SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 13, 2010

Opera browser approved for iPhone

Posted: 12:47 PM ET
Lost's Jorge Garcia
Lost's Jorge Garcia

Surprise, surprise - an app from Web browser company Opera that promises faster surfing in the iPhone and iPod Touch was approved for the Apple store Tuesday, the Norwegian company said.

The free app, which Opera says will cruise the Web up to six times faster than Apple's Safari browser, is expected to be available later today or Wednesday.

The announcement comes after speculation over whether Apple would sign off on the app. The company has taken a hard line on denying outside applications that compete with Apple-created software already on the iPhone.

Opera, which had challenged Apple by launching a months-long publicity blitz before even submitting the app, maintains its browser has strengths different enough from Safari to justify its addition to the Apple Store.

"We are delighted to offer iPhone and iPod Touch users a great browsing experience with the Opera Mini app," said Lars Boilesen, CEO of Opera Software. “This app is another step toward Opera's goal of bringing the Web to more people in more places."

Opera says its browser moves faster by compressing roughly 90 percent of data on a Web page before rendering it. While that doesn't work well for complicated online functions, it makes simply reading Web pages quicker, Opera says.

In the smartphone market, Opera was already available on BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Palm and Android platforms.

Opera Mini also runs on the Symbian platform and is huge on mobile devices, which accounts for many of its more than 50 million monthly users worldwide, according to the company.

Posted by:
Filed under: iPhone • mobile phones • Web browsers

Franko   April 13th, 2010 1:03 pm ET

A flash-less Opera,
with lots of Opera embedded applications portable anywhere ?

Sicko   April 13th, 2010 1:40 pm ET

Why is it that everything that Apple does has to be broadcast all over the news? If any other company came out with a new browser or any improvements we wouldn't hear about it.

SIRIUSXM   April 13th, 2010 1:45 pm ET

If you still can't do Flash, then this is NOT news.

Jakub Kudlacz   April 13th, 2010 1:48 pm ET

This is awesome, and in case you are wandering why this is BIG NEWS, is because there are 85 MILLION owners of iPhone and iPod Touch out there.

This browser is great, loads pages extremely fast and I can see actually websites instead of mobile versions.

CptStupid   April 13th, 2010 1:55 pm ET

Why Why Why? Why no flash again? Opera you had me for a second. Still waiting for a flash enabled browser.

Bruce   April 13th, 2010 2:00 pm ET

We want FLASH!! I need to be able to play Farmville at work. lmao

treworld.com   April 13th, 2010 2:14 pm ET

CNN.com looks terrible on this new browser versus the built-in Safari browser.

HB   April 13th, 2010 2:24 pm ET

Hon, check out this article about the Opera browser for the iPhone. Pretty cool. BTW, my co-worker let my try out their iPAD. Pretty cool.

-HB

Santa Cruz   April 13th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

LOVE my Droid phone!

Chris   April 13th, 2010 2:29 pm ET

Don't you guys get it, the only way Opera would get approved is if it didn't support Flash. Honestly I am surprised it got approved in the first place.

Dan   April 13th, 2010 2:35 pm ET

MUCH FASTER PAGE LOADS!!! =] Loving Opera on the Iphone! I agree with "Jakub Kudlacz" comment, this app completely changes the mobile viewing experience of the internet. Loving it!

Mike   April 13th, 2010 2:38 pm ET

Another Apple plug from CNN. Give me a break. There are a lot of high tech companies out there and they rarely make the front page. Why is CNN so obsessed with Apple?

Elizabeth   April 13th, 2010 2:40 pm ET

Aw, man, I thought they were saying you could use the iPhone to browse in order to listen to opera. Reminds me of the day they announced there was going to be a tv show called the sopranos and I thought, "At last, a show about OPERA!!!!!!!..."

Diana Castells   April 13th, 2010 2:41 pm ET

I think it's great! Finally some music I can really enjoy!!!

Diana Castells   April 13th, 2010 2:42 pm ET

This art form should be cultivated!

Ralph   April 13th, 2010 2:42 pm ET

LOL flash is dying, HTML5 will takeover.

