SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 14, 2010

Google unveils 'replay' search feature

Posted: 03:08 PM ET

It's already easy to find relevant Twitter updates in Google real-time search results. Now, thanks to a new Google feature, you can see what people were tweeting about a topic last week or last month.

Google on Wednesday introduced a “replay” feature that allows users to search tweets posted at any given point in time - down to the minute.

Let’s say you're curious to see what people were tweeting about Kathryn Bigelow the night of the Academy Awards on March 7. After you type her name into Google's search field, select “Show Options” on the results page and then click “Updates.”

A timeline will appear above the results, allowing you to zero in on tweets by the hour or minute. They spiked late in the Oscars telecast, when excited viewers began tweeting about Bigelow becoming the first woman to win Best Director.

Here's a preview of what the new feature looks like.

“By replaying tweets, you can explore any topic that people have discussed on Twitter,” wrote Dylan Casey, Google product manager for real-time search, in a post on Google's blog.

For now, users can explore tweets going back about two months - to February 11 - although Google promises that you’ll soon be able to search as far back as the very first tweet on March 21, 2006.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Google • Twitter

greenteagod   April 14th, 2010 6:06 pm ET

What the hell is with the tweet garbage. I wish I could run a blocking program that would eliminate all tweets from any search results, any website, etc etc etc. I just don't care who's tweeting what.

Testy   April 14th, 2010 6:20 pm ET

@greenteagod: Ok, grandpa, why don't you just have some warm milk and go back to bed.

Simpsons Reference   April 14th, 2010 6:48 pm ET

I find it more interesting how I can already view tweet logs of, I'm assuming, anyone. It's simply the next generation of employers looking up job applicants as they've been doing with Facebook and MySpace.

Good luck, suckers!🙂

SG   April 14th, 2010 7:46 pm ET

@greenteagod: And why won't these damn kids stay off my lawn!

Eric   April 14th, 2010 7:49 pm ET

I think this totally validates the what new services like Eternos.com (or backupify) are doing re: creating a personal archive by backing up what we're already doing on social sites. I like to have my privacy settings enabled so I guess I won't be seeing my tweets in the Library of Congress in the future. That said, my account on Eternos.com already backs up my tweets, as well as my facebook activity etc. I think these records are going to give our descendants valuable insights into what sort of people we are, how we live, and what matters most to us.

Skunk Bunny   April 14th, 2010 8:02 pm ET

@greenteagod

I'm tweeting this right now!!! I thought you could appreciate this post.

DrD   April 14th, 2010 9:02 pm ET

greenteagod, you're quite correct, that's why it's so unpopular, oh wait...

Bond, James Bond   April 14th, 2010 10:16 pm ET

Hey, easy on greenteagod, guys...
It is no secret some folks are using Twitter way too much – to the point that there is no value in what they say or what their friends say. Still, can't argue with success – although MySpace used to be da bomb in its heyday now many teens do not even know what that site is🙂
Watch out for Google Buzz / Wave and whatever the heck M$ is cooking up...

Turner   April 14th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

This is a good feature, but tweets are usually information poor. This is the year 2010. It would be better if this were a replay of blogging – and set up with appropriate delay so that we could band the results into the time it takes for people to actually think about things. After all, purchase decisions aren't made on a spur of the moment – about the things that people are actually going to be careful about buying. The stuff they use discretionary money to buy will end up being subject to random influence.

jd-   April 14th, 2010 10:24 pm ET

Wow... what has the internet come to? This is hardly relevant. The internet becomes more of a reflection of a society everyday. There used to actually be relevant and FREE information... Now everything is paid for if you actually want good data or to find relevant information.

The new youth (under 25) is a totally different animal of generation... no privacy advocacy, and poor critical thinking abilities.

j   April 14th, 2010 10:34 pm ET

I agree greenteagod...Who cares who is tweeting what...I never got this whole twitter thing. I dont care what someone has to say about kathryn bigelow, ochocinco or whoever else. Form your own opinions, educate yourself and move on. I cant wait till twitter fails and people realize what a waste it was

Sam-I-Am   April 14th, 2010 10:36 pm ET

From my perspective, tweeting, twittering, or whatever you call it is pure inanity. That's insanity minus the "S," for those of you who still haven't figured out how to put your three pounds to better use.

