filed under: Internet • photography

Photoshop   April 12th, 2010 10:54 am ET

I hope it works just as well as it is described, although with Adobe they thoroughly test the product and we are rarely left with major problems. Can't wait!

Cody   April 12th, 2010 10:55 am ET

Most Apple products do support Flash, just not the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

PC Wren   April 12th, 2010 11:02 am ET

How much?

Adope?   April 12th, 2010 11:04 am ET

Adope? Seriously?

Minnesotan   April 12th, 2010 11:12 am ET

I love Adobe products, but they truly price gouge every time they upgrade anything.

J Green   April 12th, 2010 11:16 am ET

Apple doesn't support Flash on some of it's mobile products ... ?

Imagine what would happen if Adobe stopped supporting *all* Apple products (No more industry leading applications, no or limited access to a huge collection of web content). Trust that is it Apple who are playing games with their customers and other industry leaders, and the games they play are dangerous ones.

Nick   April 12th, 2010 11:33 am ET

I know it was already posted, but really- do a spell check... "Adope"

dave   April 12th, 2010 11:48 am ET

Gouging...especially for those of us who are CS4 owners. I already checked out the Adobe website to see what it was going to cost to upgrade. Since most people didn't upgrade to CS4 like I did, those folks get a big price break. The upgrade to CS5 from CS3 is about $800. For those of us who forked over about $600 or so for the upgrade from CS3 to CS4, the upgrade to CS5 is a whopping $600...sort of feel like I got screwed by Adobe for being willing to upgrade to CS4.

And, if you upgraded to CS4 in the last 30 days, the CS5 is apparently going to be a free upgrade.

Hey Adobe...great way to treat your loyal customers.

Mauro   April 12th, 2010 11:56 am ET

I just saw the CS5 presentation and apart from a few bells and whistles, I don't see the point. CS3 is serving me well. Guess I'll wait for CS6 and see what happens with Flash and Dreamweaver vs Apple

theandyorr   April 12th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

John Sutter needs to spell check prior to posting, as well as re-edit the article to specify that_some_Apple products don't support flash rather than a general "because Apple products don't support it".

In regards to Adobe releasing the new version, that's superb but I just upgraded to CS4 last year so my licensing budget won't see an upgrade for some time.

theandyorr   April 12th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

@J Green – Adobe would never be able to stop "supporting" Apple products. They would end their own business. Apple not supporting Flash technology is in favor to Apple seeing/believing their chosen path of HTML5 will be the successor. Agree or disagree, it's the way they're conducting business. Adobe needs to stop getting moody about it like an ex girlfriend, and find a new way to stay market relevant in terms of HTML5 v Flash.

Mauro   April 12th, 2010 12:25 pm ET

Flash is quickly becoming useless for development. So many other programs that do it better and cheaper.

Sency   April 12th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

The Adobe Apple feud seems like it is heating up

jimjomac   April 12th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Mauro, I know one feature of CS4 which is not in CS3 – we just got a lecture 2 weeks ago in camera club. Just as CS3+ can do HDR (High Dynamic Range) by letting PS choose the best exposure areas of several pix, you can do the same with focus. Take several pix with different focus settings, then CS4 can create one image with EVERYTHING in focus. Very cool feature, but slow in operation and not perfect results. We still have CS3, so were left drooling. Sure hope I can get an educational discount for CS5. You guys are right, their prices are not for the monetarily-challenged. Adobe (or Adope if you prefer) sure enjoys their market domination!

Chris   April 12th, 2010 1:09 pm ET

Get someone to edit the article, someone who isn't a moron.

That said, I do feel a little screwed by Adobe on the pricing. I have CS4 Design Premium. I want to upgrade to the Master Suite. Great. But why do I have to pay the same as someone who has CS2 Design STANDARD?

John F   April 12th, 2010 1:11 pm ET

It looks like the Apple vesus Adobe slugfest is now fully underway. Apple's change in app development regs (just announced a couple of days ago) forbids the creation of iPhone / iPad applications using such non-standard tools as Flash.