Jon P.   April 13th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

So the iphone and ipod were slow and sub par for surfing the net before this new app? How could that be?....

Chad   April 13th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Lol at people for whom Flash is important...

Wow, I GOTTA HAVE animated ads!

Psh – Apple is right – Flash is internet bloat.

To the poster above me: I routinely get over 2Mbps on my iPhone (3G, not Wi-Fi!) and the internet is already very fast. Always with the haters...

Mark H   April 13th, 2010 3:08 pm ET

Please note that this application is for the iPhone/iTouch and NOT for the new iPad. Give me an iPad version and I'd be all over it!

Chad   April 13th, 2010 3:09 pm ET

Ok, I just installed it.

IMHO: slower than Safari. This makes the internet on the iPhone much like it is on other smart phones – tenuous and laggy.

Try it, but yeah, Imma stick with Safari...

J Nation   April 13th, 2010 3:22 pm ET

Flash is up to Steve Jobs not Opera or Adobe for that matter.

Chadisanidiot   April 13th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

Umm, Chad. You do realize that this is 2010, right? Not year 2000?

I mean, how popular can Flash be? It's only loaded on 95% of all peoples systems to do nothing but simple advertising.

So instead, I'll be forced to use the Apple's proprietary solution instead. But this decision is not about lining their pockets more, it's by choice, right?

Uh huh

Marco   April 13th, 2010 3:28 pm ET

Opera Mini sucks. I prefer Opera Mobile. Mini is supposed to be for bottom line non-smartphone cellphones. Why is this on the iPhone? It doesn't seem that Apple is really giving that much of a leeway.

Opera Mini for Iphone is Out   April 13th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

[...] Source: CNN.com [...]

Chadisanidiot   April 13th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

BTW, how come my StuPod doesn't watch these great hour long commercials of this product called Lost that I'm watchin on Hulu? How come these news stories on CNN are riddled with advertising for products such as grieving families in West Virginia or that product placement for the First Lady in Haiti? I have to pick me up some of those...

That's like saying that the Internet is really only used for email...

Sean   April 13th, 2010 3:41 pm ET

After I recently reformated I tried seeing how long could go without Flash. 2 mins. 3 of my top 5 fav sites required it, and every company site I went to update a driver required it.

Yea, I'd say its dead also.

Goober   April 13th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

Whoop Dee Frickin' Do.

Opera browser approved for iPhone | Iron Ink Media: Inked Up   April 13th, 2010 4:10 pm ET

[...] this cute. An app from the web browser company Opera was approved by the Apple app store today and should be available for download later today or tomorrow. That's right, a new web [...]

Ratnok   April 13th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Whooopppeeee!!!! The iPhone adds another browser. Meanwhile, Android owners have had the choice of Chrome Lite, Dophin, Steel, OPERA and soon Fennec (Firefox mobile). Nice to see the iPhone coming closer to trying to match Android. It's got a long way to go though.

Sarah   April 13th, 2010 4:24 pm ET

For all the flash haters, please understand that Apple's stance has nothing to do with trying to alienate users. Flash is buggy and is a HUGE memory hog. Apple is protecting users and the stats it spouts. If Flash is allowed on iPhone etc., then your phone will suck battery and your internet experience will be ssslllloooooooooooooooooow. Accept that the programmers and engineers know what they're doing.

On the Opera front, if I had an iPhone, I'd love to try it out, for grins.

Tutes4Dudes   April 13th, 2010 4:29 pm ET

We WANT FLASH!! if it doesnt have FLASH it is nothing!!!
FLASH FLASH FLASH!! NOW NOW NOW!!

toyotabedzrock   April 13th, 2010 4:31 pm ET

Apple will not allow flash in any shape or form on the iphone.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTCS3g-cBY&w=640&h=390]

sickofapplyproprietarycrap   April 13th, 2010 4:33 pm ET

Still no flash. Wake up, crApple. HTML5 is light years away and almost every site I got to NOW uses Adobe Flash. It's THE standard. I laugh my butt off at how Apple got started – by poking at IBM's proprietary, closed architectures. And here they are with their non-support of flash, confusing DRM with the lack of portability between computers and all the other open things that they block. Opera browser is ok for a non-flash browser, but doesn't hold a candle to say, Atomic Browser: can't lock tilt and full screen isn't really full screen now is it? APPLE: listen to your customers: WE WANT FLASH and are sick of not being able to content on many of the sites we visit. Next step for me is jailbreak and then onto an android phone.

