SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 21, 2010

What will Facebook announce today?

Posted: 10:48 AM ET
World Record holder
World Record holder will be reporting today from Facebook's annual f8 conference in San Francisco, California, where the social network is expected to announce changes to its site.

The changes may integrate Facebook further into the Web at large, and make mobile phone applications for Facebook more useful.

Here's what bloggers and tech writers are looking for:

Universal "like" button: Facebook's "like" feature lets users show their interest in Facebook photos and status updates. The site may push that feature all over the Web, helping it aggregate data about its users' preferences outside Facebook.

"Place" feature: Right now, you can tell Facebook friends what you're doing, but there's no easy way to tell them where you are, based on our phone's GPS location. That may change if Facebook adds a "place" feature. It might look like Foursquare, the app that lets users "check in" to bars, restaurants and the like, alerting friends to their whereabouts.

Competition with Google, others: On Monday, Facebook announced a new feature called "Community Pages," which, as CNET writes, is part Google and part Wikipedia. These pages let Facebookers congregate around certain interests, like cooking, for example, instead of only around brands and products, as is currently possible. The Community Pages are editable, kind of like Wikipedia, and they could become hubs for topic-specific info, kind of like Google.

I'll be at the Facebook event today, which begins at 10 a.m. PT. Check our Twitter feed, @cnntech, for the latest, and watch for all of the details.

Posted by:
Filed under: Facebook

Dennis   April 21st, 2010 12:55 pm ET

It's only invasive if you let it be. Either put your information on there or don't, it's up to you. No one is forcing you to do or reveal anything.

Jamie   April 21st, 2010 12:55 pm ET

SETTINGS, people. I've been on facebook for five years and I've gotten ONE spam friend requests and NO random chat requests or anything. That's because I accessed the settings and made them as private as possible. I've got 500 some friends–all people I know–and it's a fun way to keep in touch with old friends and various relatives.

That said, these new features are kind of wearing me out. Just stop trying to change already, facebook. Leave it as it is.

Oh, and @Mike Cahill: I assume you're being sarcastic. Hilarious. :)

Jackie   April 21st, 2010 12:56 pm ET

I may delete my account soon. Privacy for me is a big issue.

bob   April 21st, 2010 12:57 pm ET

you forgot one: facebook is selling your private personal data to third parties and so you will see your private profile info appearing on other sites. Yep, its all there in the new user agreement. No opt-out is available.

T   April 21st, 2010 12:58 pm ET

I don't mind helps when you now how to use it! I don't get many request at all from people I don't know, and if I get a request from someone I dislike I have no problem saying If your settings are set-up in way you prefer most of the problems I am reading can be avoided fairly easy.

justaname   April 21st, 2010 1:00 pm ET

I use facebook for the games only, I change my preferences not to follow me or allow things I don't want on it. I also don't use my real name and hae set up email just for facebook only where I don't get other email etc. when they asked for my email address password, I gave it then went to email and changed it again. I just don't allow the internet to be invasive, there are ways I can control it so I do. And no I didn't use my real name or email here either, you could say this site is invasive too!

FRANNI   April 21st, 2010 1:00 pm ET

DISLIKE button

Kate   April 21st, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Kim (above) in regards to be invisible. Click on the chat button, there is an option button, click on that, and then there is a button to push to go offline. You don't go offline, but you appear to NOT be onine. And to reappear? Just click on chat again. it keeps your setting too!

Roberto Gallstone   April 21st, 2010 1:02 pm ET

I would imagine that any of these features you don't like will give you the option of turning them on or off. It shouldn't be too much invasion of privacy if you can just say no to GPS tracking or whatever else you don't like.

Larry   April 21st, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Face book denied me access to an account last week because they said my name was made up. I was supposed to send them a photo id so they could see who I was. Then I found out that they gave Ben Lawden (misspelled on purpose, a known terriorist a page and were debating whether or not to remove it. Larry is fake but Bennie Baby is on a terriorist. Thank you for protecting the public

fart   April 21st, 2010 1:02 pm ET

Ha Ha

Pedro   April 21st, 2010 1:04 pm ET

Hola Amigos, Facebook mi mejor amigo!!!