Meanwhile, Adobe in its big online CS5 introduction today tells viewers that they can now create Flash-based apps for the iPhone and the iPad.

While Flash is popular on the web, it is a crashy, resource-hungry method of creating content and it opens the floodgates for apps that completely ignore the standard interface.If Apple were to let developers program in Flash, it would be just like the anything-goes days on the PC in the early 1990's when people would create Windows applications that completely ignored interface guidelines. You never knew what an identical button or menu item would do from one application to another. It was a huge mess and if it were not for Microsoft putting its foot down, using a PC would have been confusing and hair-pulling experience that would have had millions of people searching for a better computing platform.

The level of determination and the massive investments of Apple and Adobe in their conflicting technologies will surely have a big impact. Who knows what that impact will be, but the two companies need to work this out. Can Adobe come up with a tool that translates Flash code into a more standard format? Let's hope so.

barry   April 12th, 2010 1:18 pm ET

Adobe: Killing the graphic design and graphic artist trades by turning simple people into crappy designers. Thanks Adobe! And with a NEW upgrade every six months, no one can really keep up.

Nikkibz   April 12th, 2010 1:48 pm ET

lol@Adope

Lord Manimal   April 12th, 2010 2:00 pm ET

When someone uses language that implies a definite fact without stating it outright, they're using weasel words. If you're writing a news story, and want to insert your own opinion, you simply attribute the opinion to some unnamed person or group. Such as "somewhat":

"somewhat in jeopardy because Apple products don't support it."

I just wanted to comment that I find this type of reporting to be misleading and it smacks of an agenda to me. The job of the media is to report on popular opinion; not create it.

pinder   April 12th, 2010 2:20 pm ET

How do I get a job covering technology for CNN? I know how to spell check and proof read-something John Sutter is seems unable to do. I also know that Apple does support Flash on all their hardware except their mobile devices (iphone, touch, and ipad). It's very disappointing to see such poor quality journalism from CNN.

damian   April 12th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

@Mauro

>>I just saw the CS5 presentation and apart from a few bells and whistles, >>I don't see the point.

I've read that Adope (lol) CS5 will utilize expanded ram better. If it does the speed increases could be quite nice.

Shane   April 12th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

Will Adobe make their new suite AFFORDABLE for their largest client base: starving artists?

allhaileris   April 12th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

Apple's share of the smartphone market in the U.S. stands around 25% while RIM's Blackberry enjoys a 42% share. Apple drops to 14% outside the U.S., while RIM drops to 21%. Nokia enjoys 40% of the world smartphone market.

In the world PC market, Appple sits at less than 10% penetration, and stands in 5'th place. This market is owned by Windows, which enjoys 90% market penetration. Windows 7 alone has better PC market penetration than does all of Apple.

I seriously doubt Jobs' bitterness toward Adobe, and Apple's decision to not support Flash will spell doom for Adobe or Flash. Apple will lose sales to people who aren't lovestruck fanbois. If its users grow tired of holes in pages where Flash should be, Apple may be compelled to deal with it. Apple's market share is just not big enough to dictate terms. Jobs is just too big for his breeches.

me   April 12th, 2010 3:28 pm ET

$699. guess I won't get it

Adel   April 12th, 2010 3:59 pm ET

@ allhaileris
Marketshare from other hansetmakers are bloated. Apple makes ONE phone... 1 phone. Everyone seems to overlook that fact. Others have a gazillion different phones. It's not surprising they have a bigger marketshare. Apple's marketshare is impressive considering they make ONE phone.

Windows will always have a larger marketshare because it is an OS shared by pretty much all PC makers. OS X is a Mac only system. If Apple licensed OS X to everyone, then... they may even surpass Windows marketshare. But then again, we'll never know coz Apple will never license OS X.

heh   April 12th, 2010 3:59 pm ET

This article was probably written by the same guy who "reviewed" the Starcraft 2 Beta and chided it for not being fully completed.

Five   April 12th, 2010 4:03 pm ET

"How do I get a job covering technology for CNN? I know how to spell check and proof read-something John Sutter is seems unable to do."