To borrow a phrase from the famous Doctor, God rest his soul:

I would not like tweets or spam here or there.
I would not like them anywhere.
I do not like tweets and spam.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am

Martin   April 14th, 2010 10:54 pm ET

109 million registered users, but only 100,000 daily users.

Twitter is just a fad.

John L   April 14th, 2010 10:55 pm ET

I agree with greenteagod, tweeting is for the birds.

j   April 14th, 2010 11:00 pm ET

Great point Martin. I cant wait for this fad to end...There is nothing worse then reading an article from CNN, NBC or ESPN and seeing several references to Twitter..What ever happened to verifying sources.

John   April 14th, 2010 11:02 pm ET

I agree with greentea god. It honestly doesn't matter to me how popular Twitter gets, the fact remains I do not care what someone else is doing or thinking. I have my own life. Kind of makes you wonder how silly people will actually get with technology before they have just had enough.

Paul Alves   April 14th, 2010 11:13 pm ET

All you people complaining about twitter tweets, just dont read them.

Do you really need the internet in general and the government to baby sit you and tell you what to read?

If you are not interested in the new media, which happens to involve EVERYONE and not just a hand full of corporations owned by the top 1% rich then just turn off your computer and turn on the boob tube and let the rest of us move on to the new media.

nick   April 14th, 2010 11:25 pm ET

my favorite part about jd's comment that spoke disparagingly of the youth population, was the poor grammar he/ she used by saying is instead of are. haha poor critical thinking skills be damned dude.

nick   April 14th, 2010 11:29 pm ET

and for the record twitter is dumb and its it not as though everyone uses it. people who regularly use the internet for information are at best 65% of the country and only a subset of that uses twitter. so twitter is not some force sweeping up the majority of the nation like anyone would have you believe. it has a built it set of people interested in it just like cigarettes and bocce ball, who cares.

Charlie   April 14th, 2010 11:36 pm ET

Twitter has it's place. But basically, it is thousands and thousands of people chatting in small sound bites at the same time. It's noisy.

I paired myself down to following the 4 most relevant tweets in my world....and after a while, it becomes just another noisemaker on my phone.

TMI

Jack McKinsey   April 14th, 2010 11:37 pm ET

@ john, if you didn't care what anyone thought or did, you wouldn't be reading an article on CNN.com (and commenting on it no less).

in fact, your comment is almost short enough to be a 140 character friendly tweet!

Troyzkoi   April 14th, 2010 11:41 pm ET

Twitter and all those other stupid web sites do nothing but take up bandwith on the net. Come on when is somebody going to delete all the crap that is on the net and replace it with intelligent web pages. We humans can create garbage out of anything everywhere, even in the virtual world too.

David   April 14th, 2010 11:47 pm ET

Oh, please...PLEASE can I know what somebody who i don't even know was blabbering last week? So I not only can be with turdmuffin36 in the present, but I can reconnect with the glory days of @twizzlestick! Google began as a source for information, now it's the leader in naval gazing, time wasting and intense meaninglessness.

BTW, I have no doubt this will be a big success.

Lisa Susie   April 14th, 2010 11:55 pm ET

I'm with greenteagod and jd about this. How much thought is going into a 140-character post? How much content can there be to one? It's not as if folks are sitting there creating text with the precision and depth of haiku. I'm an early adopter of the Internet for social purposes, but I never envisioned that it would degrade so rapidly into stream-of consciousness narcissism. I make my living via the Net, and I probably will have to take on some of this garbage, but it's under protest, believe me.

TEX   April 15th, 2010 12:01 am ET

Me likey games.

MrRick   April 15th, 2010 12:01 am ET

What's a "Google",and for that matter what in the world is a "Twitter" ?

colin   April 15th, 2010 12:46 am ET

Tweeting is for people who cannot hold more than one thought in their heads at a time or put a coherent sentence together and have the attention span of gnats. In brief – Americans.

Kamaldeen   April 15th, 2010 1:09 am ET

Actually, there is not sufficient appreciation i can give. Because u had done more than expected.

TRLARSON   April 15th, 2010 1:14 am ET

Great point Simpsons Reference...