M   April 13th, 2010 4:34 pm ET

Again Apple marketing on CNN instead of news.

Dan, Washington, DC   April 13th, 2010 4:39 pm ET

Yay! I was worried had gone off the deep end. For older phones or those of us on EDGE connections when we travel, this is a *huge* help. (Now if Apple would reverse their policy and allow Adobe AIR for porting applications.)

As for Flash, I've always hated it on the PC and actually avoid websites with Flash. How many times do I have to get a Flash script to crash my computer or slow it to a crawl? You want 10+ hrs of bandwidth on an iPad? You aren't going to do it with a program that consumes all the bandwidth.

Apple is being slightly hypocritical though: the big thing on Flash is that it eliminates the all-important App Store. Adobe offered a mechanism to modify Flash so that wouldn't happen. On the business side that would seem reasonable and Apple should go for it. I do concede that on the technical front, mass market consumers *might* be better with a more controlled environment. Gaming consoles like the XBox and Nintendo have proved that consistency and easy of use trump the ability to tweak everything.

Regarding Android vs. iPhone, this might as well be Linux vs. Windows. As a techie I appreciate Android and the flexibility. But Android's security is a joke so content providers want Apple's dumb-but-effective world in iTunes to protect their revenue and, most importantly, Apple has proven with the iPhone that the user experience is paramount and watching a 70 year non-PC user pick up an iPad and start playing with it is one example of why Apple has such a huge advantage. Android is likely to be the phone equivalent of Linux: useful and powerful while Apple is likely to be the modern day Windows: some compromises, but good enough for the masses.

Erdell   April 13th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

It can now be downloaded from the app store.

Jammy Devil   April 13th, 2010 4:44 pm ET

"Again Apple marketing on CNN instead of news."

This is a BLOG! If you want News go to the homepage of CNN you nugget!

JohnnyInSNJ   April 13th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

THERE WILL BE NO FLASH IN ANY FORM on Apple Mobile products. Steve Jobs wants nothing to do with it. It is just not going to happen, and he clearly flaunts it even during the iPad expo.

Tom F   April 13th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

What a waste of time. A browser with out flash is worthless

veggiedude   April 13th, 2010 5:16 pm ET

"Flash is up to Steve Jobs not Opera or Adobe for that matter."

Oh yea? Then how come Flash does not work on Android phones?

Michael   April 13th, 2010 5:16 pm ET

Sicko,

Because Apple is an exciting and innovative company. If you were to explore apple products and services as compared to the rest you'd be impressed.

veggiedude   April 13th, 2010 5:20 pm ET

Why do people complain that Apple gets covered a lot, and yet do not see that their Windows computers and Android phones exist because of Apple? Go complain to those companies for copying Apple designs then, if you don't like Apple so much.

Mike   April 13th, 2010 5:25 pm ET

CNN: Please stop giving free advertisement to Apple and its products, wait... is it free?

Dave   April 13th, 2010 5:29 pm ET

everyone who comments on CNN scitech blogs is apparently an idiot... myself included.

kevyfresh   April 13th, 2010 5:35 pm ET

Don't look at your banking website or anything you want to remain personal. Opera uses a proxy compression scheme to reduce web traffic and all the pages a user browses in Opera Mini are relayed through Opera's servers, then to your iPhone.

uriel_c   April 13th, 2010 5:38 pm ET

Elizabeth: I actually used the Opera browser on the iPhone to find a performance of the opera "The Beetles Smoke Cigar" by the contemporary composer Valdaruuga Simyonowsky. A very quiet opera – one can hardly hear a thing!

