SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 13, 2010

Facebook launches new Safety Center

Posted: 11:29 AM ET

What should you do if your teen is being cyber-bullied on Facebook? How does the site work with law enforcers to investigate criminal activity? And what can you do if someone has posted a photo of you on Facebook that you don’t like?

These questions, among others, are addressed in Facebook’s newly redesigned Safety Center aimed at parents, educators, law enforcement officials and teens.

The Safety Center, which launched Tuesday, was created to make sure the site’s 400 million users are networking safely, according to Facebook’s official press release.

The site is more efficient now, Chief Security Officer Joe Sullivan wrote in a blog post. By including frequently asked questions with detailed answers, information is easier to find, he says.

“Safety is Facebook's top priority,” Sullivan wrote. “We've created cleaner, more navigable interfaces to help you find answers to safety questions fast.”

Privacy settings are also explained in detail on the new page, as well as how to block users, remove unwanted content from a profile page and anonymously report abusive behavior.

The online center is a result of Facebook’s collaboration with its Safety Advisory Board.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Facebook • Internet

Anonymous   April 13th, 2010 12:03 pm ET

You're worried about a damned picture???

Quit your whining – this is a good thing considering the trouble Facebook has had in the past regarding privacy and security.

mcwilliams   April 13th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

Welcome to China! Where censorship of internet content is recognized as good for you. What? You say this is America? My mistake.

goss   April 13th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

If you really want a bad experience head on over to MySpace. That site is a mess with an awful layout.

Facebook is fine.....there are other more important things to worry about.

Nobody   April 13th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

I will never join FACEBOOK since I don't Trust them at all....and it not safety to join social network at all!!!! Never will! Also Tell you that if you need keep in touch with family or friend or everywhere else... common sense use Phone or use email or AIM or else that provide to keep in touch without any trouble....and beside I don't feel comfortable for Goverment nosy people's profile...DUMP FACEBOOK!

ACinCincy   April 13th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

Bingo, Michelle. Bullying in any way, shape or form is wrong. What kids also need to know is that if it is happening on the computer, it will be a LOT easier to prove (not just the "he said, she said" that we all grew up with...). There will be a written record of it. The problem is that bullies are also highly abusive and threatening with their comments. Many times kids say nothing because they fear retaliation from the bully or the bully's friends if they find out who snitched.

As for Facebook privacy issues, there is a simple fix for that. Change all of your settings to "Only Friends", and check it regularly (sometimes they change the choices with no warning).

Not only that, but you can now restrict who among your friends sees certains status updates. So if you don't want your mom or boss knowing about that great new tattoo, you can customize it so they don't see the update.

I've been on FB for over 2 years, and I must say I like many of the changes they've rolled out recently. It can only get better, in my opinion.

Rick   April 13th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

you can actually delete your facebook, but they dont make it easy..

If you are not sure that you will never use that account again then go ahead and permanently delete your account. Once you delete it, you’ll not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or or information you have added.

1> Go to http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account ,

2> Click on SUBMIT only if you are sure you want to delete the account.

fjpoblam   April 13th, 2010 2:39 pm ET

@ACinCincy – better yet, as EFF recommended, change the vast majority, at first, to "only me", then go back and change a select few to "Only Friends" and from time to time make danged sure that they have remained set that way.

Get on to another computer (logged on to an alien FB userid, or not) and view your profile to ensure it is displayed in the manner you intend.)

And become a fan of "Facebook Site Governance" to be notified of all proposed changes to TOS.

Jake   April 13th, 2010 2:46 pm ET

For all who complain about Facebook, Myspace, etc for various reasons there is simple solution:
DON'T USE IT.
If you have kids and don't want them going to these websites then be a parent and exercise your responsibility as a parent and ban them from using it. If they don't listen then be a parent and handle it accordingly.

Sad stuff   April 13th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Pretty sad situation showing that people are spending so much time online on a completely useless website. Not only does it damage your eyes but makes you lazy and lethargic.

Eric   April 13th, 2010 3:14 pm ET

Jake, you beat me to the punch on that one. That was exactly what I was going to say.

Josh   April 13th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

@ Sad stuff

obviously never used the site, and if you have, then you obviously had no friends.

