SciTechBlog   « Back to Blog Main
April 30, 2010

Adobe responds to Apple's Flash snub

Posted: 12:12 PM ET

It was already at reality-show proportions. But the tech feud between Apple and Adobe continues to escalate as Adobe responded Thursday to Apple CEO Steve Jobs' sharp criticism of its Flash player format.

The gist from Adobe: So what? We have other friends to play with.

"... Given the legal terms Apple has imposed on developers, we have already decided to shift our focus away from Apple devices for both Flash Player and AIR. We are working to bring Flash Player and AIR to all the other major participants in the mobile ecosystem, including Google, RIM, Palm (soon to be HP), Microsoft, Nokia and others," Adobe's chief technology officer, Kevin Lynch, posted in a blog on Thursday evening.

Lynch said that he still holds out hope Apple and Adobe can work together on the mobile Web.

"We could provide a terrific experience with Flash on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch," he wrote.

This comes after Jobs posted a missive about flaws with Adobe's Flash. He said the format leads to crashes, hinders app development and doesn't work well with touch-screen devices. That's why Apple does not support Flash video or games on the iPad, iPhone or iPod, he wrote.

Adobe says it has other plans for Flash.

"We look forward to delivering Flash Player 10.1 for Android smartphones as a public preview at Google I/O in May, and then a general release in June. From that point on, an ever increasing number and variety of powerful, Flash-enabled devices will be arriving which we hope will provide a great landscape of choice," Lynch wrote.

Now that both companies have weighed in - all blog style - who do you side with?

Read the source material for yourself (Apple | Adobe) and let us know in the comments. Several of you posted yesterday that you thought Steve Jobs was right to snub Flash.

Posted by:
Filed under: Adobe • Apple

Gary   May 2nd, 2010 10:40 pm ET

Apple and Jobs are pin-headed jerks. When are you no-life App-holes going to realize you're on a sinking ship? Anyone who defines their own personality by a company they do business with is a loser.

David Reynolds   May 2nd, 2010 10:44 pm ET

Some smart phone users will stay with their iPhones until their contracts expire. Others, especially those hooked on Flash games, will opt for the next generation phones from other providers.
Personally, I don't care. I have yet to experience a situation where I have to use my iPhone while accessing a Flash site. When that happens, I wait and use my desktop or laptop. End of problem.

Chris   May 2nd, 2010 10:46 pm ET

Why does Apple always have to be the odd man out?

Syphon Filter   May 2nd, 2010 10:54 pm ET

Apple has every right to turn down Adobe and any other application it deems may not fit in the scheme of apples platform, but that may hurt apple because just like Microsoft is a Monopoly to PC's, Adobe is a Monopoly to Video, Photo and creative media. although I hate both Apple and adobe, I believe Adobe will come out on top of this silly war because they have so many media applications. Apple is just cutting their nose to spite their face.

Syphon Filter   May 2nd, 2010 11:00 pm ET

Most people here do make sense. In that if apple opens up its I-Phone, it will only make it better. I definitely believe in open applications and sharing technologies. A good example of this is like the drug manufacturers. They all have patents for certain types of diseases, and we would find a cure much faster if the roadblocks of patents on diseases weren't in place. When a lab sees a patent to cure a disease, they have to disregard all the info and start from scratch.

Mike   May 2nd, 2010 11:12 pm ET

lol, Apple should just give Adobe the finger by developing their own, improved player for flash content or build off of gnash. lol, if they do, then they could make the improvements for certain problems that adobe has seemingly ignored. But in all honesty, flash needs to die because of its archaic nature and because there hasn't been any major change for quite some time except for hardware decodation of H.264, which has been present in some video cards for quite some time before adobe began to touch it...

Anthony   May 2nd, 2010 11:13 pm ET

why can't they just put their heads together on a new developement in presentation delivery .. stop being a bunch of whine-ass, crying babies, sissy la la's .. gad 😛

lush   May 3rd, 2010 12:20 am ET

Why do we need flash for again??? Can anyone explain to me the necessity of Flash???

lush   May 3rd, 2010 12:22 am ET

Why do we need flash for again??? Can anyone explain to me the necessity of having Flash???

