SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 19, 2010

Facebook 'likes' the whole Web

Posted: 12:29 PM ET
World Record holder
World Record holder

Facebook's "like" button is about to get more prevalent on the Web, according to news reports.

The Financial Times and The New York Times report that the social networking giant - with 400 million users worldwide - will push its "like" feature onto other Web sites, enabling users to share preferences for news stories, Web sites and products more easily.

Currently, Facebook users click the "like" button on Facebook.com to alert their online friends that they find a certain status update, photo or other Facebook item interesting. The reported change would put that functionality on many other Web sites, too, linking a person's preferences for all kinds of things into the Facebook social network.

That's similar to another branch-out feature called Facebook Connect, which lets people sign into other Web sites by using their Facebook name and password.

The announcement is expected to come at Facebook's annual developer conference, called f8, which will be held in San Francisco on Wednesday.

The Financial Times wrote that the "like" functionality would let Facebook "use data from these interactions to target them with related adverts once they return to Facebook.com." In a response sent to the newspaper, Facebook says it will make no changes to its ad policies at f8.

“All the products we are launching at f8 are focused on giving developers and entrepreneurs ways to make the Web more social,” the Facebook spokesperson told The Financial Times. “We have no announcements or changes planned to our ad offering and policies.”

Nytimes.com says Facebook's "like" feature will compete with a social media toolbar promoted by a group of Web companies, including Google and Meebo.

The move is part of an effort by Facebook to dominate the social Web by being everywhere - kind of like Starbucks - instead of just in one place, writes the tech blog Mashable, in a post titled "Facebook 'likes' world domination."

The discussion comes amid controversy about Facebook's proposed changes to its privacy settings. Sophos, a security company, says 95 percent of Facebook users are dissatisfied with the proposed changes, according to a 680-person survey of the company's online readers.

Sophos describes the proposed privacy-setting changes in this way:

… if you're logged into Facebook and then visit a third party website, that site will be able to access the following:
• your name
• your profile picture
• your gender
• your friends and connections
• your user ID
• any content shared using the "Everyone" privacy setting

Other observers expect Facebook to release details on a new feature called "place," which could let Facebook users tell their online friends where they are in addition to what they're doing. Such "location-based" features have been popularized by other sites, like Gowalla and Foursquare.

You can find all the details about Facebook's proposed changes here. Take a read and let us know what you think. Also, check back on this site and on our Twitter feed for updates from the f8 conference on Wednesday.

Posted by:
Filed under: Facebook

Fedos   April 19th, 2010 12:45 pm ET

Facebook's Like button needs a corresponding Dislike button.

KJ   April 19th, 2010 12:46 pm ET

Still waiting for the "dislike" button.

SoulardGuy   April 19th, 2010 12:58 pm ET

Thank you Facebook. It just became a whole lot easier to direct market to your members. I'm so glad I closed my Facebook account.

BH   April 19th, 2010 1:02 pm ET

They should actually call a "dislike" button the "hate" button as in "I hate this website or status update."

artichoke   April 19th, 2010 1:03 pm ET

I have the dislike button on my facebook it is so frekinn awsome

Brian   April 19th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

They kind of borrowed the idea from youtube's thumbs up/thumbs down concept. I don't think facebook should be getting credit for this.

A   April 19th, 2010 1:07 pm ET

still missing a dislike button xD

CarlosK   April 19th, 2010 1:08 pm ET

I'm pressing the "I dont' care" button on this article.

Terri   April 19th, 2010 1:11 pm ET

FB sucks.....

PhantomNine   April 19th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

I refuse to let other sites download my Facebook information. I've a friend who has one of their Photo links to store their pictures and I told my friend "I'd love to see your pictures, but I refuse to join that site and have it access my information.

brian   April 19th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

I second the vote for a "dislike" link... in fact CNN's comment section needs one too!

Aaron   April 19th, 2010 1:19 pm ET

It looks like the Facebook backlash has begun... just like what happened with MySpace a couple years ago.

