SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 14, 2010

Apple delays iPad's international release

Posted: 11:01 AM ET

Apple fans in Japan, the United Kingdom and seven other countries will have to wait longer to get their hands on iPads.

Apple is postponing the international release of its new iPad because of stronger-than-expected demand for the device in the United States, the company said Wednesday.

A statement posted on Apple’s Web site said Apple has delivered more than 500,000 iPads since they went on sale in the United States on April 3 and the company expects demand to stay high.

“Faced with this surprisingly strong U.S. demand, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May,” the post said.

The slate computer was originally scheduled to go on sale April 24 in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Apple now will begin taking international pre-orders on May 10.

“We know that many international customers waiting to buy an iPad will be disappointed by this news, but we hope they will be pleased to learn the reason - the iPad is a runaway success in the U.S. thus far,” Apple's post read.

The iPad is a touch-screen, wireless computer that occupies the digital turf somewhere between a laptop and a smartphone. The model available now in the U.S. connects to the Internet over a Wi-Fi connection. Later this month Apple will start selling an iPad version that connects to the Web via 3G wireless service from AT&T.

Posted by:
Filed under: consumer tech • iPad

FR   April 14th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

Apple is the best! They have the best products and the have made an impact around the globe. Go ahead and nitpick their products, service, stores, employees, etc. to pieces. Go ahead find a scab and pick at it. Apple is head and shoulders everyone else. All of you on here that are critical are closet fans and you all know it. Come on out and join the masses. If you were smart you would all buy a few shares of Apple stock.....great company! Eat your hearts out all of you haters!

Chris from Budapest   April 14th, 2010 3:21 pm ET

Classic publicity stunt!!!
This is also the way concert tickets are sold.

Ernesto Bozzletalk   April 14th, 2010 3:22 pm ET

There was a release before applying the pad? uh oh. someone's gonna be wearing a sweat shirt tied around their waste for the rest of the day.

Russell   April 14th, 2010 3:37 pm ET

@ss...what part of I really like my iPad and think it was with it don't you get?

Wes   April 14th, 2010 3:39 pm ET

@ Patrick – I'm sorry, since when do you get to judge how people spend their free money? Yes, Patrick, some people can afford to drop a few grand here and there, and that does not make them spoiled American pigs.

I wonder if I should spend time commenting on some Microsoft news articles, complementing people on their frugality. Nah, there probably aren't any MS articles out there anyway.

Go Apple:)

Dennis Sarr   April 14th, 2010 3:41 pm ET

My wife and I picked up ours the first hour it was available. We just love them. We left for a trip to the east coast the day after. SeaTac wifi is free, no problems, Atlanta charged, Myrtle Beach is free, the Marriott wife was free. The ATT wifi server had problem in SC for a couple of day, but it was not the wireless. Wireless at home with full encryption was faultless. I even downloaded some apps and a book. The TSA at the airports doesn't require taking the iPAD out of the carry on, so another plus. Battery life is great!

David   April 14th, 2010 4:37 pm ET

My iPad has worked perfectly since I got it on April 3rd. No network problems, nothing.

What I choose to spend my money on is no one else's business but my own. I wanted it, I can afford it, I bought it. End of story.

While my job requires a Windows machine (I do IT), I will never have another windows-based machine of any kind in my house for personal use after the Vista fiasco. I have no issues with the PC hardware vendors, I am just sick of Microsoft operating systems.

If that makes me an Apple Fanboi, then I'm more than happy to wear that badge.

PD   April 14th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

I love to read about Apple products and then leave all kinds of negative comments and witty put downs while knowing little or nothing about it, hey look at me, I'm Sarah Palin

LG   April 14th, 2010 4:56 pm ET

Yeah whatever, I just return my IPAD for wifi issues. Apple releases a hands on fix, but how does one reset routers and update firmware at wifi spots. I could not establish a continuous wifi connection at my university. With only a 14 day return policy and the fear it may be a hardware issue, I did not take any chances. Plus I did find it annoying i could not use the on the Ipad. However, once all the bugs are fixed and more apps are released, I will consider getting the device again. The applestore did give me better than expected treatment and did not charge me a return stocking fee.

angie   April 14th, 2010 5:51 pm ET

hey i think that they shouldn't cancel it cuz thats gonne suk and plus im actuallly waiting to get one of those ipads or wat ever so this ganna suck 4 some ppl out there dnt u think ??????

later baby chik is OUT !!! SUKERS

Apple, Inc Statement: iPad™ International Orders Delayed One Month   April 14th, 2010 5:53 pm ET

[...] to CNN: The slate computer was originally scheduled to go on sale April 24 in Australia, Canada, France, [...]

hightimes   April 14th, 2010 5:54 pm ET

Well apple just lost some orders,again...they only care about the US market!!! really disappointing and now they lost a sale from me.