D.Zyph   May 3rd, 2010 12:54 am ET

Adobe: I will not make CS5's for MAC... bwahahaha...

Jobs: I beg you... I promise to have flash on my iPhone... T_T

A.Wright   May 3rd, 2010 1:35 am ET

Most of you that are calling flash "outdated" or saying Apple should "stick" it to Adobe don't know what you are talking about. Flash is an industry standard and it isn't "buggy". What is "buggy" is when people don't know how to properly code their flash apps. Flash has been evolving since its inception and will continue to evolve as technology advances keeping it on the forefront of interactive media for a long time to come.

The only reason Apple is giving flash the "snub" is because Apple doesn't control it. Given Apple's track record, I don't think they can come up with a better solution. Case in point, quicktime. What a massive piece of crap. So many other (non-Apple) programs do what quicktime is supposed to do, better, faster and less resource intensive. I've considered buying Apple products in the past and now but due to Apple's restrictiveness and the costliness of Apples computers, have always ruled against it. The only Apple product I will own is an iPod. The iPhone, no way. iPad, sleek and not bad but again, the restrictiveness and lack of flash, nope.

Mr. Jobs, I hope you read this. Get off your high horse and quit being so restrictive in allowing applications for your products and you just might be able to garner more than 4% of the computer market.

Robert   May 3rd, 2010 1:50 am ET

Adobe needs to get their crap together. Flash has and still runs like crap. Lets not blame Apple for pointing out the obvious.

Craig   May 3rd, 2010 2:58 am ET

Adobe, I like your design products, I like the way your InDesign kicked Quarks gluteus maximus a few years back, but seriously Adobe, you are following in the footsteps of Quark with your arrogance over this one. Steve Jobs is 100% right, the iPhone has been out for over 3 years and STILL no secure Flash product for mobile devices. Its too late to save you now.

Sency   May 3rd, 2010 3:32 am ET

this Adobe and Apple war is pretty interesting – it never ends

Taylor   May 3rd, 2010 4:37 am ET

While it is certainly Apple's right to prevent Flash from being included on their hardware, I feel that they are making a poor choice. Adobe Flash is a cornerstone for many multimedia applications and has grown to become a powerful tool. Sure, there are sometimes bugs and abnormalities - but that's how technology is.

Kudos to Adobe

Searles O'Dubhain   May 3rd, 2010 5:57 am ET

I think both companies suck when it comes to actually responding to user needs. Both seem to be suffering from "god complexes." Don't get me wrong, they have amazing products that are worth having if you can run them. They just suffer from limited management/user response. I'm currently having to run my Adobe products on 32 bit XP because Adobe can't or won't update them. The iPhone we have is limited by a lack of Flash and the fact it is only available through AT&T. I jail broke that baby so we can at least use it on a cellphone system with coverage and integrity. I'll try breaking the iPhone block on Flash as has been suggested by others. Might be a HUGE market there folks. Meanwhile the Droid is looking better and better.

Paul   May 3rd, 2010 7:37 am ET

Shouldn't it be up to the consumer? Why is Steve Jobs telling me what I can't have on my phone? I buy the hardware from you, let me do what I want with it.

J. M. Pelland   May 3rd, 2010 7:39 am ET

What people don't know or realize is that Apple's original boycott of Flash on their mobile devices stems back as far as the original iPhone. They haven't refused to incorporate it because they dislike it or think it's old news, it's simply that flash programming is a hardware hog. To allow flash on the iPhone, iPod Touch, or the iPad would mean a significant loss in battery life (by some estimates up to 30%). Apple simply made the choice to dismiss the option to use a popular format in favor of a less popular and less taxing one.