John   April 15th, 2010 1:23 am ET

Regardless whether you think this new feature is relevant or not, you have to applaud Google for continuing to roll out amazing features that certain people (in the masses) will enjoy and use on a regular basis.

Google can't be stopped in my opinion.

Go Google!

Moss   April 15th, 2010 1:27 am ET

Come on now, this is borderline compulsive. Technology is not food. This bubble will also come to bust.

Monty   April 15th, 2010 1:35 am ET

man I feel like becoming Walter on Grand Toreno... "get off my lawn"

mb   April 15th, 2010 1:44 am ET

Speaking as a member of the youngest college-age generation, I too think that this whole blogging culture is getting out of hand. I do agree with greenteagod. I, along with many of my fellow generation Y-ers believe that less time/money should be spent in research for technology for convenience and pleasure, and more for needful things. Such as how to deal with overpopulation, the water crisis, etc. etc.

This isn't to say that such as google are not necessary or relevent, I just find it slightly shameful that this is making CNN.

Jason   April 15th, 2010 2:02 am ET

Good to see I'm not alone in wishing the news media would SHUT UP about Twitter. I'm 29 and have been glued to the Internet since I was 13 and it was all in text. I can program complex database-driven applications for the web or desktop computers in several different languages. I'm as tech-savvy as they get, and I can't STAND this Twitter craze. There is nothing enlightening about a bunch of people with nothing better to do than updating the whole world on what they had for breakfast. It's like a legion of fools just discovered the Internet all at once and they're all extreeeeemely easily impressed... and CNN is just giddy about participating in this farce.

Senor Rock   April 15th, 2010 2:42 am ET

I can see it now, the next time some celebrity gets into trouble for doing something stupid the media will be all over this. Let's take a look back to the night of the incident and see what they were tweeting.

steve   April 15th, 2010 2:50 am ET

Twitter and blogging remind me of CB Radio and can you think of very many people still using a CB Radio to socialize? Love the numbers 190 million registered users and only 100,000 daily...heck, the dying newpapwers have larger daily circulation....Twitter a fad

Ben   April 15th, 2010 2:53 am ET

Hey, Hey, "Texting"... Twitter started texting! It will stay very popular! oh by the way, its 100,000 tweeters at any given time! JFK told us that we could learn a lot from a guy sweeping his broom on the sidewalk. Read the tweets and you will learn a little something you weren't aware of every day! Peace.

danywin   April 15th, 2010 3:28 am ET

Planning an import/export business! Start from here with ByTrade.com! A fastest growing B2B trade portal, open to FR-E-E registration!

Tiki   April 15th, 2010 3:46 am ET

mb, I wish you wouldn't speak for the whole 'college generation'. I for one can say I do NOT fall within your gross generalization: "generation Y-ers believe that less time/money should be spent in research for technology for convenience and pleasure, and more for needful things." Erm, HELLO? Technology research leads to discovery of how to solve "more for needful things". Myopic much?

The Doctor   April 15th, 2010 6:22 am ET

You're
all
sick.
Eat a pile
of
sh!t
&
Tweet me
in
the morning!

StarkRG   April 15th, 2010 7:44 am ET

One of many great side effects of twitter is the ability to form cluster maps. There was an explosion in Portland, OR a month or so ago, they were able to figure out the location based on people's tweets.

There are a great many people who say absolutely nothing worth listening to, but there is a smaller subset of twitter users who are actually worth listening to. Several people I follow say insightful or interesting things. More often it's funny things. And, in a few cases, you get a conversation going with complete strangers.

mrego   April 15th, 2010 10:05 am ET

@testy: I also have no interest in Ashton Kutcher's latest tweet telling the world that he's going to the bathroom. You probably also think every cell phone conversation should be put in the Library of Congress, so years from now we can listen in awe to the mindless calls people make while meandering down the street: "I'm on Main St. I've got to stop for a red light. I'll call you when I get to the other side." Or the repeat calls you watch people make Mon-Fri at the same time: "I just got out of work. I'm on the T."

Phil   April 15th, 2010 10:27 am ET

Like greenteagod, I too could give a $h!t what people are "tweeting" about. I've never been on twitter and probably never will.

When I search for things on Google, I search for things I want to know about – not what someone else is wanting to know about.

