SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 13, 2010

Facebook launches new Safety Center

Posted: 11:29 AM ET

What should you do if your teen is being cyber-bullied on Facebook? How does the site work with law enforcers to investigate criminal activity? And what can you do if someone has posted a photo of you on Facebook that you don’t like?

These questions, among others, are addressed in Facebook’s newly redesigned Safety Center aimed at parents, educators, law enforcement officials and teens.

The Safety Center, which launched Tuesday, was created to make sure the site’s 400 million users are networking safely, according to Facebook’s official press release.

The site is more efficient now, Chief Security Officer Joe Sullivan wrote in a blog post. By including frequently asked questions with detailed answers, information is easier to find, he says.

“Safety is Facebook's top priority,” Sullivan wrote. “We've created cleaner, more navigable interfaces to help you find answers to safety questions fast.”

Privacy settings are also explained in detail on the new page, as well as how to block users, remove unwanted content from a profile page and anonymously report abusive behavior.

The online center is a result of Facebook’s collaboration with its Safety Advisory Board.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Facebook • Internet

Walt   April 13th, 2010 11:56 am ET

The image in your article does not match the actual pull-down menu functionality on the site. Makes no sense.

Matt   April 13th, 2010 11:58 am ET

Facebook's help center is a joke. They just redirect you to message board threads where people have a similar question as you. And those people are just as clueless as you are on how to fix the problem. There is literally no way to contact facebook themselves anymore. Notice how even in this column it doesnt say that Facebook is allowing you to contact them either by email or phone, just giving you more "detailed instructions and FAQs". Which is what they already have.

Chris   April 13th, 2010 12:00 pm ET

This is a PR move only. Safety is not their top concern, making $ is. How many people will be needed to police Facebook? More than Facebook would be willing to pay!

Anonymous   April 13th, 2010 12:03 pm ET

You're worried about a damned picture???

Quit your whining – this is a good thing considering the trouble Facebook has had in the past regarding privacy and security.

ryan Kesser   April 13th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

mcwilliams   April 13th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

Welcome to China! Where censorship of internet content is recognized as good for you. What? You say this is America? My mistake.

Kris   April 13th, 2010 12:10 pm ET

You all have fresh mouths

goss   April 13th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

If you really want a bad experience head on over to MySpace. That site is a mess with an awful layout.

Facebook is fine.....there are other more important things to worry about.

Nobody   April 13th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

I will never join FACEBOOK since I don't Trust them at all....and it not safety to join social network at all!!!! Never will! Also Tell you that if you need keep in touch with family or friend or everywhere else... common sense use Phone or use email or AIM or else that provide to keep in touch without any trouble....and beside I don't feel comfortable for Goverment nosy people's profile...DUMP FACEBOOK!

Andy   April 13th, 2010 12:36 pm ET

I am on both MySpace and Facebook. Had MySpace first, but now I rarely use it. It is intrusive, their controls do not work. Even with broadband speeds, it can take a long time for their pages to load because they allow their users to put up so much stuff, some of which you can't block (like some music players).

As far as being dangerous, none of them are if you don't leave your profile open to everyone. Block all but those on your friends list, and don't friend everyone who requests it.

Two things about social networking. If someone comes to you with something that seems too good to be true, most likely it's not. Second, if something is out of the ordinary, even from someone you know well, check it out first before doing something you may regret later.

The picture used above is probably from the CNN archives rather than being a current pic.

Cal   April 13th, 2010 12:38 pm ET

It's great that facebook has recognized the need for safety on the site and is now reaching out to their users and providng resources for them to seek help. Although these features are new, I look forward to seeing them become more developed and comprehensive in the future.

Erin   April 13th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

If you even have to think to yourself, "Do I want so-and-so to see this?," don't put it on your profile or make it private. You're ultimately responsible for whatever damage you do to your image through your profile, because you put the information out there.