rfm33428   May 3rd, 2010 7:58 am ET

I side with Steve Jobs. However.....I realize how much 'Flash' is used & at least in some cases needed. I believe fault lies with Adobe. Instead of moving there focus away from Apple, they should be working on resolving the issues Mr. Jobs has stated to maybe gain Apple's support. In general, Adobe should be working on fixes all around more than spreading their platform to different devices. Instead they tuck their tales between their legs to find, or well force, their product into new & upcoming devices that nobody wants because it's buggy. Yet everyone needs it because of lack of choice. What's another word for Adobe? Microsoft. LOL I will admit that Windows 7 is an improvement.

espada   May 3rd, 2010 8:02 am ET

I read the other blog and it says that flash is one of the reasons macs crash so much. Why would I want to but a computer that can't even handle flash then?

lol   May 3rd, 2010 8:48 am ET

Regardless of the merits of flash or apple's stated position, it has nothing to do with either. Its all just smoke and mirrors, so debating whether flash is good on a mobile is pointless.

The real reason for flash not being on iphone or ipad is simple. Money. Apple controls the itunes app store and makes money off it. Flash would provide a way around that. The release of steve job's letter stating their position and criticizing flash has more to do with apple trying to distract attention from its gestapo tactics over the lost/recovered iphone 4g prototype than anything else.

Regardless of your opinion of apple or whether or not flash should be on an Iphone/Ipad, it would be nice to see people apply critical thinking to what they read instead of believing everything word for word.

MajorMatt   May 3rd, 2010 8:49 am ET

Just two big dogs peeing on the bushes...

Rob K   May 3rd, 2010 8:55 am ET

Apple is going to shoot itself in the foot like it did in the 80s. As a consumer, I don't want to be told how I should use my device. If you think flash causes crashes, and eats battery power, then fine, just make sure users understand the issues and that apple will not support any issues related to Flash. But don't block me from installing it if I want it. I for one will NEVER buy another apply product as long as they continue to be this idiotic.

Reggie   May 3rd, 2010 9:10 am ET

If MS was doing what Apple is doing, we'd hear screams of monopoly and unfair business practices. Apple is MS in a cute disguise.

Matt   May 3rd, 2010 9:26 am ET

Good for Apple, Flash stinks, AIR is just plain stupid...

We need better stuff and html5 is the way...bye, bye flash!

A true techie   May 3rd, 2010 9:27 am ET

Steve Jobs is full of it. He simply wants full control of his systems – which, by the way, is totally fine – but all he needs to do is say that instead of snubbing Flash as though it's crap. Why, as a developer, would I want to PAY for the Apple SDK, learn it, and then develop applications that can only run on a specific platform when I can develop in Flash for free? Flash is the web. The web experience we have today wouldn't exit without it (i.e. YouTube).

Apple has the right to control their product the way they see fit, but they might want to be careful because the Android, Palm, and all of these other smartphones are going to catch up to the hype and then Apple will be struggling to find some new way to set it's gadgets apart from everything else.

Mark   May 3rd, 2010 9:38 am ET

Solid point "a true techie." HTML 5, by the way, is only intended to REDUCE not replace the need for these browser plugins such as Flash. But Flash will by no means be going away. Flash has transformed the way we surf the web. Look at all of our major sports websites, youtube, photography sites... Flash isn't going anywhere and anyone who thinks that it is is just plain stupid and not immersed in the development field enough to know their head from their ass.

Harry   May 3rd, 2010 9:55 am ET

A TRUE TECHIE - you hit it right on the nose.

djpondo   May 3rd, 2010 10:01 am ET

For those people who really love Flash, try turning 'OFF' a FLASH Ad or other FLASH animated object if you don't want to see it. FLASH is a memory hog and is especially irritating on our older computers. I removed FLASH from 5 computers in the Office and all computers at home because it caused crashes and unwanted distractions. I will not reload FLASH on any of our computers until Adobe provides an way to turn it 'OFF'.

robj   May 3rd, 2010 10:09 am ET

I would like to thank Steve Jobs for expediting getting Flash on my Droid!!

Apples are for eating and nothing more...