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira   April 14th, 2010 5:55 pm ET

Sad how people wast energy about things they do not like.

At least Apple "fans" as CNN sold it, CNN how low can you get, spend no time listening to fools!

Cesare Lombroso   April 14th, 2010 6:48 pm ET

It must be the problems with the I-Pad everyone is buzzing about. Best to wait to get one of these even though I am 100% Apple.

tusnius » Quieres tu iPad, pues te vas a tener que esperar…   April 14th, 2010 7:10 pm ET

[...] en CNN Fotos Tags relacionados: Apple, iPad, Portable, Tablet, [...]

CaligulaJR   April 14th, 2010 7:39 pm ET

Note, Israel will NOT allow iPads into the country and will charge you, per day, to keep it in a little "prison" until you're ready to leave the country!!!!

CW   April 14th, 2010 7:58 pm ET

Most of these comments look like they were posted by folks that haven't been closer to an iPad than a hundred yards. Mine works flawlessly and any time I take it out in public I spend more time showing it to complete strangers than I do actually using it. BTW not one has ever said "pass" – most just look longingly....... The iPad plus GoGo wi-fi is a killer combo.

Manny   April 14th, 2010 8:17 pm ET

Ill just wait until they have the 3G wireless connection and the camera, dont be stupid and buy the first iPad on the market, because the original apple product is sure to suck.

John C   April 14th, 2010 8:34 pm ET

Why are people here speculating about Apple delaying the global release of iPAD because they have to fix problems? The fact is that I have been trying to get an iPAD at my local Apple store the last couple weeks, and they are always sold out! Anyone else in the US experiencing this same problem, please speak up.

I wonder if Microsoft or Dell (or other big companies) are paying people to come on CNN and write disparaging comments.

alternative   April 14th, 2010 9:05 pm ET

For those who are not into the iPad, you can consider this:

Joe   April 14th, 2010 9:34 pm ET

Ever since the iPad was launched we have had fantastic weather here in KY! Coincidence? I think not! Thank you Mr. Jobs and I believe your next release will also halt global warming while offering the best entertainment experience anyone could possibly ever have.

Eric Nicolas   April 14th, 2010 9:38 pm ET

The religiosity of those who love and those who (for some reason) hate Apple is interesting. Is no one neutral? I use a Windows 7 machine for everyday computing, but I have an iPod and it's a nice device. I might buy an iPad if I think it really adds something to my life. I have a Kindle for reading and don't much care for back-lit screens for that, but I haven't seen an iPad screen so I won't pass judgement. These are just gadgets, not deities to worship. The only valid criticism of Apple I can see is their insistence on closed systems. They claim this is to control quality, but it also makes it easy to maintain high prices. HP has a slate coming out that has many features iPad lacks. If it seems a better choice then it wins. Apple has a headstart on the touch screen technology but that won't last forever. It isn't about who makes it – it's about what works.

Joe   April 14th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

It's not that Windows users hate Apple per se (or at least, I don't) but we do hate the smug air of self-righteousness and assumption that all non-Apple machines are crap that seems to characterize most fanbois.

John Fitzgerald   April 14th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

If AAPL sells 500,000 iPads in first week, please remember, these are admittedly the low end version with only wi-fi access. How many more 3G iPads will be sold? Everyone I know at work is waiting for wireless version. iPhone is still AT&T monopoly. 4G iPhone comes out w/ Verizon next year. Apple is at $350 by end of 2011.

danywin   April 14th, 2010 10:25 pm ET

Planning an import/export business! Start from here with! A fastest growing B2B trade portal, open to FR-E-E registration!

Milezero   April 14th, 2010 10:43 pm ET

I bought an iPad out of curiosity. I am not a big apple fan. I don't think this is something that can really be used for serious purposes. It's a nice viewer but it's really toy. Also, I think people will use it less after having it for awhile because you have to hold it to use it. ( unless you want to spend more money on accessories to make it more like a laptop.