Besides, facebook is a huge waste of time and self-indulgent. You start out checking your messages, and before you know it, four hours later, you're checking out profiles of friends of friends of friends that you've never met and will never meet. No one cares, if you're a fan of rainbows or that you just joined a group about flipping your pillow to the cold side at night. It's annoying to tag your friends in pictures of inanimate objects. What's with the song lyrics and conspiracy theories in your status updates? I can't believe that anyone genuinely wants to advertise that they just ended their relationship across their entire social network. Just clear out your friends list, get out of all of your networks, and deactivate it. Save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

queenbead   April 13th, 2010 12:51 pm ET

After being kicked off FB last year for 17 days last August, b/c I allegedly violated their Terms of Service by commenting too much or too fast, I have lost all respect for FB. I use it only a few hours now. They have ZERO customer service. You can't call, write or email. When someone finally did contact me to reactivate my account, they stated that I had exceeded "their commenting limits", but they couldn't tell me what the limits were.

Their help section is a joke. If it weren't for the old friends with whom I am back in touch, and the games in which I've reached high levels, I'd dump it. FB continually suspends the accounts of good people who haven't done anything wrong, esp. people whose accounts have been hacked. Instead of tracking down the hackers, they punish the person whose profile was hacked. Maybe they should concentrate on customer service and not constantly tweeking their format.

megan   April 13th, 2010 12:57 pm ET

First of all if you are worried about a picture being put up there you probably shouldn't have been in the picture to begin with. Second of all if you don't want the whole word knowing your business and everything about you and your family that makes it "unsafe" to be on facebook dont put it on there. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Diane   April 13th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

Facebook has many safety problems, especially concerning children and teenagers. It is too easy for teens to post inappropiate things without the parents knowing until it is too late unless you are on facebook 24/7. You can monitor at home how much time they are on it but what can you do when they have internet access somewhere else for instance the library, relatives' home, or a friends' home?
Not only has Internet bullying become a problem among teens but Adult cyber harassment is a concern. Adults are using it to bullying their kids' friends or classmates. In our community we recently had an incident where a mother sent 6 inappropiate text messages to a 12 year old who was a friend of their child. This child retaliated on face book forming a group. The mother of the child found out and made the child get off the group. The child was the only adminstrator and now the page remains and there is no way to delete the comments. No way to contact facebook directly. You can report it a 100 times and still nothing happens. 2 members will not leave the group because they want it to stay up for the attention. If all the members leave, according to facebook they will delete the page automatically. This page needs to come down but no way to get it off so it will remain until facebook redoes their program or is no longer.
I agree with many above that this is only a PR thing. If facebook doesn't make some major changes, I can see the government having to step in soon to get it under control. Many of its members need to be educated before they start getting on it but that is impossible. I am not a facebook fan due to the safety concerns and endless possibilities of dangers it poses to our society.

Nightman   April 13th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Ummm... All you have to do is block a username and password. I'm sure there are ways to hack through that, but for the most part, it's pretty tough to find someone through the searches if you block them. The only thing you have to watch out for, is if you friend someone, who is a friend of someone, who is a friend of someone who is your enemy. Even though that enemy can't really see what you wrote, I'll bet you your so-called friends will forward your message to them. How do you secure that?

Jim   April 13th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

I'd say FB should have thought of safety etc prior to launching their product. Perhaps they should be held liable for that now. FB is a good example of a great idea that was just poorly executed.

paul   April 13th, 2010 1:11 pm ET

ever noticed that you can not delete your account. You can go in hide

but no delete.......not good.

Isabel Eustaquio   April 13th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

I love using facebook but if you need any support from them FORGET IT! They have zilch interest in providing support.

Michelle   April 13th, 2010 1:20 pm ET

I'm surprised no one is stating the obvious here...... Why not teach your kids that bullying (in ANY form) is wrong, and to respect other people? Sure, you can't moniter your kids' internet usage all the time (as someone pointed out, there are too many public computers out there!), but you can teach them about right and wrong. Facebook is doing what they can to stop harassing behavior – but most of the responsibility needs to be with the parents and the kids themselves.

ACinCincy   April 13th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

Bingo, Michelle. Bullying in any way, shape or form is wrong. What kids also need to know is that if it is happening on the computer, it will be a LOT easier to prove (not just the "he said, she said" that we all grew up with...). There will be a written record of it. The problem is that bullies are also highly abusive and threatening with their comments. Many times kids say nothing because they fear retaliation from the bully or the bully's friends if they find out who snitched.