JOHN   May 3rd, 2010 10:11 am ET

I am willing to sell my iphone it has no future , I will buy me a android handy . Flash is gaining on Importans day for day trying to ignor flash will only cause costumers to leave apple of course google knows how to make profit out of this situation

Convair   May 3rd, 2010 10:12 am ET

Apple is the new evil tech giant.

Jimmy Dunn   May 3rd, 2010 10:26 am ET

What can I say? Why not give me the choice of using Flash, Apple? If I agree with Jobs I just won't use it. As it stands though, very soon I plan on abandoning my iphone in favor of a phone that can use flash. Just waiting.

Bm   May 3rd, 2010 10:35 am ET

Having read between the two (steve jobs post, and adobe response)
Steve Jobs is much more specific than Adobe's response...

So right there off the bat, i'm leaning more in Apple's favor.

Second as this issue has helped me understand a little more on how flash works and what it does... that and having somewhat regular browser crashes due to flash media (both PC and Mac), I have to side with apple on this more than adobe, at least until adobe reworks flash implementation (which i doubt they are going to overhaul the whole thing).

Matt   May 3rd, 2010 10:37 am ET

wow... you Apple-lovers are bashing Adobe for making slow and bloated/buggy apps, yet you easily forget how HORRIBLE the iTunes application is– its slow, bloated, and took me about an hour or more just to update it this past weekend to the latest version, so I could then sync my iPhone on it, which took another 20+ minutes... My Windows Mobile phone and Active Sync installs and syncs much faster than the iPhone.

Marcos   May 3rd, 2010 10:42 am ET

C'mon Apple. Give me a break, why all the mumbo jumbo about Flash this and that. Most free TV on the web is available via Flash. I can understand having problems using flash to its greatest capability but at least do something such that web videos in Flash can be seen on an iPhone/iPad. I might have turn my iPhone in for a Droid if Adobe gets Flash player on it.

Deevo   May 3rd, 2010 10:50 am ET

If Adobe's Flash does in fact suck (and I think it does), Steve Jobs has every right to use it with Apple products and look for another vendor and solution. What's the big deal?

paul   May 3rd, 2010 10:55 am ET

i love using flash and think its better to have a standard program for web applications. Constantly downloading new programs just to play video seems totally unnecessary. the problem is Adobe products are WAY too expensive! photoshop alone is around $100 and a whole package can be over 2 grand! it's ludicrous, especially with the growing number of free alternatives out there.

haywoodj   May 3rd, 2010 10:58 am ET

If Steve Jobs wants to be a jerk let him. I vote Adobe kill all product releases for Apple. No more CS anything for that platform. Let Apple have Quark and and their Final Cut, see how useful your Apple is then. All these News orgs would probably spaz out since all they know is how to use an Apple. So much Apple news. But then I suppose Apple does need all the attention, it is a platform of Prima donnas.

Tami   May 3rd, 2010 11:02 am ET

Apple has always been proprietary. Up to this point, they've been able to maintain that extreme control despite being years behind other mobile providers (photo messaging, wallpapers, tethering, etc.). But things are changing.
With companies consolidating to build better products and to survive the economic downturn, incredible pressure is being brought to bear to give the public what they want: a singular, cross-platform application that is not proprietary. Apple might be big, in and of itself, but the masses will leave if they find a better product.
Apple will soon find itself in a vicious fight for survival if they do not reach compromise.

JRS   May 3rd, 2010 11:16 am ET

Jobs has become very arrogant with his recent successes involving the i-crap series. Every major mobile player is signing on with Flash except Jobs, so once again he's isolating his devices and making them more proprietary instead of following industry standards.

Robert   May 3rd, 2010 11:16 am ET

I'll stand by Adobe any day. Their products transformed the web, not Apple products. All Apple every did was sell cheap music on poorly made player. Adobe will help other developers crush Apple in the long term. Steve Jobs would serve himself well by stopping his proprietary approach to development. This is exactly what happened to Sony. The once king of AV equipment is no longer so because they kept too much to close to them. Now aside from the Playstation Sony is nothing more than another brand of flat panel. Actually Samsung makes Sony panels, so they don't even do that. Go Adobe Go!!!