Gus, Brooklyn, NY   April 14th, 2010 11:21 pm ET

I don't know about exact figures, but I can tell you I wanted to buy a $499 iPad yesterday for my brother and I haven't been able to find one in all of Manhattan, so I am thinking the demand story holds water. I don't deny that people are having some wifi problems, the Apple forums clearly show that, but when you sell hundreds of thousands of units, even if 0.5% of people have problems that is still a lot of people.

amused   April 15th, 2010 12:27 am ET

Funny how materialistic you apple fanboys are... "I have an apple product, therefore I am better than you"

Truth is: iPad was designed for fanboys by a brilliant CEO (yes, he's brilliant since he knows how to exploit the weak-minded sheep who eagerly lap up everything he throws at them), but is useless for anyone else. And heads up: its not a NEW INVENTION as some claim, since tablet computers have been around for a while now, with older ones having MORE functionality than the iPad.

Now I shall sit back and laugh as the sheep rage at my post. Or better yet, I'm going to go out (without my face buried in my iPhone or iPad or whatever other iThing you want, since I have a life that isn't linked to apple products.

laysomepipe   April 15th, 2010 12:27 am ET

apple makes me hungry.

Stefano   April 15th, 2010 1:01 am ET

Mmmmm how nice of Apple to take into consideration the US market, and delay the rest.... or is it that they have a problem?!?! With this behavior towards clients, I suppose now I have a reason to cancel my april pre order, and wait at least 6 months to see what problems there are. On the net Ipad has got quite a few problems that are already visible. So Posponing sales to sell more in the US? not quite fair....solve the problems then sell to everyone. Or are they just using the US consumer as Guinea pigs?

David   April 15th, 2010 1:35 am ET

LOL... I love how people are citing the 300,000 sold on day one and the 200,000 sold since then as proof that sales are dwindling for the product. First of all, do any of you pay attention to sales of other anticipated products, or even movie tickets? The people who have been anticipating the product are going to be there opening day, so it's quite natural to have a huge sales push early, with fewer sales afterwords. But the iPad has only been out less than two weeks, and I think 200,000 sales in two weeks is phenomenal for any kind of tech gadget. Can someone tell me of any other computer device that moved those kinds of numbers?

Yes, I own one. Yes, I love it. No, I've had zero problems with it.

Savonarola   April 15th, 2010 2:00 am ET

I love the "sheep" comment coming from people who undoubtedly use the same OS that 90% of the rest of the world uses.

I also love the criticism that the iPad is curtailing freedom because it eschews the proprietary, closed, Flash environment and instead wants developers to use the open HTML 5 standard instead. It's contradictory to decry one vendor (Apple) for being propiertary while lauding another product (Flash) that suffers from the same deficiency.

I also find it weird that people don't want to buy a product that "prevents" them from installing whatever they want. Do you have this freedom with a Kindle? A DVR? A network hub? A car stereo? If you stop thinking of this as a CPU, perhaps it wil stress you out less.

Warren   April 15th, 2010 6:14 am ET

Can you tell me which how many other consumer elctronic product has sold 300,000 units on Day 1 (including pre-orders) and another 200,000 units in the first 10 days after launch? iPod, iPhone & Wii? If that is not a huge success, then what is YOUR definition of success? If Apple sells 10,000 units of iPad per day, that will work out to > 3.6 million units a year. That's HUGE !!!!!

The iPad is sold only in the US and when the iPad goes global to Europe, Asia and Australia, the numbers will be staggering.

The iPad may not be as big as the iPod or iPhone or Mac, that doesn't make it a failure. Many companies have marketed the Tablet and failed, so let's see if Apple could make a difference. Likewise, MP3s and Mobile Phones had been around for a long time before Apple jumped in.

I have never bought any Apple products before and will not buy the current iPad but I will reconsider when there are more features. However, I am not a "hater" like you, IIIII. You are obviously an angry person and enjoys attacking and tearing at others without basis. Shame!!!

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 6:44 am ET

@ Warren:
Don't have the pre-launch or the first 24 hour figures, but....

Kindle – sold out in 5 1/2 hours (Amazon doesn't release their sales figures so I cannot locate the number of units sold).
PS3 – 2 million units in first 2 months
Xbox – 1.5 million units in first month

Just to really get the Fanboiz ranting and raving:
Commodore 64 – 1 million + units sold within the 4 months of its release (impressive for 1982)

And Warren, please point out in any of my posts above where I stated i was a "hater." I merely state a few things to get all the Apple Fanboiz riled up. You should try it sometimes. Way to easy since Steve has them hook line and sinker.

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 6:51 am ET

Sidenote: I really wanted to list the sales figures for the original Sony Walkman from 1979, but am unable to locate sales figures for that year and product. Its a shame really, but oh well.