Not only that, but you can now restrict who among your friends sees certains status updates. So if you don't want your mom or boss knowing about that great new tattoo, you can customize it so they don't see the update.

I've been on FB for over 2 years, and I must say I like many of the changes they've rolled out recently. It can only get better, in my opinion.

Ernie Oporto   April 13th, 2010 1:52 pm ET

It's the same safety site they had before!! Didn't help at all when some whack adult was mackin on my underage daughter weeks ago. Imagine any other service policing themselves this poorly. Fail.

mama mia   April 13th, 2010 1:54 pm ET

No matter what type of safety procedures that they put in place, people are still at risk. I had a page with pictures of my beautiful children. When I realize that a hacker was in my account I suddenly panicked because this person knew my name, the town that I lived in and what my children look like. I am sorry, but this is unacceptable. I immediately shut down my page. How does facebook protect against that?

mama mia   April 13th, 2010 1:59 pm ET

ACinCincy,

"As for Facebook privacy issues, there is a simple fix for that. Change all of your settings to "Only Friends", and check it regularly (sometimes they change the choices with no warning)."

And when a hacker gets your information.............

Annoyed   April 13th, 2010 2:00 pm ET

Maybe people should stop making excuses for weak people that take the easy way out because people were mean to them. Society today is always looking for someone else to blame for problems. Take responsibility for your own actions.

Cyber-bullying is a joke. People have been picked on for centuries, it's not some new idea. Weak people make weak decisions, and we should let them. Cleanse the gene pool.

Rick   April 13th, 2010 2:08 pm ET

you can actually delete your facebook, but they dont make it easy..

If you are not sure that you will never use that account again then go ahead and permanently delete your account. Once you delete it, you’ll not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or or information you have added.

1> Go to http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account ,

2> Click on SUBMIT only if you are sure you want to delete the account.

God's Son   April 13th, 2010 2:20 pm ET

Parents do not leave the safety of you kids in the hnads of facebook network/security admins.. They already have wnough on their plate dealing with hackers.. Take parenting into your own hands.. Don't be lazy..

dee   April 13th, 2010 2:26 pm ET

Annoyed: That is a ridiculous comment, and horribly insensitive. Guess women and children who are abused should be left to fend for themselves since they're "weak" and need to be weeded out, right? Verbal abuse should NOT be tolerated, especially against children who are likely too afraid to stand up for themselves. It's not blaming someone else for the problem when that someone else is CAUSING the problem. It's disgusting how nasty and cruel some people become when hiding behind a computer screen, and I'd say that THOSE people are the weak ones... what cowards.

me   April 13th, 2010 2:36 pm ET

SHUT DOWN THE HOSNESTY BOX WITH ITS ANONYMOUS COMMENTS!!!!!

fjpoblam   April 13th, 2010 2:39 pm ET

@ACinCincy – better yet, as EFF recommended, change the vast majority, at first, to "only me", then go back and change a select few to "Only Friends" and from time to time make danged sure that they have remained set that way.

Get on to another computer (logged on to an alien FB userid, or not) and view your profile to ensure it is displayed in the manner you intend.)

And become a fan of "Facebook Site Governance" to be notified of all proposed changes to TOS.

David   April 13th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

Why would any of you expect support from Facebook? This is a free service for which you do not need to pay. Since you pay nothing, you can expect nothing in return, especially with regard to service. It is sad that most people expect the moon, but want to pay nothing for it!

Chrisite   April 13th, 2010 2:43 pm ET

Thought you'd find this interesting.

Liz   April 13th, 2010 2:45 pm ET

Facebook is great for stalking! I really do believe it's not even a way to "keep in touch" anymore... More of the people I know I have had problems with Facebook and had to email their customer service back and forth several times.

I once had a profile made of me, but not by me. I contact them, and yet nothing has been done. Customer service doesn't mean anything to them.