Kadavy   May 3rd, 2010 11:25 am ET

I'm a creative director for print, web and mobile media. I and my team use the tools that both Adobe and Apple develop. I think that flash is a wonderful tool and although I am saddened by the iPhone's lack of flash use I do understand it as well.

Processor needs, energy requirements and security issues are not as easily controlled when incorporating third party apps; flash.

I think Jobs could have just left it at flash isn't right for our product at this time.... but that's another story.

Dave   May 3rd, 2010 11:32 am ET

Have any of you moron ever heard of a little app called Photoshop? Or After Effects, Illustrator, InDesign, Postscript 3 etc. All of you who claim that Adobe only makes crap are totally ignorant. If you're only interactions with Adobe products are Flash and Acrobat, then just shut up. You have no idea what you're tallking about. Their graphics apps are industry standard and have been for a long time. Adobe apps kept Apple alive in the 90s.

Hugo   May 3rd, 2010 11:42 am ET

@Yo Yo Alex: If apple stops making Creative Suite for Mac, then Adobe will be out of business. Publishing is 95% Mac. That goes for newspapers, magazines etc.. Even PC Magazine is made on the Mac.

Hugo   May 3rd, 2010 11:42 am ET

I meant if Adobe stops making CS...

Paul   May 3rd, 2010 11:56 am ET

I have a football, but you can't play with us. Next thing they will be members of congress

JavaJ   May 3rd, 2010 11:59 am ET

Who flippin cares- it's just Flash- maybe I should get ticked off that Silverlight is not an option on the iphone. Oh no- Apple is going to go under because they don't support Flash- get a grip people- if you hate Apple- then hate them- if you love them- great. It's just technology- nothing more (and in the end- it all goes obsolete).

Steven Cravis   May 3rd, 2010 12:14 pm ET

I side with both. Why doesn't Adobe simply make a designer application, or export function for Flash design that exports it as an App for the iPhone, iPods and iPad???!???

Travis   May 3rd, 2010 12:18 pm ET

That pot has called the kettle black too many times. Apple products crash on their own because they are digital devices programmed to do billions of calculations. I've had to restart my Apple devices, INCLUDING a Mac, so many times that I stopped using them for some of the "convenience" things I was looking for. For them to talk about another company having those kinds of problems is pathetic.

Dennis   May 3rd, 2010 12:49 pm ET

Frankly, maybe it's time to push for HTML 5 or better. Adobe can talk all it wants, but ubtil the have Flash for 64 bit browsers I am unimpressed. Yes, I know full well how to use the 32 bit browser but I do not wish to do so. Keep in mind, we are 5 to 7 years (probably less) from 128 bit browser use. Adobe needs to get off the slow train.

Digitaljay   May 3rd, 2010 1:11 pm ET

To all the Apple fans who point at Adobe's Flash as proprietary, let me suggest you consider that Apple is the most proprietary company out there. They have locked out anyone from making compatible machines, they mandate the OS and control every aspect of "Apple World". They lock the iPhone. In my not-so-humble opinion, they are a bigger monopoly the M$ ever dreamed of. At least in "PC-Land", one can pick and choose the equipment, the level of OS (admittedly too many choices in Windows), even a non-Windows one.

Seems to me this is one pot calling the kettle black.....

Old Bill   May 3rd, 2010 1:27 pm ET

This will be over when Apple buys Adobe.

Kelly   May 3rd, 2010 1:39 pm ET

Apple has a real concern with Flash. I have never seen an app use as much resources as flash does. It has also cause many crashes of my browser. Why ask for trouble by putting it on one of the most stable platforms there is? Adobe, figure out what the problem is and then get back to Apple with something worthy of being on an Apple.

awesomeness   May 3rd, 2010 1:39 pm ET

apple used to be cool

Vinod   May 3rd, 2010 1:44 pm ET

I think the big issue for Steve Jobs here is that once he lets Flash onto the iPhone, there aren't going to be as many developers devevloping apps to be sold through the app store. They might as well create a flash based app and put it on any webpage, so iPhone users can just use safari to get to that page. The cut that apple gets from all 3rd party app sales is no longer a concern, and they could start looking at other web hosts that could put up their flash based apps for the iPhone.