Remember the days when you had profiles on AOL?

brock   April 19th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

well the original like/dislike on the web would be hot or not. Why is advertising bad? I mean all this "free" content on anywhere on the internet is funded by advertising. So it benefits everyone when ads are specifically targeted towards the audience. I mean it wouldn't do any good to advertise tampons during a hockey game (though there are 3 periods). Its the same for facebook. when I log in now i get all kinds of weird ads that mean nothing to me. but if big brother is able to see what kinds of sites i go to and then extrapolate that into what kinds of ads would best target me and my friends then those ads companies will be able to make money because my friends will be better informed of the products that will suit my tatses. is it a breach of privacy, sure, but then again i have a facebook page to begin with, so i've already made my privacy neglagible.

kyle wenzel   April 19th, 2010 1:26 pm ET

facebook is cool u idiots

kyle is cool   April 19th, 2010 1:28 pm ET

hi hi hi hi hi im ur mum

kyle is cool   April 19th, 2010 1:29 pm ET

peace im at school lol

kyle is cool   April 19th, 2010 1:30 pm ET

i sit by zakira shes purdy :p

kyle is cool   April 19th, 2010 1:31 pm ET

i sit by zakira she is hot!!!!!:p

Julia   April 19th, 2010 1:34 pm ET

Not being able to click a corny thumbs-up button for this article is an egregious missed opportunity. Sigh.

sreggats   April 19th, 2010 1:37 pm ET

When is the dislike button gonna show up???? or even a Jealous button??? Both would be a nice addition.

TS   April 19th, 2010 1:37 pm ET

Actually, they are taking from the concept of digg.com.

Britney   April 19th, 2010 1:44 pm ET

I don't get ppl who are like "I won't join facebook because privacy blah blah blah". First of all who cares? Second of all if you want to keep something private don't post it on facebook. If you have an a**hole friend doing it, block them. That is all.

BrickellPrincess   April 19th, 2010 1:47 pm ET

I have the "DissedLike" button on my FaceBook. Half dissed half disliked. You have to enable it yourself.

Ken   April 19th, 2010 1:55 pm ET

Hmmmm ... I think it would be better to simply change the word Facebook to "1984" on all the labelling. Much more appropriate.

Sarah   April 19th, 2010 2:10 pm ET

Facebook is actually a pretty boring site....who cares if someone I knew in high school likes something on the web?

RP   April 19th, 2010 2:26 pm ET

Ugh! Well, this explains why they went and hid the logout link in the Account menu. They want people to forget to log out so that when they visit other sites those sites are grabbing their info.

Now not only will I have to log out of Facebook the second I stop using it, I won't be able to open tabs to other sites while using it. At least not in the same browser. So much fail, Facebook. I hope someone comes up with a script to block it soon (much like what happened with Beacon).

Dan   April 19th, 2010 2:28 pm ET

Why so much hate towards advertising? Think how much smarter a consumer you'll become when every marketing effort thrown your way is relevant to your life. I argue that with all the irrelevant ads you are currently exposed to, you are more likely to be influenced by the occassional relevant product offering, despite the fact that you probably don't need it... or even want it!

I would LOVE for every piece of marketing I see to be relevant to my life.

Mary, Connecticut   April 19th, 2010 2:29 pm ET

So just log out of Facebook before you visit any other sites. Just one more reason not to be on Facebook!

Kayla Butler   April 19th, 2010 2:34 pm ET

I just got a palm pre from Verizon.....it downloaded all my contacts from Facebook there telephone number is in my log and there email address as well as there birthday....its a little creepy. If I hit a wrong button and call one of these ppl I haven't talked to in a while I'll be liable to look like a stalker..LOL

Lionel   April 19th, 2010 2:53 pm ET

People still use Facebook? Get a life!

