SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 20, 2010

3G iPad goes on sale April 30

Posted: 11:23 AM ET

The 3G version of the iPad, which connects to the Internet over AT&T's wireless network, will go on sale in the U.S. on April 30, Apple announced Tuesday.

The suggested retail price is $629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB and $829 for 64GB.

The Wi-Fi + 3G model is priced higher than the Wi-Fi-only model released in the U.S. on April 3 because its 3G capability will allow users to surf the Web without a Wi-Fi connection.

Customers who have not pre-ordered a 3G iPad will have to wait until 5 p.m. on April 30 to get their hands on the new model.

“Apple retail stores will offer a free Personal Setup service to every customer who buys an iPad at the store,” according to the company's press release.

All versions of the iPad will go on sale at the end of May in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK, Apple said.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Apple • iPad

OMG   April 21st, 2010 2:18 am ET

So I can look cool and browse the web & read email at the local coffee shop.......

Think about it.....kinda cool huh?

blursd   April 21st, 2010 3:31 am ET

I just think its funny the fact that people like the iPad makes so many furious. Think of it this way ... say someone went to Neimen Marcus or some other high end retail chain and bought a nice sweater. After putting it on and walking down the street someone stops just in front of him and says, "I hate that sweater! I would never buy a *blank* sweater because they're overpriced pieces of crap. I have sweaters I've bought from K-Mart, and I've even made my own sweaters and they're better than that one." All the time the person in the sweater just has this blind look on their face for being forced to hear some myopic sweater hater's diatribe.

The other scenario is another person who bought the same sweater and Neimen Marcus goes to the middle of a crowded area, and starts saying "Look at my sweater! Its a *blank*! I'm so hip and cool." Everyone just kind of looks on and doesn't give him the attention he's craving.

The analogy pretty much covers both spectrums of the Apple v PC/Microsoft debate. Either way you're just an idiot ... the only difference is what side of the equation you're on.

Apple didn't invent the tablet, but they've done something no other company that has tried to make one has acheived ... success. Microsoft has had almost an entire decade to perfect their tablet program, but no matter what they've done they haven't been able to make a product that appealed to a mass audience, or performed very well. Apple, on the other hand, on the rumor they would be making a tablet device caused dozens of computer manufacturers to start tablet programs of their own, and basically have used Apple as a basis for defining their own products. That should tell you something. Apple might not be perfect but they certainly are doing something right.

As for the iPad itself ... it fills a specific niche ... it you don't fall within that niche's needs. It was never meant to replace a full feature laptop when you need a full feature device. It was also designed to do more than an iPod, so you don't need it if you need an iPod.

I find it a little aggrevating when all these people assume because they iPad doesn't fall in line with what THEY want or need (or they simply hate anything that comes out of Cupertino) they seem to think the same must be true for everyone. Some people like Apple and their products ... let them be. If you're happy with your Windows or Linux machines ... good for you.

Ben   April 21st, 2010 4:49 am ET

Cool, 800ish bucks for something that can't display flash.

GG.

Bill Gates   April 21st, 2010 4:53 am ET

I just bought mine. It's Awe-Some!

SlowerLowerDE   April 21st, 2010 5:06 am ET

I wish they would have a slide out keyboard to type like many phones do now. Then it would be the all time best gadget!!! Touch screen is fun when you are staring at the keys but an actual keyboard would allow people to look at other things while typing, and type faster (for most)

cloudniner   April 21st, 2010 8:19 am ET

to hahaha

It is good that you don't buy an Apple product. We sure don't need the likes of you in the Apple community. Go buy a Microslop phone or whatever.

MZ   April 21st, 2010 8:46 am ET

Cupertino and the entire Bay Area is GOD's COUNTRY! Apple orchards in California! Eat your hearts out!

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 9:01 am ET

"i dont need it, im gonna buy it cause i can"

that makes a ton of sense. i can buy it too. i can buy a few due to the fact i have a great job. now i feel better that i let the cnn community know this.

no wonder they keep repackeging the same thing, with that thought process apple can go ahead and print their own money at this point.

why do people continue to compare criticising apple or cnns covereage of apple to that of hating someone with a certain type or style of car? cant take criticism or others opinions, so the luxery car argument is brought out, cause theres a lot in common with a 70k beamer and a piece of technology less then 1k. think, then type.

MZ   April 21st, 2010 9:07 am ET

Jimmy,
Increase your medication and get some rest. perhaps revisit 5th grade and learn some decent grammar. it's early, go back to bed and get some rest. Your paper route will be waiting for you when you awake and have some milk and cookies.

it's ok....you will be ok. Really.

And most importantly, you are just wasting your breath and that is no greatloss either.

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 9:11 am ET

keep bringing on the personal attacks, thats tough to do over the net.

il keep stating opinions while yall tell me how i cannot afford luxery cars and have no vocabulary.

i dont need to worry about grammer as long as my syntax is tight-

mz- re-read your last post, does that make you feel tough for the day?

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 9:12 am ET

"Your paper route will be waiting for you when you awake and have some milk and cookies."

who says that?

MZ   April 21st, 2010 9:15 am ET

Jimmy,
You are really starting to bore me and probably others. Go away and play your games on your PC. You are the poster child for the dumbing down of our society. A true simpleton. I'm done with the likes of you. Move on.