Diane   April 21st, 2010 1:04 pm ET

No one under the age of 18 should be on facebook period. They don't have to charge someone to be on it but find a way to keep minors off of it for their own safety and others. There are some adults who have no business being on it either until they have been educated about the dangers of social networking.

Brent Falls   April 21st, 2010 1:04 pm ET

everyone add me on facebook Brent Falls

cj   April 21st, 2010 1:05 pm ET

What will they announce today?

They add a 250X200 pixel graphic change. Then they will announce they have changed the FaceBook layout. For which everyone knows the layout is crap. Even after the 250X200 pixel graphic change it's much to do about nothing.

Andrew   April 21st, 2010 1:07 pm ET

While I understand Facebook's desire to remain "relevant" to its users, it is evident that it has been doing so without much thought put into creating an easier and more secure experience for its users.

Much like Google's premature launch of "Buzz", which has been getting all sorts of unwanted attention for poor privacy controls, Facebook has made its privacy settings obscure, difficult for most users to figure out, and worse...does a poor job of clearly educating customers about just how much of their personal information becomes available to the public via third party apps, etc.

New features are nice...however, if you're designing them to attract new users, beware that you risk alienating your existing user base in the process.

ticoric   April 21st, 2010 1:08 pm ET

There is more drama on this comment page than on facebook. Idiots.

pheeling phine   April 21st, 2010 1:11 pm ET

I do not like the fact that everyone can see my friends list. I am not okay with that.

Jared   April 21st, 2010 1:11 pm ET

I started using Facebook while in College in it's early years. This is when it was only available to College students. It was great at the time as it allowed me to keep in touch with High School friends, post a quick note to a friend in College, and even setup study groups through Facebook. It was out of the Myspace public realm and I still had a sense of privacy.

Now with everyone able to use Facebook and the Facebook pressure to accept friend request from every person you've ever said hello to it has become more of a liability, especially now that I'm a working professional. The privacy features still need work, for now I shut down half of my Facebook page keeping only my info up. It is too dangerous to do so otherwise, especially with the people you have on your friends who have not yet grown up and still post compromising pictures and dumb wall posts on your page.

Fred   April 21st, 2010 1:11 pm ET

Great. Another feature to post to for nobody to read. Whatever sells advertising, I suppose. Yawn.

had to laugh   April 21st, 2010 1:12 pm ET

I had to laugh at all of these comments as I quickly skimmed through them. It is truly amazing what people find to whine about.

Some whine about long lost people finding them that they don't want to be found by. It's a social networking site. Duh. That's what its for. Here's your sign.

Some whine about getting notified about all sorts of game related crap. There is a "Hide Application" button. Duh. Use it. Here's your sign.

Some whine about there being too much private information on the site accessable to all. Duh. Why did you put it up there then? Here's your sign.

Some whine about peoples lack of grammer, punctuation, spelling, etc. While I agree with you in principle (I absolutely hate Instant messaging "textspeak" as I call it – shorthand typing) getting all in a lather about it is silly. Duh. There is a "hide" button. Use it on the worst offenders and will be right in your grammatically correct world again. Here's your sign too.

Sure I hate some stuff about Facebook. Some parts I am indifferent to and others I like a lot. I used to whine a lot too until I got tired of giving myself "I am an idiot" signs and started tailoring my Facebook settings to what I wanted, not what Facebook wanted. I have yet to get a virus, unwanted contacts, blah blah blah... I therefore have plenty of signs left for anyone who would rather complain because it is easier than tweaking facebook settings or contacting facebook with suggested improvements.

Just Wondering   April 21st, 2010 1:13 pm ET

Eric   April 21st, 2010 1:13 pm ET

Kim you can hide yourself from chat. Research it!