John Sutter IS SEEMS?

Sorry buddy! I had to point this out when you were so harsh.

a Mac   April 12th, 2010 4:17 pm ET

@ John F: "...if it were not for Microsoft putting its foot down, using a PC would have been confusing and hair-pulling experience that would have had millions of people searching for a better computing platform..."

Wait, are you trying to imply that it *isn't*??? LOL!!!

killermike   April 12th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

Flash? Somewhat in jeopardy? What in the WORLD are you talking about? It's still the most popular multimedia format on the web, whether Apple likes it or not. Stop predicting doom and gloom when there is still no evidence it isn't going to continue making Adobe millions.

Mauro   April 12th, 2010 7:26 pm ET

FLASH will disappear just like it appeared.

Mauro   April 12th, 2010 7:38 pm ET

Isn't it funny, these updates don't seem to be make better designers but rather more designer wannabe's. The graphic design/multimedia community is being littered with a mix of individuals who thinks aesthetics is a disease and or have with zero creative vision all so Adobe can sell bells and whistles. A really good graphic designer can probably accomplish most of what they need with CS2, but hey every one wants a new version of everything. But think about how the whole graphic design/multimedia mindset is being greatly defined by one company and the message its seems to be sending. Buy me and you'd become a graphic designer. I wonder when someone will create such a program for doctors.

Braxton   April 13th, 2010 12:45 am ET

Who or what is "Adope" in the second sentence. Put a space in there and you have your answer!

Marc   April 13th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

Mac does not support Flash for it's iPhones or iPad. THEY DO support HTML5 which will do away with the need for Flash on web sites. This has been publicized A LOT, but not when it comes to articles like this.

Michael   April 13th, 2010 6:10 pm ET

Touch-driven devices (like the iPhone/iPad/iPod), cannot support Flash as there is no cursor. The Flash scripting model assumes a cursor and mouse buttons – think about all rollover actions in Flash apps, and context-sensitive menus.
None of those events are present in real touch devices, so no Flash.

Brian   April 13th, 2010 6:48 pm ET

Before you know it, some idiot out there will find some way to "crack" it, or create a stupid "serial number generator" where people can just steal it, like that–. Maybe Adobe's activator program, will be a little smarter this time, or "phone home", if you will.

Mark A W   April 14th, 2010 10:20 am ET

Living in Brazil I look forward to the fact that CS5 will be able to highlight and remove such things as power lines.
I will soon be able to see my new country without the view being obstructed by powerlines.
Thank you ADOBE.

Justin   April 15th, 2010 3:02 pm ET

I will stick with CS4, it works fine for me, I love it, and I learn more about it each day...I will never fork over THAT MUCH CASH just to make some things that you can ALREADY do on CS4 a little bit easier.

Its things like this that started Pirating and Torrents.

Ted   April 15th, 2010 8:29 pm ET

It's nice to see them put out something. They have waited so long to make Flash available for the new Android OS on mobile phones. Oh....I forgot this new Suite makes them more money! Go figure.

George Dolan   April 18th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

What about something basic like 64 bit technology, they have not developed a good Flash Player...they have not shown support for computers who have this type of tech on their computers...etc...

Rob   April 19th, 2010 11:38 am ET

Apart from Dreamweaver and After Effects, The new CS5 version of Photoshop extended is awesome, especially the Content Awareness tool, the best photoshop version yet !

perry   June 24th, 2010 3:35 pm ET

Finding relevant sites on this topic is sometimes hard to find. You did an excellent job covering the subject and I look forward to more posts from your site. Do you offer RSS Feeds or feedburner to get more content for our blogs?

summery book   October 4th, 2010 8:29 am ET

I really like this blog. great brief nurture up the lofty work. I receive bookmarked your site.

Inwariamire   January 31st, 2011 12:55 pm ET

czemu nie:)

Personal training Long Island   January 11th, 2014 11:16 pm ET

I love adobe's new subscription based services! I'm also a fan of Photoshop! Adobe turned out a great product.

Leave Your Comment