The Truth   April 19th, 2010 3:02 pm ET

Facebook is a nice tool to keep in touch with friends and relatives that I don't see regularly. Subtle hint there, I don't use Facebook for those I talk to regularly. But seriously unless I ask I don't care what you are doing right now, or what you had for lunch, and most of all what you like on the web.

brad   April 19th, 2010 3:07 pm ET

this is sad. think for yourselves. sounds like a bunch of facebook sheep if you need to tell someone I like.

mfb   April 19th, 2010 3:12 pm ET

facebook is taken far too seriously...

DeTrane   April 19th, 2010 3:24 pm ET

facebook has it advantages and disadvantages basicially but the dislike button would be cool also lol

Ms. Unhappy   April 19th, 2010 3:29 pm ET

I don't like my privacy being taken away from me. I won't be using this option and if this unprotective type of upgrades continues, I'll be discontinuing fb. I want an option to stop ads and the other intrusive offerings. I don't want to be bothered with non-sense. I know how to search the internet. I don't need ads for every click I make.

dabomb   April 19th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

they should use a rating system like youtube does....oh wait thats right...youtube has a like AND dislike button now..

dabomb   April 19th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

brad...you are so above it all..

Iam Q Pid   April 19th, 2010 3:40 pm ET

Apparently the guys over at http://www.showloveonline.com got a little inspiration from facebook as well.

John   April 19th, 2010 3:52 pm ET

People saying Facebook needs a dislike button, I disagree it would be abuse and a perfect example is Digg.com.

Liz   April 19th, 2010 3:56 pm ET

I don't like the changes on FB that are coming. I will have to log OFF FB before I open a browser to go to any other site-NOT efficient. So, that means I'll only log onto FB once a day to play my games and then get off it. Probably a blessing in disguise...LOL...I spend too much time on FB anyway!

The Jason   April 19th, 2010 4:00 pm ET

You're all a bunch of babies! With all of your stupid "facebook sucks" posts. Why don't you take all the negative energy you just spent replying to this blog, and direct it to something more useful. I mean seriously, shouldn't you be stock-piling the bunker out in your backyard (under your shed) for when the apocalypse occurs.

I wish CNN had a "Dislike" on their comments page next to each one of your lame posts.

cf   April 19th, 2010 4:00 pm ET

Is there going to be a way to permanently block this feature and disallow facebook from knowing I'm "me" when I'm on other non-facebook sites? Maybe I don't want my private business and dirty laundry aired for facebook to do as they please with. When I'm not on the facebook.com/ domain, facebook should be switched off. Period.

Johan Sebastian Bach   April 19th, 2010 4:50 pm ET

Some have said that they stole it from Youtube..and all that jazz.......well there are a lot of ways sites incorporate a script that directs attention back at Facebook. Facebook is the most widely used Social Site..right now. I don't blame them for adding this.

I totally use Digg, and Stumbled upon for sites I like. I know my friends post a lot of links and sites...especially news articles, pics...etc. I do believe the like functionality would be an exquisite add on for the Facebook "Dynasty"...something I eagerly look forward to, and commend Facebook for introducing to us.

..I am still waiting for a Dislike Button.

pepo   April 19th, 2010 5:48 pm ET

http://www.sokelasrmagazine.com .. i like this site in pest site technology

I Hate Facebook   April 19th, 2010 8:18 pm ET

Facebook is lame!!! Anyone who uses it is lame!

Leon   April 19th, 2010 10:01 pm ET

Yeah, then Facebook better tear down it's walls. You wouldn't go to a party (the internet) and spend all night in the kitchen (facebook).
A lot of you young ones wont know what I'm on about with that statement.

Martin   April 20th, 2010 12:39 am ET

They should give us button like blow the web, delete the friend account etc so we can do some nasty things on facebook.

Smoch   April 20th, 2010 12:40 am ET

Somebody put my bad pics on facebook tell me what should i do?

telling   April 20th, 2010 1:18 am ET

it is kinda silly how every one is talkin about a stupid little like or dislike button and their privacy matters! if you think that facebook is the only way the government or "big brother" is watching yoy, then you are wrong. you might as well get rid of your computer, cell phone, house, credit cards, etc. just by you swyping your credit or bank card the gov. knows everything right away. so people get over it, there is no way to get away from it!