Jake   April 13th, 2010 2:46 pm ET

For all who complain about Facebook, Myspace, etc for various reasons there is simple solution:
DON'T USE IT.
If you have kids and don't want them going to these websites then be a parent and exercise your responsibility as a parent and ban them from using it. If they don't listen then be a parent and handle it accordingly.

Sad stuff   April 13th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Pretty sad situation showing that people are spending so much time online on a completely useless website. Not only does it damage your eyes but makes you lazy and lethargic.

Eric   April 13th, 2010 3:14 pm ET

Jake, you beat me to the punch on that one. That was exactly what I was going to say.

Josh   April 13th, 2010 3:18 pm ET

@ Sad stuff

obviously never used the site, and if you have, then you obviously had no friends.

Chris   April 13th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

Facebook sucks and is already on it's way out. Take control of your life again and quit using it.

Tami   April 13th, 2010 3:28 pm ET

Nobody has forced anyone to join any of these social networking sites. If you are worried about privacy, being stalked, bullied, etc etc., the fix is simple: DON'T JOIN THE SITE. Doesn't take a masters degree to figure that one out folks.......................................................

Jon   April 13th, 2010 3:32 pm ET

Man, you think Facebook is bad and unsafe?

How about CNN.com? They don't give me any way to monitor what articles my kids see, or how long they are on the website.

Unless I watch my computer 24/7, my kids might get on this CNN website and use it. And if they go to the library, I just can't monitor them at all.

Man doesn't that mean CNN just sucks... oh and facebook does too I guess....

Hypocrite Much?   April 13th, 2010 3:35 pm ET

I love how people are bashing folks for "wasting time" on social networking, while wasting time on a message board. Nucking Freetards.

Wasif   April 13th, 2010 3:41 pm ET

Facebook is full of lies. What safety program? I had been using facebook for past 6 years and yet they banned me all of sudden last week without even giving me a proper warning or even explaination.
I would like CNN to investigate Facebook's racial policy. Why does facebook has private messeges section even they are even not going to allow user's to write messeges at their own will? Why does facebook has block option? What if somebody sends you a messege? Are not suppose to replyback? oh wait and since when has sending friend's request has become an violating facebook's policy?

Frog Prince   April 13th, 2010 3:52 pm ET

"Safety is Facebook's top priority"

BS: "MONEY is Facebook's top priority"

Diane   April 13th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

The main point of this article is that facebook is suppose to be improving their safety program. It will never be safe. It is your choice whether you want to be on it or not. It is freedom of speech. Teens, children, and some adults have no business being on it until they are better educated on what it is and how to use it safely. There is no way right now to keep minors off of it. So it is unsafe. There is no way to prevent people from making a page about you and slandering you all over facebook. No way to prevent hackers. So it is unsafe.

Iktune Ny   April 13th, 2010 3:54 pm ET

This is a right move in a right direction

Iktune Ny   April 13th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

This is a right move in a right direction.It is a wonderful idea.

b. carr   April 13th, 2010 4:07 pm ET

Too many people give out too much personal information and too many people post awful, hurtful things about other people. Family matters should be kept private, not for all your "friends" to know.

DWinslow   April 13th, 2010 4:08 pm ET

You should try ReputationDefender.com

Only way to protect yourself.

CWJ   April 13th, 2010 4:49 pm ET

Start charging for Facebook. That will cut down on the number of users in the first place, and the potential for abuse as well.

Sweetbunny   April 13th, 2010 4:54 pm ET

There is nothing wrong with Facebook. I am in my 50's and love to catch up with not only my children who are all on FB. But coworkers both past and present Friends I lost contact with years ago. I have even been in contact with one of my mothers friends dare I say she is in her 70's and on FB. You go girl!