Jerry   April 13th, 2010 5:39 pm ET

I downloaded it to my iphone and its not that bad. It loads pages pretty fast and is easy to manuver on. The only issue I found with it is when I went to one of the message boards i normally frequent everything was bunched up to the left side. This made reading any of the posts on the message board extremely difficult to do .

Robert   April 13th, 2010 5:48 pm ET

Lot's of slow thinking people out there. "Why is it that Apple get's all the attention... " "Another article about apple" "if another company would have made a browser, they wouldn't get no attention".

Ummm... HELLO PEOPLE. This is not APPLE. This is OPERA, and the big news is that it's product, WHICH DIRECTLY COMPETES WITH APPLE'S SAFARI, WAS APPROVED ON AN APPSTORE WHICH IS TOTALLY UNDER THE CONTROL OF APPLE ITSELF.

Ryan   April 13th, 2010 6:01 pm ET

Flash? 'The Standard'? I go out of my way to avoid it. It's nothing more than a nuisance.

To anyone wanting to try opera mini, you should know that it's not really a browser in the traditional sense, but rather a proprietary client for a server-side system controlled by Opera. (Yes, I realize that this is what all browser's are, hence the 'proprietary' bit – ie it's a service moreso thana browser.) It's speed and features come at the price that everything you do is routed through Opera's servers.

Opera Mini til iPhone « Paul Chaffey   April 13th, 2010 6:03 pm ET

[...] både for Opera og brukerne av iPhone at det ble slik. Mer om saken kan man lese hos blant annet CNN, New York Times, The Guardian, PC Word, Wired, Gizmondo og The Independent. Som en ser er flere av [...]

R   April 13th, 2010 6:04 pm ET

I like my iphone.

But I will not buy another one unless it supports flash. My only agenda is being able to surf the web as it actually exists today. If Apple won't support that, I'll find another company that will.

Mike   April 13th, 2010 6:07 pm ET

Robert:
Opera was approved by Apple, yes, but it can be removed anytime that Apple wants; there were apps that were removed before. There is a lot of attention to Apple!! Come on! In this case is Apple/Opera. And I have nothing against any of them; I am against the ubiquitous advertisement-news about Apple.

applefanboy   April 13th, 2010 6:24 pm ET

I am probably a fan boy by all standards, but the CNN tech site has gotten very boring over the last few weeks. There is no broad coverage of science and technology. Instead, this is all about iPads and other apples. Come on. What's wrong with you guys? There is more going than apple products! It is ridiculous.

ilikepooping   April 13th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

apple should release aids to the masses behind the cover of these "iProducts"

Tim, Boston, MA   April 13th, 2010 6:31 pm ET

I just tried it and found it to be faster loading, but the graphics were nowhere near as well rendered as Safari when opening the Apple.com main page. I quickly deleted it from my iPhone.

Oscar   April 13th, 2010 6:35 pm ET

You guys only need to go to the Apps Store and downlod under the Utilies category the new browers called "Cloud Browse". This is the only browser that wil allow your phone to run any flash application.. Go try it – you will love it.

jtait   April 13th, 2010 6:37 pm ET

for all of u complaining about cnn siding with apple, u really can't complain, you're contributing to a LIBERAL news group, and apple is definitely grouped with young LIBERALS generally. Stop complaining or go visit fox news

Amgad Gamil   April 13th, 2010 6:38 pm ET

Really wonderful application, could you please make this app to support arabic webs

Opera Mini para iPhone, el primer paso « Uhm?   April 13th, 2010 6:51 pm ET

[...] de evaluar e incluir otras aplicaciones, que mejoren no sólo la velocidad de navegación, sino la experiencia del usuario, en un orden mucho mayor. Más y mejores opciones, lo que todos [...]

Apple Approves Opera Mini For App Store   April 13th, 2010 8:48 pm ET

[...] look for Opera, because Opera Mini is what it's known as on mobile devices such as iPhone.  Source. Image Is With Creative Commons License by Lex Grego On Flickr.com Share and [...]

Michael   April 13th, 2010 9:26 pm ET

People like it? I downloaded it today, and could only stand it for a few minutes.

