SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 14, 2010

Original Xbox LIVE is no more

Posted: 11:55 AM ET
A final salute
A final salute

At midnight tonight, Microsoft shuts down its original Xbox LIVE service for good.

But before you fling your console out the window, the company is only discontinuing the online service for original Xbox consoles and games, including version 1 games playable on Xbox 360 and Xbox Originals. This means "Halo 2" multiplayer and "Battlefront 2" - two of the more popular online games - won't be available anymore.

The original Xbox LIVE service, started in 2002, paved the way for other consoles and services to connect gamers via the Web and changed the way video games are played and designed. While it did not age well (friends lists capped at 100 people), it laid the groundwork for Microsoft to expand features now available in the current Xbox LIVE, including social networking and movie downloads.

There was some fan backlash after Microsoft's initial announcement two months ago. Some gamers felt betrayed for putting time and money into older games only to have them yanked away. Others suggested a separate service for the older version 1 games, but it appears that Microsoft is dedicated to its current Xbox LIVE service.

"This isn't a decision we made lightly, but after careful consideration, it is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community," Xbox's Marc Whitten said in a recent letter to Xbox LIVE members.

How much were you using the older service? Does this make an impact on your gameplay choices? Let us know what you were playing!

Posted by:
Filed under: Gaming • Microsoft Corp. • video games

Greg   April 16th, 2010 11:08 am ET

So... The original XBox Live service can be phased out after 1 generation but somehow IE6 has survived for 3...

Aurelio   April 16th, 2010 5:56 pm ET

Goodness! People still use IE6? Why? Get Firefox or something.... The old IE6 can't even support tabbed-browsing lolz!!

U are Losers   April 16th, 2010 6:54 pm ET

Thanks for everything Original Xbox Live. We'll miss you, but hopefully it's for the best. And for all you PS fans, Is the PS2 service still alive? Exactly

Sency   April 16th, 2010 10:33 pm ET

I remember this first came out – sad to see it go:

I M Tired   April 17th, 2010 11:28 pm ET

I for one think the whole ps3 vs. 360 thing is stupid. Me and my friends play both of them and they're both great systems with great exclusive game-play. The whole superiority thing is idiotic. Are you really going to be staring at the textures and examining for which bit they are (16 or 32)? Yeah, the textures are at 16 for MW2 on ps3. Does it make an amazing difference during online game-play? Not so much. Have you seen how great ps3 exclusives look (like god of war 3)? But at the same time, that doesn't mean I'm a ps3 fan-boy because Halo 1 on the Xbox was the real 'modern' game-play experience I've ever had, and I've been a fan with it ever since it came out. The point is, yeah you can argue that the graphics are freakn amazing (ps3 or 360, both are very arguable) but its not necessarily something to be so critical about. I don't do that with NES' Mario, and as far as I can tell, people have spent more hours (and had more fun) on that than any video game I can recall despite its pixelized(<- made up a word there according to spell check) graphics . As for the canceling of the old Live, It seems like the logical thing to do. The fact is, as new things come up, the old things will eventually lose support. Its how the windows operating systems work for example. The fact is, with more people on the 360 and the new Live, why should Microsoft devote effort to keeping the old one running? It just doesn't make sense to do so.

poopsicle   April 20th, 2010 8:09 am ET

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........the xbox is my life!!!! i have to go jump of a bridge

poopsicle   April 20th, 2010 8:12 am ET

TAMMY!   April 21st, 2010 1:50 am ET

I didn't even know the xbox (1) had Live... I thought Live was just for the 360

øCoreyLazTø   June 1st, 2010 10:21 am ET

does this means that i cannot sign in to my new xbox live account(that i made with a pc)via the old xbox?

Dave Mann   June 15th, 2010 1:07 pm ET

This is the cycle and they provided warning a while back that this change for XBL was coming. So get over it. Pick up a real game like Red Dead Redemption and get out there. You need a change by now and for M$ that's where the $$$$ come from. Rockstar did a great job with this game and it has amazing depth.