ChicagoPete   May 3rd, 2010 1:44 pm ET

If you value freedom, you have to side with Adobe on this, even if you hate flash.

All Apps are optional! Are people really thinking that just because they don't want it, it means nobody should want it or have it?

Apple might have some financial reasons for keeping flash off their phones – whatever. That's their freedom. I'll get something with flash when my contract is up. The Earth will keep turning. Apple will become the new Windows.

I just don't get the mentality of "Flash sucks, therefore nobody should have it." I want it, warts and all. How can Apple be right just because you don't want it. That's not an arguement, that's just saying you support Apple because their decision doesn't impact you. You can hate Flash and still value freedom, you know.

I install lots of Apps that suck my battery dry (Angry Birds, anyone?) but it's my phone, and I want it, and I'll pay for it.

Dave   May 3rd, 2010 1:46 pm ET

Considering the consistently bad code that Adobe keeps releasing, with vulnerability on top of vulnerability, I hope Apple will be the company to break Adobe's stranglehold. Maybe if we're really lucky, Apple will be the one to release a good suite of open source products to replace Adobe's garbage.

dave   May 3rd, 2010 2:01 pm ET

How ironic that apple is living up to the evil side depicted in their '1984' commercial that they had so many years ago...

Caitlin K.   May 3rd, 2010 2:20 pm ET

Sometimes I think that Apple is just trying to make products as useless as possible just to see how many people will buy them because it's "the next wonder in computing techology" or whatever sensational attention grabbing tag line they choose to use.

Bubba   May 3rd, 2010 2:23 pm ET

So the iPadpod can't see YouTube? Big fail then. But no biggie for me because I don't use apples.

Robcokc   May 3rd, 2010 2:38 pm ET

What do you expect from a fruit. Adobe will do just fine without Steve Jobs and Apple. just like all the rest of the normal world will.......

Bubba   May 3rd, 2010 2:48 pm ET

See, the thing is that I do buy Adobe stuff and I don't buy apple stuff. This doesn't make me wanna run out and buy fruit, and that's what's really wrong about it.

ghiagirl   May 3rd, 2010 3:16 pm ET

I say screw Adobe. Apple should come out with their own open source suite. Adobe is always crashing & flash sucks! So what if you can't use youtube, isn't everyone sick of that crap yet? At least the stuff Apple puts out there WORKS!

Ricardo Salinas   May 3rd, 2010 4:07 pm ET

At first i thought that I wouldn't miss out without Flash but now that I have my iPad 3G I can see (or rather not see) that at this day and age Flash is an absolute must.
Come on Steve, don't be a bad sport! I get your point but we all have to suffer in the meantime.

Need flash   May 3rd, 2010 4:07 pm ET

I will be witching from iphone to android as soon as contract is up becuase apple is acting more like big brother than any other company i know

Tech Guy   May 3rd, 2010 4:27 pm ET

Here's a suggestion for Apple, prove it!!! Prove that flash technology crashes iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad devices.

Rommel   May 3rd, 2010 4:54 pm ET

"who do you side with?"

I don't care. I have android phone right now and I expect to have flash supported in my browser. If I had iPhone I expect the same thing. Customer is always right you know.😉

greebo   May 3rd, 2010 5:01 pm ET

Awwww QQ. It's called standards. Thank god Apple has them. They care about how their product performs and flash doesn't cut the mustard.

John   May 3rd, 2010 5:08 pm ET

To greebo above: Don't use QQ if you don't know what it means.

CaptNemo   May 3rd, 2010 5:42 pm ET

Can't visit http://www.hulu.com & watch video??
No sale.