I get to see whats going on in their lives without a constant "whats new" "whats going on"

We have enven used FB for a kind of reunion. I will never give up my FB and you can't make me!!!

marcy wilson   April 13th, 2010 5:00 pm ET

safety is farthest from their mind. FB has been hacked numerous times so they are also unconcerned with security issues. they changed newsfeed layout today an over 5,000 members in 8 hrs are ready for a walkout starting april 14th. FB does NOT care what members want..all they care about is the $ they receive from advertisers. FB is a social network an has gained population due to the games an yet they messed up the game feeds so players cant keep up an it now a chore an not fun to stay on facebook. this social network is failing right before everyone's eyes

Kelly   April 13th, 2010 5:16 pm ET

Sadly, Facebook has said in the recent past that if they had it to do over again, there would be no privacy settings and all information would be public. They have taken AWAY privacy and safety features - such as the simple ability to hide your friends list from others. This is but another attempt to give lip service to something that users want, but that Facebook itself does not support.

The comments about how their help center merely redirects you to other users with the same question and no way to get real answers are right on the mark.

RHoltslander   April 13th, 2010 5:18 pm ET

The graphic on the header of the article has nothing to do with the new Safety Center which is a bunch of articles about how to be safe while using Facebook.

rahul   April 13th, 2010 5:48 pm ET

i like facebook

Nathan   April 13th, 2010 6:32 pm ET

This sounds useful.

The Daily Roundup « Hawk Post   April 13th, 2010 6:45 pm ET

[...] launched a new safety center designed to combat [...]

1chiguy   April 13th, 2010 6:58 pm ET

Yeah, this is a joke! I was harassed on facebook by someone with serious mental problems. I reported it to facebook and they did nothing. Losers!

James Bates   April 13th, 2010 7:09 pm ET

Here's an idea. Why doesn't Facebook make it easier to contact them, so that when problems arise, users can actually communicate with someone, at least via email, with ease? I haven't had this much trouble to trying to communicate since it took me four months to stop AOL from billing me for a service I was no longer using.

Ms. Va.   April 13th, 2010 7:12 pm ET

I like Facebook, however some people do very strange things ie:someone accepted me as a FB friend, we communicated briefly thru msg, then the nut sent me a msg stating Now that I realize who your are YOUR DELETED. She is still holding a grudge from 1990! I wasnt even involved in the crap that has her STILL angry. She is in her 40's and still acting like a child. If you want to delete someone all you have to do is DELETE THEM, not send a stupid hateful childish msg!!!!!

LWard   April 13th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

Erin has hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

Nathan   April 13th, 2010 7:38 pm ET

@ Michelle: I agree in principle, but I've seen many moral, involved and kind parents who could not, for the life of them, figure out how to get their kids to behave kindly. Right and wrong are the most important lessons one can be taught, but safeguards against the inevitable are perhaps the most important realistic actions we can take.

GJ   April 13th, 2010 7:38 pm ET

Safety on the Internet is paramount. Facebook is making the right and necessary steps to ensure users are safe and they should be applauded for that. The same can't be said for some other sites that allow personal information to be shared to easily. In the end, users themselves need to be more responsible and only post what they would not mind the entire world to see/know.

CF   April 13th, 2010 8:43 pm ET

This Facebook group is an example have kids can create a group to bully another kid. This has been active for WEEKS and reported over and over by parents when made aware of it in anti-bully groups.

It is still active.. FB is unreal with their BS spin

Funbags3   April 13th, 2010 8:45 pm ET

What to do if your child is being cyber bullied on Facebook?? MAKE THEM CLOSE THEIR ACCOUNT AND STAY OFF THAT SITE AND OTHERS LIKE IT duh!!!

@Funbags   April 13th, 2010 8:58 pm ET

to one up[ you, how about If your child is being cyber-bullied maybe you shoul dturn off their computer and be angry with yourself for allowing the Internet to babysit your kids, instead of doing it yourself.

FB as well as MySpace are garbage folks. WOuld you post all of your information on a billboard off a busy highway? Would you hand out your information and pictures to anyone coming up on the street an dasking for them? Then why are all of the stupid people doing it on FB and MySpace? Web 2.0 is a joke. The web was never meant to be a virtual singles bar, but services like AOL and NetComm turned it into just that, a single's bar.. That was the death of the real internet and the birth of idiot net.