Learn how to search with boolean queries. and, not, or, +, – and so on. You'll be able to narrow your search down from 41,000,000 to 35 if you do it right. Use quotes too.

Jasper   April 15th, 2010 11:02 am ET

I registered for Twitter just to get a co-worker to stop urging me to do so. Have never used it or logged in, etc. I'd just as soon hear strangers fart– at least that'd produce a lowbrow guffaw from time to time.

I was on Facebook for about a year, had fun reconnecting with people, then my account got hacked and for the last 18 mos I've been off. Don't miss it.

And I'm hardly a technophobe– I just use tech as a tool more than a toy. I'm on my Blackberry most of the day, online 50 or more hours a week, run a tech company, have 4 computers in the house. My point is that Twitter and social networks in general are not for the young vs. the old, or the techies vs. the luddites. Whoever they're for, though, I know only 1 person (the persistent co-worker) who pays any attention to Twitter. Everyone else I know rolls their eyes at it.

I think there are only 2 groups of people who care about Twitter: the small # of actual users, and reporters and others who stupidly think that simply using the word 'Twitter' will somehow get them business or attention.

gummyballz   April 15th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

Wow, this tweet bull has gotten out of hand... are you seriously that board that you need to "replay" something that was lame to begin with, isnt once enough?
"omg, i just tweeted on a month old tweet about what some dumb""" said about someone they never met." thats sooo awesome!!!
honestly for all the sweet stuff google has put out, i guess it was a matter of time before they did something stupid....

Andy   April 15th, 2010 2:57 pm ET

If you don't use Twitter, like I don't, then don't use the feature. As useless as some tweets may be, whining about them is even worse. It's not illegal, it's not harmful, and people want to do it. So let them.

greg   April 15th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

Sounds like its time to short twitter...

Ryan   April 15th, 2010 4:59 pm ET

What a lame site and service...... twitter, tweeting..... good god, who cares. Do we need updates and constant posts of junk during the course of everyone's day? I don't think so....... and no, I'm not old.... I'm just think some things are truly a waste of time

Ellie   April 15th, 2010 5:26 pm ET

the negative posters are most likely anti social losers who still live with their mother and troll CNN.

Some people like being friendly and have fun debates or learning things from people that they themselves never knew. Twitter is great atthat. Yes you have your moronic individuals who tweet everything from shaving their groin to going down a flight of steps, but twitter is quite resourceful if you know where your looking.

Can't handle it? Unplug your ethernet cable from the modem, because it's not going anywhere

greenteagod   April 15th, 2010 5:30 pm ET

I'm sorry for being an old geezer earlier, I just like it up the butt.

danial54   April 16th, 2010 8:04 am ET

Dear Testy,,,,,You go ahead and go after greenteagod...it's your right. But know this. Greenteagod is correct. Twitter is nothing more than people shooting off their mouth about crap that nobody really wants to hear, or cares about. To even think that muck like that should be included in a google search is preposterous. Some of todays electronics and technology is gone to far. Tweet all you want, but most don't care what you have to say about anything.
Suck on that!

TMI Timmy   April 16th, 2010 8:33 am ET

... is clipping his toenails

TMI Timmy   April 16th, 2010 8:33 am ET

... is reading his last post

TMI Timmy   April 16th, 2010 8:34 am ET

... burped

TMI Timmy   April 16th, 2010 8:36 am ET

... has a puss sac on his inner thigh

TMI Timmy   April 16th, 2010 8:39 am ET

... can't wait until his grandkids read this in 2035

YooTeeAyud   April 16th, 2010 9:32 am ET

Tweeters remind me of somebody trying to Baptize a goat...when you shove their head down, their ass pops up!

Todd   April 16th, 2010 9:59 am ET

Twitter for the most part is pointless. You gotta wade through the nonsense to find the useful stuff.

BridgeTroll   April 16th, 2010 10:30 am ET

It' called 'Twitter' because only the ni'twits' of society are on board with it. Ones' privacy is so worth protecting; too bad that lesson-learned will come too late.........

JC   April 16th, 2010 12:20 pm ET

This Google search feature will be another filter to help people cut through all the "noise" that was previously mentioned.