3rr0rists   April 13th, 2010 9:58 pm ET

nice 1

Nayyar Siddiqui   April 13th, 2010 11:34 pm ET

I downloaded Opera mini browser today. Its working great with my Iphone 3gs. I love it.

Martin   April 14th, 2010 12:51 am ET

You know... CNN might try a little harder to not shamefully plug for Apple every single day. Of course they are being paid by apple... Do you think it's coincidence that every day there is a new main-page article for something apple related. Like another commenter said there are thousands of high tech companies and yet you rarely hear about them... And God forbid if it's Microsoft... you can bet it will be something bad.

Clinton   April 14th, 2010 1:27 am ET

What a waste of time to publish this article. This is not news.
@Jakub Kudlacz..Whoopie..85 Million iphone users...Last year Nokia alone sold 126.9 mobile phones.

Iphones are for people who can't think for themselves. Rather get a phone that allows you to do what you want on it. Symbian and Android phones are miles ahead in functionality.

OGHO   April 14th, 2010 2:05 am ET

What a good development it is cool.

YrrabNYC   April 14th, 2010 3:53 am ET

Well there is no comparison really. In my tests, the speeds were approximately equal when loading pages never visited before. HOWEVER, when using the built in iPod Touch browser, ALL websites visited were automatically redirected to the "m" mobile versions. As for the pages loaded by Opera, they were the FULL versions 99.9% of the time. The pages loaded were NOT the slimmed down "crippled" mobile versions. They were the real pages similar or identical to pages seen on a desktop browser! To load/display in the same amount of time, the REAL webpage, that is TRULY impressive. Thanks Opera!

Schalken   April 14th, 2010 4:26 am ET

Opera's a great browser on the desktop, too.

lIllI   April 14th, 2010 6:30 am ET

toyotabedzrock :
"April 13th, 2010 4:31 pm ET

Apple will not allow flash in any shape or form on the iphone.

If you want to see what is so good about Opera on the iphone check out this youtube vid."

The only problem with your comment toyota is that for all those Apple iDrones out there, how are they going to watch that video without being able to view Flash?

FAIL! HAHAHA

Shady   April 14th, 2010 8:06 am ET

The Opera Browser is also a browser for the Wii and DSi and it is very fast. But it can't display videos on the DSi because of it's lack of RAM. The iPhone may have more RAM and in that case, you will be able to add Flash to it and be able to play videos and other flash.

Fedo   April 14th, 2010 10:27 am ET

I don't care about Opera on Iphone. I have the HTC Touch Pro 2 and Skyfire browser which has flash and is way faster than Opera and Safari thanks.

Parro   April 14th, 2010 10:54 am ET

Wait for the 2nd or 3rd iteration before they hit gold..still lagging a little behind Safari as much as i hoped that would change.

Frank   April 14th, 2010 11:40 am ET

It is free so all of you complainers shut your holes!

Jake   April 14th, 2010 12:33 pm ET

What's the storage capacity of the Droid? Please. Just like people feel it's "cool" to follow Apple, there are those who feel it's "cool" to hate them for no reason.

CraTay   April 14th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

I got it from my phone. It has potential but I am not loving it. Faster...yes. But, it doesn't display my favoriate sites like ESPN very good. Once this is cleaned up it will be fine, until then I'm sticking with Safari.

Dan   April 14th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

Mercury Browser for iphone has already been in the appstore for sometime and its alot better than safari or opera.

GND_DDR   April 14th, 2010 2:44 pm ET

An apple a day:
Please, does the world need news about Apple everyday ? !

Aaron   April 14th, 2010 2:58 pm ET

THIS STORY IS NOT ABOUT APPLE. IT IS A STORY ABOUT OPERA!

Blerim   April 14th, 2010 3:02 pm ET

I was so surprised to see Apple approve this. Who's going to use Safari anymore. Mini Opera is amazingly faster than Safari. (at least using Wi-Fi) :)

darinc38122   April 14th, 2010 5:05 pm ET

Flash?? Flash is a pain. I go out of my way to avoid it. I always skip Flash Intro pages and the only time I see it being used for anything is when my kids want to play web based Flash games. There are a few nicely designed websites that are using Flash, but I don't spend a lot of time on them. I want to get to do what I needed to do and then get off the computer.