Ginger   April 13th, 2010 9:02 pm ET

Actually you cannot delete your account at the moment.......once you hit submit to delete then it is still accessible for 30 days, anytime you sign back in it removes the delete. In other words you can delete it but it takes 30 days for it to go into effect............lol

Ginger   April 13th, 2010 9:09 pm ET

Why do people let their children on a computer anyway?........they shouldn't let them on it. Computers are for adults only and should remain that way, there is too much out there that you cannot police.

hillbilleter   April 13th, 2010 10:03 pm ET

I was also on probation on Facebook last year - for typing too fast in an instant message conversation! They said typing too fast is an indication of obnoxious behavior. In my office life, it was an indication of hard work and expertise.

Now, I keep getting these messages and posts on my profile page that want me to go look at suggestive Youtube videos that are supposed to be of me. I'm a dumpy, 53-year-old, housebound, disabled lady who uses Facebook to visit with my friends and family. No one has ever taken a video of me, nor would they ever think to take any sort of suggestive type video of me. It's becoming less funny and more irritating. I don't know how to make it stop as there is no way I can find to report to a support group.

Myspace is inhabited by much younger, brasher and mostly foul-mouthed type of people than Facebook. I have an account there, but don't use it to socialize, just to play one of the games with my sister.

Shanna   April 13th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

My friend suddenly lost her 19 year old son over a year ago and she has tried to get his facebook page deleated but facebook won't do it! She did not know his password and they do not care about how she feels wanting control of his page and/or deleating it! They need to look at this problem before worrying about a darn picture.

flatulatingbuddha   April 13th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

.....really? cyber bully?....it's called an 'ignore' button...b@#ches need to learn how to use it.

Barry Njinjoh   April 13th, 2010 11:59 pm ET

Wrong Picture displayed. WoW...whose putting these blogs together CNN...get on point.

Myspace is better   April 14th, 2010 12:19 am ET

"ryan Kesser says:
Facebook is a boring version of Myspace with no colors, boring games, and generally obnoxious people"

agreed 100%

at least with myspace I can add individuality to my profile rather than conforming to the same look as everyone else.

Twitter Apps = Facebook

Jess   April 14th, 2010 1:40 am ET

I had a poor experience with Facebook's Report feature. Not to mention their help and contact pages were a joke too. I was reuniting with a friend and his exgirlfriend thought I was talking him or being intrusive. When we explained that I'm just a friend and that I considered him family she took it the wrong way. She found ways of wording her harassment to not make it look like harassment but I knew it was. They will not remove the person off the site unless they threaten your life. So all they ask is that you block the person and not make contact (common sense). I thought the harassment was semi-threatening. I lost friends including the one whom I reunited with. It's great to reconnect with old friends but best you do it in person first so you know that you're not taken the wrong way.

The Help Page just took me in circles. Before you had drop down boxes but with very little details on what you should/shouldn't do. I then had to contact them for a profile suggestion (For the In a Relationship section. They only have single, widowed, in a relationship, in a open relationship, its complicated and divorced but not single not looking.) and that was well over a year ago. I wanted that change because people get confused with those who are single and those who are single not looking. Took me forever to find the email addresss to contact facebook Doubt they even looked into the matter.

And FYI everyone: I've been through cyber bullying, harassment and stalking before on other websites (not facebook or myspace) but law enforcement wont get involved (especially if it's outside of local/state.) unless your life is threatened. Best advice ever for a kid/teen don't go on these networking sites/msg board communities unless you really can handle the preasures of the possibility of having a cyber attack happen to you.

Jason   April 14th, 2010 9:18 am ET

What to do if your getting bullied online via facebook or myspace? Maybe stop logging into facebook and myspace.

Conrad Nestebush   April 14th, 2010 3:55 pm ET

Forget Facebook – so 2009 – you should move your profile to Friendster. It's huge in the fastest growing market Singapore!

Kristineee   April 14th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Played Facebook for 1.5 years, bored now. Login maybe once in a month. Rather watch YouTube videos or read stuff online.

Mohammed Alrajih   April 17th, 2010 11:41 pm ET

I think this is a good move on facebook.I appreciate it for their concern about privacy.We really need privacy at some point.

Leave Your Comment