Ok   June 15th, 2010 2:07 pm ET

So now you can stop being a cheap idiot and buy an Xbox360.

Matt   June 20th, 2010 9:18 pm ET

I, along with many others still placed Conker Live & Reloaded on a regular basis. With no future plans of creating another squeal to that game, this highly effects my game play.

Oat Bran   July 8th, 2010 10:00 pm ET

Not only can you not play battlefront 2 online, but any game add-ons you downloaded arn't accessable either. So the extra maps and characters are no longer playable, which means anyone who spent money getting the add ons is now S.O.L. Gotta love microsoft for that one.

>_> i hate you microsoft!   July 12th, 2010 11:46 pm ET

Fuck you there were people,your fans infact who bought those games for either console and you do this?i hope you get sued. o @Oat Bran i agree

David   August 8th, 2010 7:51 pm ET

Wow, this is so dumb! I just tried to connect and play Halo 2 and was shut down. This is ridiculous I played Halo 2 ALL the time up until like February. I wouldn't have stopped then If I knew this was going to happen.

Microsoft just wants freakin' money. They know that by doing this people will be 360 and get on that LIVE, but I don't even want to. Halo 2 was the greatest game ever put out. Nothing will compare.

" is clear this will provide the greatest benefit to the Xbox LIVE community,"

F you. How? How in the hell does that benefit the community? How does this benefit me.

Douche Bags....

Kyle   August 17th, 2010 6:32 pm ET

This kinda sucks. I haven't played on xbox live in a while, and I just realized now that it really is gone... I went to go play Forza Motorsport online, and it couldn't connect me... I am very disappointed since the Xbox 360 in our house is my brother's, and I am moving out with my original Xbox and 30 games soon... so no more live for me I guess.
I still played alot of Xbox games...
I will probably try and start a lan system-to-system club in college for original Xbox fans...

Olaf   September 13th, 2010 9:36 pm ET

Leave it to Micro$oft to not support their own product. Time to move on to Playstation.

Demetria Hylle   December 31st, 2010 2:10 am ET

I would personally sooner go without practically anything at all though not really my games console.

Zack   January 1st, 2011 9:31 pm ET

Well that really sucks /: im going to miss playing Halo 2. Its to bad Bungie cant make there own service for Halo 2 on the Original Xbox. That was the only game i played on it, and still love my pc is crap, and is not good for gaming thats why i bought the Xbox in the first place! Personally its a load of crap, that in any way Microsoft thinks its EVEN SLIGHTLY OK TO DISCONTINUE THE OLD LIVE SERVICE.

Bret Soderstrom   January 10th, 2011 2:30 pm ET

Hey! I simply saw one other message in another blog that seemed like this. How do you know all these things? That’s one cool post.

D382H   July 1st, 2011 2:42 pm ET

I personally don't see why older XBOX games couldn't be patched to work with the new live service? if Microsoft are soooooo amazing then surely this minor config settings change to their live service is a mere 5 minute task...???

Clearly Microsoft don't understand just how amazing their older titles still are and as a direct result fail to conceive that people still want to play Halo 1 & 2 online... the least they could of done was rent it out to game spy and transfer the accounts over???

Maybe I should be working at Microsoft Game Studios??? then again... perhaps not lol :P

but, seriously!!! is it that difficult to allow the older XBOX live service to run alongside the new one? PSN still runs on the PS2 and supports PS2 games on the PS3???

Sony: we may get hacked but, we love our customers and value them
Microsoft: Money money money... it's all we know :P

Zeri-net   July 22nd, 2011 11:07 pm ET

I like this this
Excuse, that I can not participate now in discussion – it is very occupied. But I will be released – I will necessarily write that I think on this question.

san   July 24th, 2011 5:17 pm ET

Liam   August 12th, 2011 4:40 pm ET

Boooooooooo, bought a points card to play online , only to find this out. I wonder if a community will open up to fill this void. It is BS that Halo 2 the game that basically started Xbox Live is no more. There was still a huge player base and closing this service is a vrey poor choice for microsoft....You have lost my business because of your lack of respect for the gamers that have stuck to the classics...I guess it is a ps3 for me....