PJ   April 14th, 2010 5:37 pm ET

Safari has always sucked. Opera Mini is light years faster and a much better browser for the iPhone. I normally skip Flash pages when I can but there are several websites I frequent that simply won't function on my iPhone without it. If AT&T will ever enable tethering then I'll use my HP Mini to do any serious mobile chores and use my iPhone for the only functions it is actually good at....phone, calendar, texting, games.

When my contract runs out I'm getting a Droid and getting rid of the iPhone. It was a good idea but Apple has severely crippled it with their unreasonable programming and application policies.

Franko   April 14th, 2010 11:34 pm ET

Go Upgrade! - ClickJacking in Flash or
Is Opera teaming up with Apple to kill Adobe Flash ?

melikey   April 15th, 2010 12:49 am ET

Oprah Browser?

vlad Gorshkov   April 15th, 2010 1:09 am ET

Oh hey Apple sold 500,00 iPads in a first week. All without Flash. Hmmm but everyone cared SO much about flash, how come it sells so good?

Christiaan   April 15th, 2010 3:33 am ET

i got this app for my android phone and it works much better than the browser that was provided. It's good that many more people get to enjoy this app.

Opera for iPhone - SatelliteGuys.US   April 15th, 2010 5:22 am ET

[...] Links Opera app is approved. Yes we know, all the other smart phones already have it. Link [...]

Franko   April 15th, 2010 8:46 am ET

Go Upgrade! ("Old flash? Go Upgrade madness" when viewing uTube)
iApple Flash ban has invaded my Opera under Windows !

SoulardGuy   April 15th, 2010 9:38 am ET

I'm very suprised that Apple approved this app since it directly competes with Safari. Maybe Apple is finally understanding that people want to choose for themselves what works best for them. Opera on Blackberry is more compatible then the native Blackberry browser.

Saint awupri   April 15th, 2010 10:01 am ET

I love d new method.kep it on

km   April 15th, 2010 10:26 am ET

What I found was that it didn't recognized mobile versions of sites. I had a site that is recognized as a Flash site when accessed from a Desktop or a mobile site when accessed from iPhone OS Safari. Unfortunately, Opera doesn't load the mobile site, just the non-readable flash site.

Franko   April 15th, 2010 11:20 am ET

Every Genetically Modified iApple will splice into your genes,
and you will become a Food and Drug Administration approved iZombie

djpondo   April 15th, 2010 11:40 am ET

Opera 'greeks' the text iand has a more grainy rendering of other objects n normal view. That's probably why it's a faster load and why there is no incremental zoom. The text does not become readable until the browser zooms in. It's a different browsing experience. Not better – or worse – just different. I'm also using 'PerfectBrowser3' for iPhone. It has it's share of glitches too. But, it feels better to me than Safari or Opera at this writing.

Bob   April 15th, 2010 12:41 pm ET

I downloaded and tried Opera, and wasn't really impressed by it. The zoom function only has two views (up close and far away) – both of which make it difficult to read what you're looking at. Also, it wasn't really faster that Safari – both on 3G and WiFi. Some sites were actually slower that Safari... a lot slower.

Maybe if they update it will be better but, for now, I'll stick with Safari.

And no... I'm not a Mac zealot.

Dan VanTreeck   April 15th, 2010 2:21 pm ET

Downloaded this thing and used for a few hours. Great for reading. Not so great for inter-activity.

Joe Ro   April 15th, 2010 7:58 pm ET

Apple and Adobe are mortal enemies. Good luck getting Steve to agree to any kind of flash embedded app.

Opera’s browser provides shelter from cell data limits | BDwordHut   December 11th, 2010 3:55 am ET

[...] free Opera Mini app for iPhone is the most popular mobile Opera browser in the U.S., von Tetzchner said. On the downside, Opera's engine can make websites look odd, [...]

Leave Your Comment