And thank you for pointing out the (pardon me for a lack of better wording here) "brainwashing" by Steve Jobs: he designs a product that is pretty much a tablet as you claim: ("Many companies have marketed the Tablet and failed, so let's see if Apple could make a difference."). So, to avoid the failure of another tablet, Steve markets it as neither a laptop/netbook or tablet, claiming its something new and different. Thus driving the Apple Fanboiz into a craze and thus wanting one creating all the hype. They will buy anything that Steve puts on the market so long as it has an the partially eaten apple sticker on it somewhere. And that is the part that amuses us so called 'haters." We do not hate, we merely enjoy watching the mindless driivel of the mindless Apple masses.

Cape Canaveral Don   April 15th, 2010 8:58 am ET

Mine works great and I use it for work and play. Well worth the wait.

I find that the only people who don't like them are, interestingly enough, those who have never used one. For some reason they want to share their opinion with us. That, I don't understand. Kind of like me reviewing a Droid, but only by reading the specs.

No problem with WiFi. When I first got it, it didn't see a Lynksys router, I reset the network and now I use hotspots all over the place.

For me, the iPad is a great device.

kelly major   April 15th, 2010 10:19 am ET

Hey! Here's a novel idea!
If you do want one, buy one.
If you DON'T want one, DON'T buy one.
DON'T comment about it here, and when those do,
when they obviously DON'T want one, only make
themselves sound like whining children.
By all means, GO buy whatever product you DO
want, and leave your comments there.
Sheesh! What a bunch of babies!

blahblah   April 15th, 2010 10:21 am ET

From a bunch of the negative posts, looks like a lot of the old school MS PC convalescent users just cant handle another youthful Apple success story.

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 10:47 am ET

@blahblah: Who said its a success story? The product hasn't been out long enough to claim its a success. If sales fall off over time its not a success, just a hype. Hype = the first week or so of sales. Success = long-term sustainability on the market. i.e – continued sales over a long period of time.   April 15th, 2010 11:16 am ET

Success = ipod, iphone, itunes, MacBook, APPLE!!!

Deal with it and accept it. Period.

Krish   April 15th, 2010 11:28 am ET

It is absolutely amazing why some people will talk bad about the product when they dont even have one. I got mine last week and it works absolutely fine, no problem at all, the wifi works fine, the apps works fine and it is the best internet experience I had better than the laptop.

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 12:15 pm ET, I am not disputing the success of those 4 devices. they were inovative in what they could do and what they were designed to do. As for the iPad, having an oversized iPod without the ability to be used as a phone and no camera for a much higher price makes no sense. I guess they were right when they said common sense is a thing of the past. All you have to do is look to Apple Fanboiz and you'll see its true.

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

Correction, it should have read: "an oversized iPhone without the ability..."

Doghouse Riley   April 15th, 2010 12:33 pm ET

I bought an ipad and then walked outside the store where everyone was lined up to buy one, and I SMASHED it right in front of everybody!

Aaron   April 15th, 2010 12:55 pm ET

Those that claim that the iPad is just a fad that will go away clearly don't understand the history of technology. Among the things that were once considered fads are: electricity, gas stoves, refrigerators, telephones, automobiles, vacuum cleaners, personal computers, the Internet, just to name a few.

If it's just a fad, why are scores of other companies, such as Microsoft, HP, Google, Sony, and others lining up to create their own versions?

As another commenter had said: If you want one, buy one. If you don't want one, don't buy one. It's that simple. What is this obsession people have in trying to convince others to buy or not buy?

Michael   April 15th, 2010 1:33 pm ET

Just curious – what about this makes you feel so strongly that you're posting so many comments in this article?

Yes, I'm posting this on a Mac workstation that also has Ubuntu, Windows 7, Windows XP and Mac OS X Server in virtual machines. I don't own an iPhone, I own a Droid. I don't own an iPod either. I'm hardly an Apple fanboi. I use what we find to be the best tool for the job.

I work for the largest university in the US and part of my job is to evaluate and implement technology for our students and staff. As a result, I get to look at a lot of products and gadgets and evaluate them. Perks of the job. :)

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I just can't understand the approach that anyone is so set on an Apple product being a failure when recent Apple products have proved the complete opposite. They've not only been incredible successes – they've transformed industries.

What is the basis of your logic that iPaid will fail? Surely you're not using recent history to support this?

lIllI   April 15th, 2010 1:54 pm ET

I love when people list my name...makes them sound like they are stuttering. but I digress hehehe.