Again people need to take the time and set their preferences.

cb   April 21st, 2010 1:17 pm ET

Really!!!??? Just use it for what it is intened and you will be fine. I don't play any of the games or enter any of the contests that you would have to put too much info out there. I just connect with friends and family. I also use it to keep in touch with my college kid. I guess alittle common sense goes a long ways on this one.

JP   April 21st, 2010 1:17 pm ET

OMG, if you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. Simple right??? Geez go complain about something worth complaining about, the economy, the war, the jobless rate, the homeless, the weather. Don't waste your time on something you can simply choose to avoid. WOW, people need hobbies or something if all they have to do in a day is go online and complain about something they don't even like.

"Don't like" should equal not using. If FB is too invasive, stop giving it information. Log off, delete your profile. GO AWAY

Alex   April 21st, 2010 1:18 pm ET

all you people do is complain, complain and complain. yet i bet all you and your children, brothers, sister has facebook...

Mary   April 21st, 2010 1:20 pm ET

Facebook is just a any other tool. It's up to you how you use it. That's why you have preferences and privacy settings. No one is forcing you to open your profile to everyone in the world and tell them where you are located.
Depending on your needs, personality, etc. you allow games, people or other applications to appear in your FB page.
It seems to me that if I'm given a knive...I will use it to cut stuff... not to stab people, or if I'm given a match, I would most certainly light my candles and not burn houses. In other words.....The tool is up to you how you use it.

ar   April 21st, 2010 1:21 pm ET

Great – tell everyone where you are so that your stalker can stalk you even more and the person that has been eyeing your house can rob you.

While we're at it, let's continue to make FB easier so that people can continue to use it while driving; just like the kid who killed my friend's father was doing. Updating his FB status while driving while simultaneously hitting my friend's father who was minding his own business on the side of the road.

FB is a narcissistic means of communication. Like we care that you just had a grilled cheese sandwhich for lunch or that your kid just went potty for the first time. And you need to know that posting 600 pictures of your kid is a bit much – they're not as cute as you think they are. this what our society has become?

FB is not a means of "catching up with friends." Let's be honest, it's about finding out who wound up rich, poor, fat, skinny, bald, etc. – after High School.

ab   April 21st, 2010 1:22 pm ET

I'd like a "Who Cares!" button for people's silly updates.

Rafael   April 21st, 2010 1:22 pm ET

I say, if you do not like the changes with Facebook, then don't use it. It's a free service! If they charged, then I'd understand all the comotion. But come on people. It's free. So move on if u don't like it.

josh   April 21st, 2010 1:28 pm ET

hey there john, did you want facebook to say they're closing or there closing?

wheres the dislike button anyways?

scott   April 21st, 2010 1:29 pm ET

Besides the security implications of facebook collecting and selling where you've been, why would you want to broadcast where you are physically. That would be a good source for finding out who is not home. I think I will always tell all my "friends" that I'm home cleaning my guns no matter where I am or what I'm doing.

Coco2u   April 21st, 2010 1:29 pm ET

Ok, I admit it, A lot of my facebook "friends" are not really my friends. Oh sure I went to school with them, worked with them, or mabey I served in the military with them, but their information was private and becoming their friend was the only way to get that info. LOL. I was just nosy.

MrsFizzy   April 21st, 2010 1:32 pm ET

@ junior: You know keeping it too yourself is not exactly what facebook is about... :-D

Watch out, JustWondering, you can find yourself blocked for good from CNN comments and you won't even know why!!

wfd   April 21st, 2010 1:33 pm ET

The same people complaining on here or the same ones that jump on and update their status with some narcissistic message hoping for replies. Our society is made up of sad cynics.

jw   April 21st, 2010 1:33 pm ET

DISLIKE button

Jan Claire   April 21st, 2010 1:34 pm ET

Heck! I was hoping they were going to announce they'd found a solution to non-related people hacking their way into people's facebook pages!
That's what we REALLY want. If we had some comfort that only our FRIENDS could get on our pages, that would be cool!