Yami91   August 20th, 2011 10:58 am ET

After seeing how fast the original live has died I don't think I'm going to invest in a 360. I still use my original Xbox because some of my games are just not compatible anymore. no updates/patches from MS. I'll miss being able to play online with my friends but hey, we can all just go pirate it for pc lol. gotta love game ranger!!! but in all honesty, this is about the closing of OL not about what is a better system.

tyler2thug   November 3rd, 2011 8:15 pm ET

i relly don't believe it. why would u get rid of it. some people cant afford xbox 360s all i hav is a xbox 1. Ive tried and tried until now i figure out that they've shut is down. assholes.........alright im sorry about that but seriosly. WHY?!?!?!

s4tanslilboy   November 3rd, 2011 8:20 pm ET

i fucking hope you get sued you asshole.i bought the xbox the cords two conntrollers five fucking games and you tell me this. i got atv halo 1 halo 2 madden 05 and raw. this bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why dont i shoot myself and make xbox live in HELL OR HEAVEN i dont give a shit.

AJ   December 28th, 2011 4:46 am ET

Very disappointed about the loss of original Xbox Live service. This essentially "guts" half of my game collections abilities I paid to have, not to mention games like Steel Batallion, online only with it's monster control peripheral that wasn't exactly cheap, now rendered completely USELESS. Also, I still have two 12 month original Xbox live subscription cards I never got to use.... can these be used for 24 months of Xbox 360 Live Gold service ( If anyone knows PLEASE reply!)? Or am I completely screwed over?
As a side note to those still seeking to play online with their original Xbox...check out this website for info on XBConnect:

3rrtjzy   January 18th, 2012 1:10 pm ET

- ,

kupyterr   January 18th, 2012 9:26 pm ET Duramale ,Duramale is an Herbal Remedy. Long Lasting Results.Order Now!

Tien Nguyen   February 10th, 2012 6:18 pm ET

I am a big fan of the classic XBOX. I have a game of chess titled, "Chessmaster 10th Edition" by Ubisoft. It would have been nice to try out the feature to play with others around the world. They do have live for the PC however it would be a sort of icing on the cake if XBOX also has it. The controls on each system is different. You get a different feel playing on the classic XBOX than you do on the MacBook Pro. In any case, I hope both systems give me joy with my family and friends peacefully until old age#!!

COFFEELORD   March 22nd, 2012 4:14 am ET

Look, Can't We All Just Agree That Micro-Soft Made An Extremely Bad Decision And Move On? I Mean Really, The Original X-Box Is The Best System I've Used, But It's Time Is Over, Just Like The Gamecube. The XB360 Has Newer Tech, But It Just Doesn't Have That Classic Feeling We Miss.

Sure, Live Can't Be Used, But It's Not The End The System's Life, Go Watch D.V.Ds, Or Play Mech-Assault/Halo 2 On System-Link With Your Girl/Boyfriend(S). What They Should Do However, Is Have An XBox Split-Pay Plan Where You Can Choose From The Original Or The 360, Because I'd Gladly Continue Paying For The Original X-Box, Or Even Convince BUNGIE.NET To Sign A Bill With Micro-Soft Saying "We Are Re-Supporting The Original X-Box For Halo 2"

But Hey, Life Moves On, Why Shouldn't You?