Sency   April 20th, 2010 3:10 am ET

Seems like Facebook is trying to steal some of Twitter's thunder from last week

lIllI   April 20th, 2010 6:26 am ET

***YAWN***
Facebook = FAIL

Pirre   April 20th, 2010 6:42 am ET

I did delete my fb account at one point. I was all like "F**c that, I shall not be like all the others and fall for this crap". But I soon found out that it's actually useful for something. Like advertising your own stuff if you're in a band. Have had so much help in spreading the name of my band and our record/cd. (And I actually met my girlfriend first time on fb). Hahah.

Pirre   April 20th, 2010 6:46 am ET

@ SMOCH: Tell them to delete them.

To Like or Dislike… | Jeremy Lankford's Blog   April 20th, 2010 9:07 am ET

[...] Links Facebook 'likes' the whole Web Facebook Seeps Onto Other Web Sites An unofficial way to 'dislike' things on [...]

ben   April 20th, 2010 9:58 am ET

you know something sucks when 400 million sheeple think it's cool.

Kevin   April 20th, 2010 11:07 am ET

I'm tired of super protective "smart" kids complaining about "personal information on websites". No website is going to promote/give away your information. These are just the kids who won't make a Facebook because they don't have any friends and don't want to sound like the lamest kid in school.

Sean   April 20th, 2010 11:39 am ET

Wait, Facebook has more things than Mafia Wars? Must be boring.

Around The Web: Reopening the Ash-Filled Skies | jiggymotto.com   April 20th, 2010 12:16 pm ET

[...] Facebook is pushing out its "like" function to other websites. [CNN] [...]

Renata   April 20th, 2010 4:36 pm ET

I deleted my facebook account last week due to privacy concerns. I was on it for two years and realize now how much time I was wasting on their site. Life is better now.

Michael Chupik   April 21st, 2010 12:32 am ET

Instead of having "likes" on all these thousands of websites, why not incorporate the button simply into a browser (i.e. Firefox, Safari, IE, etc.) where you are constantly logged into Facebook (and other sites like Gmail, Twitter, etc.)? Just a thought....

Marie   April 21st, 2010 1:09 am ET

Actually facebook DOES claim ownership to anything you post [pictures included] and this was in their terms until they took it out because people complained about it. So those who think it doesn't are unfortunately wrong.

I have a facebook account but only to get updates on a band, I rarely use it. I have one picture up but really facebook is very boring, anyone who thinks otherwise must not really think about fun very much. It's pretty much for people who are in high school or lower, people who like gossiping, or people who don't like making friends and want to just talk to their exclusive friends and family [although anyone can add you there now]. Facebook is already fading, just give it a little more time, it'll fade with time. When something new comes along, facebook will be old news, it happens with every site.

TAMMY!   April 21st, 2010 1:20 am ET

Face Book needs 3 bottons "Hate, Like, and Retarted"

Iam Q Pid   April 21st, 2010 12:24 pm ET

Facebook needs a link that directs people to show love real love. The kind that changes the world. http://www.showloveonline.com

Winston Smith   April 21st, 2010 1:13 pm ET

Help Me! I'm trapped in Facebook land. Big Brother has me in the Ministry of Love. Down with Facebook. Down with Facebook.

sofiya   April 22nd, 2010 9:22 am ET

@ kyle is cool,

How old are you?
This is a comment site about an article not a free post so be serious about it or dont write anything.

@ kyle wenzel

FB is not cool it is a site that gives your personal info away!!

Facebook taking over the world? « Williamsmedia's Blog   April 26th, 2010 8:55 pm ET

[...]  Sutter, J. D. “Facebook ‘likes’ the whole Web”.  (2010, April 19).  CNN SciTech Blog.  Accessed on April 26, 2010.  Retrieved from <http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/19/facebook-likes-the-whole-web/?iref=allsearch&gt; [...]

seo lace   May 2nd, 2010 1:25 am ET

I am having a helluav time seeing your pafe in Firefoox 5.9, I jusg figured I wouldf tell you aboput it.