Jan Claire   April 21st, 2010 1:35 pm ET

I've reported a spammer 73 times now, and he's still sending me messages on Facebook.

Tony   April 21st, 2010 1:38 pm ET

Every time Facebook changes their site, they make things worse. I still want to go back to the old design.

KeyLimePie   April 21st, 2010 1:43 pm ET

A "Dislike" button is too negative. Just write "dislike" in the comment field; it's funnier anyway.

And quit complaining. Facebook is free. Learn how to use it and filter what you don't want to see or be seen. Often the people who harp about privacy are really people who don't want it known they have few friends.

Peter   April 21st, 2010 1:44 pm ET

Check out

Facebook puts way too much responsibility in the hands of children who are not ready to face it. Its not about parents allowing their children acces or not, computers are available in most libraries and Facebook has no parental controls in place to restrict children registering and creating a profile. We have laws which prevent kids from buying tobacco, alcohol and other things. We need controls around facebook. Its responsible as a medium which has enabled mass orchestrated bullying events, character assassination and ultimately suicides. Wake up people.

Loren   April 21st, 2010 1:47 pm ET

I've been on facebook since 2004 and have been through all the changes, but now my grandma is on there and that's pretty sweet, because now she feels more connected to my life and I don't feel so bad about being too busy to write and call frequently.

judyb   April 21st, 2010 1:57 pm ET

FB searches your address book for friend suggestions based on the email address you provide to facebook. For example, if your primary email account is with Comcast and that account's address book contains all your contacts, then friend suggestions will be made for everyone in your address book. If you don't want all the people in your address book (relatives, associates & the like) to find you then list a yahoo or gmail email address on FB that does not have all your contacts in the address book. I have a yahoo email address just for facebook and I have no email addresses in the address book. Once I made this change I stopped getting friend suggestions I did not want.

SteveWy   April 21st, 2010 1:58 pm ET

Wow, why is everyone so gloomy today? Facebook v29.0? If you had a real life you wouldn't be complaining about it. Now someone is going to hit me back and tell me to shut it or something.I read these comments and the general consensus is everyone, at least most everyone likes to comment negatively. I don't really care about Facebook and I hate the dumb games everyone plays, It's a pretty good tool for catching up on what my friends and family are up to. Even if it is a rope and a lead pipe in mafia wars. God save Andy Rooney is all I can say. If he would leave a comment here, that would be something to read.

redhead   April 21st, 2010 2:03 pm ET

Invasive? Uh, YEAH!

I posted pictures of a whitewater rafting trip and within one week all of the ads along the side were rafting related. I joined no clubs, fanned nothing in regards to rafting.

Big brother is most definitely watching...that said....I'm not signing off! I just don't put anything out there I wouldn't want all to see anyway!

MrsFizzy   April 21st, 2010 2:09 pm ET

@redhead: I find that pretty creepy too. But I don't even use fb all that often and that kind of thing you described (ads related to something you've posted or searches you've done) happens to me online all the time. You're not going to get rid of Big Brother that easily!

Marie MD   April 21st, 2010 2:12 pm ET

My family refuses to go into Facebok

Dave   April 21st, 2010 2:12 pm ET

Why is so many people still whining about a stupid 'dislike' button.

A 'dislike' button is completely useless. Why do you need one? There's absolutely no reason to add one. If you don't like something, just move on to the next update and get over it.

tyna   April 21st, 2010 2:13 pm ET

For every friend request, you get one you don't want Then simply don't friend them. And you CAN adjust your privacy settings. My account is so private you can't see anything about me unless I friend you, and I'm not friending you unless I actually consider you a friend in REAL LIFE. It's that easy, folks.