Think of it like the search feature for YouTube...there are tons of worthless videos on there. But when you can search for specific things, the results are much more relevant and useful.

tweetersucks   April 16th, 2010 12:26 pm ET

I'm 23 and i find tweeter useless. Facebook has everything and more. I would not assume somebody is old because they do not like tweeter. It is a useless site for 12 year old females.

Sency   April 16th, 2010 10:32 pm ET

Replay search looks interesting

Read Me! | Google unveils 'replay' search feature   April 17th, 2010 7:22 pm ET

[...] Google unveils 'replay' search feature by AbsoluteJered 14. April 2010 05:18 From CNN: [...]

quinchy   April 19th, 2010 10:17 pm ET

Some of these comments are so funny, I almost 'tweeted' on myself!

AmoureAppof   May 21st, 2011 12:20 pm ET

X-ray machines at checkpoints in southern Mexico are capturing the ghostly outlines of a clandestine business worth billions a year, people packed tighter than cattle and transported like consumer goods in tractor trailers to the United States.
The machines in place for less than two years at two state police checkpoints have led to the two largest hauls of migrants, who pay anywhere from $7,000 to $30,000 for passage, depending where they start.
The United Nations estimates that smuggling migrants across Mexico's border with the U.S. alone is a $6.6 billion business annually, compared to an estimated the $10 billion to $29 billion in illegal drug running. The migrant smuggling estimate doesn't include another $1 billion paid by thousands of non-Mexicans to cross from Guatemala and travel north, according to a 2010 U.N. report on transnational crime.
The 513 people apprehended Tuesday in two trailers in the state of Chiapas, bordering Guatemala, represented at least $3.5 million in cargo. Another trailer filled with 219 people was discovered in January.
"As far as I know, this is the first time we've seen such big numbers, but it does confirm what we already knew," said Antonio Mazzitelli of the regional U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime. "There are more and more people coming from all other regions of the world using the Central American and Mexican corridor to reach the North American market."
While the majority of migrants found Tuesday were Guatemalan, there were also Indians, Nepalese and Chinese.
Smuggling in decades past was the business of small independent operators who helped migrants cross once they reached the U.S. border. But evading U.S. authorities has become much more difficult with increased border enforcement in recent years. At the same time, Mexico's migrant routes have become much more dangerous, controlled by drug gangs that see new moneymaking opportunities in kidnapping and extorting those who cross their territory.
The harder the trip, the higher the price. Guatemalan officials, who estimate 300 to 500 undocumented nationals cross the border each day into Mexico, say those migrants are paying double what they did two years ago, as much as $10,000 for the hope of gaining work in the United States.
"According to the testimony given our staff, the cost of migration rises every day," Fernando Batista Jimenez, an investigator for Mexico's National Commission on Human Rights, said in an email. "Not only because of the walls, policies and legislation against migrants, but because of the ever-expanding presence of organized crime, given the lack of coordination among three levels of government to fight it."

source: news.yaho.com

eagereCes   May 25th, 2011 11:56 pm ET

Florida deep-sea explorers asked a federal appeals court Tuesday to overturn an earlier ruling that 17 tons of treasure recovered from a sunken Spanish galleon belongs to Spain, deepening a long-running battle over a trove worth at least $500 million that has unfolded not on the high seas but in federal courtrooms.
Attorneys for Odyssey Marine Exploration asked the three-judge panel of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold the "finders keepers" rule that would give the treasure hunters the rights to silver coins, copper ingots, gold cufflinks and other artifacts salvaged about four years ago from the galleon off the coast of Portugal. Spain's lawyers countered that U.S. courts are obligated by international treaty and maritime law to uphold Spain's claim to the haul.

salewatch   May 10th, 2012 3:03 am ET

It will never go wrong to buy at onlinefashionhandbags.com, because all the come in great quality, wonderful design and affordable price.site: http://www.onlinefashionhandbags.com/

Mickey Saggione   May 1st, 2013 11:19 pm ET

Prior to the widespread use of microprocessors, a computer that could fit on a desk was considered remarkably small. Early personal computers, like the IBM PC, were "desktop" machines, with a horizontally oriented computer case, usually intended to have the display screen placed on top to save space on the desktop. In modern usage the word "desktop" usually refers to tower cases that are in fact more often located on the floor under the desk than on a desk.,`

Have a look at all of the freshest short article at our personal website
<http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/caramoan-tour-package/