Chris   April 13th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

Facebook sucks and is already on it's way out. Take control of your life again and quit using it.

Jon   April 13th, 2010 3:32 pm ET

Man, you think Facebook is bad and unsafe?

How about CNN.com? They don't give me any way to monitor what articles my kids see, or how long they are on the website.

Unless I watch my computer 24/7, my kids might get on this CNN website and use it. And if they go to the library, I just can't monitor them at all.

Man doesn't that mean CNN just sucks... oh and facebook does too I guess....

CWJ   April 13th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

Start charging for Facebook. That will cut down on the number of users in the first place, and the potential for abuse as well.

Sweetbunny   April 13th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

There is nothing wrong with Facebook. I am in my 50's and love to catch up with not only my children who are all on FB. But coworkers both past and present Friends I lost contact with years ago. I have even been in contact with one of my mothers friends dare I say she is in her 70's and on FB. You go girl!

I get to see whats going on in their lives without a constant "whats new" "whats going on"

We have enven used FB for a kind of reunion. I will never give up my FB and you can't make me!!!

RHoltslander   April 13th, 2010 5:18 pm ET

The graphic on the header of the article has nothing to do with the new Safety Center which is a bunch of articles about how to be safe while using Facebook.

James Bates   April 13th, 2010 7:09 pm ET

Here's an idea. Why doesn't Facebook make it easier to contact them, so that when problems arise, users can actually communicate with someone, at least via email, with ease? I haven't had this much trouble to trying to communicate since it took me four months to stop AOL from billing me for a service I was no longer using.

LWard   April 13th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

Erin has hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

CF   April 13th, 2010 8:43 pm ET

This Facebook group is an example have kids can create a group to bully another kid. This has been active for WEEKS and reported over and over by parents when made aware of it in anti-bully groups.

It is still active.. FB is unreal with their BS spin

Funbags3   April 13th, 2010 8:45 pm ET

What to do if your child is being cyber bullied on Facebook?? MAKE THEM CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT AND STAY OFF THAT SITE AND OTHERS LIKE IT duh!!!

Ginger   April 13th, 2010 9:09 pm ET

Why do people let their children on a computer anyway?........they shouldn't let them on it. Computers are for adults only and should remain that way, there is too much out there that you cannot police.

hillbilleter   April 13th, 2010 10:03 pm ET

I was also on probation on Facebook last year - for typing too fast in an instant message conversation! They said typing too fast is an indication of obnoxious behavior. In my office life, it was an indication of hard work and expertise.

Now, I keep getting these messages and posts on my profile page that want me to go look at suggestive Youtube videos that are supposed to be of me. I'm a dumpy, 53-year-old, housebound, disabled lady who uses Facebook to visit with my friends and family. No one has ever taken a video of me, nor would they ever think to take any sort of suggestive type video of me. It's becoming less funny and more irritating. I don't know how to make it stop as there is no way I can find to report to a support group.

Myspace is inhabited by much younger, brasher and mostly foul-mouthed type of people than Facebook. I have an account there, but don't use it to socialize, just to play one of the games with my sister.

Shanna   April 13th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

My friend suddenly lost her 19 year old son over a year ago and she has tried to get his facebook page deleated but facebook won't do it! She did not know his password and they do not care about how she feels wanting control of his page and/or deleating it! They need to look at this problem before worrying about a darn picture.

flatulatingbuddha   April 13th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

.....really? cyber bully?....it's called an 'ignore' button...b@#ches need to learn how to use it.

Myspace is better   April 14th, 2010 12:19 am ET

"ryan Kesser says:
Facebook is a boring version of Myspace with no colors, boring games, and generally obnoxious people"

agreed 100%

at least with myspace I can add individuality to my profile rather than conforming to the same look as everyone else.

Twitter Apps = Facebook

Kristineee   April 14th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Played Facebook for 1.5 years, bored now. Login maybe once in a month. Rather watch YouTube videos or read stuff online.

Mohammed Alrajih   April 17th, 2010 11:41 pm ET

I think this is a good move on facebook.I appreciate it for their concern about privacy.We really need privacy at some point.

Leave Your Comment