CaptNemo   May 3rd, 2010 5:56 pm ET

I visited an Apple store in Kansas City to look over the new iPAD.
Salesdroid told me it was 'Internet Friendly', and would 'Enhance my Net experience'...
I couldn't get the iPAD to do *ANYTHING* that was Net friendly, OR enhance my Net experience. All this and LESS for a mere $600??
I think not. Especially when I just bought an ASUS Netbook that tethers to the Net via my Palm Pre Plus phone. I paid $200 for the ASUS & $29 for the Palm Pre Plus. And the Netbook fits into my car's glovebox so I can manipulate my car's ECU settings. Very useful!
The same type of items would have cost me over $1000 via Apple, and those items would be crippled, with no USB, Flash, replaceable battery packs, etc.
To quote Pee Wee, "Milk, milk, Lemonade?"
Personally, demand useful products that *DON'T* sit around collecting dust, making a fashion statement.

Brad   May 3rd, 2010 6:06 pm ET

Flash sucks. Buggy, slow to load, crash-inducing. In most cases, waiting for Flash sites to load isn't worth the experience. Thank god Apple is sounding the death drum on this outdated nuisance. Adobe: evolve or die (which you will if you ignore Apple).

Mark B.   May 3rd, 2010 6:16 pm ET

Flash is an evil that, unfortunately, adequately filled a gap. The gap no longer exists, i.e. open standards (e.g. HTML5) now support the features and functionality that Adobe's (read: Macromedia's) Flash product once held a Monopoly on. I don't like it on my desktop, and I certainly don't want it on my phone eating up processor, memory and battery like the virus it is.

For the record, I am a Microsoft platform developer – not an Apple "droid."

IT Dude   May 3rd, 2010 6:28 pm ET

They need to develop a new Rich-media player and they can name it "FlaPple"

jeff s   May 3rd, 2010 7:19 pm ET

Microsoft IE 9 WILL support Flash, who ever said they wont didnt read the whole article. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363355,00.asp

Rich Ressel   May 3rd, 2010 7:27 pm ET

Apple has made very valid points. It was a measured and appropriate response that pointed to better technolgogies as alternatives to Flash and a strong argument for open source web standards that provide a superior use experience.

Kevin H   May 3rd, 2010 7:48 pm ET

Adobe products have always been bug-ridden. They've always had memory and other issues. Adobe has never rebuilt from the ground up. Some of their products (Adobe Captivate, for instance) are not backwards compatible. Long ago the Mac OS was the preferred platform for graphics development – really for all things creative. I think Apple has some work cut out for it. But in all fairness Microsoft and Adobe are not strong on standards. Both firms have largely marched to the beat of their own drummers. Today Microsoft is so proprietary that I think its products pose national security risks. In particular the fact that so many of their enterprise products only work in certain versions of Internet Explorer is an issue. .NET apps down't run in Firefox or any other standards based browser. The same is true about Adobe – they have some real issues – they can say they are working with other vendors – but they are not committed to developing open standards and re-writing their applications from the ground up. Adobe apps should work well for all users – Mac, Windows, Linux or any other GUI based OS.

James Kirk   May 3rd, 2010 8:57 pm ET

Apple should just buy Adobe and get on with life.

Brian in Texas   May 3rd, 2010 9:16 pm ET

Let's face it, the company that has vision and sees the future wins every time in the technology world. Meanwhile, Adobe is trying to blame their downfall on Apple's "legal terms" instead of facing the fact that they have clunky technology that won't cut it in the future.

bobk   May 3rd, 2010 10:49 pm ET

The beginning of the end of Flash started before the iPhone even existed. Jobs just recognizes that. Those that have a problem with it my not have recognized that yet.