Michael, I am glad that you feel so obligated to puff out your chest as you spout off all the OS you have on your simple little machine and of the other devices you own. Would you like a cookie? Do you feel special? I am glad to hear about your profession, thanks for sharing. Why is it that people feel obligated to explain about their job on these boards? Its as if they think people really care or that it gives them some sort fo credibility. Oh well, more power to you Michael.

Anywho...BETA v VHS, HD v Blu Ray.
In the first two cases the first one listed above was supposed to be the latest and greatest but was killed by the version that followed afterwards. And such will be the case with "The pad." The Courier will beat it out. Yes, I know its a bit of a stretch comparing the multimedia product to the new multimedia device but its very similar. Though the devices tend to not fade out completely, the Pad will still be around, but its current fad will dwindle and the more popular devices will shine. I am not a mindless follower of MS at all: I do research on devices before I pick them up. And once again, yet another Apple Fanboi questions why people are against the Pad. Look at the pricepoint of it, look at the price point of an iPhone. Tell me what the iPad has that the iPhone doesn't and explain the reason for the higher PP.

Scott   April 15th, 2010 2:02 pm ET

I bought an ipad thinking i could return it if i didn't really like a lot...Well i'm keeping it for sure. Like most others i have zero issues with wifi or anything else. For those saying a laptop can do way more than the ipad. Well it can do more, but a ipad is way smaller and nice and cool if you want to use it in bed or on your lap(don't have to worry about the fans being blocked like with a laptop). And if it's a fad a lot of other companies are making pretty much the same thing so they will be screwed as well.

tj1965   April 15th, 2010 2:20 pm ET

I bought one a week after the release. I like it alot. It is much quicker to access than my laptop. I use my laptop much less now, because the Ipad is just easier to use for most of what I do. I am sure that in two years I will replace it with something newer, but I am OK with that.

BTW, stop feeding the trolls and haters. When you engage in arguments with idiots, it just brings you down to their level. Let them roll around in their hate, it provides them with self justification in life.

dirk diggler   April 15th, 2010 2:27 pm ET

I was sitting on my patio in machesney park il enjoying some refreshmnets and it flew right over my trailer. There was a lot of light like a giant laser beam and it made a loud booming sound... I jumped up out of my seat and dove underneath my trailer yelling take cover to my wife and kids! The next thing i know my wife is pullin my legs yellin at me to get out from underneath the trailer. Her and the kids didn't see a thing

Futbol Czarina   April 15th, 2010 2:55 pm ET

What problems need to be fixed on the iPad? Mine works flawlessly, as I've come to expect from Apple. Never had such luck with any other companies prior to this. I will holler from the rooftop, "iPad IS FABULOUS!!!"
But I love every Apple product we're owned thus far: the Mac, iPhone, and iPad. I'm a self-proclaimed Apple junkie.

Brian   April 15th, 2010 3:16 pm ET

I love my Ipad. I use it a lot, and have had No issues....none....nada

Jason   April 16th, 2010 4:23 am ET

ipad would be perfect if it only had flash, so you can go to all the differnt websites, when apple fixes this issue then i will buy and then promite the sale of it ,,,

Sency   April 16th, 2010 10:33 pm ET

Apple IPAD is awesome, people are going to love it across the world

Roger   April 18th, 2010 8:20 am ET

So, what is this about the new Ipod touch 3G being released in September?
I seems to me like Apple is just continuing to turn out stuff, maybe once the craze of the Ipad dies down a little bit.

alex   April 19th, 2010 12:59 pm ET

ipad is wi-fi signal is horrible my ipod touch has better signal

Jeff Allen   May 1st, 2010 4:50 am ET

The real problem with the internatinal delay is Apple obviously feel US customers are more important than international customers and more or less say so in the press release. As a long standing Apple customer with computers, lap tops and iphones in our house I feel Apple have become arrogant and think its OK to annouce a launch date and then change it so US customers are taken care of first doesnt say much about what they think of international customers.

Vegetable Storage :   October 31st, 2010 11:22 am ET

my favorite birthday present is always stuff toy, i always give cute stuff toys to anyone i know that celebrates his/her birthd "

Apple, Inc Statement: iPad™ International Orders Delayed One Month — Apple iPad Buzz   July 9th, 2011 8:35 pm ET

get an ipad free   April 2nd, 2012 12:15 pm ET

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a very neatly written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

I am just getting started on the Internet. I am retired now. I can see that there is a rich diversity in the blogs I am reading and I am trying to leave some comment whereever I visit. I think that you have to put some attention on a blog to bring it abov   June 14th, 2012 5:00 pm ET

You're in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a wonderful activity in this subject!

Leave Your Comment