Tien Nguyen   March 22nd, 2012 4:19 am ET

Look, dude... or gal. Whatever! I like Chessmaster 10th Edition. Unfortunately, I am poor and cannot buy UBISOFT a server and an account. So, I have to put up with the game being solo. Okay?!hehe Anyways, I really just like to rant. It stinks... but what can you do? Unless they are giving away free account on a reliable server, I am not going to be playing the half scratched disc that I have. I am joking about the scratch part. It is only partially scratch or unreadable. Anyways, it is a cool game. I just wish I was good enough. Actually, I prefer talking my head off more than I enjoy playing. hehe

yklo005   April 2nd, 2012 2:39 pm ET

im a hardcore halo fan of witch have been playing since day one of HALO:CE, and my opinion is that shutting down Original XBOX:Live was THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF ALL TIME SINCE GAMING COME INTO SERVICE.

shutting down and starting fresh was a good idea, but the fact that you let some of the old games get a way into the XBOX 360 Live cummunity and leave the bigshots behinde was a big mistake.

there was actually statistics that over 10 789 people commited suicide on 2010/04/14. 4/10 out of those where halo fans.

im not making all of this up microsoft.

if u will make old xbox live avaible again, or just make halo 2 avaible for xbox 360, THEN IM GOING TO LITTERALLY BE THE HAPPIEST GUY ON THE INTIERE FUCKING PLANET.
so please reconsider it.
yklo 005 signin out....

RAVERGIRL492   May 14th, 2012 12:34 pm ET

damn cpffeelord, your the first person here to make PERFECT sense, to a point, i do miss my old xbox, but like you said, life moves on, why shouldn't you.

well said, my friend. i hope we run into eachother on the 360.

mastermind45   June 19th, 2012 11:28 pm ET

this sucks you guys don't really care for original xbox owners

Tien   June 20th, 2012 12:36 am ET

I really like Microsoft products. They produce the best stuffs in certain areas. I just wished they would maintain things for old timers. Let the new kids have their 360, 720, or whatever. As for me personally, I still have the beautiful first edition Xbox I consider a classic! Thank you Jesus Christ. Thank you it still works even though it is dated 2000-2004#!!

PURCHASE VPN   June 25th, 2012 3:31 am ET

Im fairly positive theyll discover a lot of new things here than anybody else!

Flyer-pilot   July 10th, 2012 4:02 am ET|Tayota

XboxFantic   July 18th, 2012 2:27 pm ET

They shut The Service down Cause it Would Result that the 360 Would get New And Exiting Features Microsoft Did There Best With The Original Xbox i whish The Service could Come back id gladly pay for it anyways Now That The original xbox live is gone the xbox 360 Will have Cool Features a new and Special one like SmartGlass

Joshua Meeuwsen   October 27th, 2012 8:27 pm ET

What the Hell! I just hear about this shut down thing, come on! I mean, I was hoping of playing some Star Wars Battlefront 2, Halo 2, or even maybe some Mechassualt against people online. Why couldn't they have posted this stuff in the news on tv for everyone playing the old x-box still. Way to keep me in the dark people.

Sgt McSlauter   December 23rd, 2012 4:19 am ET

F*ck you man. f*ck you.. go suck

Affiliate Marketing OnlineAffiliate Marketing Made Easy   March 24th, 2013 5:01 am ET

[...] you will get at it. After a while you may find better niche marketing strategies as you go. Niche marketing is an effective way in online affiliate marketing programs make your marketing campaigns more [...]

Bob Wiesel   April 18th, 2013 5:59 pm ET

You will have to come up with new types of techniques to be successful. There are some essential things that will be the same in everyone’s plan. Knowing your audience will make you successful through affiliate marketing. It is imperative that you target your readers’ needs. Take a look at why they visit your site. What is it they are there to see? When you find that you are generating notable income from your affiliate program...

View the newest write-up at our web page

World Of Warcraft Cheats For Level Ups Union | The World of Warcraft   November 5th, 2015 1:31 pm ET

[...] you help total it. As well as the Paladin is definitely the ultimate healer. Blessing Build 70-80 Demonology woods at after levels of the game. Quick or not, be sure to simply hinder your progress. In case you get it done [...]

Leave Your Comment