Canada Goose Jackets   February 12th, 2011 2:47 am ET

Canada Goose Jackets reports often write wrong idiom is: beautiful ornate. Canada Goose jacket expo 2010 Canada Goose Parka successfully held in the park, Spyder Jackets exhibition 1000 appearance 100 Spyder Jacket,"beautiful ornate" became a media describing these the Spyder Ski Wear of commonly used words, but often wrong written "advaneed" or "beauty meihuan". Ecco Shoes UK describes the Ecco Shoes is beautiful, among them "wheel" tall ", meaning of "written" hebron "or" Aaron ", are Ecco Golf Shoes. Second, Blow up doll reports often write wrong names are: the love dolls. Shanghai world expo along the huangpu river layout, "the sex dolls river" therefore become a North Face Jackets reported the high frequency words, but because "huangpu" and "whampoa" sound isomorphic nearly, often wrong become "the huangpu river". "The Supra Shoes" generation and warring states spring shen jun huang2 xie relevant, friend name "yellow jehiel pu", abbreviation "huangpu", "pu" righteous as water shore or flow interchange. "Whampoa" is located in Supra Shoes UK, guangdong, for history and establish the Cheap Supra Shoes and famous. Three, GHD Australia quantities often confused words are: cut-off/ended. "By 5 p.m., into the park visitors number has more than 30 million." Among GHD Hair Straighteners, "should be" by the GHD Straighteners Australia. "Ended" means to stop, commonly used for some time later, such as "activity was announced yesterday by"; But for some time before of should be "up", such as "till yesterday, thousands of GHD Hair Straightener sign up".

novosti-stroi   November 13th, 2011 6:25 am ET

Дымоходы и бойлеры отличного качества и нагрева – тепло семейного очага, огульно для вашего уюта.

Ponfekeenue   November 14th, 2011 3:26 am ET

Заметки строителя… бездна информации по строительству и ремонту.

bigdildos   May 29th, 2012 11:59 am ET

Hi, just found your weblog thru the search engines, it seems to be fairly helpful. I am going to watch out for much more on this page in future.

Free FB Fans and Likes   September 9th, 2012 8:06 am ET

Wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a brand new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your submit that you simply made some days in the past? Any certain?

Margert Condren   May 12th, 2013 5:18 pm ET

Open golf tournaments, such as the U.S. Open, are held to try and give amateurs the chance to break into the field of professional golf. Golfers participate in a series of smaller tournaments to qualify for the Open where they proceed to the big tournament where they compete against professionals. The last amateur to win a U.S. Open was back in 1933.;.

View all of the most up to date posting at our new blog page

Where To Buy Gamma Blue 11s   November 28th, 2013 12:00 am ET

http://www.chamberelearning.com/cheaptimberlandonlineshop.html hkpqcenm http://www.chamberelearning.com/cheaptimberlandonlineshop.html kpoydnm [url=http://www.chamberelearning.com/cheaptimberlandonlineshop.html]http://www.chamberelearning.com/cheaptimberlandonlineshop.html[/url] gxxsoiv Cheap Timberland uk
Where To Buy Gamma Blue 11s http://www.cleanwatermn.org/gammablue11s.htm

watersoul77   January 4th, 2014 11:39 pm ET

This post(YES JUST THE POST, NOT A PAGE) has 450K Facebook likes on a website post...not Facebook. That is a world record! It is climbing by 1K every 5 minutes. It is as this article suggests, it is all about the picture. http://www.diply.com/different-solutions/cabbage-patch-kids-inspired-hat/21458

smoothie recipes vegetarian   January 7th, 2014 10:48 am ET

Whenever you find yourself with a banana that's getting a little too ripe, peel
it, and then slice it. ' Natural cleanser; blood, colon;
strengthens gall bladder and liver. They keep the immune system healthy and strong as they ward off infections and heal cuts and wounds.

Leave Your Comment