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 9:19 am ET

more internet muscle heh...you must feel huge now-

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 9:20 am ET

carry-on would be a bit more appropriate then move on wouldnt it?

sir?

blazer72450   April 21st, 2010 10:27 am ET

What a hoot. People spend hundreds on this crap to use as a toy. They are made for business purposes mainly but it is a keeping up with the Jones on who can afford the best toy. Its no wonder kids have no brains and are selfish unappreciative stay in the house and play computer game addicts....lol.

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 10:34 am ET

blazer-

get ready to be bombarded from coffee shops and basements around the country-

blazer72450   April 21st, 2010 11:08 am ET

Are you sure they would have the time to break away from their new game download or music download to send a post in defense of the truth? Its just the way its always been I think. Which kid has the best bicycle? Problem is that parents and people have moved past a toy and buying dual sided expensive business tool that can be used as toys. Next problem is that not only the kids use it as a toy but adults use them in the same manner at work. The computer, MP3 electronic game idustry combination equipment is an extension of craziness that is never ending. Yes I am just as guilty and weak as the rest of the world. I have expensive electronic toys too....lol.

Joe   April 21st, 2010 11:09 am ET

I ordered mine on the 30th of March I can't wait to get my 3g 32gb!! =)

Pb   April 21st, 2010 11:29 am ET

You know, I've been using my iPad for 2 weeks now and it's pure joy. Nothing in these Apple-hate posts can ruin that for me. It's interesting that these flame wars that used to be about what a silly, childish toy a Mac was back in the days of the C prompt have evolved into accusations that Apple is a bunch of "nefarious conspirators" now that the PC crowd has flocked to the silly, childish graphic user interface (Windows) in droves. What's up with that?

Go ahead, try to convince Apple users that they shouldn't love their stuff. That'll work. Or maybe just go get a life...

Teckie   April 21st, 2010 11:52 am ET

A 3g version with no flash support! The wifi version with no flash support was bad enough, but a 3g version without it too? Spending this much money and not getting flash support to visit many sites and view video is just ridiculous!

no1der   April 21st, 2010 12:48 pm ET

The genius of the iPad is that all the other manufacturers are now expected to produce a 'full-featured' tablet device that must run a huge OS, support Flash, be expandable, have a bunch of ports, a camera and who knows what else. Basically, a fast, powerful laptop-replacement for cheap. And while we're at it, let's match the iPad's 10hr battery life.

Dream on... nobody, least of all Apple, is going to wreck their profitable laptop market with a thing like that even if they could build one. Instead, we're going to see a lot of slow, power-hungry, forgettable Windows or Linux-based tablet devices that won't do anything compellingly well.

The basic problem with a tablet or netbook or whatever has always been, how to make money on them without undercutting your own laptop profit center. Apple's shown the way, and others are dared to follow.

Gus   April 21st, 2010 1:04 pm ET

Jimmy-

What are you getting so mad at tough guy??

How much do you bench??

partgeekpartart   April 21st, 2010 1:17 pm ET

keep the noise down will ya? im trying to sleep until July when the 'We Pad' comes out. two usb ports, camera for video chatting etc.
German. When Jobs gives what we want ( we all know he can) instead of stringing out needed options I'll send my money to the shiney red fruit. until then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

jimmy   April 21st, 2010 2:56 pm ET

how much do i bench? 3 iphones, 2 ipads and a pink laptop.

and its crazy...all three of these devices are magical and wonderful to use. they look real cool...and when someone sends me an email, talks about me on fb, or even thinks about me...all my devices will light up like boys town in spring.

Megan Fox   April 21st, 2010 4:31 pm ET

Heyyyyy everyone to my great fans the ipad isnt that bad if you wait just a little bit more im sure that the prices will go down ( love you all )😀

Greg   April 23rd, 2010 5:01 pm ET

I am a mature adult and will not spend time with Apple vs Microsoft politics.

That being said, I love the iPad. Its one of those gadgets that you aren't 100% sure of how you will use it. You have ideas but thats all. Now owning one I use it a lot of different ways for various things. It really does fill that gap between an iPhone & Mac laptop. Sort of like how a bass guitar fills the void between a guitar and the drums!

They are a cutting edge company, that is all. No reason for negativity. "we hate what we don't understand." ...and I don't understand the sport cricket! [random-off topic-dry-humor-not-even-funny-really]

latina females   October 20th, 2010 6:03 pm ET

I definitely want to read a bit more on that site soon. BTW, pretty nice design you have at this site, but how about changing it every few months?

facebook like   April 5th, 2012 1:34 am ET

Fantastic points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your publish that you made a few days ago? Any sure?

apple ipad 2 wi-fi tablet   April 9th, 2012 4:14 pm ET

I just like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly. I'm relatively certain I will learn many new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the following!

Ahmed   May 19th, 2012 12:22 am ET

opa fani ego pantos mporo na akoyo muskioi kai na eimai sto net apo to kinito ton spileon opos les (nokia) esi den mporis!!! ego mporo na trabao video esi thes efarmogi giana to kaneis kai alla pola !!!!! kai ean exeis to iphone tis protis genias anafora staminimata exeis ?????? malon oxi . oso gia to ipad exei akoma ama na bgaloun kamia nea ekdosi giana mporis na kaneis 2 pragmata mazi kai meta blepoume . mporei kai an toys katsi na balloune kai ellinika h kamia kamera kai na min kremaei to wifi ante aniperke blaxako xaxaxaxaxaxa

Cisco Switches   August 28th, 2012 1:21 am ET

You recognize thus considerably relating to this topic, produced me in my opinion imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women don't seem to be fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

Leave Your Comment