Bryon Reece (sonic frequency)   May 4th, 2010 3:49 am ET

Apple is being extremely stupid! Selling iPad without flash for its browser—have fun surfing the web on that piece of crap. APPLE SHOULDN’T TELL ME WHAT I CAN AND CANT USE!!!!! I’m really not liking the dictation from Apple…I sold my MAC yesterday and bought a PC because it’s BS. It’s like Microsoft telling Apple…we won’t allow u to have iTunes on our machines. STOP THE DICTATION APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryon Reece (sonic frequency)   May 4th, 2010 4:02 am ET

One last thing….Eagerly awaiting the flash for the DROID phone and Apple is not the only kid on the block!!! I think Apple has a big EGO! All the iPAD users are less than when it comes to surfing the web without Flash. Your web experience has just been tied up with Apples big vision…..What a Joke! HTML5 will not be the end of Flash…I should know because I’m a web developer.😉

Anonymous   May 4th, 2010 5:53 am ET

"As soon as flash is proven to work on other phones, my iphone will turn into an extra music player for those long flights!!!!! Oh by the way, AT&T I'm still waiting for tethering as well!!!!"

I think you mean short flights....

Anonymous   May 4th, 2010 5:58 am ET

Ironically, the Adobe "response" page crashed my browser the first time I tried to load it. Way to go...

Designer   May 4th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

As a professional Flash developer, I can honestly say "Yay Apple" on this one because Flash is the bane of my existence. Even though Flash is my full-time profession and it puts the food on the table for me, I can honestly say as an expert in this field that Flash is a hackjob of a program that is filled with the most ridiculous bugs and processor drains.

Adobe has repeatedly failed to remedy this after YEARS of the same problems. Flash can do some cool things, but at great expense to the processor and RAM. There are now methods for web development that can do practically everything Flash does – but without the Flash! So why in the world would we allow an arcane program that did not keep up with the times to control the future of web development? Consider this a necessary purge. Flash is dead; it's just gonna take a year or two for everyone to realize it.

And no, Adobe won't pull products from the mac because 50% of it's sales are to mac users (designers!). Apple can snub Adobe, but Adobe is genuinely screwed on this one because they refused to get with the program.

Disclosure: I use Adobe and Apple products every day to make a living🙂

Calvin   May 5th, 2010 3:49 am ET

Flash a great browsing experience and like many plugins, there tend to be problems. So why don't Apple sits down with Adobe and try to perfect the system instead of dropping such a popular web based platform instead?

White Plains Charlie   June 7th, 2010 2:51 pm ET

given how often my PC crashes from Flash rich websites I don't blame Steve Jobs for the snub.

DancingKim   May 11th, 2011 10:44 am ET

Hi, i'm a professional dancer. i would like to make a showreel pertaining to my promotions. I also need to use some animation. Can someone suggest me a good animation studio, but certainly not very expensive? I'm here for 3 months for a tour.
Love
Kim.

CaseyO   June 8th, 2011 5:37 pm ET

I've spent the last hour trying to download Adobe Flash Player to both my MacBook and my iphone and nothing works. I found the app for the cnn.com on my iphone and it stated it was free and also googled it on my computer so that I could keep up on world news since I only have basic cable on tv. I'm over 70 and not too computer literate so my question is, What am I doing wrong?Everything just seems to stall and do does nothing. I'd appreciate any assistance

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting   April 5th, 2012 5:50 pm ET

I just like the valuable information you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and take a look at once more right here regularly. I am somewhat sure I'll be informed many new stuff proper here! Good luck for the next!

gilmwara   August 4th, 2012 6:29 pm ET

order an memorableparty for more

icon-design   September 13th, 2012 11:25 am ET

I join. So happens. We can communicate on thistheme. Here or in PM.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

icons site   September 13th, 2012 11:30 pm ET

I consider, that you are not right. I am assured. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

By the way, what do you think about this icons site?

super mario games downloads   December 6th, 2012 9:55 am ET

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

cover letter template   December 18th, 2012 1:44 am ET

Somebody essentially assist to make significantly posts I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and so far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put up amazing. Great job!

Tad Members   January 17th, 2014 10:29 am ET

Admiring the time and effort you put into your website and in depth information you offer. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed material. Wonderful read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

Leave Your Comment