Clutch Dingo   April 21st, 2010 2:17 pm ET

What completely escaped from every news story and even from most announcements on facebook is the ability for pages to adopt user names now. I think the only requirement is you need to have more than 25 fans. Well... it was 25 fans, now I guess you just need 25 people to like it. I just snagged /MotorcycleNetwork for my fan site for

It seems silly for facebook to remove fans on their pages. We used to use the fan site to make updates and announcements and get more community involvement. I'm wondering if people will remain as active if they're no longer fans and instead just people who like the site.

Rob in Ohio   April 21st, 2010 2:21 pm ET

Always amusing to read comments about Facebook...ANY comments. I signed up in January....I was told I'd pretty much have to sign up there if I wanted to see photos or get updated about what's going on with certain family members. Yeah, I caught up with a few friends from high school – that was a plus, at first. But then I never really heard much from my family, and there wasn't much action on my wall from the old high school I figured it was cool to say "Hi, thought about you over the years", but that may have been all the more there was to say. The FB novelty died off and I discovered that some things were better left in the past.

I think it's sad that people have to resort to using a website just to stay in touch with family and friends. After not getting much interaction from the people on my friends list, I decided I just didn't "get it" know, the whole FB thing. So I deactivated my account a few weeks ago...waited the 14 days for my account to be permanently deleted...and you know what? Life goes on. I think it's sad that people have to resort to using a website just to stay in touch with family and friends. If you can take the time to surf Facebook and post comments on everyone's walls, then you can take the time to send me an email with some photos attached, or even send a card via snail mail. If you don't have the time to do that, or just don't feel like it, well guess what? I don't feel like taking the time to publicly expose my personal info on a website to make it easier for you. Facebook is a huge toy for many of the people I've seen on there.....they just want to play games and post cutesy messages on each other's walls. Sorry, but I have my substantial things I'd like to do with my time.

Robert   April 21st, 2010 2:22 pm ET

agreed. one time i google searched some info on muscle milk and all of a sudden all my ads in facebook pertained to fitness.

to all you people who think you private information is safe just b/c Facebook give you the option to click on a button are kidding yourselves. to all of you who say you have nothing to hide?....well, you just lead boring drama-free lives.

Cindy   April 21st, 2010 2:35 pm ET

FB needs to stop making so many changes. They also need to make it user friendly. We should be able to search for friends in certain areas, not the whole world.

To the person who hates seeing the games and stuff people play and post, on that post, go to the right side and hit HIDE and then HIDE "GAME NAME" and you won't see them anymore.

megan   April 21st, 2010 3:00 pm ET

Facebook is awesome! I visit facebook everyday. I dont think it is way to invasive. Maybe it might come abit invasive. But right now it is fine. As long as you know how to act on facebook and use it the right way it should be fine.

AlyKat   April 21st, 2010 3:15 pm ET

RACHEL: How do you remove/opt out yourself from Google searches?

I am personally against the GPS "Place" option, that is I hope it will be an option anyway. I travel for work, I'd rather people not know where I am 24/7. Facebook will most likely have an option to not show the "Place", at least one can only hope. I want to be found for family & real life friends, so hiding completely is not really an option.

I guess the jist of it is, if you don't like Facebook, then leave. I may do that if I feel my privacy is in any way, shape or form compromised.

Robert   April 21st, 2010 3:46 pm ET

From another news site:

"Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says the new tools will allow users to see personalized versions of other websites they visit. It'll be based on the things they have shared on their Facebook profiles, such as their friends, bands they like or news stories they have liked."

Gee...I wonder how they are going to accomplish that without sharing information you've submitted into facebook to other websites or vice versa. Ths must be the successor to their Facebook Beacon. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Facebook is after all free to do wha they want with their property. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to delete all my photos from facebook before they consider it their property...

Eric Green   April 21st, 2010 4:14 pm ET

Am I the only person that puts false information into the internet? Or leave some stuff out?

Zachary Christel   April 21st, 2010 4:44 pm ET

Sency   April 22nd, 2010 2:17 am ET

Facebook's new like technology is surely to be scene across the web – everywhere

Helena   April 22nd, 2010 6:19 am ET

I think geolocation sharing needs to be treated like a KING.. as in it has to know the difference between its PUBLIC face and a PRIVATE face... because when the spectacle of billboarding your location is over, really it comes down to SAFETY right?

I mean, FANS are cool but STALKERS are not... SO... the best case scenario
YOu use FB and it's apps to showcase your best most interesting moments and visits (without being TOO specific about addresses)

You use EchoEcho (the only permission based location app) to share exact time and place with your family, the guy you're supposed to meet for a drink because your mom said he was new to town and is a friend of her cousin and he MIGHT be cute etc..

To think that there is one mentality for location sharing is ignorant. FB is for gleeful careless and FUN postings but when you want to talk about REAL friends and family, you have to go to something like Echoecho.

Dan   April 22nd, 2010 11:23 am ET

Amen to SS's comments. I don't give a flying f- about those stupid games and it's like trying to kill a swarm of gnats with a flyswatter using the Ignore feature. For every one I kill, there are 3 more.

R Warren   April 22nd, 2010 4:02 pm ET

Who wants to use Facebook as it is owned by the Russians and Linkedin is owned by Chinese! It is all a matter of collecting information on us, where we are, what we are doing and who we know.

Bimr kid   April 23rd, 2010 10:12 am ET

Hello, Everyone needs to get up with the times. If you dont like the new changes then.... dont use facebook. Facebook is an awesome tool within society today. I am a highschool student and all my friends facebook all day ( When we have service ) There are many things to see and do on Facebook.... How can you not like it ?

Mary   April 23rd, 2010 11:32 am ET

I hope Facebook doesn't go away. It is unfortunate that it seems to be drifting away from its intended purpose. I moved away from my friends and family in another state and we love to use it to stay in touch, view pictures, etc. I hope it doesn't become just another trend that dies, I'd hate to see it go because it is easy to use and really works for what we use it for. Sometimes our lives are busy and it is easy to get on FB and quick see what is happening in everyone's life that week, I may catch up with them better through calls or emails when I am less busy the next week. Aren't there other people out there that just use it as another tool to stay in touch? Why does there have to be all the 'fluff'?

Warren Woodell   January 29th, 2012 7:36 am ET

I really like and appreciate your blog. Cool.

facebook fans   March 31st, 2012 4:50 pm ET

It's really a great and helpful piece of info. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

plus de facebook fan   April 1st, 2012 6:28 pm ET

Wonderful items from you, man. I have take into accout your stuff prior to and you're simply too fantastic. I really like what you've received here, really like what you're stating and the way in which by which you are saying it. You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a terrific site.

houdini help desk   April 2nd, 2012 11:58 am ET

Hello There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a very well written article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful info. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

xerox documate 510   April 2nd, 2012 1:00 pm ET

Thank you, I have just been searching for info about this topic for a while and yours is the best I've came upon so far. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you certain concerning the supply?|What i do not understood is if truth be told how you're not really a lot more neatly-liked than you might be now. You're so intelligent.

plus de facebook likes   April 3rd, 2012 1:43 pm ET

Thanks , I've just been searching for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the best I've discovered till now. However, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?|What i don't understood is in fact how you're no longer actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

Free Download   April 21st, 2012 3:20 pm ET

I'll immediately grab your rss as I can not find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

helpdesk   June 28th, 2012 1:40 am ET

Thank you, I've just been looking for information about this topic for a while and yours is the best I have came upon till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the supply?|What i do not understood is in truth how you're now not really much more neatly-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent.

car title loans oak island beach   August 1st, 2012 3:31 am ET

Wonderful site. Lots of helpful information here. I am sending it to several pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks for your effort!

cheap proxies   September 23rd, 2012 8:55 am ET

Thanks , I've just been searching for info about this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I have came upon so far. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?|What i don't realize is in fact how you are not actually much more well-favored than you may be now. You're so intelligent.

zaborilenta   September 21st, 2014 6:25 am ET

It?Žs actually a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

Leave Your Comment